Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BlazetheInferno posted:

As a WoW refugee, I had fun with the idea that my main from WoW had literally stumbled into a new setting, taking the idea of "WoW Refugee" to a whoooole new level.

Hah, I'm not the only one that did that? That rules. :)

How close were you able to approximate their look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Relyssa posted:

SMN owns BLM is infuriating and not in a good way

I mained BLM all the way to 90 and am pretty fond of it. Nearly have SAM to 90 now and boy I do have to admit it feels like easy mode.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

Hah, I'm not the only one that did that? That rules. :)

How close were you able to approximate their look?

Well, I got his human form pretty well, other than the face due to limited options there, but otherwise he turned out pretty well. He even found armor reminiscent of what he wore back home. I even made a bit of a "plot point", as it were, out of the fact that the Worgen Curse... didn't come with him to Eorzea. When he found a way home, he had to deal with it reasserting itself.

But he spent long enough here and saw enough that he's become fond of this place. Sort of a second home; helps that he ran into a friend of his, too.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Majin posted:

I mained BLM all the way to 90 and am pretty fond of it. Nearly have SAM to 90 now and boy I do have to admit it feels like easy mode.

I would absolutely be that BLM that dies to easy mechanics because the cast bar was so close to finishing I thought I could get away with it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Relyssa posted:

SMN owns BLM is infuriating and not in a good way

:wrong:

(Disclaimer: am BLM main)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you get DPS tunnel vision it's really easy to die as a BLM because of its turrety gameplay. But you also have some nice mobility tools so it's kind of weird in where it sits.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A true BLM sees a danger puddle spring up under their feet, pops their shield, and keeps casting without missing a beat. Especially if they're in their ley line. And if they know they have an overeager healer they'll pop Surecast too so they can't be Rescued.

On that note, using Rescue on a BLM is sure to earn their ire, no matter how likely they are to have died without it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly as a healer I'm just glad manafont or whatever no longer dings your health when you use it. I know it cuts into class fantasy but it always made me panic when the BLM has their health start dropping when there's no mechanics out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

A BLM's job is DPS. If you stand in the orange circle, you take damage, thus increasing the amount of damage happening in that second. It would be irresponsible to leave the orange circle.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
"My sole reason for existing is to maximize damage. Whose damage? EVERYONE'S DAMAGE."

A dancer who stands in every danger zone and never uses Shield Samba.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BLM is really fun and rewarding as you have to have fight mechanics down and know when to pop laylines, triplecast, etc. I'm still not great at it yet but when I'm in the zone I feel like a god.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
BLM does feel incredible when you click with it and the fight mechanics. Just blowing the everlasting poo poo out of everything in sight. It's frustrating when mechanics force you to abandon a leyline as soon as you drop it or you have to keep interrupting casts. Theres tools to help deal with that, though. I'd still encourage everyone who wants to feel like a harbinger of destruction to give it a shot anyway. It's a class that feels really good to play more than it feels bad. Yes, it can be daunting. But it feels so GOOD and satisfying.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The problem with BLM is that it is by far the worst job to get synced down on. High level BLM kicks rear end, you can throw a ton of nukes, with lots of mobility options, but Fire I spam is the least amount of fun you can have playing dps properly, and you're stuck with that until mid-HW.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I know people throw a lot of shade at early game quests, but Smashing rocks as a marauder is loving hilarious.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BurningBeard posted:

I know people throw a lot of shade at early game quests, but Smashing rocks as a marauder is loving hilarious.

The marauder quests are pretty good, it's just the heavensward warrior quests that are pretty mid imo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

warrior is one of the best tanks for me, but i really didn't like any of the job quests all the way from level dot

tbh, i didn't really like any of the tank job lines, for one reason or another

idk

S.J.
May 19, 2008

hexwren posted:

warrior is one of the best tanks for me, but i really didn't like any of the job quests all the way from level dot

idk

I was laughing my rear end off during the Warrior stormblood quests so idk

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

idk

I'm trying really hard to remember any feeling I had about the Gunbreaker quests, but all I'm getting is "yeah, I think I did those? Not missing any skills on GNB. I think?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

S.J. posted:

I was laughing my rear end off during the Warrior stormblood quests so idk

Stormblood was elevated to maximum because of the face I happened to be wearing at the time.

The gear's because I went back to take the screenshot later, but that was actual.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is fantastic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

hopeandjoy posted:

Solution: do all side quests while you’re MSQing and level two classes.

Except Moogles. gently caress the Moogles.

Hey those Moogles got me through HW crafting.

(It's honestly the best source of DoH experience as far as I can tell.)

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Crafting tribes give amazing experience for the level range of the expac you’re in - the second you hit level 60 on a Moogle crafting job, the experience drops down to 1k per quest. Fortunately, the sheer length of the Moogle crafting quest line means you’ve got plenty of other crafting jobs to get to 50 to grind!

(God getting the HW tribal quest givers to Bloodsworn took ages.)

Selane
May 19, 2006

S.J. posted:

The marauder quests are pretty good, it's just the heavensward warrior quests that are pretty mid imo
They're not bad, but considering that as tanks go they're competing against DRK(best class storyline in the game) and HW Paladin(worst in the game by a mile), they're not memorable for being particularly good OR bad.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I mostly leaned on GC turn ins & custom deliveries to get my crafters levelled - the GC ones that were in demand gave an absurd amount of exp that would double if you made it HQ (or bought off the MB).

I wish I’d bothered to do the tribe quests while levelling though, doing them after the fact really feels like a chore

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so uh what's going on with those clearly high-level players that stand around in the same spot for days/weeks at a time? there are some in every major city

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
People are just weird.

Some servers are loaded up with alts that just stand there 24/7 in cash-shop items, or sit on a bench 100% of the time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

God Hole posted:

so uh what's going on with those clearly high-level players that stand around in the same spot for days/weeks at a time? there are some in every major city

ERP

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I'm trying really hard to remember any feeling I had about the Gunbreaker quests, but all I'm getting is "yeah, I think I did those? Not missing any skills on GNB. I think?"

The GNB quests are a big nothingburger, which is a shame because I adore the aesthetic and the lore explanation of "You're basically popping aether batteries to trigger magic effects on the fly."

There's some fun ~RP~ poo poo to be had there with the idea of some GNB who has a prepper's hoard of cartridges in the basement because they prep new ones every day like some min-maxed D&D wizard making scrolls from all of their unused spells before going to bed or something. But the class quests say nothing about this--it's all part of the MSQ with Thancred and how Ryne and later Y'shtola are making his carts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

People are just weird.

Some servers are loaded up with alts that just stand there 24/7 in cash-shop items, or sit on a bench 100% of the time.

Isn't there a story out there about a bench turf war or something like that?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's always extra annoying at the start of an expansion when the servers are full and people who don't even play the game but just afk in the same spot in their ERP gear 24/7 are taking up slots. gently caress you!!!!

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
There's someone on Adamantoise who just dances all day next to the Aftcastle aetheryte.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I afk at the beginning of an expansion with intent to come back and continue the msq after a nap

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ah, things are clicking into place

I appreciate the players that will set up elaborate tableaus with those semi-permanent fixtures. there's been a guy standing in a really prominent spot in Uldah since I started last month and a few days ago I was walking by and a group of 4 or 5 players had set their characters up to make it look like he had just committed a murder in the street

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

One of the running jokes is "XIV endgame is glam." People do the hardest content and the longest grinds so that they can idle near people with the items out. Limsa Lominsa's aetheryte plaza is the main place because it has the easiest access to a market board after teleporting to a city so it has the most foot traffic.
There's also housing and that's also technically glam

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn't there a story out there about a bench turf war or something like that?
There's a couple of Limsa bench episodes that I remember. Here's one https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ctujmn/ultros_decided_to_start_a_war_over_a_bench_in/

Even on Excalibur I've heard stories of people being mad because people were mad about other idling in their preferred spots.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

God Hole posted:

For some of them the display is the point such as the Jades on Famfrit, dancing to welcome visitors to our server.

For others like me it's "okay, let's log into FF14. I think today I'll... hmm... guess I'll go watch some Youtube and see if a guildie has any ideas later."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My favorite permanent AFKer is the lala in Excalibur Limsa doing the Manderville dance with a fat chocobo head on.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

on my ff11 server there used to be like ten or fifteen characters idling around a fountain, all with daikon in their name, at all times of day.

stellar stuff, really. more people should do that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On Omega there are like 12 identical Lalas under the map at Limsa or Gridania following each other across the void one ilm at a time.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Heran Bago posted:

On Omega there are like 12 identical Lalas under the map at Limsa or Gridania following each other across the void one ilm at a time.

wait how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Do they have keysmash names? Because those are RMT bots.