Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
release notes leaked and the update is called the Fractal update and introduces a new ship type that allows for "skimming over planetary surfaces at high speed", a VR overhaul, an expedition, and a Wonders Catalogue feature for sharing interesting flora/fauna with others.

i'm beginning to think they're more or less finished with NMS and have their main people on whatever the big new project is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And here it is

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1628394185018740739

Not out on PS5 yet though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm beginning to think they're more or less finished with NMS and have their main people on whatever the big new project is.

Do you say this because it's not including a major content update? I'd be willing to bet that the PSVR port required a lot of work which could be what took most of their time. :shrug:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

quote:

12 Ship Garage

I'm sold

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Apart from the new ship type I don't even know what I'm going to put in those extra slots.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gyro menuing sounds good. Cursor based menus on controllers are the absolute pits.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is this huge VR overhaul that you speak of, sean

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is this huge VR overhaul that you speak of, sean

Better graphics and handling overall to VR, and full support/official release for the PSVR2 port of the game.

There's a poo poo load of vr enhancements listed on the website.

This is the only game to make me want a VR setup, holy poo poo. I've played it a bit and I think I would have rather not, since now I know what I'm missing.

Edit: I love all of these changes.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1628402974614495232?t=B1-CumJy1qDjfCSCZUKxRA&s=19

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you say this because it's not including a major content update? I'd be willing to bet that the PSVR port required a lot of work which could be what took most of their time. :shrug:

I'm sure it was quite a bit of work. I should've been more specific. I was mostly thinking of the lack of substantial updates to planets or exploration/procgen in general over the last ~2ish years. It's fair to assume they're busy on the next thing?

For me the worlds are the compelling part of the game and I'm not interested in new ways to traverse them or fight on them or whatever when I've already seen everything they can offer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is the whole VR update for PC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:eyepop: "Huge VR Overhaul"

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1628394185018740739

Even though I'm most looking forward to laying in bed and playing NMS on the steam deck, I'm gonna have to know what this huge VR overhaul is, because NMS is so close to being a fantastic VR game, but is held back by a few things.

E: piecing it together from here https://www.nomanssky.com/fractal-update/?cli_action=1677076486.886

All VR players with a higher resolution headset now benefit from a sharper UI, placed at a more comfortable default distance from their eyes.
The VR play area boundaries are now far more lenient, reducing instances of the play area warning occurring unnecessarily.
Fixed an issue that could cause shaky or inaccurate VR cursor positioning over time.
VR players can now use hand controllers to position the Personal Forcefield directly, allowing for advanced combat tactics.
VR swimming controls have been significantly improved.
The VR base building experience and UI has been significantly improved.
The VR base building menu now correctly appears as part of the wrist projector.
When base building in VR, snap-points and part previews now track the player’s head position rather than cursor.
The VR galaxy map experience and UI has been significantly improved.
It is now possible to travel through the galactic centre in VR.
Fixed a VR-specific issue that could block interactions after using the galaxy map.
The VR surveying experience and UI has been significantly improved.
Markers for objects belonging to other players are now easier to target in VR.
Fixed an issue that could cause a visual lag in Multi-Tool positioning in VR.
The projector menu on the rear of larger Multi-Tools now has a custom, more appropriate position.
Fixed an issue that could cause custom markers to be positioned incorrectly in VR.
Fixed a rendering glitch that could occur when scanning in VR with the HUD disabled.
Fixed a clipping issue that could occur with the player’s head when entering Photo Mode in VR.
Player hands are now shown correctly in VR Photo Mode.
The “Scan” and “Change Weapon” right-hand wrist projector options are now usable inside starships and exocraft.
With the combat auto-follow behaviour engaged, players are no longer required to have their hands on the flight stick to fire starship weapons in VR.
Changing speeds in the starship now gives a small amount of vibration in VR, to provide feedback that the throttle adjustment was successful.
The ship and companion summoning UI has been improved and clarified in VR.
Fixed an issue that caused the UI to move around while interacting with creatures and companions in VR.
Fixed an issue that could cause areas of the Space Anomaly to load or unload incorrectly, based on where the VR teleport preview was currently aimed.
VR players can now adjust their jetpack direction mid-flight while the teleport preview is being aimed.
Fixed an issue that could occur when using VR teleport movement to navigate between the freighter hangar and bridge.
A number of options have been added for VR players to adjust the distance from the screen of various menu elements.
An option has been added for VR players to adjust the strength of the vignette effect deployed to reduce motion sickness.
Fixed a large number of issues that could cause cropping text, particularly in VR.
Fixed an issue that could allow VR players to break the mission flow in Nexus missions by taking off too early.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Wrong thread.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's minor in the scheme of things but Di-Hydrogen expansion is dead. Refining the jelly gives 40 now. Crafting it costs 40. You can refine Di-Hydrogen into the jelly for 30, but doing it that way only gave 1 per minute. Too slow to be all that useful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

best update ever

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm sure it was quite a bit of work. I should've been more specific. I was mostly thinking of the lack of substantial updates to planets or exploration/procgen in general over the last ~2ish years. It's fair to assume they're busy on the next thing?

For me the worlds are the compelling part of the game and I'm not interested in new ways to traverse them or fight on them or whatever when I've already seen everything they can offer.

I think they were focusing on making the game super nice for psvr2 for this one. I'm in the same boat as you though, all the changes look great but until there's some proc gen fuckery I've already seen everything.

Still, Sean said this will be an even bigger year than last year so I'm not worried. I know an update will come soon that I'll really dig

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 22, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Still, Sean said this will be an even bigger year than last year so I'm not worried. I know an update will come soon that I'll really dig

The best part is, he's admitted that he's learned his lesson of over-promising and under-delivering from back at the launch, so I'm looking forward to whatever else happens with NMS.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

It's minor in the scheme of things but Di-Hydrogen expansion is dead. Refining the jelly gives 40 now. Crafting it costs 40. You can refine Di-Hydrogen into the jelly for 30, but doing it that way only gave 1 per minute. Too slow to be all that useful.

Eh, it was kind of a hassle. Since it was so easy, I felt obligated to do this, but now I guess I just buy the stuff from pirates, like Atlas intended.

Fake edit:

This made me look up sources of Di-Hydrogen. I did not know that you could burn Tritium down into Di-Hydrogen! That's helpful to know.

I guess between buying jellies, the real stuff and Tritium, rich people like me should be set. :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody has been out of the game for a long time, or just wanting to get into it, the first stage at least of the new expedition is basically speed-running a basic tutorial.

e: with the exception of only being able to craft inside your own base, apparently.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 22, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Expedition wasn't quite what I expected. There was some underlying plot but what I took to be a mid-expedition stakes raise was apparently meant to be "the twist at the end", unless they continue it in a later one

anyways speeder looks cool and unlike the last funky-ship expedition it's the final reward so you can go and redeem it on other saves

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
played on PSVR2 for a bit last night, it's quite mixed tbh. On the downside, terrain rendering when flying about is pretty ugly with a lot of nasty pop in of terrain geometry and also plants and buildings and whatnot, spotting buildings before you fly over them is almost impossible. The galaxy map UI is still the most bafflingly heinous and awful interface that has ever been designed by a human being. It's just staggeringly bad. There's also a few issues with stuff like flight controls being really far away from where you 'sit' making things uncomfortable. Tons of general bugs and glitches. VR controls are ok, but at least on PSVR you can't jetpack and change direction at the same time.

On the upside, walking around on foot is cool as heck and actually looks pretty good, and you're playing NMS in VR, which is pretty rad.

I spent most of my time chilling at the top of a mountain instagibbing birds out of the sky with my super-charged mining beam.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's still definitely a pancake game with VR features placed on top, but it doesn't feel like much of a chore to play NMS in VR anymore at least.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, the Speeder is nimble.

E: Sometimes this game is impressive in new ways

https://i.imgur.com/ln7BzEO.mp4

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 23, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Expedition wasn't quite what I expected. There was some underlying plot but what I took to be a mid-expedition stakes raise was apparently meant to be "the twist at the end", unless they continue it in a later one

anyways speeder looks cool and unlike the last funky-ship expedition it's the final reward so you can go and redeem it on other saves

How long did the expedition take you? I generally haven't been a fan of them, I'm too lazy to start anew in this game, but the rewards on this one are pretty good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i was hoping the VR experience would be a bit more optimized with the update but it seems all the improvements are design changes and it still runs just as bad as ever

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StarkRavingMad posted:

How long did the expedition take you? I generally haven't been a fan of them, I'm too lazy to start anew in this game, but the rewards on this one are pretty good.

Because of the conceit this one's pretty quick. Go build bases on five planets in the same system (with a few hoops between each step).

You can only craft stuff while in a base, so make plenty of launch fuel when the opportunity comes up. That can be a long slog.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bruceski posted:

Because of the conceit this one's pretty quick. Go build bases on five planets in the same system (with a few hoops between each step).

You can only craft stuff while in a base, so make plenty of launch fuel when the opportunity comes up. That can be a long slog.

Ok, that doesn't sound TOO bad. I'll probably do it at some point.

Or do like I've done with most other expeditions and do half of it, and then cheat engine myself the rewards

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I finished phase one in less than an hour. This seems like a much faster expedition than the set last December.

It also lasts 6 weeks, which seems generous for the difficulty level

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's pretty much the same old stuff, I'm just playing it for the cool helmet.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just saw there's Twitch drops again starting today.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Has anyone else been experiencing crashes with this update?

I play it, admittedly, in an unorthodox way. I use Proton to run it under Linux and I like to switch between using keyboard/mouse for movement outside of vehicles and using a controller for vehicle movement. Have never had an issue before, but now when I try to switch between using the keyboard/mouse to controiller the game crashes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CaptainSkinny posted:

I just saw there's Twitch drops again starting today.

Does that save editor program still work? I don't wanna idle twitch tabs for hours again. But I will.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

It took me...2-3 hours, maybe? but I also build glitch cheesed some of it in lieu of running around farming the copper you need for all the chromatic metal-- since the conceit is "you can't build in your inventory outside of a base", they made base computers cost 200 chromatic + 500 pure ferrite, and you necessarily have to build 5 of them total, so after the first freebie you have to collect and refine at least 1600 copper and 2000 ferrite dust by hand.

(Honestly probably not terrible per se but I never planned ahead so I kept on being short landing on a new planet and everyone's starter hauler is slow as poo poo, so gently caress flying back)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The expedition took me about 4 hours playing leisurely. Overall it's fairly simple but you'll have to collect a lot of copper and pure ferrite for base computers if you can't find one near the marker. I only found one in the wild on the second planet.

Couple of the planets are mountainous which was probably the most painful parts of the whole thing. The Speeder ship is awesome so it's definitely worth doing, especially for anyone new to the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stare-Out posted:

The expedition took me about 4 hours playing leisurely.

Pretty glad to read this bc I crapped out of the last two due to boredom and having a family and stuff. NMS is a 'just before bed' game for me.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

confused posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing crashes with this update?

I play it, admittedly, in an unorthodox way. I use Proton to run it under Linux and I like to switch between using keyboard/mouse for movement outside of vehicles and using a controller for vehicle movement. Have never had an issue before, but now when I try to switch between using the keyboard/mouse to controiller the game crashes.

Game completely froze on me 3 times without crashing, so I couldn't send an auto report. Once I got sick in the found because a mountain popped in around me as I defended from space. It's really buggy right now, but they tend to fix these in about a week or two.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I just had a 2GB patch go out on the Experimental build. Patch notes says it fixed a crash, but dunno if it's the same issue or an unrelated one.

Took me about 3 hours to do the expedition. Mountain planet was the worst one, especially if your camp doesn't end up being close to any of the items you have to collect for the recipe one, but overall not too bad.

I'll also say again that I hate Aggressive Sentinel planets, and forcing you to do them is awful. I am perfectly fine never having combat in my normal save ever again.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Teleporters are cheap to make. Hook up a biofuel reactor to them so you just throw some carbon in when you need it. Then whenever you need copper, teleport back to your first base on the nice planet and mine it there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'd been putting off the settlement stuff because there's nothing I hate more than suddenly being informed that I need to stop playing the game like I want to and go do some boring defense crap (hi Fallout 4 and San Andreas!) but it's not anywhere near as bad as I expected! Plus my Minotaur is even more badass now so I'm glad I finally did it.

Shame that a few of my settlers are stuck underground but that's No Man's Sky for you. We need an appropriate smilie, something along the lines of :dice: but glitchier.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

There's definitely an issue with NPC placement in his latest update.

E: Day 5 of Twitch drops will have the worm companion as a reward. I never did that expedition, so now is my chance.

CaptainSkinny fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played some of this a while ago, and was having a decently good time. Got myself one of those big walking robots to stomp around on a planet with and then one of the in-game descriptions for it mentioned it helping me mine resource, which I thought sounded very cool.

Could not for the life of me figure out how to make it do it so I googled it and turns out that it's not in fact a feature that exists, despite the game itself clearly stating it.
That's when I stopped playing.

Did they finish implementing the features that are mentioned in the game itself yet? I'm not gonna go all "before launch they promised this and this" but it's in the description of the thing in the game right now.