Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like a good way to high side into hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The Nope bike is an Esse Esse 9, from what I recall.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

It's a shame every Akira rep is made by some dork who can't ride for poo poo and is based on some lame slow bike so all the attention is on cosmetics but not on making it live up to the looks

I reckon you could get pretty close to both if you started with a diavel

Drop the seat on this thing by 12 inches, shove in a gaming chair, and cover it in fairings:

Yes I know the space between the wheel and the engine is full of bike guts, but do you want it to look right or not? Figure it out :colbert:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Akira bike supposed to have an electric motor on both ends, allowing you to spin the front wheel backwards. When somebody solves that technical issue, imagine you can learn to slide given enough time.

Otherwise, any other replicas just replicate the plastics, not the function of that bike

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
an electric motor than inexplicably shits the bed if you don't keep the revs high while changing gears :byoscience:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ulf posted:

The Nope bike is an Esse Esse 9, from what I recall.

Yep!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://youtube.com/shorts/6gwri1NsDdM?feature=share

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

God, that was satisfying. Move that fat rear end hell yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not sure if this is still the case but at one point Harley was the most successful hill climb brand and they made bikes specifically intended to be good at it as well as having factory racing teams running exotic bespoke hill climbers running on methanol and poo poo. It's part of sportster's 'dna' along with flat track.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It’s part of why the Sportster is the only Harley I really like. Well, I like the Pan America too, but does that even count?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Pan America is a bike developed, manufactured, and sold by Harley-Davidson, Inc., so yes it definitely counts.

I think the XR-750 looks cool as hell. Too bad it's not competitive anymore. I really like that street tracker homage someone post here a couple times.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sure it’s made by Harley, designed by Harley, has the Harley name and branding, and is sold exclusively at Harley dealerships.

But is it a Harley?

the H-D brand is so tied up in itself that I’m not completely taking the piss with this question

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remember the time Kawasaki put green plastics on the drz and called it a klx?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

I think the XR-750 looks cool as hell. Too bad it's not competitive anymore. I really like that street tracker homage someone post here a couple times.

The XR750 was so cool. Rip to a real one.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Yes. YES! Also school break next week so I'm off work. YEEEES!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I'm not gate-keeping the Pan America. It's just such a completely different bike from all the Dynas and Softails and ____ Glide bikes that I think it's reasonable for folks to only like the Pan Am.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The crazy thing to me is that Harley never got in on the retro standard bike market. The 50s sportsters had an upright riding position. Design a sportster with that layout, call it the “Sportster Standard”, give it some retro 50s colors and cash in on that hipster crowd. It’s not even selling out, they literally used to look like that down to the cool colors. For a brand so obsessed with tradition how did they not see that opportunity to compete with triumph/moto guzzi/royal enfield etc

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

That’s a cool bike, just make that. Offer it in that color combination it’s cool, you already made it just make that again

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sportster line has been discontinued as of this year, so no.

HD is pivoting to less bikes at higher prices business model since the new CEO took office. They're focusing on higher-end stuff, custom colors and limited editions. So no hipster bikes

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The Sportster S and Nightster are still there. The S being the sporty roots of the line and the Nightster being a peppier bike that can be customized to hell and back.

If I found the Nightster just a little more comfortable, I might not be switching brands for my next bike. But they really only make 900 pound and up bikes for tall people.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1628908305526423554

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Geekboy posted:

The Sportster S and Nightster are still there. The S being the sporty roots of the line and the Nightster being a peppier bike that can be customized to hell and back.

If I found the Nightster just a little more comfortable, I might not be switching brands for my next bike. But they really only make 900 pound and up bikes for tall people.

I was referring to the previous generation design, sorry didn't make it clear.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Sportster line has been discontinued as of this year, so no.

HD is pivoting to less bikes at higher prices business model since the new CEO took office. They're focusing on higher-end stuff, custom colors and limited editions. So no hipster bikes

They’re a couple of decades late to the party anyway, triumph relaunched the bonneville in 2001. My post was more of a why didn’t they not a why don’t they (though I still think it would be cool)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Good job strapping that helmet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

That’s a cool bike, just make that. Offer it in that color combination it’s cool, you already made it just make that again

They did this a bunch of times in the 90's and early 2000's, they did the same with the dyna, they just didn't have the 50's style colors

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Remember the time Kawasaki put green plastics on the drz and called it a klx?

You think that's weird, remember the time Kawasaki put orange plastics on a Vstrom?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Phy posted:

You think that's weird, remember the time Kawasaki put orange plastics on a Vstrom?

what the gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

FBS posted:

what the gently caress

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Slavvy posted:

They did this a bunch of times in the 90's and early 2000's, they did the same with the dyna, they just didn't have the 50's style colors

The 50s colors are the most important part

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually saw one of those at the dealer once, even

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Geekboy posted:

I'm not gate-keeping the Pan America. It's just such a completely different bike from all the Dynas and Softails and ____ Glide bikes that I think it's reasonable for folks to only like the Pan Am.

I will maintain to my dying day they should've named the Pan America the Dirt Glide

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phy posted:

What in the fresh hell

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s weird that the Kawi/Suzuki relationship only seems to go one way. Kawi rebadges Suzukis, but not the other way around as far as I’m aware?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think because bikes are like half of Suzuki's income while they're more of a minor hobby for Kawasaki

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah which makes less sense to me because Kawasaki is massive and makes mining equipment and wild poo poo like that, you would think they'd have a few spare hundred billion for their bike hobby. Whereas Suzuki probably doesn't have that sort of cash and taking an existing bike and putting their name on it and getting to speedrun all the R&D costs would be pretty appealing.

But then again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suzuki get to sell Kawasaki some extra units that they wouldn't otherwise shift, get quick easy cash because marketing and moving them is now someone else's problem

Kawasaki get to sell some bikes without going through the tedious process of having to develop one and set up the production line

Most of this is about market segmentation and how you have to have a full spread of models even if some of them sell next to no units. Kawasaki can say yes! We have a 1000cc v-twin adv and a 400cc motard! We are a real company! And then sell you a versys or ninja when you actually walk through the door

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fwiw I don't think the KLV was ever contemporary with any Versys, I think might have been more a case of plugging a gap in their product line until they could put something in-house together

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If you broke out the motorcycle parts of KHIs "Powersports and engine" (which is already their biggest business area, accounting for over 30% of KHIs revenue), motorcycles alone would be their second biggest business area at about 225 billion yen in revenue (Q3), motorcycles are way more important to Kawasaki than people think.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 27, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If you broke out the motorcycle parts of KHIs "Powersports and engine" (which is already their biggest business area, accounting for over 30% of KHIs revenue), motorcycles alone would be their second biggest business area at about 225 billion yen in revenue (Q3), motorcycles are way more important to Kawasaki than people think.

I didn't know this, I honestly thought they were a minor part of the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well it's a numbers game right

sure, kawasaki heavy industries builds giant ships. but they only build a couple of those a year.

motorcycles don't cost very much but they sell a lot of motorcycles.