Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I need the cost of living relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think there are members of parliament that don't know how to use a computer?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you think there are members of parliament that don't know how to use a computer?

Bob "The Hacker" Katter

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Katter has a blog about crocs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm pretty sure Katter just has a desk and a landline telephone in his office.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
and one of these

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Seventh Seal (1957)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I'm pretty sure Katter just has a desk and a landline telephone in his office.

And a staffer with a laptop and a burgeoning case of PTSD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1625817597995528195

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

NSW gov clusters are our big customers at work. The higher the pay grade, the less ability they have with even simple tech like smart phones.

It's not just tech either, they are just insanely, incredibly stupid in every aspect. I asked one of them three times for a delivery address because they kept giving me PO Boxes and I needed a street address. They didn't understand what the difference was.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

freebooter posted:

Opinions sought, since probably a lot of people here have HECS debt: is it worth making a voluntary repayment before EOFY since it's pegged to inflation and for the first time in forever, inflation is going to be loving 8% or something?

It obviously depends on your personal financial situation whether you have money sitting around in the first place (I personally could only stump up a few grand) but since the conventional wisdom is that there's never any point in making voluntary HECS repayments, it was a "huh" moment for me when a friend pointed this out to me today.

I also bothered to log on to MyGov and check the last few CPI indexations for HECS payments on June 1:

2018 - 1.9%
2019 - 1.8%
2020 - 1.8%
2021 - 0.6%
2022 - 3.9%

Just quit your job and go on the dole. They can't take your money if you barely have any.

Or do what you were supposed to do: go overseas and live a proper life in a proper country and never come back to pay your stupid HECS debt that you got into for a degree that really should have been free in a country this stupid rich

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

This reminds me of AI art, are they outsourcing their photoshops to an AI now?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Can't wait to see how the rusted on ALPers will justify this lmao

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hmmm it’s like when the greens joined with the libs to block the cprs

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No you see the photoshop is actually good because all Greens members have two right hands, because they are all two right.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

My bill was murdered by a man with two right hands.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lmao Fed Labor are pushing 7 billion dollarydoos into the 2032 Brisbane games but we can’t fund additional psych sessions or public housing.

Joke political party for clowns, guess they had to build themselves a brand new circus to perform at.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im personally looking forward to the new gabba being comically oversized for afl and cricket games

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

All that had to do was not knock down that school but here we are

The additional 2.7 bill from the state go t could sure build a lot of housing or fund things but I guess we need our Circus Maximus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The commonwealth is spending $3.5b on it

E: I don't really understand why they bid on the poo poo either*. It's always a loss for the host nation. Spend a smaller amount of money on fit for purpose stadiums to host our sports and then the rest on tourism advertising

*It's for the prestige but that's not a good reason

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 17, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

The commonwealth is spending $3.5b on it

E: I don't really understand why they bid on the poo poo either*. It's always a loss for the host nation. Spend a smaller amount of money on fit for purpose stadiums to host our sports and then the rest on tourism advertising

Absolute fuckloads of graft.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Really feels a bit wrong given we are like two weeks post being told that we can’t fund healthcare and Labor have been bleating about those nasty greens and their nasty demands

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

JBP posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-25/how-a-poor-train-system-brought-the-olympics-to-brisbane/100321350

it's because the seq mayors are all idiots and decided the best way to secure funding for major rail infrastructure upgrades (that were necessary anyway) was to host the olympics

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

queensland the smort state

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/vic...217-p5clcl.html

Vic Liberals: Why did we lose an election against Dictator Dan?
VicLiberals president: Heres a review of the election performance.
Vic Liberals: No! Not like that, you have to give the reasons we want you to give. You should resign!

I mean, sure the bloke didn't follow proper procedure and interview everyone and get comprehensive documentation etc. But this just shows how Vic Liberals are the shittest LNP in the country. Even counting WA where they only have 2 MPs.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

BrigadierSensible posted:

Even counting WA where they only have 2 MPs.

I mean, at least it made it easier to work out who the new leader would be when they had that spill last month

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm in WA and I didn't even know that happened; but at this point it might as well have been 2 blokes at the Kelmscott RSL arguing over the last devilled egg so

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ce-for-children

quote:

Queensland to override state’s Human Rights Act in bid to make breach of bail an offence for children

Police minister Mark Ryan says the government accepts that its new laws ‘are incompatible with human rights’

The Queensland government will override its own Human Rights Act to implement laws allowing children to be charged with criminal offences for breaching bail conditions, conceding its new laws are “incompatible” with human rights. The police minister, Mark Ryan, said the Palaszczuk government’s strengthening community safety bill will include an amendment to the Bail Act which allows children breaching bail to be charged with the same offence as an adult.

“The government accepts that these provisions are incompatible with human rights,” Ryan wrote in a statement about exceptional circumstances tabled on Tuesday. “Therefore, in this exceptional case, the [Human Rights Act] is being overridden and its application entirely excluded from the operation of these new provisions to protect community safety.”

The Queensland premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, announced yesterday the government would reverse its previous position and criminalise breach of bail for children, prompting fears it will spark a human rights emergency in the state’s buckling youth detention system. Youth detention centres are already full and about 80 children are being held in adult watch houses, some for more than four weeks. Advocates say the new measures are sure to see the number of children held in watch houses rise.

On Tuesday, Ryan said there was an “acute problem presented by a small cohort of serious repeat offenders” – with 17% of youth offenders committing almost half of all youth crime. The number of these serious repeat offenders had grown from 10% of youth offenders a year earlier, he said. “The measures in this bill are designed to address this serious problem. In the government’s view this presents an exceptional crisis situation constituting a threat to public safety,” Ryan wrote.

Under the Human Rights Act, proposed legislation in Queensland must be accompanied by a statement of compatibility, which says whether the relevant minister believes it is compatible with human rights. It also gives parliament the ability to make an “override declaration”, which allows laws to take effect if they are incompatible with the Human Rights Act. Such declarations should “only be made in exceptional circumstances”, such as war, a state of emergency, or “an exceptional crisis” constituting a threat to public health, safety or order.

The move was also rebuked by Greens MP Michael Berkman. “They don’t care about community safety, all they care about is a headline,” Berkman said. “Queenslanders now know Labor will abandon their supposed principles for political clout, even where they concede they’re breaching Queensland’s Human Rights Act.”

Palaszczuk told parliament the “full force of the law” would be used to crack down on serious repeat young offenders, as she announced further details of the government’s new youth crime legislation. “We have listened to the community and this action is all about putting community safety first,” Palaszczuk told parliament. “When these young people re-offend time and again, we need the police to catch them and we need the courts to do their job. They have the resources. They have the laws. They have the tools.”

The premier said there had been a 7% decline in the number of young people with a proven offence in the past year and a 3% reduction in the number of offences overall. Palaszczuk noted the vast majority of young people in contact with the youth justice system do not re-offend.

Breach of bail was one of several new measures added to a youth justice response that has prompted a backlash from experts since being announced in the aftermath of the alleged murder of Brisbane woman Emma Lovell on Boxing Day. A coalition of more than 50 experts and organisations have called on the government and opposition not to politicise the issue and to adopt a smarter, not a tougher approach that prioritises early intervention and rehabilitation.

The government will allocate $332m to the measures, bringing the government’s total investment in youth justice to $1.1bn since 2015. Big-ticket items include an additional $100m for programs to curb the causes of youth crime, including $4m for on-country programs for First Nations communities, and $66m allocated for “proactive policing”, such as high-visibility police patrols.

So-called “flying squads” will also be expanded, with a $17m investment for expert youth justice workers to partner with police to target high-risk youth offenders. Palaszczuk said the government would expand the number of offences with a presumption against bail, strengthen conditional release orders and enhance intensive case management for youth offenders.

An investment of $15m will be provided to elderly people to help them install security systems in their homes. There will also be $10m allocated for a vehicle immobilisers trial to begin this year in Cairns, Townsville and Mt Isa and an additional $9m to assist victims of crime. Pressed by the opposition about whether the government would remove “detention as a last resort” from the Youth Justice Act, the premier said Queensland was not alone in adopting this approach.

“This principle … is consistent with other jurisdictions and the United Nations,” she told parliament. “So no, we will not be moving away from that principle.” The youth justice bill will go to a parliamentary committee for two weeks before returning to parliament for a final vote.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How could Dan do this?!?!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
maybe don't enact a bill called 'the human rights act' if you're then going to legislate in contravention of it, dipshits

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

children aren't human in qld

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Human rights, not valid in Queensland

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

bell jar posted:

children aren't human in qld

Nah, it's simpler then that. Queenslanders aren't human.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Konomex posted:

Nah, it's simpler then that. Queenslanders aren't human.

*Hobbles into thread*
Ye will regret making fun of us Queensfolk!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NCPkoUekHQ

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

*Hobbles into thread*
Ye will regret making fun of us Queensfolk!

shouldn't you be kingslanders by now

I thought "king charles" the other day and wanted to vomit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

QLD can’t help it, there’s a bunch of “tough on crime” vocal groups around and the ALP can’t do anything but be Liberal-lite

Idk if people actually care about it but there are some extremely vocal people and it’s made the state govt blink, but we can only expect that from a state govt who is knocking down a stadium to rebuild it while leaving a large swathe of Brisbane without a public school.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I read QLD is relaxing drug laws a bit which seems to go against the tough-on-crime message

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-22/queensland-illicit-drug-law-changes-three-strikes/102005684

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Hopefully this sort of thing just accelerates the shift to the greens inner Brisbane is seeing.