Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dung Eater is aggressive as gently caress but also quite resilient, and he likes to shoot those Omen homing missile things and apply his AoE debuff scream. He's basically always doing something to annoy everyone around him, so yeah, he makes a great tank

Also by comparison Mimic Tear's AI was neutered to make it less able to solo the game at no risk to you and Tiche does the usual Black Knife dancing around. I wouldn't expect either to be an ideal tank. Though there is the possible trick of giving the Mimic the aggro talisman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I hate it when I do an action in neutral and ny opponent input reads by responding to it

Yea me too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I remember finding the Caelid tower godskin and getting beat down by him for awhile before I left.

Came back 20 hours later though and whooped his rear end

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I didn’t realize that Dragonbarrow was scaled differently than the rest of Caelid. I fought the Tower Godskin Disciple and the tree Avatar up in Dragonbarrow after I beat Radahn and they both messed me up for hours.

BigDumper fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 22, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Reactions within .01 seconds with attacks that cross distance and punish faster than the flask animation are lame, anything else is fair.

Punishing panic flasks is funny and fair too. It's a fine line and the line is how upset I personally get to that specific death.

MasterBuilder posted:

Especially because everyone and their mom goes to whack at the ancient dragons tail until it dies. I would be amazed if the % of people that have beat that "legit" is over 25%

Eh it's just fighting 4-6 incredibly slow and predictable neutered dragons one by one that can't fly or even move fast and only do head/stomp/wing/tail swings. The most dangerous thing that can happen is not realizing the level scaling jumped by 60 and you have a damage taken debuff. Impossible to lose as a greatshield build outside of your own greed. Maybe if you really aren't paying attention and fight 2+ in front of her at the same time

Grey should do fire breaths and tail/wing swipes after a few dead kids to surprise everybody once.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 22, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

I hate it when I do an action in neutral and ny opponent input reads by responding to it

Elden ring and souls games enemies are a little too robotic about it and their animations, and it kind of breaks my immersion or whatever. I don't mind it from a gameplay perspective, but it throws off my enjoyment of the game in the way its presented. Maybe if godskin apostle had more than one animation to throw fireballs and swapped between them.

Fake edit: I suppose that would negatively affect the core concept of the game which is memorizing boss moves to defeat them. So oh well

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I seem to remember someone in this very thread testing that Godskin guy's AI by timing various inputs against him, eventually determining that he essentially starts casting a fireball with a negligible to nonexistent delay against flasking under most circumstances (i.e. when you're beyond easy melee punish distance but not so far that he can't hit you at all), but for some reason just completely fails to react if you flask by queueing the input right at the end of a dodge roll. It was pretty interesting (but apparently not interesting enough for me to remember it in more detail :v:)

I just remember feeling vindicated by the poster's conclusion, which is that the Caelid Godskin literally does input read - which wouldn't normally be an issue since a lot of game AIs do that, but they usually have a slight delay to account for the fact that the game is being played by humans. The Godskin Flask Cop allegedly does not have this delay because he is simply an rear end in a top hat.

Wish I could find that post. Am I going insane, or does anyone else remember that?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zullie the Witch did an investigation into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbuGGnntRA

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I think there's a pretty clear distinction to be made between a general heal punishing response and straight up input-reading reactions that happen before you've even fully pulled out the flask.

My personal kryptonite are the dodgy enemies that leap 10 feet straight backwards on the first frames of my attack swing. Comes with the territory of using big slow weapons, but it's very obvious they're responding to the button push and not the actual attack hitboxes.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm replaying the game for the nth time and finally realized the actual joke behind the "you don't have the right" memes. I thought it was just something one of the finger crones tells you, saying you're not allowed to take the Grand Lift of Dectus because you're missing a medallion piece.

The joke is that you literally have the left half of the medallion that most people find fairly early in Fort Haight. The right half doesn't show up until much later, in an area that is high enough level to scare most people off.

Now explain Stone Astrolabe

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dyz posted:

Now explain Stone Astrolabe

A giant so loved his large bowl that he split it in two so that he'd have twice as many bowls to love, but upon doing so it could no longer function as a bowl and instead of twice as many bowls to love, he had zero. The monuments are spread around the Lands Between as a sobering reminder of this important lesson.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

A giant so loved his large bowl that he split it in two so that he'd have twice as many bowls to love, but upon doing so it could no longer function as a bowl and instead of twice as many bowls to love, he had zero. The monuments are spread around the Lands Between as a sobering reminder of this important lesson.

And that giant's name... father ariandel

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Doomykins posted:

Eh it's just fighting 4-6 incredibly slow and predictable neutered dragons one by one that can't fly or even move fast and only do head/stomp/wing/tail swings. The most dangerous thing that can happen is not realizing the level scaling jumped by 60 and you have a damage taken debuff. Impossible to lose as a greatshield build outside of your own greed. Maybe if you really aren't paying attention and fight 2+ in front of her at the same time

Grey should do fire breaths and tail/wing swipes after a few dead kids to surprise everybody once.

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was difficult to fight the small dragons more so that once it got out that you can spend 10 minutes slowly bleeding a dragon to death it became an early game location for new characters to get levels.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

True. I did Grey legit once and new char bled out about ten times, hahahaha.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epic High Five posted:

The starlight shard collectors/satellite dishes are not stone astrolabe.

Stone astrolabe is the big moon thing on the ceiling near Radagon Icon. There’s another one in the foyer of Carian Study Hall.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for some kind of Elden Ring completionist app, but I haven't found any.

Are there any apps or online resources where you can pop your savegame file into it and it will tell you what bosses you have and haven't killed, what items you do and don't have, places you have and haven't visited or cleared, etc?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You're out of luck for finnicky bits like individual item sparkles especially in the open world but graces tend to account for almost every boss. You can set 100 markers on your map so I put skulls on "to do" and swords on "done." Pair with a comprehensive NPC quest guide and a list of Night Cav/Deathbird/Dragon spawn locations and you can about lock down 100% of the game.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mapgenie does everything except automatically update for you, I'm not sure any tool exists that scrapes your data as you go (yet?)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doomykins posted:

You're out of luck for finnicky bits like individual item sparkles especially in the open world but graces tend to account for almost every boss. You can set 100 markers on your map so I put skulls on "to do" and swords on "done." Pair with a comprehensive NPC quest guide and a list of Night Cav/Deathbird/Dragon spawn locations and you can about lock down 100% of the game.

Roundtable also has various additional checklists and a map, though unfortunately it seems like only certain things cleanly carry over between pages. Sometimes you can mark a given quest step, dungeon, item, and/or boss and get credit tracked across all appropriate lists, other times not so much.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not sure that will work for a savegame file I have that's over 100 hours long and hasn't been touched since like a couple months after the game came out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
FWIW, I'm right there with you and I'm still actively playing the game. At least with most points of interest you can reasonably assume you've cleared them completely if you have them on the map and a lot of the notable items in the game can be cross-referenced. But have you actually found every ruin basement? Have you actually killed every field boss? Welp, good luck tracking all of that poo poo down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's some 100% completion checklists you could go over while tabbing through your inventory and search for where something you don't have is. There's no easy way to get a list of bosses you've killed, but the loot they drop either is or isn't in your inventory or box so can be made to serve the same purpose.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Admittedly part of the problem for me is that the Steam overlay does not get along with the game and/or the anti-cheat layer so tabbing back and forth to a checklist is a quick way to induce a freeze. Or just crash the Steam overlay, which continues to be a huge piece of poo poo. I should probably just try alt-tabbing to a proper browser window, I'm just always paranoid of games handling that even more poorly...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Admittedly part of the problem for me is that the Steam overlay does not get along with the game and/or the anti-cheat layer so tabbing back and forth to a checklist is a quick way to induce a freeze. Or just crash the Steam overlay, which continues to be a huge piece of poo poo. I should probably just try alt-tabbing to a proper browser window, I'm just always paranoid of games handling that even more poorly...

I always keep it disabled, more out of habit than anything because I've never had an overlay I didn't think was more pain than it was worth. I've never had problems with Elden Ring just going into my inventory so I can move my cursor over to the 2nd monitor but I'm never surprised to hear doing so causes problems because so many games freak out if you try it. It doesn't minimize or anything for me, just keeps showing there so I have a screencap of reference. I did this recently to figure out which talismen I'm missing.

I do remember hearing about a site you can upload your save file to and it'll tell you how many times you've died, no clue if they've expanded the service. Death is something I use for travel utility or just to remove annoying rune pile icons from my HUD so it's probably astronomical even accounting for me being impatient and thoroughly mediocre.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Unfortunately I don't have a second monitor to make it nice and simple, I either have to flip back and forth or use my tablet I guess. I'm probably just being dumb and paranoid tho. DS3 acted a little weird on an alt-tab but nothing disastrous.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

John Murdoch posted:

Unfortunately I don't have a second monitor to make it nice and simple, I either have to flip back and forth or use my tablet I guess. I'm probably just being dumb and paranoid tho. DS3 acted a little weird on an alt-tab but nothing disastrous.

No it makes sense to want to avoid it. Seems like a dice roll as to whether any given game will break if you alt tab out of it.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Angry Diplomat posted:

I seem to remember someone in this very thread testing that Godskin guy's AI by timing various inputs against him, eventually determining that he essentially starts casting a fireball with a negligible to nonexistent delay against flasking under most circumstances (i.e. when you're beyond easy melee punish distance but not so far that he can't hit you at all), but for some reason just completely fails to react if you flask by queueing the input right at the end of a dodge roll. It was pretty interesting (but apparently not interesting enough for me to remember it in more detail :v:)

I just remember feeling vindicated by the poster's conclusion, which is that the Caelid Godskin literally does input read - which wouldn't normally be an issue since a lot of game AIs do that, but they usually have a slight delay to account for the fact that the game is being played by humans. The Godskin Flask Cop allegedly does not have this delay because he is simply an rear end in a top hat.

Wish I could find that post. Am I going insane, or does anyone else remember that?

idk anything about that post but you can definitely bait a godskin get almost to the end of an attack animation, pop a flask while they're still recovering, then they start the counterattack fireball too late. You have significant time to run around it and punish

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Decided to pick up straight swords for this faith casting playthrough because I don't want to be tempted to just default to melee like I always do while still having the option in a pinch, but man straight swords are really good. Maybe I should've done whips or flails but I'd prefer "average" to "aggressively bad"

Not cool tho, is farming the slender sword. Not hide nor hair of it so far but I've got two Noble's Estocs which are even rarer, both gotten on the same run even lmao.

I'll get it tho, I can tolerate anything in a weapon but a high dex requirement or short length, and it's the longest in the class with pretty good flame art/sacred scaling

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm doing my first full fresh playthrough since launch. What big stuff has changed? I know some of the OP launch arts were nerfed like the ice stomp.

Thinking about doing a pretty straightforward big axe smasher build.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Greataxes got quite a few buffs, duo boss fights made easier (too easy imho), almost all armor got a poise buff, Radahn got a big nerf too if you fought him in his release form it'll be a surprise, pretty much all spells have had their damage boosted and costs lowered at least once

Still plenty of OP stuff floating around if you feel the need.

edit - oh yeah and light load got a big buff, which is nice if you're going naked but has made Gideon a much more annoying fight if you don't get him on the first go

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 23, 2023

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Around 75% of the stuff that sucked on release is good now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Volcano Manor take: Gideon should always be a real fight and should use a special surprise spell if he's hit during his monologue. And special dialogue. You get one hit and he calls you a maidenless dick! Boom, full room rot breath!

I don't mind his current status as a meme check first try though. Just think it'd be nice to give him a little more gravitas.. in gameplay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I beat Elden Ring with a Colossus Hammer on release just so that I could say that Radahn ain't poo poo and is overrated compared to the tragic and misguided perspective of Morgott.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I fought Gideon fair and square the first time through and it was great. Felt good to murder that traitorous dick of a lovely dad after letting him have his dumb monologue. Nobody cares loser, see you in hell

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally got my Noble's Slender Sword, and it rules. Highly recommend the graveyard south of Caelid southern highway for this, all of them carry it there and one even has a very special surprise for the unobservant!

Grease Balloon
Oct 27, 2005
I'm thinking about doing a tanky muscle wizard for my next runthrough. Fashion is my top priority of course. Which shield and armor looks cool with the royal greatsword?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Angry Diplomat posted:

I fought Gideon fair and square the first time through and it was great. Felt good to murder that traitorous dick of a lovely dad after letting him have his dumb monologue. Nobody cares loser, see you in hell

His glintstone comets always hit me a lot harder than I expect

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grease Balloon posted:

I'm thinking about doing a tanky muscle wizard for my next runthrough. Fashion is my top priority of course. Which shield and armor looks cool with the royal greatsword?

I think the Haima set would be most thematic, with a Carian Knight Shield, Silver Mirrorshield, or one of the kite shields with a design you like maybe. The curved great club gets great scaling with int infusions I think as well.

If we're talking serious muscle here, maybe the Eclipse Crest Greatshield

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grease Balloon posted:

Carian Knight set, available as early as Raya Lucaria Academy. Then grab the shield from the jerk before Rennala's room.

If you wanna fully commit to the bit then you can get the Carian Knight sword from the caravan in Liurnia, or learn the Carian Grandeur ash of war in Caria Manor. Smite bosses in one shot with your charged up magical sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grease Balloon
Oct 27, 2005
Nice! I'll give those a try. Thanks!