Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

What are the benefits of speed?
Follow up chance and alacrity?
Does it also go to dodge %?

you get a followup if your speed (as adjusted by weapon) exceeds the foe's by 5 or more. Each point of speed also increases your avoid by 2

e: I doubt you're actually confused, but to clarify, avoid and dodge, as used in the game, are two separate things. Avoid reduces the chance you get hit (and speed factors into it). Dodge reduces the enemy's crit rate (and is based entirely on the luck stat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

What are the benefits of speed?
Follow up chance and alacrity?
Does it also go to dodge %?
follow ups arent chance based, they're guaranteed if you have 5 more speed than the enemy.

your avoid is also a combination of your speed and luck.

note that weapons can weigh you down if their weight is higher than your build, which reduces your speed by 1 per point of difference. so a unit with 7 build wielding a 10 weight weapon loses 3 speed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cheetah7071 posted:

you get a followup if your speed (as adjusted by weapon) exceeds the foe's by 5 or more. Each point of speed also increases your avoid by 2

So kogetsu+speedtaker is good right?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah speed is the base stat and avoid is a derived stat (calculated from base + bonuses)
Weapons above build incur a penalty according the difference, and you can double if you have 5 more speed than the enemy after all is said and done

e; luck also contributed to avoid at half rate

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

So kogetsu+speedtaker is good right?

stacking speed really high to get so much avoid that enemies can't hit you is very viable in this game, yes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thanks

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I did this, it was fun. Her outfit looks great.

You're right, she looks loving rad in the Wyvern Knight class.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

At equal internal levels as Wolf Knights, Yunaka has 1 more Str and 6 more Res than Merrin and Merrin has significantly more HP, Dex, Spd, Def, and Bld. If you keep Yunaka as a Thief, the difference in Res narrows and becomes just 1 point, too, though Merrin's Dex lead goes away. Merrin is really, really good.

Like Yunaka is absolutely usable but Merrin does beat her fairly handily overall.

I think Yunaka's crit +15 out of Cloud does a lot of work to make that difference.

Like if I could compare them I think Yunaka is very specifically designed for a very very powerful role and it means she retains value above what her stat total might suggest, whereas Merrin is just generically good in the same way that Zelkov is.

Aka I think an invested Yunaka does more than an invested Merrin but a low prio Merrin will do more than a low prio Yunaka.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mycatscrimes posted:

What are some good skills to get Citrine? Mine is sitting on over 2000sp because I haven't been able to decide.

Speedtaker is good because she's a good delete button but struggles with speed.

Tome Precision and +MAG are always helpful for casters.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mycatscrimes posted:

What are some good skills to get Citrine? Mine is sitting on over 2000sp because I haven't been able to decide.

Do you have Dire Thunder because that changes everything.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have not rolled dire thunder in the gacha, sadly.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

mycatscrimes posted:

Draconic Hex? Giving a character who'll always have three-range on tap the -4 to all stats debuff is pretty good. You could also give her Wrath, try to get her hit once at the start of a map, and then have her carry that crit chance around for the rest... Though Seadall has a tendency to ruin any attempt to "carry" Wrath like that through a whole map, so be aware of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Merrin still has the niche of being a good levin sword user, which way more important on maddening than other difficulties where steel+4 daggers solve everything.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Einander posted:

Draconic Hex? Giving a character who'll always have three-range on tap the -4 to all stats debuff is pretty good. You could also give her Wrath, try to get her hit once at the start of a map, and then have her carry that crit chance around for the rest... Though Seadall has a tendency to ruin any attempt to "carry" Wrath like that through a whole map, so be aware of that.

Draconic Hex sounds delightful on her. It'll give me two hex users, too, since I put it on Merrin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tae posted:

Merrin still has the niche of being a good levin sword user, which way more important on maddening than other difficulties where steel+4 daggers solve everything.

Yunaka is also a good levin sword user if you shift her into wolf knight!

(I used both)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I think Yunaka's crit +15 out of Cloud does a lot of work to make that difference.

Like if I could compare them I think Yunaka is very specifically designed for a very very powerful role and it means she retains value above what her stat total might suggest, whereas Merrin is just generically good in the same way that Zelkov is.

Aka I think an invested Yunaka does more than an invested Merrin but a low prio Merrin will do more than a low prio Yunaka.

Yeah I wasn't factoring in personal skills, and Yunaka's is very good, yeah. And I think your conclusion is correct there, too, maybe if even just because of that personal skill.

I've actually considered running Yunaka as a Wolf Knight specifically so she can use a killer weapon on top of that crit bonus, though it would mean giving up Covert type so I dunno.

Kanos posted:

Yunaka is also a good levin sword user if you shift her into wolf knight!

(I used both)

Yunaka's one of my mages on my Reclass Everyone run and she's surprisingly good at it. Turns out she has decent Magic

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I took the thread's advice and put engraves on a couple killer weapons. I forgot which one I put on the killer axe but whatever it is, Saphir is sitting at about a 20% chance to be hit while wielding it, she's terrifying.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Merrin should absolutely be shoved into Wyvern Knight at the earliest opportunity, because jumping up 3 STR and 2 DEF for 1 SPD and getting 45/55/50 growths for STR/SPD/DEF is amazing for her, so I wouldn't compare her to Yunaka much. Kagetsu's in the same boat.

Chapter 18 and 19 were way more fun on Maddening. 19 in particular is great. I took the top route and had Goldmary blockade the top-center alleyway while I thinned out the enemies around, drew in the bosses, and then killed them one by one. If I'd taken the initial turns slower and used Lucina's Bond Shield more I probably could have taken the end faster, but it worked out. Maddening Wolf Knights are scary as hell and I feel like they almost belong to a version of this game where you have Arts on way more people, rather than having the princesses and your sages handle staves.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyl4900/status/1627778384578367489?s=46&t=MvZe8MsmkHK30J1ZEjm3Ig

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Einander posted:

Merrin should absolutely be shoved into Wyvern Knight at the earliest opportunity, because jumping up 3 STR and 2 DEF for 1 SPD and getting 45/55/50 growths for STR/SPD/DEF is amazing for her, so I wouldn't compare her to Yunaka much. Kagetsu's in the same boat.

The thing about wolf knight isn't just the stats, it's having access to knives, which are the best general-use physical weapon type in the game and it's not even close. Other classes might win out by a few points in a couple of stats but they don't get knives. Steel Daggers are insanely powerful for their cost to upgrade, and if you need raw brute power at range 1 a sufficiently upgraded stiletto or peshkatz is competitive with a silver axe with much more accuracy and far less weight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fates designers incapable of putting daggers in a game without making them busted

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

The thing about wolf knight isn't just the stats, it's having access to knives, which are the best general-use physical weapon type in the game and it's not even close. Other classes might win out by a few points in a couple of stats but they don't get knives. Steel Daggers are insanely powerful for their cost to upgrade, and if you need raw brute power at range 1 a sufficiently upgraded stiletto or peshkatz is competitive with a silver axe with much more accuracy and far less weight.

Yes a +3 silver dagger is 1-2 range, deals 16 damage and has 95 hit before engraves with barely any weight and only costs around 300 30 4 or something in forge materials, damage is not an issue for Merrin especially since she has like 38spd by lv 40

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 22, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah Wolf Knight is one of the best classes in the game and Merrin's already made for it. No reason to switch her out of it unless you're already planning to give daggers to others.

I think most people use Ike for Wrath shenanigans or Great Aether tanking, but Wolf Knight + Ike is actually obscene. It's like the second coming of Xander, just a tanky 1-2 range character that can EP and ORKO huge balls of enemies every turn. My Wolf Knight Kagetsu snowballed really quickly and by lategame he was doubling everything, and with a Speedwing he could even double other Wolf Knights.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

How does Kagetsu talk in the Japanese version

Like, is he still the Foreign Guy

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

They're okay. Not being able to bust out a killer or effective option really harms their damage potential, and Merrin is already on the weaker side Strength-wise. Forges can fix that to an extent, but you can also forge a killer weapon instead, so. When it comes to utility features of a class, flying > knives most of the time, especially in a game where you can lay down your own adverse terrain at will.

1-2 weapons just aren't that important in a game where serious enemy phasing is rare and difficult! Most of the time your Javelins and Hand Axes could be 2-locked instead like bows or the Wakizashi and it wouldn't matter that much. Wolf Knight is the best option for a Panette that gets Lyn, but that says more about Panette and about Lyn than about knives.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

How does Kagetsu talk in the Japanese version

Like, is he still the Foreign Guy
He is voiced by Takehito Koyasu, so that should give you some idea of how he sounds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kagetsu's ending slide is wonderful.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I EP a lot even on Maddening, and high Mt 1-2 weapons still greatly improve the efficiency at which you take down enemies. Forged Hand Axes or Javelins may not hit the 2RKO range, while the 18 Mt forged Silver Daggers will hit it easier if not outright ORKO.

Wyvern is definitely a good class but saying that it's completely superior to Wolf Knights, especially for Merrin who's got high Spd and decent Str to take advantage of the class, is absolutely not true

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yes hello I just found out Saphir and Vander are supposedly 35 and 45 respectively? If that's true that's hilarious.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah you're tanking her spd by 5 points for 6-7 more str and weapons that will likely weigh her down even further that have far worse accuracy and will be doing by and large less damage than a forged dagger, cutting into the str advantage. The flying utility is lost if she can't consistently double the 30+ spd maddening endgame

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Einander posted:

They're okay. Not being able to bust out a killer or effective option really harms their damage potential, and Merrin is already on the weaker side Strength-wise. Forges can fix that to an extent, but you can also forge a killer weapon instead, so. When it comes to utility features of a class, flying > knives most of the time, especially in a game where you can lay down your own adverse terrain at will.

1-2 weapons just aren't that important in a game where serious enemy phasing is rare and difficult! Most of the time your Javelins and Hand Axes could be 2-locked instead like bows or the Wakizashi and it wouldn't matter that much. Wolf Knight is the best option for a Panette that gets Lyn, but that says more about Panette and about Lyn than about knives.

The Stiletto and Peshkatz end up at 25 and 30 crit, respectively, after upgrades, which puts them comfortably in the 45-60% crit range with the crit engraves, and their base might ends up a lot higher than killers do. Even the humble Steel Dagger +4 has a base 10 crit chance which can be pumped to be significant by engraves if you want.

1-2 weapons are important on maddening because you almost always need to hit enemies multiple times to kill them. Melee spots are precious and flexibility is incredibly useful. As for enemy phasing, Merrin can enemy phase super easily on maddening. All you need to do is give her a piece of terrain or some fog - if you're concerned that isn't enough, sticking a single balanced supporter next to her will easily push her over the top. She's not going to tank bosses but she can soak and weaken normal enemies incredibly well. Source: I used her to do this literally all the time.

Hell, Yunaka's entire character design is built around "put me in a piece of terrain/fog and i'll crit dudes to death for you on EP".

Having a couple of flyers is useful but terrain bonuses are so strong in this game and enemy archers so common that I don't like taking too many.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generally Merrin lasted until chapter 24 for me on a run that I quickly abandoned anyone that wasn't keeping up (Even Zelkov because his lowish speed growth finally caught up to him). And I would say the game's difficulty is basically done at chapter 23 on maddening, because 24 is an easy gimmick if you kill the thieves, and 25 is designed to be a victory lap.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycatscrimes posted:

Yes hello I just found out Saphir and Vander are supposedly 35 and 45 respectively? If that's true that's hilarious.

it's for the best to ignore the internal numbers which aren't referenced anywhere in the text of the game, imo. Saphir is the worst offender but there's a lot of oddities that make it clear the people writing the dialogue didn't have these numbers in mind

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

it's for the best to ignore the internal numbers which aren't referenced anywhere in the text of the game, imo. Saphir is the worst offender but there's a lot of oddities that make it clear the people writing the dialogue didn't have these numbers in mind

I'd guess for those two they are artifacts of earlier character concepts, and not something to take seriously. It's just a little funny to learn.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah fire emblem is often Weird with ages. literally the only ones i can think of that actually make sense and improve the story with their context is that alm and celica are 17, because their journey is 100% about Killing You Are Parents/Gods And Becoming An Adult (and the in-game calendar means the campaign lasts a bit more than a year most of the time)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Vander implies that he's around the same age as Lindon in their support conversation, and Lindon's internal age is 60. Meanwhile Saphir's support convos state that she was a child 30 years ago, so she can't be older than say, 42, or 45 if you're stretching the definition of "child".

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Saphir is a cool old lady and that rules.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

He is voiced by Takehito Koyasu, so that should give you some idea of how he sounds.

Man, and I thought I was surprised to find out he voiced JP Seteth. I’m sure he does a great job though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I class changed Merrin and got amazing results compared to her base class.

To Axe Wolf Knight.

But seriously Axes and Daggers really complement each other and she’s by far my best unit as Lady Axe Wolf. Get her to S with Alear and have him lay down fog or stones from behind her to solve any map on any difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Koyasu sounds more like his youthful roles instead of Just Dio like Seteth was, for context.