Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

My personal favourite is every time there's a non jew in the room during Israeli summers someone immediately going "phew it sure it hot today!!!"

How could one resist the urge to gently caress with them and go "mmm yes wonderful", turn on the central heating, and then leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

* yes I know that's likely not what the phrase 'lie with man' meant in the original sources.

It actually kind of is :v:

It's two words, one of which is close to 'lying down' and has the same old timey 'lie with' connotation in Hebrew, the other word is 'male'. The bible doesn't technically say anything about lesbians!

Failed Imagineer posted:

How could one resist the urge to gently caress with them and go "mmm yes wonderful", turn on the central heating, and then leave

The only situation where I was actually in close enough proximity to both observant jews and non-jews was the IDF. Potentially the worst environment I can think of to gently caress with crazy fundies for many MANY reasons. They mostly all holed up in one room so nobody would bother them anyway and slept all day.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 22, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rules lawyering religion is really the only fun kind of rules lawyering, anything else is virtually always just someone being a pedantic gently caress because they didn’t get their way.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Religious technicalities always crack me up, like the guy the other day pretending that actually leviticus was written about the transes, so as long as we have gay sex standing up we've gotten round that loophole!

(Yes I know that's likely not what the phrase 'lie with man' meant in the original sources.)

The same people claiming that god is omniscient and knows what's in your heart, but can also be tricked by the kind of smooth-brained rules lawyering that a toddler would be able to see through.

As I understand it in Judaism at least God knows exactly what you're doing but if you're sneaky enough about it he's pretty amused and so is cool with it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

It's two words, one of which is close to 'lying down' and has the same old timey 'lie with' connotation in Hebrew, the other word is 'male'. The bible doesn't technically say anything about lesbians!
I was reading a thing ages ago that was saying the only other time it crops up is in a passage about treating the dead on battlefields?

The translating monks might also have inherited ancient greek morality around homosexuality, which is that it's fine to be a top, but once you get past a certain age being a bottom is seen as a shameful thing and at one point there was even a 'carrot and hot ashes' punishment for it? Again, I haven't studied classics in well over 20 years so it's entirely possible that these are horrible outdated ideas.

Might see if I can find the article but I doubt I'd be able to find it again.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was reading a thing ages ago that was saying the only other time it crops up is in a passage about treating the dead on battlefields?

The translating monks might also have inherited ancient greek morality around homosexuality, which is that it's fine to be a top, but once you get past a certain age being a bottom is seen as a shameful thing and at one point there was even a 'carrot and hot ashes' punishment for it? Again, I haven't studied classics in well over 20 years so it's entirely possible that these are horrible outdated ideas.

Might see if I can find the article but I doubt I'd be able to find it again.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure despite having more than a few years of Judaism-only RE under my belt. I know the one section I mentioned but I have no idea if it comes up again. As with everything bible related, it's 50 shades of interpertation and cherry picking what you think is literal vs. metaphoric to support whatever world view the interperter already has, in my experience.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If I remember I'll try and find the piece later, I'm on the way to drop the dog off at the vet and then tidy the house for my parents visiting tomorrow. Typical leftist antisemitism, deprioritising jewish issues!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I got excluded from my (compulsory) GCSE RE class because apparently I wasn't taking it seriously enough. It was a fairly 'small c' Conservative state school and apparently it was inappropriate for me to insist the one true god was a Llama.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminds me of Mullah Nasruddin, the greatest (folkloric) religious rules lawyer, who is probably a composite of any number of historical pranksters and irl trolls.

quote:

Once, Mullah Nasruddin visited a devout Muslim friend. The friend had a guest room with a bed facing the window. The window faced east, towards the holy city of Mecca, containing the house of God, the Kaaba. The friend advised: "Dear Nasruddin, make sure that you sleep with your head towards Mecca, out of respect for God." Nasruddin was an active sleeper and tossed and turned and ended up with his feet facing Mecca. When Nasruddin awoke, he found the friend staring down at him. The friend scolded Nasruddin: "You must not point your feet towards God! You must point your head towards God and your feet away from him!" Nasruddin convinced his friend that it wouldn’t happen again but the same occurred for three consecutive mornings. On the third morning, seeing his friend bursting with anger, Nasruddin held out his feet and said: "Point my feet where God is not!"

There's nowhere that says that a llama isn't where any given omnipresent god might be.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I did RE as a Higher (well, technically, Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies) and that along with Higher Classics are honestly probably the two parts of my entire education I ended up enjoying the most. The main thing I credit it with is introducing me to existentialism, the primary usage of which is telling people on the internet who think they've come up with a cool new spin on Nihilism "you're just badly describing Existentialism" or "that's Absurdism, it already exists"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"that's epistemological solipsism, we don't know if it exists"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Reveilled posted:

I did RE as a Higher (well, technically, Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies) and that along with Higher Classics are honestly probably the two parts of my entire education I ended up enjoying the most. The main thing I credit it with is introducing me to existentialism, the primary usage of which is telling people on the internet who think they've come up with a cool new spin on Nihilism "you're just badly describing Existentialism" or "that's Absurdism, it already exists"

What're the Lower Classics

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Unrelated to philosophy discourse, but Mick Lynch's speech at the Durham Miners' fundraiser just gave me an attack of onions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPlX195em4

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Stuff about the bible and homosexuality:

https://um-insight.net/perspectives/has-%E2%80%9Chomosexual%E2%80%9D-always-been-in-the-bible/

It kind of makes sense that the church would have a vested interest in going "ah no, that line doesn't refer to organised rings of adults having sex with boys, so we're fine."

I wish I could find the other article that was going back to what the oldest sources said but it seems like it's gone from the internet, never to return. Most of the results returned by google were small churches in the US arguing it does condemn homophobia based purely on the English translation, which as we know is perfect and infallible and not based on the attitudes of celibate monks, and generations of puritans.

The dog is fine by the way, just getting his annual checkup and a bit of fussing.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Reveilled posted:

The primary usage of which is telling people on the internet who think they've come up with a cool new spin on Nihilism "you're just badly describing Existentialism" or "that's Absurdism, it already exists"

There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is getting people to stop reading Nietzsche and start reading Camus.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Gay Science lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MeinPanzer posted:

A lot of people itt surprisingly don’t understand that your continued enjoyment of leisure is mostly dependent on doing some sort of purposeful work.

:chloe:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's true in the sense that if you don't go to work you don't get any money to do anything other than sit in miserable poverty.

But that isn't universal law, there's people making it so it's that way.

It's funny, I spent some time over the last few months listening to late 19th/early 20th century mystery stories and the amount of them that are written from the perspective of (and by) weird aristos who have nothing to do with their time and so spend it all "at their club" is just bizzare, an entire apparent industry that exists as a kind of rich people daycare.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 22, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of Mullah Nasruddin, the greatest (folkloric) religious rules lawyer, who is probably a composite of any number of historical pranksters and irl trolls.

My favourite one:

For one reason and another, Mullah Nasruddin found himself appointed to be a judge. He wasn't at all sure what he was supposed to be doing, but did his best to sit up straight in his chair, and look solemn and judge-like.

A dispute between two citizens came before him. The first citizen stated his case clearly and eloquently: "You are right", said Nasruddin. Then the second citizen stood and gave his side of the case; he also spoke fluently and convincingly. "Hmm, you are also right." said Nasruddin.

At this point someone in the gallery lost their temper and called out to Nasruddin, saying that he was doing it all wrong and had to decide the case one way or the other. Said Nasruddin, despairingly, "You are right too!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

He wasn't at all sure what he was supposed to be doing, but did his best to sit up straight in his chair, and look solemn and judge-like.
Next Labour leader.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stuff about the bible and homosexuality:

https://um-insight.net/perspectives/has-%E2%80%9Chomosexual%E2%80%9D-always-been-in-the-bible/

It kind of makes sense that the church would have a vested interest in going "ah no, that line doesn't refer to organised rings of adults having sex with boys, so we're fine."

I wish I could find the other article that was going back to what the oldest sources said but it seems like it's gone from the internet, never to return. Most of the results returned by google were small churches in the US arguing it does condemn homophobia based purely on the English translation, which as we know is perfect and infallible and not based on the attitudes of celibate monks, and generations of puritans.

The dog is fine by the way, just getting his annual checkup and a bit of fussing.

This is admirable but it’s unfortunately deeply flawed. The focus is on the word arsenokoites in Corinthians. This has been translated as “homosexual” in recent decades, and the author turns to late medieval-early modern translations to try to prove that this refers to pederasty and not homosexuality. But the Greek word is unusual and is quite straightforward in its meaning: it’s a masculine noun composed of arsen, which is a semi-technical word for the male sex, and koites, which means “someone who lies in bed;” so it literally means someone who lies in bed with a man. Greeks had plenty of words for pederasts and that isn’t one of them.

Generally pederastic relationships were considered acceptable in the ancient eastern Mediterranean while homosexual relationships between adult men were not, so it’s the exact opposite of this interpretation if you go to the original Greek source.

The answer is just generally not to look to the Bible for affirmation of progressive modern politics.

Edit: was intrigued by this word since it’s so weird from an ancient Greek perspective and I found this article that takes a deep dive into the philology behind it:https://www.johnpiippo.com/2011/12/arsenokoitais-in-1-timothy-110-et-al.html?m=1. The guy is apparently a conservative Christian but he’s spot on in terms of the meaning of the Greek, which is clearly referring to male homosexuality broadly construed (the Septuagint translation of Leviticus 20:13 makes this 100% clear).

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 22, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

The answer is just generally not to look to the Bible for affirmation of progressive modern politics.

But but what about child sacrifice, gaslighting and genocide?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Ruh roh https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64736670

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Isaac: "Dad, we need to talk about th--"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

In a statement, the Police Service of Northern Ireland said officers were at the scene.
I bet they were.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Owly and Desperate Dan and others that I'm forgetting right now post a lot of nice photos from walks and stuff and I always think "I should get out and do more walking" and then never do. Part of that is because I've been very out of shape for a long time but I've lost a fair bit of weight recently and am enjoying just being able to move around more easily so I'd like to make the most of that.

In particular I'd like to find cool woods and forests where you can go walking but my attempts at searching for stuff like this online have been largely unsuccessful. What's the best way to find out about nature trails and stuff near me? There's loads of fields around here with walking routes through them but I find walking across fields boring.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tarnop posted:

Owly and Desperate Dan and others that I'm forgetting right now post a lot of nice photos from walks and stuff and I always think "I should get out and do more walking" and then never do. Part of that is because I've been very out of shape for a long time but I've lost a fair bit of weight recently and am enjoying just being able to move around more easily so I'd like to make the most of that.

In particular I'd like to find cool woods and forests where you can go walking but my attempts at searching for stuff like this online have been largely unsuccessful. What's the best way to find out about nature trails and stuff near me? There's loads of fields around here with walking routes through them but I find walking across fields boring.

I just googled "forest walks near [your town]" and got at least a couple of promising results.

Not a massively forested area though I suppose.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Shot cop is a Detective Chief Inspector, took 4 bullets and is critical but stable. Hopefully this doesn't kick off anything worse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

Shot cop is a Detective Chief Inspector, took 4 bullets and is critical but stable. Hopefully this doesn't kick off anything worse.

Good start to a rap career

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good start to a rap career

When's the last time you met a DCI with flow?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sebzilla posted:

I just googled "forest walks near [your town]" and got at least a couple of promising results.

Not a massively forested area though I suppose.

Yeah there's loads of moors near me (Halifax, it's not like I'm doxxing myself since I've already posted about my local MP multiple times itt) and most of the searches I've tried give me routes that the site will describe as forest or woodland but are actually only forests if you're 2 feet tall and disappear in long grass.

e: eg here is the #6 rated forest trail near Halifax on alltrails.com:

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MeinPanzer posted:

This is admirable but it’s unfortunately deeply flawed. The focus is on the word arsenokoites in Corinthians. This has been translated as “homosexual” in recent decades, and the author turns to late medieval-early modern translations to try to prove that this refers to pederasty and not homosexuality. But the Greek word is unusual and is quite straightforward in its meaning: it’s a masculine noun composed of arsen, which is a semi-technical word for the male sex, and koites, which means “someone who lies in bed;” so it literally means someone who lies in bed with a man. Greeks had plenty of words for pederasts and that isn’t one of them.

Lol it's arse-no-coitus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I am fortunate in that I live next to a lot of very nice places, but failing that I would literally just get on google maps and look around you, where you're comfortable driving to, and then just go there, find somewhere to park and have a wander. There will usually be places signposted once you're there. Most big patches of forest should have some walking routes through them.

As for fitness, I am certainly not fit and I don't walk quickly, I also if I'm going for a proper one, bring lunch with me and eat at intervals along the route, usually on routes I know I will have intervals planned out and the opportunity to have dinner is my "reward" for reaching them and an excuse to stop at pleasant parts of the route. Biggest walk I've done was only a seven mile round trip (albeit about five hundred feet upwards) and I had three stops for picnics and it took me most of the day.

You don't have to be fit, just being outside and away from people and computer can make a nice change.

E: halifax looks a bit barren but all the forest pictures you'll have seen from me are from guisborough forest south of middlesbrough, which is not very big. It looks like around west yorkshire all the trees are in the valleys, which is similar geographically to where I am, the tees valley is all fields and built up, while the moors are desolate, but guisborough forest is on the steep incline between the moors geological feature and the surrounding lowlands, as the moors plateau kind of breaks up into softer stone. So they don't build on it, it's forestry land.

So those green valleys on the map near you would probably be your best bet, ogden water looks like a nice walk and along the river ryburn possibly?

Looking at ogden water on the map it seems like it is supposed to be surrounded by trees:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7752679,-1.9071791,848m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 23, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Back when I was young we’d have a look for something promising in the Ordnance Survey maps. My mum was a keen walker, so we had quite a few.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also in my experience a lot of old pits and quarries and so on have nice walks around them, often designed by the workers and families from the area, so you can have a walk around the rewilded growth and probably see a garage-sized museum of what went on there and have something to eat in the cafe.

MeinPanzer posted:

Generally pederastic relationships were considered acceptable in the ancient eastern Mediterranean
Mare Nonce-trum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of technically navigable bits of forest aren't really marked on the map either. Guisborough forest has a number of proper gravel logging roads, but there's got to be a dozen cycle trails running between them up and down the hill that simply aren't marked, many of them badly overgrown and decomissioned but still navigable depending on the time of year (and your choice of legwear, lots of nettles) and also to be honest a lot of the footpaths aren't marked either.

I usually just pick one and see where it goes. You can't get lost cos if you go up the hill you'll hit the moor and if you go down the hill you'll hit the fields. So really you do kinda just have to go to a place and have a skeg. If there's an opening in the trees somewhere that looks like a trail, just follow it, you will quickly feel like you're a thousand miles from civilization except for the near omnipresent background rumble of a dual carriageway that occupies most of the UK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tarnop posted:

Yeah there's loads of moors near me (Halifax, it's not like I'm doxxing myself since I've already posted about my local MP multiple times itt) and most of the searches I've tried give me routes that the site will describe as forest or woodland but are actually only forests if you're 2 feet tall and disappear in long grass.

I'm going to assume you don't mind travelling a bit, because I don't know Halifax but I do know West Yorks. Not sure you'd call it a walk in the woods exactly, but the canal path between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd is a nice stroll under a leafy canopy. Going up to Widdop Reservoir from HB is also nice, although even fewer trees. Bolton Abbey near Skipton is very pretty and definitely has trees (go see YouTube-famous death river The Strid while you're there). A little further afield, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park has some small but pleasant woodland, and some cool sculptures to boot. On the other side of Bradford you've got Otley Chevin Forest, which is probably the nearest proper woodland. That area of Yorkshire isn't really blessed with a lot of forests that I can recall, but if you are willing to forgo that and are open to moorland I can recommend a lot of good stuff from my time living in Leeds.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks all, I'll definitely put in some legwork and have a look around on foot near where there are big spots of trees. Ogden water is lovely but it can be a bit loving bleak and extremely muddy especially in February. I just wanted to check that there's not some cool database of walks that I was failing to find with my half hearted searching, since I know lots of people walk or cycle with GPS devices that log your routes.

Guisbrough forest is nice, I remember walking there as a kid (lived in Great Ayton for a few years when I was growing up)

e: and yeah I'm lucky enough to have a car to get out of town to these places so these are good recs. I'll give that canal path walk a look too, leafy canopy is nice this time of year when the wind can be biting

e2: I used to go to Bolton Abbey all the time as a kid, used to love playing on the stepping stones. I'll have to pop over for a nostalgia visit. And Yorkshire Sculpture park is a bit of a drive but it's also very near where my mum and dad live so I can stop by them on the same trip.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wandering or cycling around and following trails at random is probably the best way to find good walks. The local 1:50,000 OS map can be handy as well to get an overview of the area and make sure you're not going to end up in a bog, but there are typically many, many more paths than there are rights of way and footpaths shown on the map.

e: ^^Can't promise it'll be that leafy this time of year but it is at least in a valley so should be a bit sheltered.