Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Light Bicycle WR50s.

Huh, looking at the rim profile they seem identical to these https://www.duke-racingwheels.com/duke-world-runner-carbon-38-50/?lang=en which I was looking at

Also what width tyres did you use and how wide do they actually measure?

E: for the new page

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Heliosicle posted:

Huh, looking at the rim profile they seem identical to these https://www.duke-racingwheels.com/duke-world-runner-carbon-38-50/?lang=en which I was looking at

Also what width tyres did you use and how wide do they actually measure?

E: for the new page

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

If you get Dukes, get Baccara Xs. Their more up-to-date website is https://www.jpracingbike1.com/

I'm running 28mm GP5K S TRs, and they measure over 31mm.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

TobinHatesYou posted:

Shot on iPhone.

Oh man I was drooling over these shots on reddit this morning. What a bike.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you get Dukes, get Baccara Xs. Their more up-to-date website is https://www.jpracingbike1.com/

I'm running 28mm GP5K S TRs, and they measure over 31mm.

Thanks for the tip. The wheelbuilder I've bought from before has the Baccara X for only 40 more. I figured wider=better but guess that's not always the case.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got to love Marin. Good photo and good looking bicycle.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Is that a…Moots over Marin?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
don’t pull the thang out
unless you plan to bang

tylertfb posted:

Moots over Marin

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Need to bring my Marin to Marin

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

don’t pull the thang out
unless you plan to bang

HAHAHA nice

BEAUTIFUL bike

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Bud Manstrong posted:

don’t pull the thang out
unless you plan to bang

I was thinking of a different song:
(That bike rules, want it)

https://youtu.be/gES95UtYTr0

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

one last shot of it before I mutilate it into a singlespeed hard tail or something

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

dema posted:

Got to love Marin. Good photo and good looking bicycle.

scenery photos are kind of cheating around here but I guess you do have to put in the work to get to nice places to take them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

eeenmachine posted:

Oh man I was drooling over these shots on reddit this morning. What a bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

I wonder how much poo poo I would get putting those bars on my Domane+ :eyepop:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

eeenmachine posted:

I wonder how much poo poo I would get putting those bars on my Domane+ :eyepop:

E-bikes should have all-aero-everything to help with range.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I feel like I'm going to come home and find that bike in bed with my wife

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Show Us Your Bicycle: (bad idea) or (also a bad idea)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Show Us Your Bicycle: (bad idea) or (also a bad idea)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
First ride on road bike this year, took off the 65mm wheels for these 45s which are much more wind friendly

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ran some errands today and ended up at a local cafe

Only a 15km ride, but post covid, on a poorly geared cruiser bicycle and on lacking infra it was a fair ride

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Springtime bike roundup:

Fat

SS

Wife/my commuters

"Gravel bikes are just 90's MTBs"

Wife's gravel

My gravel

Road

I think now I just need a XC/downcountry rig...

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Cleaned up my winter commuter just in time for 4" more snow to fall. Cleared the drive last night, time to go cruise with a buddy today. It has snowed a lot this year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I thought this bar tape might look good but, with the black saddle, it doesn't:

I'm going to switch it to https://www.lizardskins.com/product-details?h=dsp-bar-tape-v2-carbon-camo&c=bar_tape&t=dsp_camo&v=0

But, I also got my fit done on that bike. And it is good. Lower saddle, further back, adjust cleats, lower stem, longer stem (100->120). Better in every way.

Here is a more aesthetically pleasing bike. And some cartoon cleavage:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

I thought this bar tape might look good but, with the black saddle, it doesn't:

I'm going to switch it to https://www.lizardskins.com/product-details?h=dsp-bar-tape-v2-carbon-camo&c=bar_tape&t=dsp_camo&v=0

and this is why we have rules

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I bought wheels for "cross bike as a winter road bike" for some reason

seems like pretty nice wheels, not sure about the tubeless rim strip thing, it was kind of annoying to get on and then made the tires pretty tight too. valve nuts are also kind of not ideal and could have a wider flat section or at least a little curved washer to sit on the rim because it's pretty narrow there. DT 350 hubs but only 18t ratchet. The fenders I assume are more than cancelling out any aerodynamic gains. They sound neat though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 23, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

^ hot.

Steve French posted:

and this is why we have rules

You know I've made worse financial mistakes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The new bike is here, and professionally assembled! Just a couple of cosmetic issues with the seat and one of the pedals; other than that, it's pretty much what I was expecting: a cool, retro-ish chro-moly framed single speed that I can convert to a knee-busting fixie if I so choose.

I rode it around the block a few times, which was fun because I live on a road with a decent incline. But, I had to get back to work, and we have rain for the next... [checks phone]... forever. Of course. It's like when I buy a telescope.

Still, this is a nice bike. The seat is comfortable in street clothes so far, but I haven't really tested it out yet. I probably won't be doing any centuries on this, but I like it. I love that blue and yellow.

The only thing I don't care for are the grips. I'm going to look for something different, maybe with tassels, maybe without.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
After 6 months of commuting on a big stepthru ebike I wanted something to ride on the dirt trails around here. Of course, since I've picked this up a month ago it hasn't stopped raining for more than a day so I've just been cruising the levees.

Biggest surprise is that my wife (notorious bicycle hater) has been riding it. I kind of suspect there will be a match pair in the garage soon.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
No pics of them on my actual bicycle yet, still waiting for some centrelock lock rings to arrive, but couldn't wait to show them because :drat: these wheels

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
:popeye: what are those?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lex Neville posted:

looks like wheels, hth

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

This

e.pilot posted:

looks like wheels, hth

But also:

Duke Baccara X rims with Erase hubs. Hopefully can go for a spin this weekend.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Finally got to try them, thanks covid

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

dema posted:

You know I've made worse financial mistakes.

On that note, here's a story in three parts:

Wifi Toilet posted:

Welp, apparently I'm in full on midlife crisis mode cuz I can't stop thinking about building a dumb fixie bike. I guess I can always stick it on the wall and call it art after never riding it?

Hoopy Frood posted:

I'm in exactly the same situation, but I want a Time Trial bike. We don't even have much of a time trial club scene over here, but I don't seem to be able to let it go.

I don't even know what they're like to ride, does anyone here use one?

Hoopy Frood posted:

Does the full aero position on a TT bike typically feel very sketchy at first and take some time to get used to when you first try it, or am I a big old dumb scaredy-cat doofus?

Or perhaps both?

I still have no need for this bike and no idea what I'm doing when I ride it, I had to wait 6 months for the right sized frame to arrive here in Australia, and I backed out of building it myself and got my local shop to build it for me, but here's my new Trinity:

Much better pics from my excellent bike shop here in Melbourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpjuTUnyxZa/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nice looking bike. The next step is Go Fast.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Hoopy Frood posted:

On that note, here's a story in three parts:

I still have no need for this bike and no idea what I'm doing when I ride it, I had to wait 6 months for the right sized frame to arrive here in Australia, and I backed out of building it myself and got my local shop to build it for me, but here's my new Trinity:

Much better pics from my excellent bike shop here in Melbourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpjuTUnyxZa/

That's wild! First, I love the bike. But, this is the second time today I've seen one of those.

I did a 30-mile ride today (no thanks to some sketchy navigation from Wahoo), and when I was packing things up to drive home after getting off the trails, a runner came jogging off the same trail and walked toward his SUV. On the back, locked up as tightly as I guess you can with a good bike carrier, was one of these bikes. I don't know if the color was the same, but it was definitely this model.

I'm guessing he's a triathlete. I wonder where he's going to go swimming? (in the Midwest of the US, even though today was warm, the water in any nearby lake is still far too cold for a comfortable or safe swim.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've got four bikes but these are the fun ones:

2011 Santa Cruz Heckler

2015? Surly Pugsly

1998 Specialized Allez comp

The last one I bought last Fall, having belonged to a friend's dad's friend, so I got it cheap but needed a bunch of parts replaced which gave me a reason to get to know the owner of my new local bike shop since the one I used for a decade shut down a few years ago. Had never done road biking before and that photo was taken on a 43 mile trek around D.C. which is the farthest I've ever gone by a wide margin and boy was I dying the last 8 or so miles that are all uphill heading North from D.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil: