Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Man, and I thought I was surprised to find out he voiced JP Seteth. I’m sure he does a great job though.

He sure voices a lot of game-defining badasses. Kagetsu, Seteth, Lewyn, Pent. And that’s not even all his roles in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol I just finished Chapter 17 on my Reclass Everyone run and it was one of the most profoundly cursed maps I've ever done

Warrior Goldmary missed every attack she attempted. The whole map. Every attack. Thief Framme failed to dodge multiple 20%s in a row, dying each time, until I reshuffled the RNG enough with rewinds that she finally dodged one. One enemy Sniper was smart enough to ignore Lyn doubles and beeline for Wyvern Lapis, cleanly one-shotting her with a 25% accurate hit.

It wasn't all against me, though, because Sage Chloé got no fewer than five 4% crits.

What a weird run that was

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do the random battles levels work? If you just grind them it increases the level or is it based on your avg team lvl or something? Because the random battles are way more advanced in level than where I am at the main levels.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Random battles scale off Alear's internal level. The listed level will be exactly the same as Alear's if you promoted them at level 20, and x levels lower if you promote them at level 20-x.

Which means they'll cap out at advanced level 10 if you promote them at level 10 and never use a second seal.

Tae posted:

Koyasu sounds more like his youthful roles instead of Just Dio like Seteth was, for context.

Seteth having Dio's voice is somehow still less mad than what the English version did with Jeritza.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Holy poo poo goddamn, just clawed out a victory on Micaiah's Maddening paralogue the moment it unlocked. Hero Goldmary, Wyvern Knight Merrin and Wolf Knight Panette held the left with help from Mage Knight Anna, Sage Pandreo, and Hortensia, while Wyvern Knight Kagetsu and Ivy held the right with help from Martial Master Chloe, Warrior Fogado and Seadall. Alear held the center with war crimes Dragon Vein flames, with Anna popping over to the center to kill anyone that tried to get cute and just walk through. Most of the enemies went left. When the not-Dawn Brigade showed up, I abandoned the left front, with everyone but Panette running back while she headed for the center; from there I was able to lure Micaiah up the center, hit her with Torrential Roar for Draconic Hex, have Kagetsu fly over to finish Micaiah health bar 1, and then Panette took out the last two bars with Seadall dancing.

(It's funny in kind of an annoying way that Micaiah of all people has capped speed in her Paralogue, and that said speed is above basically everyone in my party. I see she's been abusing Bonus EXP. Thankfully, Mulagir should have let Panette double a debuffed Micaiah even before Speedtaker.)

The enemy-only skills on Maddening are getting annoying. Like, putting Lancebreaker on a sword Paladin is very cute, I see what they're doing there and them killing Merrin with it is my own fault for not paying attention when I knew enemy-only skills were a thing, but contradictory Breakers make enemy formations way less readable at a glance. I wish they'd at least keep it consistent with the Break system, so that sword units have Axebreaker and lances Swordbreaker and so on. Breakers seem to be a Paladin thing, so I guess I'll just have to check every single horse unit for skills going forward.

Still, the map was fun. May try to do Roy's next so Kagetsu can get the Binding Blade for enemy phase fun.

Also discovered that enemies seemingly can't see Ike's Resolve skill? There were a number of times in the fight where Goldmary dropped below the trigger with Ragnell equipped for +5 Defense and suddenly enemies were attacking her for 0 damage, even when there weren't any Backups to trigger. I think I may skip Dual Assist on her entirely and just get Pair Up, because with her as my tank she's rarely activating Brave Assist on hard sections anyway.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

blizzardvizard posted:

Vander implies that he's around the same age as Lindon in their support conversation, and Lindon's internal age is 60. Meanwhile Saphir's support convos state that she was a child 30 years ago, so she can't be older than say, 42, or 45 if you're stretching the definition of "child".
I'd say it could still apply to early 50s. Not in the sense of "is actually a child" but more in the sense of "the older you get, the more early twenty-somethings seem like dumb kids to you"

either way, it's safe to say the writers, the people who programmed in the internal age values, and the people who designed the character models may have forgotten to actually talk with one another

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Never believe anime ages, for that way lies madness. Just assume everyone is the age they appear and behave as.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I still sometimes absentmindedly refer to the nineties as ten years ago, so I'm just going to pretend the writers intentionally had her do a similar thing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Random battles scale off Alear's internal level. The listed level will be exactly the same as Alear's if you promoted them at level 20, and x levels lower if you promote them at level 20-x.

Which means they'll cap out at advanced level 10 if you promote them at level 10 and never use a second seal.

Seteth having Dio's voice is somehow still less mad than what the English version did with Jeritza.

Ah that explains it, I guess solo feeding Alear can be deterimental in that sense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finished the game last night and here's my final thoughts until the next wave of DLC:
Story:Absolute garbo. Top to bottom. First fire emblem where I would skip B, A level support conversations. Some good hooks in there, but a whole lot of chaff. Also, why does Granlond have a population? Who's clammoring for Veyle to be queen? The crabs? Which of the four nations declared Terra Nullis and colonized it? Elusia....was it you? Finally able to stop warring with Bordia because you just took the new continent for yourself?
Gameplay:Much preferred three houses. Emblems got the job done but the gacha support rings need to get gone. Also maybe more than 2 slots for inherited skills? Probably breaks the game but it makes it feel like I can put a better stamp on the characters. Overall solid, but without the story keeping me interested it would routinely become boring, which is a flaw of the genre as a whole and not something unique to this game.
Food: Leftovers were good. Gold star.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can't imagine preferring 3Houses gameplay ever

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Can't imagine preferring 3Houses gameplay ever

I can!

It's called 8 Mov canto Wyvern Lords.

And 11 range canto bow knights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I personally vastly prefer Engage's gameplay but for a player who likes character/unit building as part of the game, 3H is going to have more for them. There are plenty of people for whom character building, putting together skill combos, seeing your whole roster go from untrained dorks with no skills to gods by endgame, and things like that are more important to them than map design. (Though for those people I would say "have you played any of the Final Fantasy Tactics games?" because those are just made for that kind of thing, and the character building is by far more interesting than the actual battles in those.)

Just because I understand doesn't mean I agree, but I do understand!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The building part is important but mainly it's that nobody in Engage felt particularly strong to me apart from Panette.

Or basically I like fire emblem where my guys 1rkoing enemies is expected and the game presents obstacles to match rather than a game where I 2rko/3rko enemies.

Because when I'm at that point a tactics game like Tristrat will scratch my itch there better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

He is voiced by Takehito Koyasu, so that should give you some idea of how he sounds.
a cute detail about that is that koyasu's son does some minor background stuff in this game, like generic enemies and the fashion store shopkeep

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A view a friend of mine offered is, in two words, decision paralysis. She feels that the combination of Emblems as active things to use in the field, *and* passive sync skills, *and* inherited skills from SP, *and* some bond rings being worthwhile, *and* juggling proficiencies, *and* second and master seals, *and* the game periodically taking your rings away, all adds up to overwhelming her sense of what units can do, what enemies can do, and how the whole thing works together. She's told me she much prefers the older games where she feels that unit design and gameplay is much more streamlined and intuitive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I'd say it could still apply to early 50s. Not in the sense of "is actually a child" but more in the sense of "the older you get, the more early twenty-somethings seem like dumb kids to you"

either way, it's safe to say the writers, the people who programmed in the internal age values, and the people who designed the character models may have forgotten to actually talk with one another
the internal age values dont actually affect anything and are never referenced or shown in game

its entirely possible the devs put them in at the start of development and then decided against having them do anything and then never updated them as the characters got redesigned or their writing changed. its kind of weird how religiously people are sticking to them as true facts of reality when they're something we wouldn't even know about if the game hadn't gotten datamined.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

A view a friend of mine offered is, in two words, decision paralysis. She feels that the combination of Emblems as active things to use in the field, *and* passive sync skills, *and* inherited skills from SP, *and* some bond rings being worthwhile, *and* juggling proficiencies, *and* second and master seals, *and* the game periodically taking your rings away, all adds up to overwhelming her sense of what units can do, what enemies can do, and how the whole thing works together. She's told me she much prefers the older games where she feels that unit design and gameplay is much more streamlined and intuitive.
i mean the unit design in this game is extremely intuitive, what the emblems offer is extremely straightforward and simple. you dont need to pay attention to every single possible sync skill to understand that ike is the tank guy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s funny, I think I love Engage because I’m at the endgame stretch and I haven’t hit the point where I’m just enemy phase slaughtering everything and just vaguely glancing at enemy numbers/stats before parking my OP units on defensive/neutral terrain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It’s funny, I think I love Engage because I’m at the endgame stretch and I haven’t hit the point where I’m just enemy phase slaughtering everything and just vaguely glancing at enemy numbers/stats before parking my OP units on defensive/neutral terrain.

What difficulty though? Natural 20 played on Maddening I think where getting to that point is a much, much higher bar to clear

(Although I would argue significantly more units can clear it than just Panette and it might come down to what units they used and how they set them up)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

What difficulty though? Natural 20 played on Maddening I think where getting to that point is a much, much higher bar to clear

(Although I would argue significantly more units can clear it than just Panette and it might come down to what units they used and how they set them up)
they're saying they like engage *because* they havent hit that point

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

they're saying they like engage *because* they havent hit that point

oh, what if I could read? that'd be cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Hard/Classic, I’m well aware that isn’t like a huge flex but it still does a good job of pushing the player to use their resources relative to like literally any other FE game on it’s Hard/Normal before Hard = Normal settings.

Except Tharacia I guess!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I had a lot of fun with the game on Hard/Classic. It was pretty close to my ideal difficulty for a first playthrough of a Fire Emblem game, and I'll probably replay it on Hard a good number of times, too. It pushes back just hard enough that I have to pay attention and think and I get to have fun doing that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I went hard in on player phase and was blind to the game. So I missed obvious stuff like reclassing Kagetsu out of swordmaster and a lot of what Ike does. And I did stuff like use both Anna and Jean extensively.

Citrinne with dire thunder was the other big oneshot machine.

What I felt was my approach from the early mid to lategame of engage didn't change very much. I baited packs and chipped them down and set up for a Goddess dance burst turn when I needed it.

In 3H I felt my playstyle change a lot more as my characters grew. The early mid had the baity playstyle I associate with engage but the late had hurling Wyvern Lords at enemy formations and cantoing out.

I both enjoy the variety and the second playstyle more.

I do appreciate that Engage has some lattitude for that, but it's harder to get to than with 3H imo with lower movement and limited canto.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Endorph posted:

the internal age values dont actually affect anything and are never referenced or shown in game

They have a small effect: some of the meals are liked or disliked by all "young" characters (those under the age of 18, apparently) and others are all liked or disliked by "old" characters (basically everybody who is over 30). But I'm not sure anybody would have figured it out without noticing "huh, everybody who is datamined to be 17 or younger likes this"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cythereal posted:

This is a fair and valid point of view. If this position puts your friend, you, or anyone else reading this in discomfort, there are options.

Option 1 is to let go of the pressure, say "gently caress it" and focus on building the skill of improvisation. It's not for everyone, but if you can get over needing to make the "best" decision, and can focus on making the decision that works, then you get a very chaotic play experience that makes you feel smart when you solve the puzzle anyhow. Basically, embrace that you will not make the best decision, and then play to win anyhow.

Option 2 is to play an excellent game that gives you much less say in unit construction. Triangle Strategy looks better every single time I see more about it, it will be my next major game purchase.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Triangle Strategy is great and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes SRPGs.

It also has one of those demos that lets you carry over your progress if you want to try it out first. It lets you play the first three chapters, which includes the first branching path so you get to try out the voting system. The early game is definitely more slow-paced and a little more dry than the later parts, which I think some people have found off-putting in the demo, but personally I liked it from the start.

Hope you like hearing about salt

Oh also, Hard mode in TriStrat is actually hard. Normal mode is reasonably challenging on its own, especially for a first playthrough. I enjoyed Hard mode and it felt fair and well balanced but fair warning it's harder than Engage Hard for sure.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 22, 2023

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Deltasquid posted:

They have a small effect: some of the meals are liked or disliked by all "young" characters (those under the age of 18, apparently) and others are all liked or disliked by "old" characters (basically everybody who is over 30). But I'm not sure anybody would have figured it out without noticing "huh, everybody who is datamined to be 17 or younger likes this"

It does pop up with cooking sometimes saying explicitly that a bonus is being applied only to young characters (or only to old characters) - which you can then scroll to see who the bonus applied to. I think it happening is linked to getting a high quality result.

I think only specific characters give the young/old bonus as they’re always thematic. I believe I had vander cook a meal that then gave an elderly bonus, and maybe Clanne cook one which gave a youth bonus. Definitely had lots of royals give bonuses only to people of their region, and I don’t remember who but someone makes male-only and female-only bonus. I had Framme cook once and it gave a bonus for Divine Dragons which was pretty funnily specific.

Edit: serenes has the list with the targets, it’s Jean and Zelkov who can make the meal for youths and Vander and Merrin make it for older https://serenesforest.net/engage/somniel/cafe-terrace/dish-titles/

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 22, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

Triangle Strategy is great and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes SRPGs.

It also has one of those demos that lets you carry over your progress if you want to try it out first. It lets you play the first three chapters, which includes the first branching path so you get to try out the voting system. The early game is definitely more slow-paced and a little more dry than the later parts, which I think some people have found off-putting in the demo, but personally I liked it from the start.

Hope you like hearing about salt

Oh also, Hard mode in TriStrat is actually hard. Normal mode is reasonably challenging on its own, especially for a first playthrough. I enjoyed Hard mode and it felt fair and well balanced but fair warning it's harder than Engage Hard for sure.

It has a unit that can build ladders.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have no idea if I'm speccing people correctly, probably not, but I don't care anymore in games. someone didn't get their +5 stat because I didn't pick this conversation option, whoops

now I just have to remind myself this every time I play persona

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

It has a unit that can build ladders.

Hell yeah it does, Jens rules

I also like his knockback trap. There are a couple of boss fights you can do some really funny things with by just bouncing them around, it's great

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was about to get triangle strategy but also they released the first front mission and while tristrat sounds exactly like what I'm looking for I need to also consider "wow, cool robot"

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lmao the alpaca's face. "Why is this happening?"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I want to understand the mind of someone living in the parallel dimension of preferring 3 houses gameplay.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They always look like that. The inscrutable bastards.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alpacas ftw

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Release the alpaca knight dlc class, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They do exist!