Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

Yup. Charisma defines how many allies you can get- you can even get yourself a dog in the first town. I personally recommend a little agility too, just enough to get the dodge roll because it's brokenly good.

I went the other route and went with zero charisma. I'm trying to be some kind of battlemage with heavy armor/greatsword and some magic from various trees. I've been using the skeletons so far and they seem to soak up a good amount of damage and aggro and do a fair amount of damage themselves too.

So far I think I've cleared most of the landmarks on the first area apart from the cave in the middle and the giant wasp. Next up is the story quest with that delightful dark elf you can see in my screenshots, but I think I'm already somewhat overleveled for it at 13.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1627031529577914369

lmao at the loving hud

e: oh wait this is from several days ago and I just skipped the weekend posting, has this been covered already

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there anything like pet builds and if so what should my stats be to get into that? I always have fun with those. It sounds like just high charisma, music and magic?

I'm not sure if there are Pet Companions, but there probably are. Or probably will be.

So yea I'd assume CHA focused and then whatever you want for your secondary stat. INT and go into Nature Magic and get Shape Shifting if you wanna go all in on a Menagerie. Or maybe STR / AGI if you wanna be like a Raised By Wolves kinda savage Elyas Machera kinda arche type.

EDIT: There is one pet companion

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk exactly what prompted this - they didn’t even tag SEGA or RGG in the tweet - but now I’d like a marginalia drawing for all major releases please.

https://twitter.com/obsidian/status/1628119916774821888?s=46&t=xo6xQM3OJN0egqcmr7VHEw

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Oldstench posted:

How does Returnal run on lower-specced machines? I'm rocking an i5-6600K and a 1660 Ti; not exactly a powerhouse.
I've been running it @ 1440p on a Ryzen 5600X and an underclocked Radeon 5700 XT and it's been really smooth (a stable 60+ FPS) with most settings on epic, though I did turn on FSR in quality mode. Over the course of like 20 hours I've only run into a single room that made my PC drop down to ~50 FPS. (it had a whole bunch of laser beam traps in it, but thankfully no enemies so it didn't even matter much)

Benchmark performance was a bit worse though with an average ~50 fps, but that hasn't been at all representative of the actual game for me. It also had my GPU load at 100% while CPU was much lower, so it's more of a GPU dependent game it seems.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FastestGunAlive posted:

I really enjoyed Fireteam but I’m a sucker for aliens. Reviews were generally fine I believe. I think there is a lot of variety due to the different classes and weapons you can use to make builds. However the gameplay loop is the same throughout- proceed through fairly linear levels, occasionally stopping to fight off a few waves of xenos or androids while you wait on a timer or mess with a macguffin.

I think it really was a labor of love for the dev team. It’s not an aaa budget but it has a lot of great touches that fans will appreciate. Sound design and the fire effects are top notch.

Can’t speak to playing solo but I had a ton of fun playing with friends. Randoms are hit or miss- there’s no voice or text chat. Matchmaking is still active in the medium and hard difficulties.

Thanks…sucker for Aliens stuff too. I’m already downloading it! Hoping to play it with my grown son and his friends if I can suggest it instead of WZ2 or Rocket League some game night soon.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zoux posted:

lmao at the loving hud

e: oh wait this is from several days ago and I just skipped the weekend posting, has this been covered already

I like the body just popping in, in clear view of the camera at 0:50!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Veotax posted:

I like the body just popping in, in clear view of the camera at 0:50!

It's called a Miracle, you blasphemer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oldstench posted:

How does Returnal run on lower-specced machines? I'm rocking an i5-6600K and a 1660 Ti; not exactly a powerhouse.

I'm running a TR1950x and RTX 3070 which is kind of an odd combination of parts. Unfortunately getting stutters like a lot of people, I'm assuming it's on account of the processor having a relatively low single-core speed. Was really looking forward to the game but at the moment I'm waiting for another patch and trying to keep playtime low so I can still refund it if performance doesn't improve. For a fast-paced bullet hell game the stuttering makes it kind of unplayable.

Stutters have been reported on much better hardware though so maybe it's just busted for certain setups.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

zoux posted:

lmao at the loving hud

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure if there are Pet Companions, but there probably are. Or probably will be.

So yea I'd assume CHA focused and then whatever you want for your secondary stat. INT and go into Nature Magic and get Shape Shifting if you wanna go all in on a Menagerie. Or maybe STR / AGI if you wanna be like a Raised By Wolves kinda savage Elyas Machera kinda arche type.

EDIT: There is one pet companion

drat, does this mean there's multi-classing? Jesus/Romulus & Renus sounds kinda sacriligious.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm running a TR1950x and RTX 3070 which is kind of an odd combination of parts. Unfortunately getting stutters like a lot of people, I'm assuming it's on account of the processor having a relatively low single-core speed. Was really looking forward to the game but at the moment I'm waiting for another patch and trying to keep playtime low so I can still refund it if performance doesn't improve. For a fast-paced bullet hell game the stuttering makes it kind of unplayable.

Stutters have been reported on much better hardware though so maybe it's just busted for certain setups.

the worst of the stuttering is related to having raytracing enabled, if you turn off every RT setting it's much better behaved

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/authorblues/status/1628131423105257474

In my day, games were a penny for a pound of bits. Now, you had to put them together yourself but

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Uncompress all that audio and textures for Big Value

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can't wait for the steam sale, gonna find some 100GB games for cheap

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Steam discussion forums have always been a cesspool but it feels like more so recently every new release is flooded with poo poo like that; people (kids) complaining that it costs too much, complaining that it's "woke" because it has women/POC in it, complaining that the female protagonist isn't hot enough (???, Returnal), etc.. Just a lot of trolls farming for troll stickers or whatever or just assholes spamming threads about complete nonsense and it's crazy that it just happens unchecked I guess. Sometimes it's nice checking in to see the current temperature of the playerbase on a game to see if updates have improved it and it's getting increasingly harder to do through Steam because trolls and general loving assholes gum up the works.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

Steam discussion forums have always been a cesspool but it feels like more so recently every new release is flooded with poo poo like that; people (kids) complaining that it costs too much, complaining that it's "woke" because it has women/POC in it, complaining that the female protagonist isn't hot enough (???, Returnal), etc.. Just a lot of trolls farming for troll stickers or whatever or just assholes spamming threads about complete nonsense and it's crazy that it just happens unchecked I guess. Sometimes it's nice checking in to see the current temperature of the playerbase on a game to see if updates have improved it and it's getting increasingly harder to do through Steam because trolls and general loving assholes gum up the works.

Yeah, at the very least, never look at a steam forum for a game until after it's been out for like, six months. Maybe a year. Then it settles into people who actually play it and care, instead of just edgelords.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just go to the game's subreddit, I don't think I've ever read the Steam forums outside of getting linked there from googling something.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, at the very least, never look at a steam forum for a game until after it's been out for like, six months. Maybe a year. Then it settles into people who actually play it and care, instead of just edgelords.

And thank God for that because if no one has posted a steam guide with the info I'm looking for, I have to find a loving discord and dig through that instead and I hate it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

I just go to the game's subreddit, I don't think I've ever read the Steam forums outside of getting linked there from googling something.

Yeah this is usually the right move.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

repiv posted:

the worst of the stuttering is related to having raytracing enabled, if you turn off every RT setting it's much better behaved

Tried all sorts of settings, turning off RT helps a bit but isn't a complete fix. They released a patch shortly after launch which dealt with the fatal errors experienced by a lot of players, the stuttering is mentioned in lots of negative reviews so I would imagine they're prioritizing it for whichever patch comes next.

Was kind of surprised to have any performance issues given how comprehensive the benchmarking tool is, it's clear they've put effort into the port instead of it being another shoddy afterthought. Sony has been good about their ports, I'm assuming the issues with this one will be smoothed out over time like they did with HZD.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Died to the first boss in Returnal, nice. TITLECARD

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Likewise.

I got Skyrim VR setup over the weekend for my Index; 100% of the time, the game phys glitches out on the cart you spawn in and it's literally unplayable out of the box [for me anyways]. Like I tried 6 different times and the intro segment glitched out in different fantastic ways each time. I went to the Steam Community Hub looking to download the popular / necessary mods, low and behold there's a Guide right on the landing page titled "Skyrim VR Modding Made Easy" and it links to a modpack with a whole bunch of horny texture/model replacement packs lol.

Went straight to the VR thread here and on Reddit and eventually got the game sorted and playable after like 4 hours.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

Looks significantly sharper but that's mainly due to comparing 4K on PC vs non-4K on PS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temntOfITRQ

I've enjoyed the game enough on PS5 that I might really re-buy it on PC just for the spiffier graphics and the ability to play it on the Steam Deck :negative:

Thanks for linking that.

and on the second point, very much :same:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks…sucker for Aliens stuff too. I’m already downloading it! Hoping to play it with my grown son and his friends if I can suggest it instead of WZ2 or Rocket League some game night soon.

Cheers hope you all enjoy

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sab669 posted:

Likewise.

I got Skyrim VR setup over the weekend for my Index; 100% of the time, the game phys glitches out on the cart you spawn in and it's literally unplayable out of the box [for me anyways]. Like I tried 6 different times and the intro segment glitched out in different fantastic ways each time. I went to the Steam Community Hub looking to download the popular / necessary mods, low and behold there's a Guide right on the landing page titled "Skyrim VR Modding Made Easy" and it links to a modpack with a whole bunch of horny texture/model replacement packs lol.

Went straight to the VR thread here and on Reddit and eventually got the game sorted and playable after like 4 hours.

Oh man when I had my VR on and the cart started flipping around it almost made me sick. Yeah, an alternate start mod is pretty much required.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

zoux posted:

lmao at the loving hud

lmao

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Oldstench posted:

I'm on a 5950x , 3090, 64GB of RAM nVME SSD @ 4K (under Win11) and I get frequent stuttering from poo poo loading in, mostly when changing rooms though I'm usually at 60fps. Others have reported stuttering issues as well. The explode after dashing skill seem to cause a slight stutter at the end every time, it's weird.

It's playable but it's definitely not smooth on my system.

repiv posted:

RT all off on my machine, I always leave that poo poo off, it's never worth it.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 21, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played Elden ring almost to the end on a 3080 card, 16gb of ram, and a 3600 CPU. I got frequent hitches. Tried many different settings and never fixed it. Haven't opened it in like 8+ months... Are the hitches fixed? I tried all kinds of fixes etc.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

redreader posted:

I played Elden ring almost to the end on a 3080 card, 16gb of ram, and a 3600 CPU. I got frequent hitches. Tried many different settings and never fixed it. Haven't opened it in like 8+ months... Are the hitches fixed? I tried all kinds of fixes etc.

I'm currently playing it on the same setup except a 3060ti. It's not exactly smooth. But I've never been one to really tweak it. I think I've got it set to 1440p at Medium settings.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

redreader posted:

I had a very similar setup the last time I played and I'm almost certain it got a lot better. The reason I say "almost" is because I upgraded to a 5700 about 7 months ago, but I'm pretty sure I put the game down before that and only booted it up to see how it ran on the new CPU.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
What the gently caress, I can count the amount of hitches I've had in Returnal and Elden Ring on one hand and I'm on an almost three year old mid-range Radeon. :psyduck: Maybe it's because my specs are similar to the consoles they originated from?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Exodee posted:

What the gently caress, I can count the amount of hitches I've had in Returnal and Elden Ring on one hand and I'm on an almost three year old mid-range Radeon. :psyduck: Maybe it's because my specs are similar to the consoles they originated from?

Pretty easy to find people reporting the same poo poo about Returnal on the PS5, it might just be that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/ndptcr/is_anyone_experiencing_this_kind_of_stutter/

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'm on a 2070 super and have never had a single hitch. I have it maxed out at 1440p and it drops to like 55 fps (with dynamic settings) in wooded areas and that's about it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

redreader posted:

i5-4670k, 16gb & 1050ti/4gb, zero hitches since launch @ 1440p

Goes without saying but an SSD is basically required for anything these days so if you're still using a platter, that's your problem.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Random question but is there a thread to add friends on steam ?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

fit em all up in there posted:

Random question but is there a thread to add friends on steam ?

This thread exists, although it's not exclusively for Steam: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020783

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

RandomBlue posted:

Pretty easy to find people reporting the same poo poo about Returnal on the PS5, it might just be that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/ndptcr/is_anyone_experiencing_this_kind_of_stutter/
That video doesn't load for me, but I did find this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DNh1Z14IQ

And yeah, if it's that subtle then I probably haven't noticed it much during gameplay. It's maybe also harder to notice when using mouse controls.

I've also seen people report some much nastier hitches on PC though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGqhh5Htx4o
And that's definitely not something I've had much of at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

i5-4670k, 16gb & 1050ti/4gb, zero hitches since launch @ 1440p

Goes without saying but an SSD is basically required for anything these days so if you're still using a platter, that's your problem.

everyone gets the hitches in elden ring, it's an inherent problem with the engine, the question is just whether you notice it or not

the problem is that it compiles shaders on-demand the first time they're used, causing a sharp spike in CPU usage, which is an issue that will affect any setup

it may be more or less noticeable depending on the framerate you run the game at and the relative speed of your CPU and GPU, but it's always there

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Exodee posted:

And yeah, if it's that subtle then I probably haven't noticed it much during gameplay. It's maybe also harder to notice when using mouse controls.

Yeah, that second video is what I experience. It's annoying as gently caress but still playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Exodee posted:

Maybe it's just Youtube compression but I can't even see it stuttering in that PS5 video or the other one. What I've experienced on PC has been very noticeable, more like half-second lockups rather than minor stutters. Was thinking my 1950x was the problem but RandomBlue said they're getting frequent stutters with a 5950x so I don't know if an upgrade would do anything to help. This is playing off an SSD as well so that's not the issue.

What I managed to play seemed like a lot of fun, I still wouldn't try and dissuade anyone from buying it. Can always do a Steam return if you have issues with performance and it seems to run fine for the majority of people, I think I'm kind of an outlier case. There are more negative reviews complaining about the mandatory EGS installation than ones complaining about performance.