Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grip it and rip it posted:

We need someone who can moderate the mods and admins when they get in a tizzy, which seems to happen a lot lately

Forums Tribune of the Plebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I don't think the solution is yet more janitors who think they're police when the root of the problem is that we have a bunch of people with buttons that no longer post like human beings and we could probably fix a lot of everything if they just posted normal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in the case of some of the admins it would help if they posted at all. i dont think people like it when someone who never actually posts with them jumps in and starts going bonkers with banning. like its always weird when you have a subforum where the mod never posts except they suddenly come in and ban someone for "trolling" every month or so

qcs was not good but it did actually encourage the admins to talk with users and that doesn't happen now. remember "state of the forums" lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in the case of some of the admins it would help if they posted at all. i dont think people like it when someone who never actually posts with them jumps in and starts going bonkers with banning. like its always weird when you have a subforum where the mod never posts except they suddenly come in and ban someone for "trolling" every month or so

qcs was not good but it did actually encourage the admins to talk with users and that doesn't happen now. remember "state of the forums" lol

darkly loling at the contrast between "i want to grow the forums userbase" and month after month of heavy handed mod/admin overreaches and mass bans and long probes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This forum has gotten insanely petty and stupid over the past year or so for reasons i cant understand at all. Like a few shitposts in a gbs thread is the most banal possible thing but for some reason it led to the purging of one of the most active threads on the forum and like a dozen ban + 30s. This poo poo could be resolved by just going 'yeah that threads kinda spicy' and probing some of the weird war guys and then going 'but also dont go in there to stir poo poo' and giving some wristslap sixers

The administration on this site consistently goes out of its way to find minor pockets of drama and make them forumwide blowups for literally no discernible reason. It paints the picture of an administration that hates its users and hates the forums. Consistently, in any situation, its the people trying to make the admins do literally anything that get punished.

Like if you want to boil this situation down to Both Sides, and pretend all things are equal, like a bad south park episode. it was some unhinged politics posting versus some guys stirring up forums drama. The latter side was punished much more harshly than the former. Why? Cause they were the ones prodding the admins.

The administration of this site seems to consistently want this site to continue as its current exact status quo and only have people banned/probated for saying certain words or being obviously bigoted or trying to actively harm people or w/e.

Which, why not just admit that? You run the site. The admins have this insane combination of holding literally all the power yet constantly acting like theyre on the backfoot and unable to do anything. Its deeply pathetic.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The punitive grudge probes recently have been extremely lovely and any attempt to call out these lovely probes results in a probe for “posting about posters “ (in GBS, where that isn’t even a rule)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

My feedback is that mods and admins shouldn't constantly display the most blatant contempt for the communities they moderate, that's pretty much it. also all humans should have fun with their limited time in this earth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

9 times out of 10 when theres drama literally doing nothing would be better and lead to less problems than when the admins feel the need to step in. The admins constantly say 'if someones being weird make fun of them.' And then probe you for making fun of people.

And it isnt even consistent. Fluffdaddy stomped into the sagas thread to yell at people for making fun of the war thread but fyad could have a mockthread for those guys.

So heres my open question to fluffdaddy, jeffrey, whoever: what do you actually want.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

The punitive grudge probes recently have been extremely lovely and any attempt to call out these lovely probes results in a probe for “posting about posters “ (in GBS, where that isn’t even a rule)

Yeah not trying to turn this into another GBS thread referendum, but seriously Karma Comedian's exactly the kind of jumped up member of the cleaning staff I'm talking about. Look at his recent Leper's Colony entries. Read the posts he probed.

Feedback to one's own moderation actions is never, under any circumstances, "posting about posters." A lot of the idiot golems with stars next to their names seem to think it is though!

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Feb 22, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

also, I think if Jeff's vision for the site is to wall off subs so completely that posters have to primarily identify with one or else be pulverized, we should just split SA into separate hosted sites with no account sharing. otherwise rethink your administration policies that push everything towards the stupidest possible fiefdoms.

if the way you're going is really what you want, you could save yourself the stress of manually watching the walls by just eliminating cross sub interaction by design. be honest about what you want.

speng31b has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Feb 22, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"Thank you to everyone who posted feedback regarding PYF here. For the rest of you who couldn't wait for the feedback forum coming the third Tuesday of next month, we've decided to lock this thread until then to prevent interforums drama from infecting it further. Direct all questions, comments, and suggestions to the admin e-mail for the time being."

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
keeping it pyf related but relating to basically all of it:

best guess is that there's some mods on the forum/discord who spend an excessive amount of time popping off about the perfidious "'crew" lobbying continually for their annihilation and the admin response is some mix of being annoyed with being dragged into the drama and exhausted with the topic so shutting down the thread where some of the people they're mad about are or probing 160 people to appease them is easier than finding replacement mods

TheSwizzler has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Feb 22, 2023

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

9 times out of 10 when theres drama literally doing nothing would be better and lead to less problems than when the admins feel the need to step in. The admins constantly say 'if someones being weird make fun of them.' And then probe you for making fun of people.

And it isnt even consistent. Fluffdaddy stomped into the sagas thread to yell at people for making fun of the war thread but fyad could have a mockthread for those guys.

So heres my open question to fluffdaddy, jeffrey, whoever: what do you actually want.

Mostly, not to be made to do anything on the forums, and for nobody to make fun of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that that guy got probed for 'forums invasion' for going 'i think watching violent videos fucks up your mental health' is loving insane

edit: this is pyf related because they think the forum invasion is coming from pyf

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also apart from the big problem that it arguably makes the "emergency line for user-safety issues" inbox useless which is a major problem, using an inbox as a qcs replacement doesn't work because one of the first steps for fixing a problem isn't emailing a mod, it's often asking if anyone else agrees that it's a problem.

e) this is PYF related because i was told that posting about making the emergency inbox line useless was a ban+30, in the PYF feedback thread

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There needs to be a PYF thread to poke fun of things like multiple goons melting down over GPTChat being a sentient being, and there also needs to be a subforum where larger site-wide issues like moderation or problematic threads can be discussed, so that PYF (or other) mods don't have to deal with them. Both should be moderated. It's that easy.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Feb 22, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Endorph posted:

the fact that that guy got probed for 'forums invasion' for going 'i think watching violent videos fucks up your mental health' is loving insane

edit: this is pyf related because they think the forum invasion is coming from pyf

Well-written thoughtful post about what consuming too much violence does to you mentally in a thread about war = “moralistic pearl clutching”?

Get the gently caress outta here you dweeb.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Delete the GBS Ukraine thread and remove all the IKs from ever having power again.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
guess we've gotta rename 'gently caress you and die'

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't even know what the hold up could possibly be lol. the problem with qcs before was that nobody was moderating it. the actions of the last day or so says that apparently it's no problem finding an admin to cover moderating a given subforum. so just mod the website like you're supposed to do. what the hell is the hold up? it makes the people making fun of and saying that the actual problem is people were complaining about moderation and the real plan is to just kill anyone doing that and make them email an email that is absolutely not being read by anybody look like they're correct, and the longer it takes to click the open forum button the more right they look.

maybe i just have false memories now, but i swear some admin said the holdup is their coding together a forum where basically threads will be automatically locked after they're posted.

so there won't be any discussion, just like a record of the issues that have been raised, and any mod/admin replies to it.

right? didn't someone say that?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jeffrey, I know you aren't going to read this or care about it, but the fact that nobody has confidence that QCS 2.0 will be an effective feedback forum should alarm you a lot because it says just how little trust the people who pay you to post here have in your administration. That's a very, very bad thing for the health of the forums that you own.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I'd want a source on that just because it's incredibly stupid

RE the insta close nuCS

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
genuinely the most embarrassing site staff on earth lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
here is a list of qualities that should exclude anyone from having buttons:

-thin skinned
-liable to get drunk on power
-superiority complex
-inability to read
-heavily invested/inability to stay detached
-powerful body odour

Any single one of these is enough to be unsuitable imo. now please review everyone with buttons and ask yourself how many have multiple

this is relevant to pyf because these are my favourite reasons not to give someone power

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crespolini posted:

maybe i just have false memories now, but i swear some admin said the holdup is their coding together a forum where basically threads will be automatically locked after they're posted.

so there won't be any discussion, just like a record of the issues that have been raised, and any mod/admin replies to it.

right? didn't someone say that?

Lmao I hope this isn’t true. If it is, it’s really no different than the “admin email” shouting into the tempest approach you have going right now.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is pyf related because all of you dweebs read it and you loving suck rear end

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Violen posted:

genuinely the most embarrassing site staff on earth lol

Lotta parallels to Elon Musk's management of Twitter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
rename PYF to "Post, You Fucks!"

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd want a source on that just because it's incredibly stupid

RE the insta close nuCS

found what i was thinking of

Endorph posted:

at bare minimum if you really dont want QCS to devolve into multipage arguments, just make it so threads there autolock after being created. probe people for spamming threads in response to other threads, have a mod/admin respond in a day or two. its not a perfect solution or anything but itd be an alright stopgap/better than literally nothing.

Fluffdaddy posted:

This is pretty close to what we are thinking of implementing.

One of the biggest problems with QCS is that people would come with a serious concern, and then the same dumbasses would come and poo poo up the thread or attack the OP, or attack the mod (not the decision the mod made, but the mod themselves) and then inevitably someone would inject CSPAM vs D&D into the mix, then like I said in the last post, some insane person would admit to a sex crime, get permad, and then the thread would get closed.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
jeff you should use your dumbass forum quarantine button to lock yourself into t.e.c.h. where you belong

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Teatime posted:

Fair enough if you think this is cross forum poo poo stirring, but I think it’s relevant to PYF to point out that the IK who was supposed to be minding the shop in the sagas thread when it got out of hand holds certain opinions that may be related to why they didn’t exactly clamp down on people stirring themselves up to go charging at enemy posters resulting in the current time out. To be clear, some plague rats created that thread about the holodomor, I think it’s bad that it exists in Cspam but my point in bringing it up is that the op is the idiot king here.

:dafuq:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Just probe people for shitposting in QCS and have a mod that actually watches the forum closely. There. Problem solved.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Posting my favorite part of QCS:

when the insane person came into a thread that was resolved or winding down and admitted to a sex crime, it's an essential part of the QCS reading experience

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crespolini posted:

found what i was thinking of

Notice that active moderation of QCS was never considered as an alternative to every thread becoming a chaotic flamefest.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frank Frank posted:

Just probe people for shitposting in QCS and have a mod that actually watches the forum closely. There. Problem solved.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it was a problem if people legitimately felt worried about posting suggestions in QCS because they dont like getting flamed or whatever. i think its fine to have QCS be a more "serious" forum without shitposting but i think public discussion among users is an important thing that shouldn't be lost

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol, or just close qcs when it can't be actively attended. closing things can actually just be a temporary "we can't do this right now" and not a "im finished with this forever, it's past the breaking point", right? why does stuff always have to get to the point it's actively melting down into the ground water before trying literally any insanely basic countermeasure, idgi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All the feedback forum needs is an actual mod who cares and a clearly stated rule that flaming posters or being chaotic imbeciles is verboten. Maybe have a carveout for clearly insane requests like the old rule that mod sass would be punished unless it was really, really funny.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

here is a list of qualities that should exclude anyone from having buttons:

-thin skinned
-liable to get drunk on power
-superiority complex
-inability to read
-heavily invested/inability to stay detached
-powerful body odour

Any single one of these is enough to be unsuitable imo. now please review everyone with buttons and ask yourself how many have multiple

this is relevant to pyf because these are my favourite reasons not to give someone power

I agree, but some folk do bring out the insults, and unfortunately the r-slur, a bit quicker than I would prefer to try and get things done. I agree with the spirit of every message regarding the abysmal mod/admin behaviour, but we have some rude folks that can make this harder. I know I know, civility politics. I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Arivia posted:

Honestly I feel the most insecure and anxious about this site than I have in a long time. Probably worse than it was when Lowtax was obviously just making GBS threads the bed. Everything's just gone fuckin insane. This is PYF feedback, since PYF is a forum on SA and it's absurd to pretend posting in PYF is safe from this as opposed to posting in other subforums.

It is worse. Lowtax was a wife beating pill head so the impulsive vindictiveness and general incoherence were expected. Not really sure what’s going on with the current regime but nice work, guys.