Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Muir posted:

I love my Prana Strech Zion for everything. Seconding the underwear angle as well. Ex Officio Give-N-Go is my preference by far, and I've tried a lot of synthetic hiking underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seconding Prana Brion. Zions are nice too though. I also have some of their joggers that I like.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks everyone; I'll take a look at those and see about trying a few on once I get there (there's not a good selection of this kind of stuff in my country, and what little there is is way more expensive than abroad)

Warbird posted:

Levi’s, yo.

Yeah, I mostly wear jeans so I've done that the last few times I've travelled, but wouldn't mind something a tad more comfy (and with more pockets :v:)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Not going to lie, I just reluctantly bought some Lululemon abc pants and I'm shocked at how comfy they are. They look like regular pants but with tech materials. I have one that look like dressier slacks and the others which have 5 pockets like jeans. They're both super comfy and look like nice regular pants, but flex nicely and have a zippered rear pocket.

I also got some black Patagonia joggers at REI in the garage and section for $40 and they're awesome for traveling. I'm not generally an athleisure kind of person but wearing hiking pants around town isn't my favorite. They feel like wearing nothing and it's great. I'm convinced joggers were made for airline travel.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh yeah, no. The ABCs don’t gently caress around. I’m a big fan of the city sweat joggers as well, but I don’t thing they’d do well for hiking. Fill disclosure, the Mrs. does work for them so I’m not an unbiased source.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Prana Brion with some Ex Officio action under the hood. Them’s good walkin’.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ex Officios are fantastic. they are so comfortable i eventually bit the bullet and bought extra just for everyday use. Not a solution for everyone as they are pricey but gently caress it i wear underwear everyday comfort is worth it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ex Officios are fantastic. they are so comfortable i eventually bit the bullet and bought extra just for everyday use. Not a solution for everyone as they are pricey but gently caress it i wear underwear everyday comfort is worth it.

Every time my basic rear end went to REI I bought another pair and junked some old ones. Now I have like 10 and I’m good to go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah. I really started to embrace the "cost per wear" philosophy for gear and exofficio/darn tough are great examples of that. They cost more than most but they perform so well that I never question what underwear or socks I'm buying or packing for a trip.

Is it something I'm going to wear a lot?
Will it's comfort/performance enhance my experience?
Does it fill a gear gap I was missing?
If so then it's probably worth the higher price.

Not hiking specific, but the Lululemon pants I bought (abc pants) were not cheap ($128?) But they're great every day pants and easily one if my favorites. They're so comfortable, plus they look and feel great. I hate poorly fitting clothes so I've really stopped focusing on price but more on fit/comfort. Prana slim fit stretch Zions are a great example. I didn't even wait for a sale. They're worth full-price because they're my new favorite hiking pants. Patagonia nine trails shorts ... Same. Darn tough wool socks ... Same. Vuori tee shirts? I bought one in each color. Now that I've found certain things I love, I wait for sales on those items.

I regret not buying every single pack of exofficio boxer brief 3 packs at Costco when they were $15. I only bought three and I wish I had bought them all for a lifetime supply of perfect underwear.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do those Lululemon pants compare to the Prana ones? Is one more "outdoorsy" than the other?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do those Lululemon pants compare to the Prana ones? Is one more "outdoorsy" than the other?

Prana are 100% more built for longevity.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh definitely different, there's really no comparison. The Zions are hiking/outdoor pants. The Lululemon are nice looking daily drivers, not outdoorsy at all, at least the model I got. I wouldn't really wear one to do the other unless I had to. Both are great, comfortable pants for traveling though.

Prana does make daily driver pants that are less "outdoorsy" (Brions?) but I don't have any of those. The only thing with prana pants is they have a big, rigid fly. It creates a Larry David tent fold above your crotch in certain instances .. for better or worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Verman posted:

Oh definitely different, there's really no comparison. The Zions are hiking/outdoor pants. The Lululemon are nice looking daily drivers, not outdoorsy at all, at least the model I got. I wouldn't really wear one to do the other unless I had to. Both are great, comfortable pants for traveling though.

Prana does make daily driver pants that are less "outdoorsy" (Brions?) but I don't have any of those. The only thing with prana pants is they have a big, rigid fly. It creates a Larry David tent fold above your crotch in certain instances .. for better or worse.

brions and pranas are the same material AFAIK, at least they feel identical.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same material but different look. Zions are adventure pants, and look the part. Brions are just normal 5 pocket pants.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The Brions are also cut a bit slimmer.

I also don't have the fly tent issue mentioned above. Maybe it's size/fit dependant?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, Brions fit like normal pants. I assume the big crotch in Zions is for climbing, etc. I wear Zions that are a few sizes up for me because the built-in cinch/belt means they fit fine around the waist, and I can easily wear a thermal layer under them. But anyway, the crotch is especially huge on those.

Other tech pants I've tried is Outlier. They definitely feel like higher quality pants, but I still like Brions better. I was wondering about the Lululemon ABCs though because people say such good things about them. Pricier than Brions though.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Saw this today. On one hand, I don’t think setting an entire goddamn tree on fire should be plan A for getting rescued, but on the other I really hate that someone that was desperate for rescue (even though they went about it in a stupid way) is getting fined this much while most of the people who start fires just by being shitheads get away with it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

Saw this today. On one hand, I don’t think setting an entire goddamn tree on fire should be plan A for getting rescued, but on the other I really hate that someone that was desperate for rescue (even though they went about it in a stupid way) is getting fined this much while most of the people who start fires just by being shitheads get away with it.

Buried at the end is the revelation that the entire situation was probably the result of a google maps error: he planned to do the moderate Cabin Loop but ended up at the strenuous Taylor Cabin Loop which is located 50 miles away from the Cabin Loop.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Jesus christ that guy was a loving moron. The article lists him breaking basically all the common sense guidelines.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

withak posted:

Buried at the end is the revelation that the entire situation was probably the result of a google maps error: he planned to do the moderate Cabin Loop but ended up at the strenuous Taylor Cabin Loop which is located 50 miles away from the Cabin Loop.

It doesn’t sound like the extra 1.8 miles is really what did him in so much as just getting lost in the desert and not having any backup navigation plan (to a cell phone gps - loving loser). The judge seemed to put a lot of emphasis on him not carrying enough water, but it’s not exactly feasible to carry a couple days’ worth of water into the desert on your back, and he likely would have been fine if he made it back on time. Planning for only the best case scenario is obviously a terrible idea when you’re going into the desert in arizona but the fine still seems a little disproportionate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also important to make sure you aren't 50 miles away from the trail you planned for.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
He set 230 acres ablaze making a signal fire. He had like maybe 3 of the 10 essentials and was 50 miles from where he thought he was, even though he was using GPS.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah the guy hosed up at multiple critical junctures but the fine feels like “we’re going to gently caress you over in particular because we can’t find and gently caress over the guy who threw out a lit cig or was firing off incendiary rounds”.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He should have just said that he saw a gender reveal party fleeing in the distance when he came upon the fire.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you don't want to shell out for an inReach maybe toss a map and a whistle in your pack. $300k for a screw-up feels excessive, but it doesn't read like this guy made one bad decision. He made a series of bad decisions that began with starting on the (almost comically) wrong trail and culminated in this gem:

backpacker posted:

Instead of building them in the rock ring by Taylor Cabin, he purposely had lit one of them around a dead tree with the intent of setting it on fire, then continued walking down the trail while it was still ablaze.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The article describes the trail to the cabin where he was stranded as “well-marked” and states that he had made it there “without any issue”. I don’t understand why he couldn’t just have followed the trail back to his origin. 14 miles is not going to be fun on 1/2 liter of water, two oranges and a mango but it’s also not “drink your own piss and set a tree on fire” level of emergency. Just like wake up at sunrise, ration your water and you’ll be there by 10am before the desert heat really kicks off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

17 mile loop seems ambitious for a day hike in 100 degrees or anywhere near it in that kind of dry, but I'll freely admit I'm no trail god

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Speaking of the 10 essentials, what is everyone’s opinion of the iPhone 14 emergency SOS satellite feature? Is this a suitable stand in for the Garmin?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Obviously I have no idea what happened but it really sounds like the dude was on drugs or something. The facts listed in that article go from "unprepared hiker" to batshit crazy really fast.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

For a day trip it's probably okay, but it's a relatively breakable device with a battery life that's not going to last much longer than a day if you're actively using it as a part of your trip. An InReach can have offline maps, GPS, two way messaging, weather forecasts. All that in a ruggedized package with multiple days of battery life. I picked up an InReach Messenger, since I already have offline maps on my watch, and the battery life is a massive increase over the Mini 2.

I think the iPhone SOS will have some success stories of people getting rescued where it made a difference in the outcome, and some stories of people using it because they thought they could get a pizza delivered to their campsite out of cell service.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think if you are in the market for a GPS beacon / satellite communicator then you should probably get a real one, but the iPhone version is probably great for people who otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

liz posted:

Speaking of the 10 essentials, what is everyone’s opinion of the iPhone 14 emergency SOS satellite feature? Is this a suitable stand in for the Garmin?

I haven't needed it for rescue but there are stories of it working well.

I think it's immature and a little too Appley right now. It badly needs a way to send text messages indicating your status, even if they're predefined. Right now all you can do is manually send your gps coordinates to people that can see you in Find My. Sometimes when out hiking in a signal dead area it'll pop a notification advertising you can update your location. But if there's any cell signal at all (even one you can't use) the option is gone which seems like it would be problematic if someone is actually expecting you to ping.

I assume it's in early beta in terms of planned features and satellite texting will be a future enhancement.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

xzzy posted:

I haven't needed it for rescue but there are stories of it working well.

I think it's immature and a little too Appley right now. It badly needs a way to send text messages indicating your status, even if they're predefined. Right now all you can do is manually send your gps coordinates to people that can see you in Find My. Sometimes when out hiking in a signal dead area it'll pop a notification advertising you can update your location. But if there's any cell signal at all (even one you can't use) the option is gone which seems like it would be problematic if someone is actually expecting you to ping.

I assume it's in early beta in terms of planned features and satellite texting will be a future enhancement.

The Garmin ecosystem isn't much better. I run LiveTrack via Garmin Connect on my watch/phone, and I can have regular location updates on the InReach that will use the cell network on my phone while available, but they're two completely independent tracking systems. The InReach runs location updates at low rate, regardless of how the updates are going out, and LiveTrack goes dead once the cell signal is gone.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
An InReach pings via satellite, it doesn't require your cell signal like a garmin watch would.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

armorer posted:

An InReach pings via satellite, it doesn't require your cell signal like a garmin watch would.

The InReach Messenger, which connects to your phone via the Garmin Messenger app, will make use of your cell access (or WiFi) when available, and only uses satellite when the cell access is not available. It lets you do two way messaging, location updates, and weather reports, and you're only charged if it has to go through the satellites. It is still fully functional on its own, but it has 3 buttons (4 if you count the SOS button), and tapping out a custom message on there is really not something you'll probably do.

I just want to be able to send out one link for people to keep tabs on me, rather than two separate links. LiveTracks has location and track updates essentially in real-time, whereas the InReach location updates are every 5 minutes. You can move pretty far in 5 minutes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

carticket posted:

The InReach Messenger, which connects to your phone via the Garmin Messenger app, will make use of your cell access (or WiFi) when available, and only uses satellite when the cell access is not available. It lets you do two way messaging, location updates, and weather reports, and you're only charged if it has to go through the satellites. It is still fully functional on its own, but it has 3 buttons (4 if you count the SOS button), and tapping out a custom message on there is really not something you'll probably do.

I just want to be able to send out one link for people to keep tabs on me, rather than two separate links. LiveTracks has location and track updates essentially in real-time, whereas the InReach location updates are every 5 minutes. You can move pretty far in 5 minutes.

Yeah I know all of this, but from an emergency rescue perspective a 5 minute ping is fine and punching out a slow custom message is also fine. I have an InReach Mini and it does everything required to make sure I don't have to start a 230 acre wildfire to get someone's attention. Before this I had a PLB, which is literally just an international "Oh poo poo" button, and that was also fine for the above stated purpose.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

carticket posted:

How far can you actually go in 5 minutes? Or I am naively assuming everyone with an InReach is a hiker?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

5 minutes is about half a kilometer for an average walker, which isn't an enormous distance but it's not nothing either!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Varies a ton based on fatigue and terrain though.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How far can you actually go in 5 minutes? Or I am naively assuming everyone with an InReach is a hiker?

We use them for bikepacking races where people can cover a mile or more in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

armorer posted:

Yeah I know all of this, but from an emergency rescue perspective a 5 minute ping is fine and punching out a slow custom message is also fine. I have an InReach Mini and it does everything required to make sure I don't have to start a 230 acre wildfire to get someone's attention. Before this I had a PLB, which is literally just an international "Oh poo poo" button, and that was also fine for the above stated purpose.

Yeah, I just want the two independent Garmin live location systems (server side) to not be two independent systems.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

On foot? Not too far. Sliding down an icy slope or falling into moving water? Further. I keep mine on me in the car (though not tracking or anything, just for emergency comms), and will bring it with me when it's biking season again.

Is it going to make a difference between getting rescued or not? No, probably not. As I said above, I mostly just want to have the quick updating, but reliant on cell service LiveTrack fused with the slow updates via satellite into one UI for anyone I give a single link to (which is two links with two separate maps currently).

carticket fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 23, 2023