Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have a piece of steel pipe for removing the Audi crank bolts because gently caress getting those off without good leverage (450 ft/lbs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"go around them"

https://twitter.com/coolcars_kirei/status/1627568986446774273?t=o7lsWJvZHD8uMV1TeAiEGw&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NOPE. Nope that's nightmare fuel :stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Samir-san!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:gonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fifty Three posted:

Except when you leave the jack in place as a secondary safety under the car and remove the handle and the socket immediately returns to vertical and goddammit

dont take off the whole handle, just the outer-half extension

at least then you have something to hold onto so you dont have to rescue your first jack with another one

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Lol, is that the same type of cactus from the video of that idiot back-flopping shirtless onto one and proceeding to squeal like a stuck pig?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god, why would you not have a windshield for exactly that happening that's awful and i'd be so pissed at the driver lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh my god, why would you not have a windshield for exactly that happening that's awful and i'd be so pissed at the driver lol

Pretty normal for certain types of offroad racing. You're going so far between stops that a windshield would be nearly opaque before you get to the next one, so you put the tear-offs on the helmet visors instead.

The cacti was not a foreseen problem though, I expect.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised they're not wearing gloves.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrYenko posted:

Pretty normal for certain types of offroad racing. You're going so far between stops that a windshield would be nearly opaque before you get to the next one, so you put the tear-offs on the helmet visors instead.

The cacti was not a foreseen problem though, I expect.

This sounds like a pretty good use case for having louvers

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Raluek posted:

dont take off the whole handle, just the outer-half extension

at least then you have something to hold onto so you dont have to rescue your first jack with another one
Yep, if my jack had a two-piece handle that's exactly what I would've done in this hypothetical scenario that definitely didn't happen

Continuing the hypothetical, it wouldn't take too much thinking to realize the jack release is just a square drive inside the socket, but anger blinds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nuevo posted:

Lol, is that the same type of cactus from the video of that idiot back-flopping shirtless onto one and proceeding to squeal like a stuck pig?

They sure look like a kind of cholla, yep. Nasty little fuckers

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CommieGIR posted:

I have a piece of steel pipe for removing the Audi crank bolts because gently caress getting those off without good leverage (450 ft/lbs)

My go-to for big things like that is a half-inch-drive ratchet with a lifetime warranty and a three-to-six-foot piece of 3/4" square tubing the handle fits into and jump on the end of the snipe, or for tight spaces, the poor man's impact wrench -- whichever ratchet/socket/box-end fits in the space, and a 3-pound hammer.

Living in the oilfields, I've seen these bent in half:

Five-foot handle, they slipped a bit of pipe over it and tied the pipe to the truck that brought the rig in and gave 'er wha.

For tightening lugnuts, I gently step up onto the end of the foot-long ratchet handle. I weigh about 150lb, so no torque wrench required, right?

In other news, my high-end Kia's engine has some fancy automatic valve adjustment system that makes it sound like a dead lifter in a proper engine until it warms up and adjusts itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

*laughs in Honda crank bolt*

Chillbro Baggins posted:

In other news, my high-end Kia's engine has some fancy automatic valve adjustment system that makes it sound like a dead lifter in a proper engine until it warms up and adjusts itself.

I think they call that "hydraulic lifters", and they've been around longer than most of us have been alive.

e: jesus I'm an idiot, that's not even in this thread....

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brand new feature, pioneered by Cadillac in the thirties.

:v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Living in the oilfields, I've seen these bent in half:

Five-foot handle, they slipped a bit of pipe over it and tied the pipe to the truck that brought the rig in and gave 'er wha.

I've been party to 48 inch Ridgids bent by human power on occasion.

20 feet of drill rod over the handle and four guys giving it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Reminds me of when I worked in the oil field and saw a guys jaw get broken/ teeth go everywhere.

Kid used a cheater pipe on a big ratchet strap on a trailer delivering some pipe. Put his whole body weight into it directly under his head and his gloved slipped. Bounced back with predictable result. Mostly I just held him steady on the ground making sure he wasn’t swallowing blood. It wasn’t a good day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm surprised they're not wearing gloves.

This... all that safety gear and no gloves seems strange.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

STR posted:

*laughs in Honda crank bolt*

Isn't the Honda crank bolt supposed to be 145 ft/lbs? Or 181 +90 degress on some?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

This... all that safety gear and no gloves seems strange.

Gloves would not have helped in that situation lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The latest from Just Rolled In has some stuff that's :stonk: even by the standards of the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZINZhNDq4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't the Honda crank bolt supposed to be 145 ft/lbs? Or 181 +90 degress on some?

When I did the timing belt last year on my 2000 Si, I had to buy a new impact gun to handle the crank bolt. Best guess it was at 300+lb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

When I did the timing belt last year on my 2000 Si, I had to buy a new impact gun to handle the crank bolt. Best guess it was at 300+lb.

Yeah for some reason Honda bolts are SUPER tight from the factory despite the fact that the rebuild manual says some piddly torque like 145 ft/lbs. Never understood that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Supposed to be, but they're famously hard to break loose on their older engines the first time you do the timing belt. Plenty of people have used the starter with a breaker bar against the ground to crack them loose (remember, older Honda engines rotate clockwise, vs CCW for most engines and newer Hondas). Pretty sure they used all the ugga duggas and then some at the factory.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The latest from Just Rolled In has some stuff that's :stonk: even by the standards of the channel.

Lmao I'm so glad I don't have to do this poo poo. I'd refuse to work on half of these steaming turds

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol, the blank display is an Alfa Romeo (Giulia or Stelvio), and there are dozens of posts on the AR forums with this "problem"

the open air filter going into a regular filter box is something else as well

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the open air filter going into a regular filter box is something else as well

That's not the first time I've seen that on this channel, so I'm guessing it's way more common that you'd think

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZINZhNDq4&t=165s

...loving blew my mind. how are there people like this? More importantly, how have they not run themselves over yet?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sound on

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7202291938622442795

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 21, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Lmao I'm so glad I don't have to do this poo poo. I'd refuse to work on half of these steaming turds

I do chuckle to myself and then freak out when the voice over says "customer declined all repairs"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I do chuckle to myself and then freak out when the voice over says "customer declined all repairs"

plot twist, the car with only wipers that work on the passenger side is used for mail delivery in rural areas

for you city slickers rural mail carriers just use their own vehicle and sit in the passenger seat while driving the car so they can put the mail in roadside mailboxes

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Most people have seen a Grumman LLV, they're essential for a lot of suburbs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nah I'm good thanks. I'm gonna want everyone who owns one of these to hold the wheel and pay attention thanks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rKXf5bCI9fE?feature=share

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

plot twist, the car with only wipers that work on the passenger side is used for mail delivery in rural areas

for you city slickers rural mail carriers just use their own vehicle and sit in the passenger seat while driving the car so they can put the mail in roadside mailboxes

The small-rear end town I grew up in had only one foreign car dealer, a Subaru store. In the 90s they’d get a few orders for RHD vehicles from rural mail carriers to daily as well as work.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 22, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s how you could tell who lived that mail carrier life where I grew up. If they were for real they had a RHD Subaru

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jeep would build RHD Cherokees for rural carriers.

There were also some janky contraptions that put a 2nd steering wheel/set of pedals on the right side for them. Though I've also seen people in pickup trucks just sitting in the middle - LHD truck, but leaning way out of the passenger window for the mailboxes.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Our former neighbor is a mail carrier with a RHD Jeep. He was out in his driveway replacing the brakes every couple of months.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The rural carrier serving my neighborhood has a vanity plate reading "MAILMOM" and whips a fire engine red, RHD Ford Transit Connect. I was pretty impressed they made & sold em like that here.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Funzo posted:

Our former neighbor is a mail carrier with a RHD Jeep. He was out in his driveway replacing the brakes every couple of months.

It’s my understanding that the relatively limited number of CJ mail jeeps that were made came onto the civilian market in very very bad shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s my understanding that the relatively limited number of CJ mail jeeps that were made came onto the civilian market in very very bad shape

Sounds like any jeep tbh