Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oof changing pickups in a semi-hollow/hollow body is painful.

Way more painful on a semi hollow than a hollow.

The trick is to rig up everything outside of guitar, and use either strings or rubber hoses to pull the pots ,switch and the jack into their place. For jack you can also use an old guitar cable.

With a little bit of proper planning and ingenuity its pretty much the same like switching pickups on a solid body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I played one of the 40th anniversary Squier Jazzmasters and was impressed.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Seems like it'd be easier just to get an EQ pedal

por que no los dos?

after disrespecting the "jazz guitar tone" in my earlier post, i thought it would be nice to think about why this tone could be useful. i think i remember reading somewhere that the idea was to darken up the tone to keep out of the way of the horn players and the piano player. can anyone confirm?

and of course, it's fair to just say "i like that warmer tone" and leave it at that. even though i prefer to hear a brighter tone, it's OK for people to like different stuff.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I was fine with a HH JM for jazz stuff (like, electric jazz stuff).

Theres 30s/40s jazz guitar but there's also 50s, 60s, 70s, fusion, etc, and at some point it goes from hollowbodies to HH superstrats.

There's a couple things that I found easier w/ a hollowbody (including tone chasing) but the JM absolutely gets close enough. And like ends up being a much more versatile instrument.

Or get a Tele

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

JamesKPolk posted:

Or get a Tele

This is a reasonable answer to most guitar acquisition questions honestly - probably wouldn't do the Tele bridge pickup for metal (although I've hosed around with it before and it's better than you might expect) and sometimes you want a vibrato but for everything else? A Tele can probably do it well.

I think in a vacuum I'd tell most beginner guitarists to get a Squier Classic Vibe tele and a Boss Katana (or cheaper alternatives if on a tighter budget) unless they wanted to play metal.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

grabber you should spend a day with The Smashing Pumpkins for guitar tone purposes

edit: It's a late Gen-X band, not a boomer band, so you're in the clear. 👍

duodenum fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 21, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

This is a reasonable answer to most guitar acquisition questions honestly - probably wouldn't do the Tele bridge pickup for metal (although I've hosed around with it before and it's better than you might expect) and sometimes you want a vibrato but for everything else? A Tele can probably do it well.

I think in a vacuum I'd tell most beginner guitarists to get a Squier Classic Vibe tele and a Boss Katana (or cheaper alternatives if on a tighter budget) unless they wanted to play metal.

every iteration since the telecaster is just another step further from the light

two pickups, two knobs, one switch

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have chased this tone forever and it looks like it’s all just gain from Rivers’ 60-watt Mesa Mk 1 and a Seymour Duncan JB loaded into a Strat. This was used on demos and on the Blue album.

oh yeah lol, i actually wrote a good amount of the weezerpedia page about his equipment and even talked to jason cropper (who left toward the end of blue) on the phone to double check everything.

that's why i have a JB in my strat. i'm just trying to figure out how to get closer to that tone but still have both an amp that's really good for cleans/has headroom, and not spend actual thousands of dollars on an old mesa head.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
corgan is a bug but he has toan and riffs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

landgrabber posted:

oh yeah lol, i actually wrote a good amount of the weezerpedia page about his equipment and even talked to jason cropper (who left toward the end of blue) on the phone to double check everything.

that's why i have a JB in my strat. i'm just trying to figure out how to get closer to that tone but still have both an amp that's really good for cleans/has headroom, and not spend actual thousands of dollars on an old mesa head.

What about a Mesa Throttlebox? Seems like it covers that sound capably.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i don't like the pumpkins buzzsaw tone. they have some good tunes but i've never thought "yes i wish my guitar sounded like this"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

corgan is a bug but he has toan and riffs

the harmonic squelches on Zero are basically everything to me
I'm not even a huge smashing pumpkins fan but I love guitar tones that sound like they're just barely holding it together

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

probably wouldn't do the Tele bridge pickup for metal (although I've hosed around with it before and it's better than you might expect)

Yeah I just cut a crossover EP with a tele bridge into the dimebag setting on the THR10x.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

googling around has some boutique pedal makers trying to do mesa mark in a box pedals but ymmv on that one

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I just cut a crossover EP with a tele bridge into the dimebag setting on the THR10x.

i love crossover thrash please share

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Whoah the affinity JM just has a strat trem? I might get one someday.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone recognize these chrome ringed rail pickups Matt Pike has in this Seger guitar?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Found a guy on Instagram saying it's a Lollar dB. https://www.lollarguitars.com/dB-Humbucker

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Found a guy on Instagram saying it's a Lollar dB. https://www.lollarguitars.com/dB-Humbucker

Nice! Thank you!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I have one of the Ibanez arch tops and it’s really nice. Try to get one that comes with a case, because I cheaped out and got one of the cheaper 500 dollar ones and ended up paying 100 dollars for a case because of it.

I should mention I also considered one Gretsch at this price point and some Epiphones. Also don’t listen to anyone who tells you all jazz musicians only use the neck pickup and to always roll off your tone. If many of those musicians had a bridge pickup at the time they would have probably used it. Many did. I bring this up specifically because I noticed while relearning Jazz that there are many people on YouTube that will give you very direct and in my opinion wrong information. You can even play jazz on most Solidbodies if you want; it is nice to have an arch top for practice without an amp though. Also if you can swing it try flat wound strings to see if you like them, many jazz players used them and I feel like they give your low strings a nice standup bass sort of thunk at the cost of some brightness and sustain.

Edit: A final thing is that Ibanez makes a few small full hollow bodies at the cost of some acoustic volume, but if you are small player they are much more comfortable, some large arch tops and even the small one I have can be a little ergonomically garbage, so keep that in mind too.

Was coming in to suggest gretsch as well. They do jazz tones really well and have a great master volume knob. I'd look at the electromatic series.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

One weird trick Jazz orthodoxy hates: use a high output alnico humbucker in the neck of a guitar for sick jazz tones. It naturally will roll off lots of highs. I’ve seen “jazz pickups” that come in at 18 or 20k. Turn the gain way down and bam.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yah I got one on Craigslist for $150 and it’s pretty sweet!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Verman posted:

Was coming in to suggest gretsch as well. They do jazz tones really well and have a great master volume knob. I'd look at the electromatic series.

I'm extremely happy with my Electromatic Jet and my tutor often talks of how solid it is for the price point. I can't pull up the serial numbers off of my head but I got the one with blacktop filtertrons, which were good but I replaced them with generic Chinese alnico 5 filtertrons. Real nice fingerboard and neck, probably as good as you can hope for on a guitar that costs under a grand. Nice to have the Bigsby option too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I hope that helps you new guitar player goon, the suggestion as ever is go to the shop and leave with the one that the salesman says makes you look coolest holding.

At the $500-$1000 range you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a guitar that doesn't work for you, especially if you can get hands on them before.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

I'm pretty happy with mine. Also with the Firefly which is basically the same guitar.

Firefly in sunburst, Squier in the Burgundy Mist. The Firefly also has a Wilkinson bridge and abalone inlays, and was ~$100 cheaper. Too bad they're seemingly always out of stock.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

One weird trick Jazz orthodoxy hates: use a high output alnico humbucker in the neck of a guitar for sick jazz tones. It naturally will roll off lots of highs. I’ve seen “jazz pickups” that come in at 18 or 20k. Turn the gain way down and bam.

So you're saying this could possibly be the best new jazz pickup on the market?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Opg804PqrM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oil this poor thing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oil this poor thing

fretboard so dry it looks like it just took a sip from the fake holy grail

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thumposaurus posted:

So you're saying this could possibly be the best new jazz pickup on the market?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Opg804PqrM

:getin:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Oil this poor thing

Kazinsal posted:

fretboard so dry it looks like it just took a sip from the fake holy grail

Pic is from when I got it, it's been handled.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rad, glad to hear it. Poor thing looks ready to break into splinters in that photo

Also is that a velvet rug in those pictures or what is going on

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Also is that a velvet rug in those pictures or what is going on

Per my dad, that's my "whorehouse blanket". Just an old fleece blanket I can throw stuff onto quickly for pics. Better than throwing them on the carpet or couch or a stand in front of a bunch of other guitars.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New guitar day!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
God the Revstar looks so cool....

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Lungboy posted:

New guitar day!

I’ve spur of the moment talked about getting new guitars but I’m planning on picking up a P90 Yamaha Pacifica and then not buying another guitar for as long as possible, they make the coolest poo poo.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lungboy posted:

New guitar day!

God the racing stripes on the Revstar are SO loving cool. How's this compare to the Harley Benton?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm gonna end up buying a p90 Revstar at some point. I just know it.

Lungboy, that thing looks rad.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

God the racing stripes on the Revstar are SO loving cool. How's this compare to the Harley Benton?

I haven't been able to try it out yet but just holding it it feels significantly higher quality.

E: Had a good look over it and plugged it in, all good it seems. The neck is beautiful, coming from the glossy maple of my Washburn the satin finish is very different but really comfy. Action is decent, intonation bang on, tone does something. The focus switch doesn't do much yet but that's fine and I was only using a clean channel. A+++ would buy again. Now to sell the bag that came with it and drop the overall price even lower.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 22, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lungboy posted:

I haven't been able to try it out yet but just holding it it feels significantly higher quality.

E: Had a good look over it and plugged it in, all good it seems. The neck is beautiful, coming from the glossy maple of my Washburn the satin finish is very different but really comfy. Action is decent, intonation bang on, tone does something. The focus switch doesn't do much yet but that's fine and I was only using a clean channel. A+++ would buy again. Now to sell the bag that came with it and drop the overall price even lower.

Not entirely shocked that it feels much nicer, glad this one's good. I think I'm going to compare an SG to one of the Japanese ones at some point.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Not entirely shocked that it feels much nicer, glad this one's good. I think I'm going to compare an SG to one of the Japanese ones at some point.

Well, it's not really hard to be better than Harley Benton. Not that Harley Benton is not decent for the price, but those new Yamaha's are super nice.

I think the only bad Yamaha I ever owned/handled was a cheapo Pacifica 1 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I got the green light to buy a high gain test rig for work so we pre-ordered a 6505 1992 half stack. Sweetwater says they should be shipping mid-March. Pretty stoked! :getin: