Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe it's just Youtube compression but I can't even see it stuttering in that PS5 video or the other one. What I've experienced on PC has been very noticeable, more like half-second lockups rather than minor stutters. Was thinking my 1950x was the problem but RandomBlue said they're getting frequent stutters with a 5950x so I don't know if an upgrade would do anything to help. This is playing off an SSD as well so that's not the issue.

What I managed to play seemed like a lot of fun, I still wouldn't try and dissuade anyone from buying it. Can always do a Steam return if you have issues with performance and it seems to run fine for the majority of people, I think I'm kind of an outlier case. There are more negative reviews complaining about the mandatory EGS installation than ones complaining about performance.
The first video is quite subtle, but in the second one it's very noticeable when they're nearing the red door and inspecting the log. Personally I've had something like that maybe twice over the course of 20 hours of gameplay.

But yeah making use of Steam return is good advice. I'm loving the game but it would be a lot less enjoyable if I had that much stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe it's just Youtube compression but I can't even see it stuttering in that PS5 video or the other one. What I've experienced on PC has been very noticeable, more like half-second lockups rather than minor stutters. Was thinking my 1950x was the problem but RandomBlue said they're getting frequent stutters with a 5950x so I don't know if an upgrade would do anything to help. This is playing off an SSD as well so that's not the issue.

What I managed to play seemed like a lot of fun, I still wouldn't try and dissuade anyone from buying it. Can always do a Steam return if you have issues with performance and it seems to run fine for the majority of people, I think I'm kind of an outlier case. There are more negative reviews complaining about the mandatory EGS installation than ones complaining about performance.
Have you looked at CPU temperature at all? Not sure how likely it is on an AMD processor but on my old i7-7700K, I had persistent stuttering issues (which were also more like half-second freezes) in certain games like AC:Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I ultimately tracked the issue down to thermal throttling on games with very high CPU usage. The CPU would clock down to like 800MHz very briefly. Of course that CPU was known for having awful thermal performance.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played Elden ring on the pc and returnal on the PS5, and didn't notice any hitching or anything on returnal. I'm not "sensitive to hitching", I just don't like full one-second hitches. Oh, I just remembered: after Elden ring pauses for a full second, it loony-toons-style fast forwards the video display over the next second to "catch me upon the action" very helpfully.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Volte posted:

Have you looked at CPU temperature at all? Not sure how likely it is on an AMD processor but on my old i7-7700K, I had persistent stuttering issues (which were also more like half-second freezes) in certain games like AC:Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I ultimately tracked the issue down to thermal throttling on games with very high CPU usage. The CPU would clock down to like 800MHz very briefly. Of course that CPU was known for having awful thermal performance.

Thought that might have been the issue but CoreTemp showed everything within normal parameters, none of the cores were anywhere close to the temperature where they automatically start to throttle down. I think it's just some underlying engine trouble which is going to express itself on certain systems while others are fine because PCs have endless hardware permutations and it's hard to get things running consistently for everyone. There's only been one patch and it seemed more like quickfix stuff, I don't think there's much to be done besides wait for another one and hope it fixes things.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's not really a "game" but I wanted to praise Placid Plastic Duck Simulator for a second.

Basically, it's a nice looking pool with pretty music in the background and every so often a new plastic duck drops into it and bobs around. There's a lot of different ducks and they do different things. Some are stone and sink to the bottom of the pool. Some shoot fire. Some can fly a little. Some shoot water. They interact with each other sometimes, like the fire shooting duck can set others on fire. Some new ducks "unlock" after certain things happen. You can select a few different viewpoints, or follow a specific duck around, or let it go into cinematic mode and it'll switch from duck to duck on its own. There's two environments (if you buy the DLC), a summer pool and a winter ski lodge.

For such a dumb thing, a surprising amount of love seems to have gone into it and if you miss having, like, a pretty screensaver to just put up on your monitor and have running while you do other things, this is cool. Maybe most importantly, it's only $1.99, with three DLCs (one has the new ice area, the other two are just more ducks) that are also $1.99 each, or you can get a bundle with with the base game and all the DLC for $6.76 (15% off).

It makes me happy :unsmith:

I do this but with Mountain, on both my computer and AppleTV.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

depends on your use case? discord uploads work ok but only for small stuff, catbox.moe and imgur are good, streamable works and has the best filesize/length limits but won't embed on the forums

Just looping back to this, I guess I might as well go for streamable. Any attempts to embedd catbox or discord is turning into a nightmare, and I like to think I'm not an idiot at this stuff. Guess I gotta learn to behave on twitter from now on (lmao yeah)!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's not really a "game" but I wanted to praise Placid Plastic Duck Simulator for a second.

The ducks are very good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They're good ducks, Brent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm still chugging away on a 1080 and the only hitches I've gotten in Elden Ring are the occasional one when it's clearly loading a new map chunk (or compiling the shaders for it, I guess?) and a few very specific examples where something is producing too many particle effects so the framerate gets a bit crusty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Returnal is bar none the best demonstration of my Atmos setup I've heard yet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mozi posted:

Returnal is bar none the best demonstration of my Atmos setup I've heard yet.

yeah I feel like impressions on Returnal are always going to be positive for people who like it, but playing it on a kickass home theater setup + tv + dual sense haptics was :vince:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

The Hyperion boss fight is one of the most incredible auditory experiences I've had in games for years. I was just grinning more and more as the fight went on. I obviously won't go into specifics, you'll just have to trust me until you buy the game and get there yourselves.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I come back after having fallen into Vampire Survivors for like 4 days straight, good game. Need a bit of a break from it, maybe.

Next week's going to be pretty packed for releases, looks hype, though I think I'm mostly done buying for the month and will wait for future sales. Unless that review that Rinkles posted hypes me up on Gedonia, which I had on my wishlist a while ago but dismissed due to its messy state.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The audio is great in returnal but I'm not particularly enjoying the combat. The exploration is fun, but I'm kind of ho hum on the items, and enjoy the slow drip of weird scifi mind gently caress story.

The worst part is keeping track of all the bullshit going on screen, it's just a lot, and when two or three enemies are doing the bullet hell stuff and you're also firing some space weapon at some bullet hell stuff, it's hard to identify what everything is at the same time. "Am I hitting the enemy or did they move after shooting and I can't tell because I'm needing to consider five things happening around me at the same time"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's a lot, but part of the process is training your mind to parse the noise and keep cool. Takes a bit of persistence, but it's something you can get better at. End of the day, a lot of the game is just getting prediction down pat.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I updated my BIOS and made sure resizable bar support was enabled just to see if it'd fix Returnal stutters. Psycho poo poo.

I think it might have but I haven't played long yet, not through a full room even.

pcgaming.txt

:pcgaming:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After starting up Atomic Heart I've decided that it's be okay if we just kill off the 0451 joke already. Yes yes, you think you are very clever, but having a long section of a scripted autoscroller where you have to sit and watch two people yell "the code is zero four five one!!" At each other is just masturbatory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gedonia's pretty fun but wow these load times are horrific

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

After starting up Atomic Heart I've decided that it's be okay if we just kill off the 0451 joke already. Yes yes, you think you are very clever, but having a long section of a scripted autoscroller where you have to sit and watch two people yell "the code is zero four five one!!" At each other is just masturbatory.

gloomwood has the best take on 0451

locked safes need a 3 digit code to open, and if you guess 451 on the first one you encounter it explodes and kills you

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on Neon White? On the fence on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

repiv posted:

gloomwood has the best take on 0451

locked safes need a 3 digit code to open, and if you guess 451 on the first one you encounter it explodes and kills you

What if you guess 045

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What if you guess 045

you can't, the range for each digit is 1 to 6

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the code is 42069

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the beginning of Atomic Heart is pretty bad but it gets a lot better when the goofy robots show up and you start doing the System Shock thing of going to different sections of the building to get keys

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

the code is 42069

You guys keep calling my house phone, this is getting tiresome

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Great game with mindnumbingly stupid dialog characters etc. but you're not playing it for that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RBA Starblade posted:

Gedonia's pretty fun but wow these load times are horrific

Yeah it surprised me when I tried it out. I thought it'd be trash but it's actually quite charming.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I made a new character with max CHA and I rushed the a merchant's guild for +1 Companion.

Combined with the Music skill that summons two temporary clones of all your Companions, it's downright comical running through an area and aggroing everything and then watching a small battle unfold as I pluck my guitar

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Incredibly good gameplay and level design. Just pretend the story doesn't exist.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tried Gedonia out and something about it just didn't sit right with me, though it does seem like a lovely game overall (if unpolished). Some day I will realize that apart from MMOs and their specific hedonic treadmills I'm not really a fan of open world games. Or maybe as an open world game it was fine, but the combat was just a little bit too floaty. Makes me glad that Steam lets you return within 2 hours, though I always fear once again getting the email that says "please stop using our service as a demo farm or we'll take away your return privileges."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Midnight Suns starts off with you unable to customize your character much. Just hair, skin and eye color. Every other cosmetic drops at random from chests that periodically refresh then you've got to buy them with 'gloss' which you earn from mission performance, i.e. aviators might be in the next chest you open which costs keys, then you've got to buy it to make it usable.

so you end up with a mishmash of stuff, its so stupid and amazing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Synthbuttrange posted:

Midnight Suns starts off with you unable to customize your character much. Just hair, skin and eye color. Every other cosmetic drops at random from chests that periodically refresh then you've got to buy them with 'gloss' which you earn from mission performance, i.e. aviators might be in the next chest you open which costs keys, then you've got to buy it to make it usable.

so you end up with a mishmash of stuff, its so stupid and amazing.

How is that pauldron attached??

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mistermojo posted:

the beginning of Atomic Heart is pretty bad but it gets a lot better when the goofy robots show up and you start doing the System Shock thing of going to different sections of the building to get keys
its a pretty decent game for a first whack - some things are actually really good. some things are annoying. im slowly coming around on the main character, it becomes kind of (I think intentionally) funny how bad their dialogue is

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Absolute banger where the characters and story is fun if you embrace how dumb it is

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Absolute banger where the characters and story is fun if you embrace how dumb it is

https://youtu.be/Xzi8TiGJqCc

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Perfect game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
they included a skip button for all the people without fatal irony brain poison. it's a great game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is Returnal on KB+M? Dodge button says gamepad, but it feels bad to play a shooter and not click on things to make them die.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

How is Returnal on KB+M? Dodge button says gamepad, but it feels bad to play a shooter and not click on things to make them die.

I have both and HIGHLY prefer the PC controls. I had to do a bunch of rebinds for my preferences but it’s so much better than console.

I do miss haptics and the controller audio (didn’t expect to say that) but that’s minor compared to gameplay.

I do get occasional fatal error crashes (known issue) and hoping for a patch soon. Runs great otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kb+m is very nice. Most buttons are placed nicely too. Only the default melee having a scroll wheel up binding felt odd.

Other than that it works really well!

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 22, 2023