Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Tekopo posted:

Seriously, never get into wargames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

never get into wargames

Yeah, the first movie was good but the second was direct to video garbage

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Playing a game once or twice is a great success in the field of wargames.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
There’s no bigger endorphin rush for me than punching out tokens and doing initial organization of the box. Is this a viable business venture? Can I have people ship me their sealed copies and I’ll get it all set up and then sent back to them? I don’t even think I’d need payment, the contact high will be more than enough.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

*takes a huge sniff of new-board-game-smell as I open the box* oh yeah that's the good poo poo

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I do find it weirdly satisfying to figure out the most logical / efficient way to bag up board game components, actually punching out components is kind of a nuisance though

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm so bad at putting board games back in the box properly that I took pictures when I was pulling out components of a game I borrowed from a friend so I'd know how to put them back the way they were supposed to go.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I do find it weirdly satisfying to figure out the most logical / efficient way to bag up board game components, actually punching out components is kind of a nuisance though

you gotta upgrade to the heavy poo poo: designing and 3D printing your own organizers.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm so bad at putting board games back in the box properly that I took pictures when I was pulling out components of a game I borrowed from a friend so I'd know how to put them back the way they were supposed to go.

The boxes that utilize the sides of the game box to show you pictures of how to put it away are *chef's kiss*

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bodanarko posted:

you gotta upgrade to the heavy poo poo: designing and 3D printing your own organizers.

I am unreasonably proud of a storage solution I found for RftG (plus some expansions) which basically involved cutting up the existing box liner and sticking it back together with tape. But thankfully I don't have easy access to a 3D printer or I'd probably already be there.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Is this game actually officially out? It always seemed like one of those absurdly simple projects that could not get its poo poo together. I was in contact with them a few years ago to be one of their 'promoters' or whatever as a storyteller to drum up interest at local game stores but then they eventually ghosted me and I completely forgot about it. Every so often I'd remember it and see some Kickstarter style nonsense.

I guess now they sell it directly from the site? Is it really worth $150 bucks? It's just Werewolf with a glowup?

I live in a place where shipping is always ludicrous so I have to be real careful about getting something.

There's definitely some kickstarter nonsense going on with BotC (not shocked that happened to you, lol), and they could have made it work at a cheaper price. But the game rules enough that it washes away a lot of the sour stuff. For the right person it's worth looking into.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bodanarko posted:

Oh I'm getting there, I got started with the recreational stuff, you know....foamcore

If not for the Playstation VR2 coming out this month, I'd be the owner of a 3D printer and you had better believe I'd be using it to make organizers and chits and whatever the gently caress.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Seriously if you complain that you have to punch out like 10 sheets of tokens, never get into wargames

I like my wargames scifi or fantasy related. wanting to recreate waterloo or whatever it is historical gamers do never appealled to me

The only comment I really have about punching out things, is when fallout wasteland warfare wanted me to punch out cards instead of printing them out themselves in MTG-quality card stock.

That's a big no, good buddy.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Is this game actually officially out? It always seemed like one of those absurdly simple projects that could not get its poo poo together. I was in contact with them a few years ago to be one of their 'promoters' or whatever as a storyteller to drum up interest at local game stores but then they eventually ghosted me and I completely forgot about it. Every so often I'd remember it and see some Kickstarter style nonsense.

I guess now they sell it directly from the site? Is it really worth $150 bucks? It's just Werewolf with a glowup?

I live in a place where shipping is always ludicrous so I have to be real careful about getting something.

I paid $95 for BotC. I've run it with a PnP version as well.

To analogize to a role playing game: It's about quality of life. Can you run a role playing game with some crappy dice and some graph paper sitting in the dirt? Yes. Is it nicer when you have a big table, and a GM screen, and your rulebooks have ribbons, and your players have rules handouts? Yes.

BotC's published version is really nice for the Storyteller.

Because here's the thing: BotC is absolutely not "Werewolf with a glowup". It has an active and involved Storyteller, who needs to keep track of a rather complex game state (who is who, who does what, what lies and truths the Storyteller has already told people, what lies and truths the Storyteller is going to tell people, etc.). Keeping track of that game state is hard.

The BotC box is incredible for the Storyteller. It makes running the game smooth(er) and easy(er). And if the Storyteller is having more fun and an easier time, everybody else is going to have a much better time. A good Storyteller is what elevates BotC from "Werewolf with a glowup" into "best in class for social deduction / traitor games".

Is a Mercedes worth it over a Civic? One is certainly nicer than the other. But "worth" is a relative question. I've had great BotC experiences with PnP both as a player and a Storyteller. But I would never play a game without the box now, and it would be one of the last board games I would give up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got Cranky Chinchillas in. Not sure if it was worth $77USD but oh well. Looks cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Frosthaven has arrived! I am genuinely concerned about putting the box on my glass top table. But that's fine because knowing my luck it will look very nice on the shelf where it shall spend the rest of its days

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Tekopo posted:

*takes a huge sniff of new-board-game-smell as I open the box* oh yeah that's the good poo poo

if you do this with a hollandspiele game you instantly die

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

you've got to build up immunity, start with monopoly and work your way up

can't hit the hard stuff from the get-go

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

Same.

When I opened up Gaia Project it was like I'd never considered how organized "oops all bags" could be.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Morpheus posted:

Frosthaven has arrived! I am genuinely concerned about putting the box on my glass top table. But that's fine because knowing my luck it will look very nice on the shelf where it shall spend the rest of its days

You just reminded me to check my email and I got my notification!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Pseudoscorpion posted:

if you do this with a hollandspiele game you instantly die

I'm happy someone else pointed it out. I remember dipping into An Infamous Traffic and having to go outside because the smell was giving me a headache.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Frosthaven punching party itt clear you’re calendar’s

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frosthaven punch out and setup took 4 hours for me.
Enjoy~

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For sale: one Frosthaven, never played

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My unplayed copy of 7th Continent and barely played physical copy of Gloomhaven were the reminders I needed not to back Frosthaven, but I'm still envious of people who are actually going to get it to a table.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Frosthaven has an entire instruction sheet for getting the components back in the box. It is longer than the rules sheet for a lightweight game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is Frosthaven better than Gloomhaven?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's frostier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Not as gloomy, though, so it's a tradeoff.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
IMO yeah. The biggest complaint about GH (other than being too big, a problem NOT IMPROVED on by FH) is that the story is meh to bad and didn’t engage the players. That is the biggest change in FH and is a huge improvement as the added resource and building management of the outpost phase really gives you a reason to go out and loot beyond doing it for the sake of advancing the game. The game also uses an advent calendar flowchart for tracking progress instead of inscrutable check marks and stickers on the map board like GH

The classes can be a step up in complexity from some of the more basic GH classes, and same goes for classes, but I wouldn’t really put that as a negative. Just something to be aware of. The game is good as hell if you are into the coop dungeon crawl genre.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just want more Gloomhaven and I'm very annoyed that my friends (very reasonably) don't want to get together regularly because COVID is still pretty bad.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Am I understanding lautapelit's website correctly in that Eclipse: 2nd Dawn expansions come out on the 28th?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Frosthaven is GH improved in pretty much every way so far. We played GH to completion, and FH adds just enough added stuff to make it feel like a real campaign kind of game.

The biggest changes to combat are:
1) splitting scenario maps across pages so that you don't see the whole map at once, and
2) more types of status effects, which seem well thought-out and are about as straightforward and effective as the original game's. Finally
3) Looting happens the same but is completely different. Loot tokens have you draw a card from a scenario-specific loot deck, and it may include a random item (which you can immediately use for the rest of the scenario, even if it violates your carry capacity.) Looting is the primary way to get raw materials, at least at first.

Campaign and otherwise there's a lot of "stuff", but none of it is significantly more complex than it needs to be and it really does so far deliver a good GM-less co-op campaign experience where the meat of the game is still the fantasy SWAT team from GH.

Some misc things about the campaign-type elements:

- Scenarios are more fleshed out, with more of a reason you're even doing X, Y, or Z at all. (Instead of the often-contextless odd jobs of GH)
- The big board is now 50:50 split between world map, and outpost map.
- World map gets stickers for missions (like GH) and the outpost gets overlay stickers for buildings you build or upgrade. Kind of ends up looking like an Asterix-style micro-macro layout.
- The perfunctory "City phase" (city event, leveling up, buying or selling poo poo) in GH is now a more fleshed out "Outpost phase". It's not as complicated as it looks at first glance. There's "time passes" and a week in the campaign calendar gets crossed off, and may trigger events. (Some things have you write reference numbers in the calendar, for things that fire off in the future, like deliveries.)
- The "city event" of GH is now an "outpost event" with different decks for summer vs winter. It may result in attacks on the outpost.
- The threat of attacks and only being able to build one building per outpost phase really does lend a feeling of urgency to developing/defending the outpost.
- You at first must craft items to get new things (there is no shop or merchant to begin with)
- There's a neat advent-calendar style potion sheet where you find out the results of randomly mixing different herbal components, and can thereafter craft that potion whenever you like after discovering it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Decon posted:

Am I understanding lautapelit's website correctly in that Eclipse: 2nd Dawn expansions come out on the 28th?

Oooh it certainly looks that way. I've been waiting for them to release, that game sees a lot of playtime at my place.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

armorer posted:

Oooh it certainly looks that way. I've been waiting for them to release, that game sees a lot of playtime at my place.

It absolutely dominates our table.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Looking for more info regarding the Eclipse expansion races it looks like that 28th date may be a preorder start date.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I like that they had however long to work with Frosthaven and couldn't think of a better solution to organizing the monsters and map tiles than just "put the monsters in bags and uh just chuck it all on the top of the other stuff in a pile"

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Knocked off the third MicroMacro game, still great, still a heap of extra cases and followon stories from previous maps going on there. Really looking forward to laying out all 4 maps, though I think we've spotted all of the cross-map cases entering map 3 at least.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also imagine that scene in Scarface when he's sitting over a massive pile of cocaine on a table except it's a massive pile of punched out cardboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

armorer posted:

Looking for more info regarding the Eclipse expansion races it looks like that 28th date may be a preorder start date.

If they're up to preorders at least they're doing better than AFfO Danes :v:

And it sure would be great if Fantasy Flight put all 3 Twilight Imperium codexes into a box you could buy.