Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

So glad I never pursued a copy of Capture lol.

Also that frame break lotus is so cool. It's probably gonna be absurdly expensive tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Framboise posted:

So glad I never pursued a copy of Capture lol.

Also that frame break lotus is so cool. It's probably gonna be absurdly expensive tho

No more expensive than any other proxy!

E:

URL is working again: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/commander-masters-arrives-august-4-2023

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 21, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The gently caress is the difference between this and Commander Legends?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

The gently caress is the difference between this and Commander Legends?

Probably isn't one. I was going to say "this is all reprints like all other masters sets", but:

quote:

As a Masters set, Commander Masters is comprised of both reprints as well as new, powerful cards. You'll find four preconstructed decks that each feature ten new Magic cards, including brand-new commanders, as well as Set Boosters, Draft Boosters, and Collector Boosters. Round out your collection, engage in some friendly competition with your playgroup, or both! There's something here for everyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe they said the set itself is reprint only but the Precons will have new cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The new cards are only in the precons and the set itself is 100% reprints. Maybe we'll get the Fierce Guardianship cycle and Dockside and poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is that Commodore Guff on the Planeswalker deck? Might get that one with the Sliver one then.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Whatever it is, I already wish listed it so I can preorder at best price. I think that's the only way I'll ever get to buy a box.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

Whatever it is, I already wish listed it so I can preorder at best price. I think that's the only way I'll ever get to buy a box.

Same.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
WBR is an interesting color combination for a planeswalker deck. Maybe we'll see an actually good version of Serra this time? Hopefully it's not just six versions apiece of Jace, Gideon and Chandra (although that would be funny as hell).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I guess I might as well hold off on Myrkul until we see what this abzan enchantment precon is.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Amazon for the briefest time had the COM draft boxes set at $312 before I ended up doing a page refresh and the price went away and went back to unavailable.

Get while the gettin is good I guess

Collector booster "box" doing the thing again of only having 4 packs each.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 21, 2023

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The commander decks are up for 68 each, honestly they're not that interesting to me but I'm sure there will be chase cards aplenty in em.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

Amazon for the briefest time had the COM draft boxes set at $312 before I ended up doing a page refresh and the price went away and went back to unavailable.

Get while the gettin is good I guess

Collector booster "box" doing the thing again of only having 4 packs each.

Miss me with that poo poo. I suckered myself into getting the 2X2 collector box and my pulls were hot garb.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got good or bad things to say about Jan Jansen or Ghen, Arcanum Weaver as commanders? Mardu doesn't normally interest me, but I love moving bullshit between zones a lot.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone got good or bad things to say about Jan Jansen or Ghen, Arcanum Weaver as commanders? Mardu doesn't normally interest me, but I love moving bullshit between zones a lot.

If you're looking to combo Jan Jansen has a good bunch of lines with sword of the meek and other stuff. Ghen seems to be more of a value engine type than combo. Whichever one interests you more.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Here's another ...dumb question: If you do double sleeve your decks, do you double sleeve everything?
Meaning like, even random basics or relatively worthless cards? I ask because I saw a random yt video where someone comments "THIS DOESNT NEED TO BE DOUBLE SLEEVED!" And I had never considered some mixed medley of sleeving.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Here's another ...dumb question: If you do double sleeve your decks, do you double sleeve everything?
Meaning like, even random basics or relatively worthless cards? I ask because I saw a random yt video where someone comments "THIS DOESNT NEED TO BE DOUBLE SLEEVED!" And I had never considered some mixed medley of sleeving.

Most people would consider that marking your deck. Double sleeving makes them noticeably thicker.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

AlternateNu posted:

Most people would consider that marking your deck. Double sleeving makes them noticeably thicker.

I may use perfect sealables for foil cards (to slow down pringling) and have normal cards in normal inner sleeves. Compared to 100% sealable the mixed deck is slightly smaller and if someone is able to pick out a card is more likely due to the ever present curl on foils Humidity is at 27 at the moment and pulling all the foils in a deck to put them in a baggie with a moisture pack isn't happening.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There being four commander precons for the LotR matches up with the product information accidentally put live on Ultrapro's site last month. The four face commanders are Frodo, Eowyn, Galadriel and Sauron.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very curious about the art direction since the Starter Kit box with Frodo on it has him looking almost anime. Art on the boxes looked more default-magic style.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There being four commander precons for the LotR matches up with the product information accidentally put live on Ultrapro's site last month. The four face commanders are Frodo, Eowyn, Galadriel and Sauron.

Boooooo that's some basic rear end poo poo.

Where's Thorin, Gil-Galad, Celebrimbor, Morgoth, Beren, and or Luthien, King Elros, Anatar, Faenor, Glorfindel, the King of Angmar before and after becoming corrupted. poo poo even that Took tall enough to ride a normal pony and beheaded a Goblin King.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jiro posted:

Boooooo that's some basic rear end poo poo.

Where's Thorin, Gil-Galad, Celebrimbor, Morgoth, Beren, and or Luthien, King Elros, Anatar, Faenor, Glorfindel, the King of Angmar before and after becoming corrupted. poo poo even that Took tall enough to ride a normal pony and beheaded a Goblin King.

There's a whole set to go with these decks

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The LotR LCG player in me is very upset about the future purchase of...all of the decks.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Story time!

So I wanted to try out a new place to do commander tonight. it's not that far, but the store is aimed at board games and not really magic from what I tell. still, a five minute drive is a five minute drive so I'd like it if this place is good.

I show up, first thing is there's a $5 cover. ok, sure, it lowers the chances I'll come back but no biggie for a first time to check it out. second thing, I'm about forty minutes early because I assumed I'd check out their stuff, maybe get some sleeves... and they have nothing relevant.

Alright, fine, I've got a phone. third thing, it's now ten minutes until their listed start time and *nobody's here*. I'm increasingly concerned.

Five minutes before start, and a couple people show. They're brothers, and perhaps one of them is older than ten but I'm not sure. Their mom drops them off, pays the cover, then leaves.

A fourth person shows up at exactly the start time, he seems like a reasonable dude and everyone starts shuffling. Right as we're about to get going, two more people come in late so we split to threes... with me partnered up with both kids. poo poo. Somehow, though, it seems like this will actually be fine, the boys have upgraded precons that look to be trying to do cool things and are comfortable with the basics of the game. Even better, I'm running mono-white jank that shouldn't be better than upgraded precons. I should be able to stick around for a while to let things play out, but it's not likely for me to actually win since I'm on Celestine without any real way to put things in my bin. There's no power combos here, if you die you're gonna know why so these boys should be able to respond to what I'm doing.

Organizer dude passes out the freebie promo card. It's the alt art serra angel! Things are looking up.

Both of the minors miss their land drops turn three. poo poo. One of them misses turn four as well, and only pulls a rock on five. Double poo poo. I intervene to cheat step a land to the top of his library, it's the best I can do. Unfortunately, the little brother's deck is a mill deck so suddenly my deck's recursion subtheme has gotten powered waaay up... plus I dropped Eye of Vecna turn 2. I have tons of mana and consistent draw: God has conspired such that I can't not crush these kids. I manage to at least drag it out for both of them to do *something* with their decks, and I also get to demonstrate a cool alt wincon via Angel of Destiny which they seem pretty excited about. I do this, mind you, while having all three of my board wipes in hand plus a couple mass protection spells because apparently it wasn't enough that these boys had a <5% chance to dig something out against my board, I needed to have all the possible answers to whatever they'd try too. In the meantime, the other table finishes and a couple extra people finally showed up; I manage to persuade everyone to switch around a bit.

Game two. It's the younger kid first (still playing mill, with the "horrors matter" precon), then me still on Celestine, then a black/red/green lands deck (I think it's the dude that draws when a land hits the graveyard), and a neat izzit spellslinger idea (play with the top revealed and cast stuff from there). Turn three, the lands guy destroys the arcane signet from the kid because the kid missed his land drop. I'm appalled. Izzet guy is color-locked to one red, the kid manages to hit rock/rock/rock to ramp out, and my stupid loving mono-white deck hits eye of vecna on two *again* so I'm somehow the highest land count on the table.

Not a single person other than me has cast interaction of any type. The izzet player tried, but forgot he hadn't played the "sorceries are actually instants now" card yet and had to pull it back.

Time out for the random draw on promo packs. They give out three, I get one and the rest go to the other table. I pull an alt-art Ossification... playable, don't have it yet, we're already ahead of the game from the serra angel so this is gravy. Next is... Mirran Safehouse? Wait, that's actually a decent card *plus* it's the foil worth a couple bucks. I've got sleeves, better get them o- hold on, there's a third card? I always thought these were two. It's... loving promo Jin-Gataxis?!? Great, now not only am I wrecking minors (despite my best efforts) I'm also cracking insane packs in front of them.

Back to the game, which somehow hasn't turned out abysmal despite the lands guy being the biggest rear end in a top hat on the planet. It helps when karma intervenes, because he went five turns without drawing a land or a ramp after nuking the kids' first rock for no reason. Plus, his second land was bajuka bog on empty graveyards, and his third land was glacial chasm. He's somehow been locked at five mana despite having three mana dorks, and good loving riddance. Izzet guy goes from being color-locked to mana-locked, he needs six mana and just can't get there - he's had to discard to hand once or twice. The kid gets his commander out and does cool things like milling everyone for 15 cards and hitting me for 20... which steals my Cavalier of Dawn from the bin to murders the landfall guy's draw artifact, right before the kid slams all his poo poo into the rear end in a top hat's planeswalker. Sweet, sweet karma. I'm drawing off of the Eye, hitting my lands, dropping angels and a Sword of Light and Shadow - you know, fair magic.

Turns out we can't continue to be stuck at doing nothing, because the kid gets out this horror with power and toughness equal to all cards in all graveyards... which is 50+ at this point, with menace from the commander. I have a Skyfall Apparition in hand and I know this landfall jackass doesn't have a single card to influence anything, while izzit dude has somehow played five creatures in a deck that can't possibly have more than 10. At this stage I don't have two blockers, and Big Boi Horror will easily one-shot me. Decision time! Do I a) exile Big Boi, or b) exile the rear end in a top hat's Gitrog? I'm ashamed to say that I chicken out and don't trust this seven-year-old to understand I'm on his side in this. I just have to hope that I pull something else out after surviving this turn cycle.

Lands guy gets a few more engine pieces online, and can now play four lands per turn while revealing and potentially playing off the top of his deck... but, against all odds, immediately stalls out after playing those lands. Izzet player finally manages to get to where he can see and play off the top as well... it's a "steal a creature for one turn" spell. Which he immediately uses on the kid's turn to do a sneaky trade, which sounds worse than it is because otherwise izzet guy was going to get about thirty cards sent to the bin. My turn again, and all I want is something to gank this Gitrog like I probably should have done in the first place and send the rear end in a top hat to the shadow realm.

It's True Conviction. With six flyers on the board. gently caress me. I ask for life totals, and I'm THREE LIFE SHORT to kill rear end in a top hat dude. poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo. I decide to bring him down most of the way, and chip the rest off of izzet dude and send a token effort at the kid. I now have 60 life, rear end in a top hat and izzet are both around 15, and the kid is a comfortable 25. The problem now is that either lands dude is gonna win, or I'm gonna win, because izzet's still locked at seven mana with nothing but ground durdlers on the field and the kid's hellbent and would need a perfect pull from an opponent's yard on his next turn, which with these decks probably doesn't exist.

Lands guy is up. He begins his bullshit cycle engine, saccing lands to draw and having five land plays available. He does poo poo, and does poo poo, and does poo poo... I say "I don't really have any interaction not on board, I'm gonna go to the bathroom. Let me know if I'm dying". Come back, he's only played one land so far. Lands two, three and four come out as he continues to churn. He finally turns the next card, then smiles and excitedly says "There it is!"; I fear that karma has abandoned me. It's Ramunap Excavator. Lands guy confidently says "and I play glacial chasm". I look at him, look down at his three remaining untapped/unsacced lands on the field, then look down at my four untapped lands. I point and say "you know I have Tectonic Edge, right?". Lands guy: "I have less than four lands now!". Me: "Any opponent." Lands guy blinks. Lands guy tilts his head to read the card. Lands guy: "well that's dumb". Me, just to rub it in: "it's a card printed for multiplayer formats." Lands guy: "Well, I guess if I'm out of it everyone is", then he plays Blasphemous Act to end his turn. I'm a stupid mono-white deck. I sacrifice Selfless Spirit in response. The kid and Izzet guy lose everything from an already losing position. Izzet guy draws a card then scoops; I Tectonic that loving chasm in response. The kid, to his credit, draws his card and plays it. I untap with something like 50 double-strike power, and win by consensus. Two games in, two wins in, and I never even bothered to cast my commander in either one.

Game three. We've got about half an hour left so it's turbo time. No switching tables, it's the same group. Lands guy switches decks to some other black/green thing, izzet guy takes out something I've already forgotten, the kid has an elves precon, and I'm running it back because my only other option is another mono-white deck that would need me to switch 20-ish cards over. Turn one, everyone drops lands. Turn two, same. Turn three, a couple rocks and mana dorks. Turn four, a couple larger dorks but nobody swings. Turn five: rear end in a top hat lands guy plays Buried Alive and wins on the spot. The fucker powered up to beat a child and the moron running mono-white"I-win-on-turn-15".

I have no idea if there's a moral here. On a night that I just couldn't stop being lucky, all I wanted was to let someone else win... and at the very end the villain got his piece in anyway. My $5 investment has, on paper, more than tripled but I'd much rather have paid nothing and got nothing. As I drove home I realized that I should have just given the kid the Jin-Gataxis but, to my regret, I just didn't think about it until it was too late. I'm just not that good at that sort of thing despite my best efforts - if he'd been 12 or even 10 I'd be better able to interact and support what he was doing, but for me 7 is simply too young for me to really interface with as a person y'know? While I was more than willing to play suboptimally it's also not in me to outright throw when it's obvious that's what's going on - even if you're seven I'm going to respect you enough not to throw out a pity win. I hope that he managed to have a good time playing his big creatures and throwing tons of cards to the yards, even if it never got there. I hope that he doesn't feel bad about me because I honestly tried to give him a good time. I hope that izzet guy understands that the lands guy is one of the biggest assholes I've had the misfortune to encounter and stops playing with him. Mostly, I just needed to type this out because I feel like something happened that mattered somehow, but gently caress if I can figure out what.

I don't think I'm going back.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 22, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Oh, and the weirdest part of it all is that after the last game when we're all packing up, the rear end in a top hat lands guy genuinely complimented my deck. He thought it was a cool idea to build a deck around "being a D&D cleric". I am still unsure how to feel about that part of the experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is 5 bucks uncommon of there's any kind of prizes or promos given out? I haven't played commander at my LGS since there's other playgroups around elsewhere I go to but pretty sure there's 5 bucks or so charge, and some kind of prize not sure.

Since it's commander you could've outright agreed to team up against the try hard, but yeah it's weird talking to kids. It's always more satisfying to win against the person trying inappropriately hard, but by nature of it harder to pull off. By end of the story I was hoping for the final win, but irl turds often win.

Don't think giving the gitaxis makes sense to me, siblings getting to play Magic outside the house without parents idk, in their shoes think I'd have a pretty good time win or lose and honestly probably wouldn't expect to win against adults at that age.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The other place close to me has no cover and between 3x and 4x the number of people. It's also a lot more MtG focused overall, they have a decent singles selection and not just "you can preorder here and we have boxes behind the counter". I think they do just fine from the increase in business on commander days. I have no idea about the rest of the city.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The store closest to me charges a $5 cover for open play, while every other store in the Madison area I've been to has free open play and gives out prizes. It's also more focused on board games and miniature games, so they don't sell singles. Needless to say, I rarely see anyone actually playing Magic there.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Infidel Castro posted:

The store closest to me charges a $5 cover for open play, while every other store in the Madison area I've been to has free open play and gives out prizes. It's also more focused on board games and miniature games, so they don't sell singles. Needless to say, I rarely see anyone actually playing Magic there.

I'm Board?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Infidel Castro posted:

I've only ever gone to Mox on the west side once, you talkin bout... Unicorn something or other?

Fake edit: lol, Madison MtG players coming out the woodwork

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

orangelex44 posted:

Five minutes before start, and a couple people show. They're brothers, and perhaps one of them is older than ten but I'm not sure. Their mom drops them off, pays the cover, then leaves.

if he'd been 12 or even 10 I'd be better able to interact and support what he was doing, but for me 7 is simply too young for me to really interface with as a person y'know?

I'm not an expert on kids but 7 seems waaaaaay too young to play magic at all, let alone being able to handle the dynamics of 4 player Commander. This feels like Mommy paying $10 for a few hours of babysitting.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've played against some kids at the LGS before, back when I played modern. I didn't hold back out of respect for their skills, and I didn't need to, they knew exactly what they were doing. Most of 'em were taught how to play by their dads, who were also playing those days.

Still needed some work with the social skills though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I played in a tournament way back in the day when I was around... 9 or 10, was super fun. My pops came to watch (read: keep an eye on me lol) but it was fun clowning on a few older folks in the game, then getting absolutely wrecked by others

I think that tournament was the thing that first enlightened me to infinite combos, somebody had some kind of ornithopter/goblin bombardment combo that blew my drat mind

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I played in a tournament way back in the day when I was around... 9 or 10, was super fun. My pops came to watch (read: keep an eye on me lol) but it was fun clowning on a few older folks in the game, then getting absolutely wrecked by others

I think that tournament was the thing that first enlightened me to infinite combos, somebody had some kind of ornithopter/goblin bombardment combo that blew my drat mind

Sword of the Meek + Thopter Foundry, maybe?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Sword of the Meek + Thopter Foundry, maybe?

Or Enduring Renewal, which is a fair bit older. I remember seeing that going around in my early years of Magic. I started right before Tempest so Aluren and Goblin Bombardment were some wild combo enablers.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Or Enduring Renewal, which is a fair bit older. I remember seeing that going around in my early years of Magic. I started right before Tempest so Aluren and Goblin Bombardment were some wild combo enablers.

Yeah, p sure it was Enduring Renewal, this would've been around like '97 or '98

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Awww that's freshman/sophmore year of high school for me. loving Enduring Renewal/thopter getting pinged to death.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My first tournament deck after Ice Age was Endueing Renewal+Thopter+Atog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Gynovore posted:

I'm not an expert on kids but 7 seems waaaaaay too young to play magic at all, let alone being able to handle the dynamics of 4 player Commander. This feels like Mommy paying $10 for a few hours of babysitting.
Both my kids started around 7 - but their early decks were pretty much just Turn Sideways jobs like Nikya with a bunch of Trampley Hasty fatties. They both knew enough from boardgames in general to know how to threaten and deal so they could get immunity in exchange for attacking others. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't leave them alone even if I trusted the store.