Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drZfctLr-M&t=47s

Nice shootin'

Edit: perfect page snipe:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's also a few Youtube videos of people using a chainsaw or a sawzall to trim the antlers and free the locked up bucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tcaIepawVQ

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drat, that poor guy was exhausted.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beachcomber posted:

Please tell me you're a butcher or taxidermist. Hunter maybe? Forestry service?

Hunter. I take all my heads in for chronic wasting disease testing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Jason Voordeer.
Antlerface

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My friends dad is a taxidermist. Mounted a couple deer for my dad. One day he asked if I wanted to come to the basement to see his "masterpiece." It was a four foot wide diorama type thing by his Warhammer terrain tables. Snarling coyote holding a blood soaked deer leg, pool of red resin in the grass by his feet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fawnal Deerstanation

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

UwUnabomber posted:

My friends dad is a taxidermist. Mounted a couple deer for my dad. One day he asked if I wanted to come to the basement to see his "masterpiece." It was a four foot wide diorama type thing by his Warhammer terrain tables. Snarling coyote holding a blood soaked deer leg, pool of red resin in the grass by his feet.

It's weird and a bit disquieting that some people choose the flesh of dead animals as their medium, but it's an art form for sure. I'd love to see that masterpiece, but I'd also have way too many questions about its construction.

Also we sometimes get stuff like this:

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Feb 21, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hunter. I take all my heads in for chronic wasting disease testing.

Have you had any positive ids?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not yet, fortunately. I know quite a few people that have, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is CWD transmissible in the meat or something?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's still unclear how likely it is that prions can be transmitted by eating meat. There's no conclusive evidence, but the consequences of that happening are terrible (Creutzfelt-Jakob). There is one study that indicated feeding meat from a positive deer to a macaque transmitted the prions but that's all I'm aware of. Brain and spinal tissue are more likely to cause transmission, and there's always the possibility that the butchering process could cause contamination, but it's not difficult to avoid that. I wouldn't knowingly eat a positive animal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

It's still unclear how likely it is that prions can be transmitted by eating meat. There's no conclusive evidence, but the consequences of that happening are terrible (Creutzfelt-Jakob). There is one study that indicated feeding meat from a positive deer to a macaque transmitted the prions but that's all I'm aware of. Brain and spinal tissue are more likely to cause transmission, and there's always the possibility that the butchering process could cause contamination, but it's not difficult to avoid that. I wouldn't knowingly eat a positive animal.

whats ur av from

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYEz4OKCn8

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

thank you

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is real cool.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Are any other antlered animals known to rat king themselves together like deer?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jackalopes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to suggest I am sure there is an antlered rat cryptid somewhere but I can't remember what it's called, but presumably it can rat king itself on both ends to create a sort of neural network.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to suggest I am sure there is an antlered rat cryptid somewhere but I can't remember what it's called.

Rabbit, but there's more than one. American version is the jackalope. German version is the wolpertinger. There are others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I know a jackalope is a rabbit but I vaguely recall there being a rat based one.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's just what happens when cranium rats become druids

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OwlFancier posted:

No I know a jackalope is a rabbit but I vaguely recall there being a rat based one.

Well there's the deer mouse, which is a mouse, and the mouse deer, which I think is not a deer at all, and is definitely not a mouse. None of them have antlers but mouse deer have fangs so that's pretty badass I guess.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

OwlFancier posted:

The Wolperdinger can be based on various animals. The most popular is a Squirrel iirc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Well there's the deer mouse, which is a mouse, and the mouse deer, which I think is not a deer at all, and is definitely not a mouse. None of them have antlers but mouse deer have fangs so that's pretty badass I guess.

What are fangs but the antlers of the mouth?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Are antlers the teeth of the forehead? Makes you think

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Field Mousepad posted:

Are antlers the teeth of the forehead? Makes you think

No I think antlers are related to hairs, like a hair that grows out as one giant chunk.

Or is that horns?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Antlers that inject venom :magemage:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The neurotoxic venom of the caribou mouse's velvet antlers

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jackalopes are real. They are bunnies with a virus that causes keratinous growths that are mistaken for horns. :science:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/What-HPV-ridden-rabbits-can-teach-us-about-16833717.php

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Panfilo posted:

No I think antlers are related to hairs, like a hair that grows out as one giant chunk.

Or is that horns?

Antlers are mostly bone, horns are keratin sheaths, similar to hair and nails.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

This is the weirdest phrasing. The hunter found the deer tangled up and was able to shoot one to death but sadly, the other deer had already died

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

500excf type r posted:

This is the weirdest phrasing. The hunter found the deer tangled up and was able to shoot one to death but sadly, the other deer had already died

It's sad when animals suffer, like when starving to death while tangled in the rack of another deer. Hunting doesn't mean you enjoy suffering.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's sad when animals suffer, like when starving to death while tangled in the rack of another deer. Hunting doesn't mean you enjoy suffering.

The intended implication he seems to have inferred is "it's sad because the hunter didn't get to kill the other"

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Feb 22, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Death by being tangled in a big rack

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Better ease its suffering by killing it and mounting it on my wall instead of freeing it!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Some may call it unsporting. But I'm a sportsman. Everything I do is sporting!

Now get in the cage, so I can shoot you in a sportsmanlike manner.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

marshmallow creep posted:

Some may call it unsporting. But I'm a sportsman. Everything I do is sporting!

Now get in the cage, so I can shoot you in a sportsmanlike manner.

The next-to-most dangerous game!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rosytk91Kc1yicrsp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The intended implication he seems to have inferred is "it's sad because the hunter didn't get to kill the other"

I think it's phrased that way because of the extra paperwork involved in claiming a deer that's already dead. It can be a pain in the rear end. (Coming from an area where people will literally carry bolt cutters for roadkill deer to take their antlers.....at least this dude went through the proper channels).