Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also torque up everything once you get yours, the manual lists what it all should be; REI sucks at prepping specialty bikes.

bromptons just ship in a big box so i'm not too worried, i assume REI isn't gonna touch it (it's home delivery not pickup in store) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HMi075NVDk

i do have torque wrenches if needed, though!

for the drivetrain stuff... it was really just me debating if i wanted to save on the 3-speed A-line instead of the 6-speed C-line, and I decided to go ahead and just spend the extra (especially with the REI "discount"). didn't end up trying the 3-speed, but i looked up some more stuff and it really sounds like the way the A-line is geared is not great for climbing hills of any note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

bromptons just ship in a big box so i'm not too worried,

I got two last month and I had to tighten poo poo on both of them

Love the Bromptons for what they are, get ready to tighten poo poo anyway. I rode mine three times before noticing that my seatpost clamp was way too fuckin loose and they don't even give you a torque value in the manual for it; I had to adjust it against my wife's for comparable torque.

quote:

for the drivetrain stuff... it was really just me debating if i wanted to save on the 3-speed A-line instead of the 6-speed C-line, and I decided to go ahead and just spend the extra (especially with the REI "discount"). didn't end up trying the 3-speed, but i looked up some more stuff and it really sounds like the way the A-line is geared is not great for climbing hills of any note

I went backwards on this fwiw, I ordered the A Line before regretting it and getting the C Line. The C Line is great and you won't regret it.

British anything is basically "enjoy the good poo poo but carry some wrenches."

Apr 7, 2003

Your original post is what got me to order our Bromptons to begin with btw

I have zero regrets, I'm just glad I had a bike stand, a torque wrench, and oddly enough the Brompton subreddit, which is actually useful.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

That's a bit out of my price range, but not bad. Looks really nice. I saw this bike a few pages back and had to Google search "steel gravel bike stra sur" to find it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I haven't rode this but my LBS owner swears by the Jamis Renegade steel bikes

https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/adventure-gravel/allroad-adventure/renegade/

I don't like the components at that price point much, fwiw.

e: link defaults to the entire range; affordable steel bikes are 9 and 10 speed. ain't worth it for the cost imho.

I looked at the 9 and 10 speed ones, and they look nice.

Salt Fish posted:

...define affordable

Oh, affordable, but not sketchy. Right around $1K or thereabouts. We're not talking about a new main bike here. I'm just thinking about what to do with some of my bonus, and I don't know for sure if I'll go for another bike. It's getting a little silly in the garage at the moment. I'm just thinking about something for when I'm in the mood for a slower ride on surfaces that aren't nice rail trails. I believe that with the bike market going the way it is, sooner or later, there'll be deals to be had, and I'm not in a big hurry or anything. I'll keep my eyes open for some used bikes, too, although I doubt I'll find many steel frames that are set up for gravel.

I guess I'm not a one-bike guy, and I was a fool to think I could be. Hell, I rode the Escape down to from the trailhead to locks and dam on Saturday because it was a short ride down to the yearly dam party*, and I still like riding it from time to time. The wind was brutal, but thankfully, blowing in one direction. I worked my rear end off for 12 MPH on the way down, and almost didn't have to pedal to average 18 MPH on the way back.

Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I looked at the 9 and 10 speed ones, and they look nice.

That's fair and fwiw I rode an Escape for a while before I jumped to a gravel bike. It was the best cycling thing I ever did.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Bicycle Megathread 5: I guess I'm not a one-bike guy, and I was a fool to think I could be

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

sweat poteto posted:

Yeah dude. This winter has been rough for finding clear roads. I tried to take my usual gravel path to work this morning and got turned around by solid ice on the path. Haven't ridden that route since December :negative:

Dema making me want to do Lookout again soon too. Haven't been that far south since 2021.

I don’t recall when I’ve been anywhere outside of the Lafayette/Erie/Longmont corridor in a year. Moving back from Tampa has severely limited me haha! Also, very limited fitness.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Oh, affordable, but not sketchy. Right around $1K or thereabouts. We're not talking about a new main bike here. I'm just thinking about what to do with some of my bonus, and I don't know for sure if I'll go for another bike. It's getting a little silly in the garage at the moment. I'm just thinking about something for when I'm in the mood for a slower ride on surfaces that aren't nice rail trails. I believe that with the bike market going the way it is, sooner or later, there'll be deals to be had, and I'm not in a big hurry or anything. I'll keep my eyes open for some used bikes, too, although I doubt I'll find many steel frames that are set up for gravel.

The State All Road is under $1000 and is a great platform for gravel riding, though you'll have to be comfortable putting it together and adjusting it. Wife has one and loves it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my lawyer contacted me yesterday about my ongoing lawsuit from when i got hit by a car. that was the time a car blew through a stop sign into me minding my own business riding in a bike lane. that happened on Cinco de Mayo in 2018. they are finally getting to settlement negotiations, so maybe ill see some money this year. still miss that bike. a lot of has happened since then lol.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jesus what carrier is this? They’re slow as gently caress in resolving a BI claim.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I hope the settlement involves you driving over them with a car

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Jesus what carrier is this? They’re slow as gently caress in resolving a BI claim.
everyone in BC is through ICBC, the only auto insurance company. they are notoriously bad for bike or pedestrian stuff. if it doesnt have a blue book value they are super lovely. they have since moved to a no-fault system which is somehow even worse but faster to payout small amounts but has complete control over the amount they will pay and you arnt able to sue the other person. im sure there is a massive class action lawsuit brewing because it means peds or cyclists hit by a car basically get screwed and the driver cant be sued as the law is currently set up, as far as my understanding goes. luckily i was hit before this change in rules.

in a lovely twist of irony on the same day my lawyer called me my friends girlfriend just got hit from behind on her bike and suffered a concussion and broken shoulder and now will be going through the process.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

tarlibone posted:

Getting a big bonus from work to go with the raise. And, I have two foolishly expensive hobbies.

I wish there was an affordable gravel bike with a steel frame. Don't know why I want one in steel, but I do. I do want a gravel bike to use on the rough trail near me and maybe the Katy, which is just across the river.

This was just released, and seems relevant to your interests. https://surlybikes.com/bikes/preamble

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Kona rove is a pretty solid steel gravel bike option as well. Starts at 1600 but a shop that has the green ones from "last year" might have them on sale.

funny my clipboard still had something bike related in there

https://konaworld.com/rove.cfm

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 24, 2023

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

jamal posted:

Kona rove is a pretty solid steel gravel bike option as well. Starts at 1600 but a shop that has the green ones from "last year" might have them on sale.

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/road/handlebars/vibe-evo-handlebar

290g is pretty light for a steel frame, guess I’ll give it a shot

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

290g is pretty light for a steel frame, guess I’ll give it a shot

uhh a steel frame absolutely does not weigh 290g

definitely more like 2kg at least, more for a relatively cheap one

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Guinness posted:

uhh a steel frame absolutely does not weigh 290g

definitely more like 2kg at least

click the link in the quoted post

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

click the link in the quoted post

it links to a handle bar but you're talking about a kona rove??

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Guinness posted:

it links to a handle bar but you're talking about a kona rove??

It was a joke from the wrong link posted. Of course, 290g for any frame would be good......

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:ughh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bud Manstrong posted:

This was just released, and seems relevant to your interests. https://surlybikes.com/bikes/preamble

...god, now there's part of me that's ready to immediately replace my hybrid with the drop bar version of this as my long-distance bike :negative:

trying to compare this to the Straggler. looks like this is only 1x8 and not 1x11, and the tires are ridged but not knobbed... otherwise not seeing any other big compromises?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Bud Manstrong posted:

I swear to fargin' God, I didn't see that when I looked yesterday. That does look pretty neat.

I'd want drops on this, and the one thing I would be concerned about is that while this bike does come with either drops or flats, the frames are, well, identical, near as I can tell. Is that an issue? I thought converting a bike with flat bars to drop bars had more things to consider beyond just changing that one component. Like, the geometry would be different. I'm mistaken, then?

I do like the look of that bike.

skudmunky posted:

The State All Road is under $1000 and is a great platform for gravel riding, though you'll have to be comfortable putting it together and adjusting it. Wife has one and loves it.

I've looked pretty hard at this in the past. I'm not at all averse to building a bike, as long as the number of special tools required is small. I'm fairly mechanically inclined; I do pay someone to change my car's oil, but that's only after most of a lifetime of doing quite a bit of wrenching. My only pause here is QC; I've heard things about bent derailleurs, and the website (if I'm remembering correctly) had one bike with a clearly misaligned front wheel (which didn't cause rubbing on the fork, thankfully) caused by, near as the owner could figure, a bent fork or something. I get that at a certain price point, you will have to deal with issues like that, but I wonder how common it is?

That Surly, though... the gearing looks like it's a bit more favorable for climbing and power, whereas the State seems to be aimed more at speed on flat pavement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

...god, now there's part of me that's ready to immediately replace my hybrid with the drop bar version of this as my long-distance bike :negative:

trying to compare this to the Straggler. looks like this is only 1x8 and not 1x11, and the tires are ridged but not knobbed... otherwise not seeing any other big compromises?

It looks like it has less tyre clearance and fewer mounting lugs. Idk what sort of reputation microshift stuff has. Does look like really good value overall. 1x8 seems super limiting though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hey, the dropouts on that new surly aren't weird and wacky :toot: It looks like they realized the flat bar cross check was an excellent idea but nobody wants cantilever brakes in tyool 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

abraham linksys posted:

Could always use one of the bike geometry websites to compare the two (and maybe your current bike) to see if the changes are things you'd like.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I hope the settlement involves you driving over them with a car

I've been mulling over extra insurance just to fund litigation to ruin the person that inevitably kills me with their car because the government sure isn't going to do anything about my impending ending via negligent homicide.

But I should probably just make sure my wife gets a nice payout.

Apr 7, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

everyone in BC is through ICBC, the only auto insurance company. they are notoriously bad for bike or pedestrian stuff. if it doesnt have a blue book value they are super lovely. they have since moved to a no-fault system which is somehow even worse but faster to payout small amounts but has complete control over the amount they will pay and you arnt able to sue the other person. im sure there is a massive class action lawsuit brewing because it means peds or cyclists hit by a car basically get screwed and the driver cant be sued as the law is currently set up, as far as my understanding goes. luckily i was hit before this change in rules.

in a lovely twist of irony on the same day my lawyer called me my friends girlfriend just got hit from behind on her bike and suffered a concussion and broken shoulder and now will be going through the process.

Canada somehow seems worse about Carbrain than the US

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A no fault insurance system is supposed to mean that your insurance company pays out for damages inflicted upon you instead of having to fight it out in the courts before being compensated. They're supposed to deal with the at fault insurer paying the victims insurer after the fact.

The problem comes up when you have a single insurer (usually good) in an extremely car brained society (lol that's Canada to a T).

EDIT: lawsuits for punitive damages also don't go nearly as far here. Nobody's getting a seven figure payout even if its proven in court that someone deliberately caused an injury or damage. Not the fault of insurance it's the fault of our legal system being run by :effort: types.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 23, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How easy is it to remove a quick-release axle from a wheel and replace it with a traditional axle? Is there anything proprietary to certain manufacturers that I should look out for?

Looking to jump back into working out and add some cardio to the end of my sessions, I got this resistance trainer for cheap from a friend, and I immediately realized that it's not going to work with the quick-release rear axle of my Giant Seek. I tried it on my BMX bike (lol remember when I asked about this a while ago?), lo and behold, the trainer is too large for the BMX wheel; the resistance roller is just shy of touching the wheel by like an inch.

So what I'm wondering is if I can cannibalize some parts here. Is it possible to remove the axle and nuts from the BMX and... actually, you know what, never mind, I can see now that it's not. Even if the parts fit the BMX axle isn't long enough to clear the Giant's gearset.

So tomorrow I'm gonna head to a bike shop and see what they say, but since I've already written this out, what information should I bring them to ensure I can get the right axle to replace the quick-release on the Giant? Thanks for your time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You shouldn’t need a different axle type for a resistance trainer, especially not a nutted axle. Post a pic of the trainer. Most likely you just need a trainer QR skewer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's this unit here.

It's not that I need a different axle type, but the way the trainer mounts seems to preclude it from attaching to the quick-release... oh, I think I see what you mean. Instead of the cam-type quick-release skewer, something like this so the trainer mount can actually grip it? Oh gently caress me, it's even in the picture. Hahaha well I didn't get that part.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya just go buy that style of skewer. They sell trainer skewers separately.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
OK, so this video is helping me decide between State and Surly. I mean, they both start with S, which is nice because S words tend to be sharp and fun to use; you can really slice through the air or just poke around with an S word.

But that video mentions bass players, one of my three expensive hobbies (and the one for which I've pretty much acquired all I need to acquire) ((oh yeah, I miscounted my expensive hobbies)). In particular, a good bass player who joins your band, which I don't like the sound of because that's my job on the line, but the dude sure looks cool with that Fender Jaguar Bass, which is literally the only bass I've wanted to buy in a long-rear end time.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
S-Works also starts with S. Crux would be a great gravel bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

abraham linksys posted:

looks like this is only 1x8 and not 1x11, and the tires are ridged but not knobbed... otherwise not seeing any other big compromises?

The spec for the drop bar model is 1x9 at least, though given the MSRP range, I'd guess it also goes for $1200 and not under 1k.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

:hmmyes: Added to the list, thanks!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sizing help request!

Looking at Scott Speedster or Addict Gravel bikes (same geo, just AL vs carbon) - I'm 185cm (6'1") with a 90cm/35.5" cycling inseam which puts me in-between sizes L(56) and XL(58). Via velogicfit (so including bars) compared the geometry to my road bike, a 58cm CAAD8 (a 2005 version where the CAAD8 was their top level AL race frame, identical geo to a CAAD9/10 as far as I can tell, vs the "new" CAAD8 which is more relaxed/enduro). The 56cm Scott with a 100mm stem is 7mm shorter in bar position than my CAAD, and 6mm higher, so virtually identical. A 58cm Scott with the same 100mm stem is 3mm shorter in bar reach, and 25mm higher.

I know that the trend with gravel frames is to use longer reach and less stem to get to a similar position, but regardless both of these are really close to my road bike reach. And I could dump the 20mm spacer stack on the 58 to get it to measure basically identical to a 56. After all, the difference in frame reach between the 56 and 58 is only 4mm.

Any suggestions on which way to go? I really don't have the ability to try them out in person. Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone have a phone wallet/dry bag they like for stowing their phone on rides? My main concern is keeping my phone/cash/id dry but also being able to check messages in a pinch. I've been using a no-name plastic dry bag but it's started falling apart.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I just use a ziploc sanwich bag or similar, it keeps the rain out or the sweat depending on the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I mean, that's what I used to use. I liked the dry bag better until it started falling apart. Maybe I just need to spring for the nice freezer bag ziplocks with the little plastic sliders.