Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Interesting twitter thread from a Ukrainian officer about Wagner offensive tactics how Ukraine's Soviet legacy can still hinder operations.

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1628289157461078018?s=20

It sounds like the Wagner group just bought a bunch of copies of FM 7-8 and are running classic battle drills, because that's exactly how the US army is taught to attack a bunker or fixed position with a platoon-sized element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do you defend against an attack like that? What are some typical options to consider?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Call in fire support and execute a tactical withdrawal to more defensible positions while causing maximum harm to the attackers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Artificer posted:

How do you defend against an attack like that? What are some typical options to consider?

Neuter the numerical advantage with crew-served weapons, with overlapping fields of fire and good range cards*
“Registering” mortars/artillery, aka pre-planned fire missions on known/suspected/likely avenues of approach, and your final position (“drop it all on me, I’m taking one last swing at these shitheads on the way out”)
all the loving concertina wire, everywhere, forever
Claymores set up as a final defense line, since they’re command-detonated and the wires are never that long. Keeping track of which one is connected to what wires is important!
Obstacles in general. C-wire, claymores, trenches that aren’t straight, foxholes, berms, anti-tank trenches dug beforehand, literally whatever you can manage to slow down someone trying to get close to you. Obstacles are near useless if nobody is watching them and shooting at whoever is getting slowed down (complicating the matter further).

*range card: drawing/representation of some sort that details avenues of approach, obstacles, distances, etc of your given field of fire, so that you can still semi-effectively cover your assigned area even if it’s dark/smoke screens are up/can’t see for whatever other reason.

e: this is if you want to hold the place. If not, “discretion is the better part of valor” is a saying for a reason.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

psydude posted:

It sounds like the Wagner group just bought a bunch of copies of FM 7-8 and are running classic battle drills, because that's exactly how the US army is taught to attack a bunker or fixed position with a platoon-sized element.

Isn't this basically the same tactics used in the Brécourt Manor Assault?

edit: minus the pre-assault artillery barrage

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Fragrag posted:

That's one of the most popular examples, but modern fire and movement tactics can be traced back to the last year of the First World War.

Most people expected the war to drag well into 1919 and beyond until the 100 Days Offensive decisively defeated the German Army on the Western Front.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1628389824875966464

noob question, since these things require such extreme precision, would spent shells even be useful to keep around?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Neuter the numerical advantage with crew-served weapons, with overlapping fields of fire and good range cards*
“Registering” mortars/artillery, aka pre-planned fire missions on known/suspected/likely avenues of approach, and your final position (“drop it all on me, I’m taking one last swing at these shitheads on the way out”)
all the loving concertina wire, everywhere, forever
Claymores set up as a final defense line, since they’re command-detonated and the wires are never that long. Keeping track of which one is connected to what wires is important!
Obstacles in general. C-wire, claymores, trenches that aren’t straight, foxholes, berms, anti-tank trenches dug beforehand, literally whatever you can manage to slow down someone trying to get close to you. Obstacles are near useless if nobody is watching them and shooting at whoever is getting slowed down (complicating the matter further).

*range card: drawing/representation of some sort that details avenues of approach, obstacles, distances, etc of your given field of fire, so that you can still semi-effectively cover your assigned area even if it’s dark/smoke screens are up/can’t see for whatever other reason.

e: this is if you want to hold the place. If not, “discretion is the better part of valor” is a saying for a reason.

This.

You need hardened positions to withstand the incoming. After that, you want to put as many inconveniences into the hemisphere as you can. Another tactic is false trenches- manned positions that are there to draw attention. When assaulted, the force might put up a very token defense and fall back to prepared positions for the counter attack. In WW1, these trenches would often be preplotted for fires, and booby trapped all to hell. The key in trench warfare is control- if you lose a position, the idea is to counter before the enemy has a chance to set security. You can find some lovely accounts of this type if thing in Bernard Fall's 'Hell In A Very Small Place' about the siege and fall of Dien Bien Phu.

I just want to add one of my favorite defensive measure interlocking fields of grazing fire- guns emplacement to shoot through a crawling man, and take the legs out of any dancers that want to encore.

In the simplest terms, you always need 3 things to win a fight. Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action. If you lose one, you drat well better double up the other two. You can complicate it with a lot of details and esotera, but at the muzzle, that's the breakdown.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

This.

You need hardened positions to withstand the incoming. After that, you want to put as many inconveniences into the hemisphere as you can. Another tactic is false trenches- manned positions that are there to draw attention. When assaulted, the force might put up a very token defense and fall back to prepared positions for the counter attack. In WW1, these trenches would often be preplotted for fires, and booby trapped all to hell. The key in trench warfare is control- if you lose a position, the idea is to counter before the enemy has a chance to set security. You can find some lovely accounts of this type if thing in Bernard Fall's 'Hell In A Very Small Place' about the siege and fall of Dien Bien Phu.

I just want to add one of my favorite defensive measure interlocking fields of grazing fire- guns emplacement to shoot through a crawling man, and take the legs out of any dancers that want to encore.

In the simplest terms, you always need 3 things to win a fight. Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action. If you lose one, you drat well better double up the other two. You can complicate it with a lot of details and esotera, but at the muzzle, that's the breakdown.
E-

Fragrag posted:

edit: minus the pre-assault artillery barrage

Brecourt is listed as a textbook assault because it was. It was literally directly from the battle drills. Today, it's in FM 7-8, the Infantry Handbook, the hold scripture passed down through the clerics whose names all have dumb letters after them, like MoH and DSC.

Many, if not most tactics come down to Find, Fix, Finish. From Day 1 at Benning School for Boys, we learn the Psalm of Battle Drill 1-A, Squad Assault. It's the basis of the entire theology of the Infantry. Pour the hate on them so they can't move or defend. Send a second unit through the most covered (both physical and fires) and concealed route, and hit them in place. The support by fire keeps the hate constant, and doesn't stop when the assault force hits- they shift fires to cover the movement of the enemy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

noob question, since these things require such extreme precision, would spent shells even be useful to keep around?

Like, the brass shell casings?

Depends on circumstance, but yes. That poo poo gets policed up and sent to the rear when practical.

The case "only" has to hold the pressure of firing (without blowing up) and not get stuck during loading/unloading. Some casings have a certain lifespan wherein they can be reused after inspection. Cracks, deep scratches, bulges, and stretching leading to a thin wall are all no bueno.

Brass can also be cut up and recycled into fresh metal, if for no other reason than to recoup a bit of money.

Another reason for retaining spent casings is to deny their use to the enemy.

Hell, if you live near a US base that does live fire training you can even buy spent brass to recycle. Whole containers full of it. They make you shred on site so you don't get any funny ideas about reloading them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

... The shells that are hard to make turn into a few tens of thousands of supersonic fragments when the HE charge in them goes off (hopefully) near the target. 155mm artillery doesn't have casings, which is what you are probably thinking of. Loading a gun consists of one guy tossing the shell in the breech, and then someone pushing bags of powder to follow it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The stories that are going to come out of Ukraine after the war is over will be wild. Tweet below contains a video of a Czech company delivering inflatable decoys to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/TarmoFella/status/1628373216740737024?s=20

I have to wonder how effective these are in a drone-saturated environment, and how the dummies relate to Russian MOD claims to have destroyed more HIMARS than have been delivered.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The stories that are going to come out of Ukraine after the war is over will be wild. Tweet below contains a video of a Czech company delivering inflatable decoys to Ukraine.

I have to wonder how effective these are in a drone-saturated environment, and how the dummies relate to Russian MOD claims to have destroyed more HIMARS than have been delivered.

If the piece I read is to be believed Ukraine went quite a bit further than inflatable decoys for their HIMARS launchers. Full scale working trucks with wooden launcher-shaped boxes on the back covered with a layer of sheet metal and, for some reason, a heat source inside the box.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Artificer posted:

Mortars mortars mortars and call for fire from the big guns.

e;fb but it is the one true way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird food bathtub posted:

If the piece I read is to be believed Ukraine went quite a bit further than inflatable decoys for their HIMARS launchers. Full scale working trucks with wooden launcher-shaped boxes on the back covered with a layer of sheet metal and, for some reason, a heat source inside the box.

The heat source would be to simulate the heat signature of the actual launching equipment, I assume. Turn it on and it resembles a launcher cooling off firing.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 22, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inflatable decoys use heated air for the same reason. Pretty simple trick.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyway, everything old is new again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltiQ2dOpOc

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The heat source would be to simulate the heat signature of the actual launching equipment, I assume.

Sooner or later someone’s going to have to spoof the radio signature of one of them for the decoy to draw fire (in addition to the thermal signature). Just repeating nonsense on unused channels, maybe, but it’ll happen sooner or later (if it hasn’t already).

I’m sure you could spoof a HIMARS firing too, they’ve got to have a fairly specific bloom across a bunch of EM spectra if you’re looking at it from something with decent optics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IPCRESS posted:

On Western munitions:

At what point do Western governments say "This Vladimir guy certainly thinks it's the cold war again. Maybe we should take him as a man of his word this one time. 3 shifts/day, 6 days/week, top off the magazines"?

Is there some truly terrifying sunk cost to spinning up production? Or is it already happening but that headline doesn't get clicks?

Yes, but it's happening anyway, in some areas.

We're spinning up ammunition production. We're not spinning up advanced major weapons systems production. As far as terrifying costs...the F-22 was killed at the point that economies of scale were about to kick in. The F-35 fortunately survived beyond that, but those production lines probably don't have a lot of room to ramp up. Tanks are weird because as discussed a while ago we never stopped building them, even after we stopped needing new ones; but the systems that go inside the hull are a different story, and a lot more complicated to spin up.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

On Western munitions:

At what point do Western governments say "This Vladimir guy certainly thinks it's the cold war again. Maybe we should take him as a man of his word this one time. 3 shifts/day, 6 days/week, top off the magazines"?

Is there some truly terrifying sunk cost to spinning up production? Or is it already happening but that headline doesn't get clicks?

In Finland most of ammo manufacturing has been running in three shifts at maximum capacity for a while now. But true is not simple to just invest to expand production capacity unless you go in to 'war economy' mode and can guarantee contracts that continue long enough to pay for the investment.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yup, nobody wants to retool a factory for twelve months of production unless the government gives them a lot of money.

That being said, we have a LOT of factories we can spin up if the government wants to foot the bill.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Artificer posted:

I may have missed it, but while others have mentioned interlocking fire, I don't think anyone mentioned that a position like that should always be mutually interlocking with other trenches. The example in the picture would be a lot harder to attack with even the slightest fire coming at the red support group from another angle.

This is why the comments about positions being laid out remotely is bad. A position that looks good on a map or aerial photo might turn out to be a deathtrap on the ground. Anywhere that's going to be defended for any length of time the unit commanders should be laying out positions on the ground.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In my head I'm hearing "Inflatable HIMARS" to the tune of "Detachable Penis".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tuna-Fish posted:

... The shells that are hard to make turn into a few tens of thousands of supersonic fragments when the HE charge in them goes off (hopefully) near the target. 155mm artillery doesn't have casings, which is what you are probably thinking of. Loading a gun consists of one guy tossing the shell in the breech, and then someone pushing bags of powder to follow it.

I was using the wrong term, sorry

Midjack posted:

In my head I'm hearing "Inflatable HIMARS" to the tune of "Detachable Penis".

And calling everyone I could think of,
I was starting to get very depressed,
So I went to the Kiev, and ate breakfast.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

In recent news:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1628545672386420738

The fuckers cannot stop slamming their dick in a drawer.

Here's some hot Thermoberic action:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1628259323691380736

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

On Western munitions:

US is increasing the production of 155 six fold
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/us/politics/pentagon-ukraine-ammunition.html

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Artificer posted:

Another really good option is to give ground but charge as high a price as you possibly can, and have a counter attack ready to go before the enemy can consolidate their position.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

We're not spinning up advanced major weapons systems production. As far as terrifying costs...the F-22 was killed at the point that economies of scale were about to kick in. The F-35 fortunately survived beyond that, but those production lines probably don't have a lot of room to ramp up.

As an aside, the 1000th F-35 is in the production line.

That’s kind of amazing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
F-35 production isn't in full-rate, but it looks like whether it's called full-rate or not, ~156 per year is where it will sit from 2023 until the foreseeable future.

And costs are likely to start going up rather than down, as economies of scale come to grips with inflation and select supply chain shortages and price changes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Action-Bastard posted:

In recent news:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1628545672386420738

The fuckers cannot stop slamming their dick in a drawer.

Here's some hot Thermoberic action:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1628259323691380736

That second video - if you'd put that in a Michael Bay movie I'd call it bullshit and unrealistic. Like paper mache doused in gasoline and you want me to sit in where, to do WHAT? Uhhh no.

Luv2burnbby

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

question- are drone operations integrated that thoroughly now into US infantry SOP? Like down to platoon/squad level?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

question- are drone operations integrated that thoroughly now into US infantry SOP? Like down to platoon/squad level?

"Conduct a reconnaissance" has always been a part of the Troop Leading Procedures. Whether you're using a drone, maps, aircraft, or the naked eye is really up to whatever resources you've got available at the time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

psydude posted:

"Conduct a reconnaissance" has always been a part of the Troop Leading Procedures. Whether you're using a drone, maps, aircraft, or the naked eye is really up to whatever resources you've got available at the time.

By this point in the Ukraine SMO, I'd expect any self-respecting US Army infantry platoon has at least passed the hat to order a quadcopter from Amazon. For a couple of hundred bucks you can get good quality visible-light video with a range of several km, that's huge. Based on five-star reviews, thermal imaging is $3k or so, maybe less. The ability to have something with thermal imaging hovering 100m over your command squad is a sea change in infantry tactics. Military grade is more capable and more expensive, but COTS is on the front lines right now. This kind of as hoc employment of a new system is going to feed the development of doctrine and therefor procurement for years.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

luv2keepoilyragsallovermyifv

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

We've been using Black Hornets for a while now, and they are loving amazing. Mailorder drones are nice, but thermal imaging and microsized drones that are barely detectable *chef kiss*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Force de Fappe posted:

We've been using Black Hornets for a while now, and they are loving amazing. Mailorder drones are nice, but thermal imaging and microsized drones that are barely detectable *chef kiss*

I think most people hugely underestimate just how all-in the US is on drones, at every level. And has been, it's not exactly a new thing, either.

As an aside, I remember the better part of a decade ago seeing Syrians post pictures of an abandoned black hornet (among other leftover american drones) that would turn up after someone had been doing stuff in the area. It was an unusually direct window into who was doing what where for a little while.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 23, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The problem with commercial drones is that the operator is trivially easy to locate with an even cheaper commercial SDR, let alone proper military ELINT.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

By this point in the Ukraine SMO, I'd expect any self-respecting US Army infantry platoon has at least passed the hat to order a quadcopter from Amazon. For a couple of hundred bucks you can get good quality visible-light video with a range of several km, that's huge. Based on five-star reviews, thermal imaging is $3k or so, maybe less. The ability to have something with thermal imaging hovering 100m over your command squad is a sea change in infantry tactics. Military grade is more capable and more expensive, but COTS is on the front lines right now. This kind of as hoc employment of a new system is going to feed the development of doctrine and therefor procurement for years.

There were trials of small drones down to the company and platoon level ~30 years ago when I was in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Post has an brief interview with two captured Wagner fighters. I've bolded one part in particular that's pretty :stare:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/02/23/wagner-mercenaries-captives-war-ukraine/

quote:

DONETSK REGION, Ukraine — The two men lay on the dirty tile floor of an empty office, still in their bloodied combat fatigues and bandages. One dozed without a pillow under a blanket; the other stretched out with a tourniquet strapped above the knee of his blood-soaked pants.

The men were two of three Russian fighters with the Wagner mercenary group who had been captured a few hours earlier in a northern section of the embattled city of Bakhmut, according to a Ukrainian officer with a sidearm on his hip, who was the only other person present. The third, more seriously injured, had been taken to a hospital, the officer said.

The men had injuries that appeared to be battlefield shrapnel wounds. One had his hands tightly bound with green tape; the other was not bound and accepted a cigarette from the officer.

“Do you want to smoke? Water?” the officer asked in Russian after a group of Washington Post journalists entered the ground-floor room with clearance from Ukrainian officials. “They want to interview you.”

Over the next hour in the predawn dark of Monday, after being questioned by Ukrainian intelligence and while they waited for another unit to pick them up for further medical care and administrative processing, the two captives gave a rare detailed account of their experience as Russian ex-convicts recruited by the mercenary group and rushed to the front lines.

As President Vladimir Putin’s raging war on Ukraine has decimated his regular army — with up to 200,000 killed and injured, according to British military intelligence — he has scoured jails and prison colonies for new fighters. Promised pardons in exchange for fighting, convicts make up an estimated 80 percent of Wagner’s force of 50,000, which has led a fierce months-long assault on Bakhmut.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine sent shockwaves around the world as millions of refugees fled the country, grain shipments were delayed and Russian gas curtailed. (Video: Jason Aldag/The Washington Post)
Roughly half of the group’s prison recruits have been killed or injured, according to the British estimate. Fewer have been captured.

These two, just hours from the battlefield, were by turns contrite and defensive. They said they believed what they had been told in Russia about “the horrors” being inflicted on Russian-speaking Ukrainian civilians by the Ukrainian military — one of the Kremlin’s main justifications for the war. But they said that they cared more about wiping clean their criminal records with a six-month contract as Wagner fighters, and that getting out of jail was worth the risk of the immediate death penalty Wagner said it would impose if they failed to fight on command.

“I didn’t even have to think about it,” one said of the chance to leave his cell for the battle lines of a country he had never visited.

Thousands of civilians fled Ukraine’s front lines. These people returned.

In interviews, they gave firsthand confirmation of reports of Wagner’s brutal terms of compliance, which they said included being shown videos of Wagner enforcers beating the hands and heads of reluctant fighters with sledgehammers. One of the men said he watched a friend taken off to be shot — or “zeroed”— by a Wagner enforcement team for protesting deployments that sometimes led to hundreds of fighters a day being killed in and around Bakhmut.

The two said the assassination policy had eased in recent weeks as Wagner lost shocking numbers of fighters in combat. The interviews also offered some of the first direct testimony by ex-convicts sent by Russia to fight in Ukraine. One Wagner fighter has sought to defect to Norway, but there have been few firsthand accounts of the group’s recruitment or its battlefield practices.

A Ukrainian official facilitated the interviews in response to a request by Post journalists to speak with surrendered or captured Wagner fighters. There were no preconditions set, and the meeting was consistent with Ukraine’s efforts to document the nature of the Russia’s invading forces, including by granting journalists access to prisoner of war detention centers. Unlike those sessions, prearranged by Ukrainian officials in Western Ukraine, this meeting was hastily organized at the front within hours of the men being taken into custody in the combat zone.

The Washington Post was able to independently verify key parts of the two captives’ accounts in Russian public databases, including birth certificates and criminal records of two men with the same first and last names, which were consistent with their stories. Other assertions could not be independently confirmed.

The Post is withholding their last names and not showing their faces in photographs because of the risk of reprisal and to respect the Geneva Conventions, which call for prisoners of war “to be … protected against insults and public curiosity.”

During the interviews, the armed Ukrainian officer guarding the men remained within earshot in the next room. He occasionally came to interject his own questions for the prisoners or to share information he said they had provided during interrogation. Each man said he was willing of his own accord to answer questions about his experiences.

“Nobody forced me to be here,” one of the men, Mikhail, 35, said of his presence fighting in Ukraine. “I made my own choice.”

For Mikhail and the other captive, Ilya, 30, their transformation — from convicts to combatants, prisoners to prisoners of war — began in the penal colonies where they were serving sentences for alcohol-related deaths.

Ilya, 30, a tree cutter with two daughters from the Smolensk Region, said he had been serving six years for “drunk driving” after wrecking his motorcycle while intoxicated and killing his brother, a passenger. Court records in Smolensk confirm that someone with his name was convicted of “driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated … which negligently caused the death of a person.”

Mikhail, who said he never held a regular job, said he had drunkenly beaten a man to death in a fight in his home near Chita, in Russia’s Far East. Records from Chita regional courts confirm a July 2021 conviction in his name for the “intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm, negligently resulting in the death of the victim.”

He was less than two years into his nine-year sentence last October when inmates known as “goats,” who cooperate with the guards, ushered dozens of convicts into the prison yard of Penal Colony No. 7 in time to see a helicopter descending on the grounds.

As Russians inch forward near Bakhmut, Ukrainians dig fallback defenses

Yevgeniy Prigozhin, the founder of the Wagner Group emerged and came to address the assembled crowd. It was shortly after Ukrainian’s autumn counteroffensives had pushed Russian forces from much of Kharkiv and Kherson regions, and the Kremlin was desperate for new fighters.

Prigozhin told the prisoners that he came with President Vladimir Putin’s offer to “wipe the slate clean” of criminal convictions for anyone signing up to fight.

Mikhail also heard Prigozhin promise that anyone who ran away from the front would immediately “go to zero,” the Wagner term for assassinating its own men. Within 10 days, he was on a flight to western Russian, far from his wife and four children in the East, and by November he was in occupied eastern Ukraine.

Ilya arrived in Ukraine a month later, after other Wagner recruiters came to his prison. In addition to erasing his conviction, he expected to be paid more than $1,300 a month as an infantry man, and up to $1,200 more in bonuses for taking out an enemy position or blowing up a vehicle.

Before taking up his Kalashnikov assault rifle, Ilya went through a short stint of infantry training in a stretch of occupied Ukrainian forest with Wagner professionals who had fought in Syria and Africa. Neither he nor Mikhail saw any sign of regular Russian military units in their time fighting with Wagner.

Ilya was one of the fighters responsible for locating Ukrainian troops. But with one drone for his entire unit and no other targeting gear, his only option was to advance under fire until he sighted the enemy with his own eyes. Most days were a slaughter, he said.

On one occasion, more than 400 of his fellow fighters were killed over 72 hours while trying to storm the village of Krasna Hora, he said, with many of the corpses left lying in the snow. Ilya said he ran past several dead men that he recognized.

When some fighters complained, punishment was swift. One of Ilya’s friends from the Smolensk prison, a 24-year-old known by the nickname Kozan, was one of 10 fighters pulled aside after joining in a riot over conditions.

“The written contract could not be violated,” said Ilya, who said he was shown videos of Wagner officers hanging alleged defectors from balconies, breaking their hands or battering them to death. There have been numerous videos, consistent with his description, posted on social media.

“I had thoughts of running away, but they have information about my family, my children,” he said.

Mikhail had similar experiences, being moved frequently to fight around Bakhmut and the Donetsk region that Putin has reportedly pledged to conquer by the spring.

The only significant change, he said, was an apparent loosening of the kill policy that Wagner inflicted on rule breakers as the demands for soldiers continued to soar. Starting just before the New Year, those caught using drugs or alcohol had their contracts extended by several months with no additional pay. Even deserters got a reprieve, Mikhail said.

“Zeroing was canceled,” he said. “Probably because there weren’t enough people.”

Mikhail and Ilya did not fight together, but found themselves in the same push to gain ground on Sunday. Mikhail reached a Ukrainian trench and jumped, only see a red flare go off when one of the Russians hit a trip wire.

Within minutes, a drone flew overhead and dropped a grenade. A second explosion knocked him unconscious, and he was picked up by Ukrainians soon after his head cleared.

Ilya said he was caught in a mortar attack after being ordered to storm a tree line concealing Ukrainian fighters. He was hit in the upper rear thigh. Other Wagner fighters fled, he said. Ukrainian soldiers provided first aid after taking him into captivity. Thick bandages covered the wound at the time of the interview.

Prigozhin earlier this month announced on a Telegram messaging channel controlled by his company, Concord, that Wagner was no longer recruiting fighters from Russian prisons, without giving a reason. Ilya said he would advise other convicts not sign up. For one thing, he said he has never been paid.

“I personally did not receive a single ruble from my salary,” he said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Not paying your soldiers has never resulted in anything bad in history anyway.