Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mom moved out to an apple orchard with one housecat. There was a large feral cat population that her housecat immediately became the boss of. Mom used to go for walks with Silver, and the ferals would all come walk along with her. When Silver finally went to her rest, the ferals stopped following mom on walks because they had never been following her, they were following along with Silver.

The boss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA if I report a Uni classmate for getting a medical certificate for "mental health and burnout issues" so she could defer an exam to attend a BTS concert?

quote:

A classmate was out sick last year when we had a mid semester exam.

She happened to come up as a recommended person on my instagram today and I got curious and looked at her profile. She clearly was not sick. She was overseas at a BTS concert literally 2 days after the exam. She posted pics a month later as a "throwback", but I know the dates of the concert because I like BTS too!

I asked a friend who is her friend and was in the same class, she said "yeah, she got the tickets but knew they wouldn't let her defer the exam for a concert, so she telehealth-ed a medical certificate for a week and used that". Out university expects you put university first and will not give extensions for holidays, concerts, birthdays etc.

When I asked my friend why she didn't report her, she shrugged and said it wasn't her business and I should stay out if it.

But is is extremely unfair because I didn't try to go to that concert because I knew I had the exam and had to put Uni and my commitment to the class before a concert. Yet she got to do it. When I said that, my friend said "it's not that deep, there is more to live than Uni, let it go".

I asked another friend who is also good friends with her and she told me back to hell off because she is on a support plan due to depression from her sister dying a few months earlier and told the doctor she was burned out and just needed a week off and that she said "whether she takes that week off in Australia or abroad is none of the University's business". She can't be that burned out if she can fly overseas!

I really think this is unfair and she needs to face repercussions from the University as she got more time for the studies AND got to do a social event instead of her exam when we are expected to put Uni first.

ATIA for reporting this?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Mom moved out to an apple orchard with one housecat. There was a large feral cat population that her housecat immediately became the boss of. Mom used to go for walks with Silver, and the ferals would all come walk along with her. When Silver finally went to her rest, the ferals stopped following mom on walks because they had never been following her, they were following along with Silver.

The boss:

Finally, a good boss

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA if I report a Uni classmate for getting a medical certificate for "mental health and burnout issues" so she could defer an exam to attend a BTS concert?

Yes

Moving on.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Fatty posted:

Me (24F) am getting suspicious of my husband (25M) on what he does every Saturday night

Wife blew up his dogging spot, so what.

Working with someone in construction is the traditional way to deal with troublesome evidence. At least that is the conclusion I feel that we're meant to jump to.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pirate Radar posted:

I can’t figure out what my husband does when he goes out with his friends. They all seem like normal men! He’s a construction worker and his friends are a policeman, a biker, a cowboy, and a Native American.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Shithouse Dave posted:

One of my childhood cats was a tabby and white guy named Arthur, and he would come on walks with us. Cat leashes weren’t a thing in 1980s New Zealand, but he would happily trundle along the bush trails behind our house with us. He was a very good cat.

(Arthur with a very small shithouse dave, 1981)

absolutely adorable

Evil Willow posted:

yeah how dare classmate do things they like, since when is having a break and doing what you want good for your mental health

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

erosion posted:

Working with someone in construction is the traditional way to deal with troublesome evidence. At least that is the conclusion I feel that we're meant to jump to.

So are they bank robbers or a Gladio cell? Or both.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

One of my childhood cats was a tabby and white guy named Arthur, and he would come on walks with us. Cat leashes weren’t a thing in 1980s New Zealand, but he would happily trundle along the bush trails behind our house with us. He was a very good cat.

(Arthur with a very small shithouse dave, 1981)

Arthur looks oddly like the cat here! Slightly rounder face and I’m basing it off of memories and an image but wow, also a baby!!!

mllaneza posted:

The boss:

oh goodness someone has started mass food processing onions in my apartment

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Fatty posted:

Speaking of loving guys last night. (Long, but at least read the last update)

Me (24F) am getting suspicious of my husband (25M) on what he does every Saturday night

Wife blew up his dogging spot, so what.

Definitely loving. There's literal sign posted places in Amsterdam and Rotterdam where you can gently caress in the open air. In other spots it's sometimes tolerated, sometimes discouraged. Sometimes they remove access paths to popular places because of nimbys who are bothered by people loving well out of sight and hearing range, outside of city limits etc.

It's popular because gay cruising bars have been on the decline since the 2000s (there are essentially no gay bars in any city with less than 250.000 people), and also sad that there are still straight married gay dudes around. But even today, sometimes people only figure out after marriage that they're gay. Strange but a recurring thing. Lack of role models, never had gay friends etc.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 22, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Finally, a good boss

The best.

Boss of the people too. Walk past her without paying attention to her? One claw snags you as you go by. Not awake enough to let her under the covers? One claw gently but firmly poking your nose until you did. Silver ruled that orchard. Absolutely 100% her own person, that cat owned so hard.

Two of the ferals decided they wanted to sleep with mom. Mr. Fluffer ended up semi-domesticated after a lot of time caring for him after vet visits; Sheba was feral in the streets but "I invented being petted" in the sheets.

Video evidence,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDmtNSYKfE

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Wasn't there some extensive European far right extremist militia/coup broken up recently?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Wasn't there some extensive European far right extremist militia/coup broken up recently?

There was one in Germany. It wasn't going anywhere.

https://www.vox.com/2022/12/9/23500307/germany-coup-prince-heinrich-qanon

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yes and their goal was to overthrow the government and install Prince Heinrich XIII to the throne of Germany. I’m just saying my theory is extremely plausible and if we’re being honest with ourselves, true.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for asking my parents for their entire estate if they want me to be my sister's guardian.

quote:

I (F23) have been told my entire life that if anything happens to my parents I will be my sister's guardian. She is 33 and has some disabilities. She is currently living in a group home. The government pays for a good portion of the cost but not all. My parents have made sure that they have accessed every resource available for her to make sure she has as good a life as she can.

I was we were visiting her this last weekend when they brought it up again. They are both reasonably healthy but they both had health scares in the last couple of years. They once again said that I would be her guardian.

I have been giving this a fair bit of thought. I have two older brothers. They are both married and established in their careers. They would be better choices than I am.

I want to go see the world. I am lucky enough that my job can be done from anywhere that I can access the internet.

When we went sort dinner I brought it up and said that I had three ideas.

They make all three of us her guardians so we could split the responsibilities and duties.

They leave their entire estate to my sister in a trust that will oversee her care.

They leave me their entire estate with the proviso that I become her sole guardian and take full responsibility. Minus sentimental stuff for the rest of my family obviously.

I thought that was fair since it's not like they are rich and their estate will mostly consist of their house and the insurance policies they took out when they realized the long term costs of care for my sister.

They said that I'm trying to shirk my responsibility to my sister and that I'm greedy for trying to get everything.

I had one last suggestion and they really hated it. I said that they were welcome to cut me completely out of their will. But that had to include guardianship of my sister. They could leave everything to her and my brothers but that meant I would be completely free of responsibility for her care.

My dad got really angry and my mom was crying when I left.

My brothers both called me to say I was being an rear end in a top hat springing this on my parents. And that I was being greedy trying to keep them and their families from getting anything when our parents pass away. I asked both if them if they wanted 100% responsibility for our sister in return for the entire estate. I volunteered to sign away everything to them. Neither one took me up on the offer.
:thunk:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for asking my parents for their entire estate if they want me to be my sister's guardian.

I really don't understand why option #2 was a no go. Apart from the fact that OP only exists because the parents wanted a caretaker for their real daughter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pomme de Terror posted:

OP needs to cut contact and loving run. The parents want to stick her with all of the responsibility without any support and neither of her brothers want anything to do with the guardianship. Don't sign anything and get out while you still can.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Forest guy is probably just looking for some hard wood amongst the trees.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I dunno the laws where OP is. But I dob't think you can force someone to be a legal guardian without their consent.

OPs parents and siblings are trying to guilt her into it. But if she doesnt sign anything, as far as i know she is in the clear.

As for leaving ot all on a trust for older sisters care. I would imagine that if they did that the two selfish arsehole brothers would find a way to finagle their disabled sister of her money,and blame OP for being "selfish"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

well why not posted:

Forest guy is probably just looking for some hard wood amongst the trees.

He’s a lumberjack and he’s okay

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I dunno the laws where OP is. But I dob't think you can force someone to be a legal guardian without their consent.

OPs parents and siblings are trying to guilt her into it. But if she doesnt sign anything, as far as i know she is in the clear.

As for leaving ot all on a trust for older sisters care. I would imagine that if they did that the two selfish arsehole brothers would find a way to finagle their disabled sister of her money,and blame OP for being "selfish"

There doesn’t have to be legal way to force her to care for the sister, guilt and familial/societal pressure is more than enough sometimes. Also “Where else is she going to go, into the system?”

As an example, and I’ve told this story before, but friends of ours are a couple in their early forties. They decided a few years ago to tell her parents that they’re not having children. Mom and dad, in their late seventies, didn’t take the “No grandchildren” news very well and went out and adopted a six month old baby. So with their age and health issues (father has had several strokes) they’ve put our friends in a position where they’ll likely have to take custody before the kid is even in middle school or else she’ll get put in foster care.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Pretty much everyone in the country of Europe fucks in the forest

You go into any given European forest you best be prepared to find at least one instance of europeans piledriving eachother

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not accommodating my niece?

quote:

My daughter, Lexi, had her 8th birthday party recently. We invited some of her friends, and some family, including my brother, sister in law, and niece, Claire (6f). Claire has several allergies, gluten and dairy being the main ones.

For the party, I had pizza, chicken tenders, and sandwiches for the food. Chips, fruits and veggies for the side. Vanilla cake for dessert. For Claire, I made gluten free and vegan Mac and cheese, bought gluten free chicken tenders from the store, and she could have the fruits and veggies and chips. I got her a vegan and gluten free chocolate cupcake for dessert so she didn’t feel left out. At the party, Claire was upset that she couldn’t have pizza and Chick-fil-A like the rest of the kids and upset that she couldn’t have the “fancy cake”.

I tried my best to include her by getting special food and dessert for her, but my sister in law yelled at me afterwards for not just offering allergy free food and cake for the whole party so Claire didn’t feel as excluded. I get why Claire was upset, she’s 6, she’s still a kid. But I am furious at my sister in law for yelling at me and calling me cold and selfish. My daughter doesn’t have allergies. This party was for her. Most 8 year olds don’t want to eat dairy free and gluten free if they don’t have to. I told my sister in law that I went out of my way to try to make Claire feel included, and as her parent if she wants more, it’s her responsibility to provide it for her child. I understand that it’s hard to have allergies as a kid and feel excluded (I had an allergy that I outgrew eventually), but that’s life and the world doesn’t revolve around Claire’s allergies. AITA?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There doesn’t have to be legal way to force her to care for the sister, guilt and familial/societal pressure is more than enough sometimes. Also “Where else is she going to go, into the system?”

As an example, and I’ve told this story before, but friends of ours are a couple in their early forties.

Thats hosed up. As an antidote I will continue cat posting. Meet Mr. Fluffer. He saved me from a panic attack once. I have some hosed up spine things, and sleeping at mom's place triggered enough of them that I was borderline hyperventilating because the attack was telling me I was having a heart attack.

The prospect of waking mom up for a 3 am Christmas morning drive to the nearest emergency room for nothing was a panic attack in its own right. I was sitting on the side of the bed trying to talk myself down and failing when Fluff ran in, jumped in my lap and put his front paws on my shoulders to hug me. I hugged the best cat ever until I calmed down and was able to get to sleep.

This guy,

What do we say to the god of Death?
I want my cat back you son of a bitch.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As an example, and I’ve told this story before, but friends of ours are a couple in their early forties. They decided a few years ago to tell her parents that they’re not having children. Mom and dad, in their late seventies, didn’t take the “No grandchildren” news very well and went out and adopted a six month old baby. So with their age and health issues (father has had several strokes) they’ve put our friends in a position where they’ll likely have to take custody before the kid is even in middle school or else she’ll get put in foster care.

How the gently caress is this even allowed to happen? I can’t wrap my head around how adoption appears to be a prohibitively difficult process and yet also at the same time other idiots can get a 5 pack of babies same day delivery from the adoption store.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Her parents are Russian expats and definitely pulled some shady poo poo to get a white six month old within a year.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oh so they literally went to the adoption store.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

OP had previously asked the University of Melbourne subreddit for advice on this, and was roundly told to gently caress off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unimelb/comments/118mevp/classmate_deferred_exam_for_a_bts_concert_last/

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Thats hosed up. As an antidote I will continue cat posting. Meet Mr. Fluffer. He saved me from a panic attack once. I have some hosed up spine things, and sleeping at mom's place triggered enough of them that I was borderline hyperventilating because the attack was telling me I was having a heart attack.

The prospect of waking mom up for a 3 am Christmas morning drive to the nearest emergency room for nothing was a panic attack in its own right. I was sitting on the side of the bed trying to talk myself down and failing when Fluff ran in, jumped in my lap and put his front paws on my shoulders to hug me. I hugged the best cat ever until I calmed down and was able to get to sleep.

This guy,

Cats are peculiar like that, but we’re better for it. I’m currently at this moment incredibly anxious about a thing I need to do shortly, and Pikachu is saddled next to me purring away. Now if he could use photoshop…

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

mllaneza posted:

This guy,

it's hosed up the god o death keeps taking such perfect kitties away from us

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
AITA for not turning my alarm off so my BF can sleep?

quote:

Me and my BF moved in together a few months ago. Our apartment is one bedroom and we have a couch.

I set an alarm for 6.30 so I can try go for a run with my friends. It's not possible for us to do this another time, unless it's at night.

BF's job doesn't have standard hours, right now he has 2 days each classified as morning, afternoon and overnight shifts, and day 7 is off. My alarm doesn't usually clash with anything because he's either already up or at work by then.

So now he has afternoon shifts twice a week. By the time he gets home from those and sleeps it's 12 or 1.

The issue now is my alarm wakes him up at 6.30. Tried a vibrating one but it's useless for me. I said he can go back to sleep after, but BF's reply is that it's hard for him to go back to sleep if he's woken up like this and he needs to rest, and I don't get up. He wants me to turn the alarm off entirely.

I don't think this is fair because this is my routine, and I suggested he sleep on the couch those nights but he refused to.

Reddit AITA?

quote:

He's an air traffic controller, and yes I know he's going to work. No need to be cynical. We trust one another.

Perhaps the biggest "don't gently caress with peoples sleep" ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like this word "try" in that sentence

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fatty posted:

AITA for not turning my alarm off so my BF can sleep?

Perhaps the biggest "don't gently caress with peoples sleep" ever.

As someone who works the overnight shift I hope OP stubs their toe every day for the rest of their life.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps OP can sleep on the couch with their phone alarm in the living room on those nights. Clearly they see the couch as a viable alternative to sleeping in a bed, right?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

That European woods story is just blowing my mind. Mostly it’s the mental image of this neurotic woman and her friends on a fake scavenger hunt for a Valentines gift in the middle of a forest while 10 dudes randomly standing around glare at her. Like obviously it’s a cruising spot but I’d also like to believe they interrupted a satanic cabal meeting or militia training session.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Is this that insane person who hates everyone in their life for speaking other languages, and is convinced it’s a conspiracy against their ~~true love~~ with a coworker?

If so, actually dating someone is quite new. Progress!

At this point it's like a female version of Fightman. Except that I can just about understand someone getting turned on by imagining being put in scissor holds by pretty much everyone they meet, but I can't understand how you get turned on by imagining telling people off for speaking other languages only for the spectators to disagree and hate you.

Human sexuality is very complex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fightman seems fake but feels real because goddamn are there definitely the kind of dudes who are constantly raging and getting in fights they lose miserably because they're complete twigs and have no pain tolerance, and no sense to even use pocket sand.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

teen witch posted:

There’s a spot of woods behind my backyard that I’m floored isn’t used for boning and/or murdering. Definitely has been used for drinking and drugs so not entirely repressed, but it’s mostly people taking their pets up there. One of my neighbors has the most incredibly well behaved tabby who will walk alongside him, leash or no leash. It is a banner day for the Witch household when we get to see that cat just waltz confidently out the woods with his owner following along.

My dad used to do this with his cat, Amber, there was a beaver pond near his house and they'd walk down every day and sit by it. When he got sick and couldn't walk anymore he'd feed her eggs off of his plate.

One of his last FB posts.

Amber a week ago when I was feeding her while my mom was out of town. She's done with pets but just kinda wants to hang out.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Bramble posted:

That European woods story is just blowing my mind. Mostly it’s the mental image of this neurotic woman and her friends on a fake scavenger hunt for a Valentines gift in the middle of a forest while 10 dudes randomly standing around glare at her. Like obviously it’s a cruising spot but I’d also like to believe they interrupted a satanic cabal meeting or militia training session.

Because her writing style is so insanely long and hyper detailed I forgot I was reading r/relationships or whatever and got Sir Arthur Conan Doyle/HP Lovecraft vibes. I thought we were setting the scene for a big denouement with a cool mystery, otherworldly horror, or at the very least - hardcore gay sex.

What a wet fart of a story lady. Please either make something up in the future or spring for the PI who would probably condense that 20 page essay into a succint. “Followed husband. He hosed 10 guys in a forest/buried stolen jewelry/prayed to an Elder God”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Fatty posted:

Anyway, these "friends" of his always come by our house 7 PM sharp. I think there have been like 3 times or so that they haven't been here by 7 PM. And when I mean 7 PM sharp. I MEAN not a minute later. And even when they have been later it has at most been like 5 minutes only.

lol