Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hackan Slash posted:

This seasons story content is on the right side of the helm. Imo I would go through it far enough to get revision zero at least. The big thing you want to do though is get the ikelos smg pattern from the resonant stems because it's possibly the best pvp and pve primary?

Got it. This stuff is a little hard though, am I missing where I can matchmake for it do I just have to get gooder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sometimes a pubbie will throw a revive at my buddy i play with a lot, but that's more an indictment on him than it is praise of the blueberry

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

Got it. This stuff is a little hard though, am I missing where I can matchmake for it do I just have to get gooder?

The basic heist stuff has matchmaking. The legend difficulty heists do not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Black Griffon posted:

You should be able to matchmake the Heists, but the missions don't have it. I soloed them all, but if you've got buddies on hand it'll probably take less time!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only people that this will "affect" in any way are the players that are literally not engaging with any of the game mechanics and are just vibing with a gun that goes pew pew and armor that looks cool with like no semlance of a build and zero mods added.
That's all new players who don't understand the game yet, and how long do you think games tend to last when they piss off new players trying to get through the basic activities? Especially when the game is that bad at explaining these systems to new players?

I'm just going off the two people I know IRL who've tried Destiny 2, but my wife just hands the controller to me for activities that have "loadout bullshit" involved, and the other person tried f2p at the start of this season and said "a lot of the peripheral mechanics seem convoluted and messy" and he's someone who's actually into gaming as a challenge.

I'm so glad someone in the last thread came up with the phrase 'loadout puzzle' because it perfectly encapsulates the sphynx riddle the game presents you with when starting a new activity, so that you don't end up stuck trying to take out a sniper with a shotgun and smg, because they're the guns that have champ mods or a buff or a bounty or quest step or need levelling or deepsight extracting or whatever.

And yes, every time it gets brought up, seasoned players laugh at the idea of someone not switching to a bow or bringing a long-range option, but the idea of bringing different weapons for different ranges, or having different weapons with different DPS rates for tougher enemies is something I had to explain to my wife. Most players don't have DIM or the app to transfer from the vault.

There are so many fundamentals we had to learn that we've forgotten we even had to learn them. Destiny already has a loadout puzzle, it doesn't need additional layers piled on top especially for the lowest difficulty tier if they're also removing adept difficulty where you don't have to worry about these things.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
loadout sudoku is awful between bounties, singes, OVERCHARGE or whatever is coming next etc, though maybe being essentially forced to take particular guns cuts down on the optimizing puzzle part and is moreso just a matter of "do I have a void shotgun/pulse/rocket"

Having an incentive to use different kit is good and all considering the existent weapon variety but sometimes I just wanna use my faves. And yeah it's miserable for newcomers experiencing choice paralysis and overwhelmed with all the different systems

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's all new players who don't understand the game yet, and how long do you think games tend to last when they piss off new players trying to get through the basic activities? Especially when the game is that bad at explaining these systems to new players?

I don't know about that. The game has been hostile to new players since shadowkeep. Still keeps going somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
loadout sudoku is old hat, all the cool kids are playing loadout wordle

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean part of the reason why loadout sudoku sucks is the lack of a dedicated loadout system so I'm hoping Lightfall changes that, but I think increasing the difficulty on the lower end when we already have a ton of players who couldn't figure out Heist Battlegrounds is a terrible idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm just going off the two people I know IRL who've tried Destiny 2, but my wife just hands the controller to me for activities that have "loadout bullshit" involved, and the other person tried f2p at the start of this season and said "a lot of the peripheral mechanics seem convoluted and messy" and he's someone who's actually into gaming as a challenge.

I'm so glad someone in the last thread came up with the phrase 'loadout puzzle' because it perfectly encapsulates the sphynx riddle the game presents you with when starting a new activity, so that you don't end up stuck trying to take out a sniper with a shotgun and smg, because they're the guns that have champ mods or a buff or a bounty or quest step or need levelling or deepsight extracting or whatever.

And yes, every time it gets brought up, seasoned players laugh at the idea of someone not switching to a bow or bringing a long-range option, but the idea of bringing different weapons for different ranges, or having different weapons with different DPS rates for tougher enemies is something I had to explain to my wife. Most players don't have DIM or the app to transfer from the vault.

There are so many fundamentals we had to learn that we've forgotten we even had to learn them. Destiny already has a loadout puzzle, it doesn't need additional layers piled on top especially for the lowest difficulty tier if they're also removing adept difficulty where you don't have to worry about these things.

The entirety of the in-game loadouts and guardian ranks and journeys with Lightfall are specifically to talk new players through each and every mechanic. Like this is a stated goal of Lightfall, to make learning the game and interacting with the mechanics not complete garbage entirely reliant on third party sites.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
the loadout system can't account for every possibility though. Does no one else try to optimize for bounties? Because I have a different setup going through rituals every day, it's a hell of a lot more than 10 or whatever it is

It'd be fine for just having a few "favourite" builds, or at least a generic/base to revert back to after tweaking every little thing for one particular activity. But that's today's sandbox

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doing bounties generally shouldn't require you to tweak your armor mods, which is the most complicated and time-consuming part and the part saved loadouts helps the most with. If you just have to get 10 kills with whatever it doesn't really matter if they have anti-champion properties or if they're the right element to generate wells or etc

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The entirety of the in-game loadouts and guardian ranks and journeys with Lightfall are specifically to talk new players through each and every mechanic. Like this is a stated goal of Lightfall, to make learning the game and interacting with the mechanics not complete garbage entirely reliant on third party sites.
I mean yes, hopefully it does adequately teach new players to interact with those systems, but knowing how to deal with those systems doesn't make them less poo poo, and that's my primary gripe.

Having to pass your exams first just seems like a good way to drive out all the casual players and leave yourself with only the most toxic parts of your fanbase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean yes, hopefully it does adequately teach new players to interact with those systems, but knowing how to deal with those systems doesn't make them less poo poo, and that's my primary gripe.

Having to pass your exams first just seems like a good way to drive out all the casual players and leave yourself with only the most toxic parts of your fanbase.

I honestly can't tell what you're arguing/hoping for here if "we're updating how the game teaches you how to play" is seen as an exam that will drive people away or why should we even cater/care for players that refuse to engage/learn the game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
This whole situation smacks of Airborne Effectiveness to me again, how Airborne Effectiveness was loving up everything for multiple seasons and saw multiple slight, discrete changes before they threw up their hands and went "actually AE on primaries loving sucks like everyone's been telling us for 6 months, so we're effectively removing it", just like we all knew they'd do eventually. Why they didn't just single out a nerf for Stomp-ees and call it a day is a mystery for the ages.

I can understand the logic behind a design philosophy of making pretty broad changes to fundamental sandbox and content presentation and then iterating on that as time goes on and faults and failings in those changes are revealed and tuning opportunities present themselves. I get it.

My problem with this is that the way they do this basically means everyone just has a shittier time until it's fixed. Nearly every time the entire loving player population immediately points out the incredibly blatant and self-evident problems that have somehow escaped the understanding of the Bungie devs, they are almost always right, and the devs almost always back down because the metrics prove them right over time. Prestige raid lair weapon lockouts didn't stick around. Champion mods on weapons didn't stick around. Airborne effectiveness didn't stick around.

Breaking poo poo happens immediately, fixing broken poo poo oh we need to take our time with that and be cautious. We're going to monitor feedback for legend lost sectors and Nightfalls before adjusting rewards, you see.

Here we are again; the problems are self-evident because they mirror problems we've had before, they'll get rolled back over a season or two, and we're staring down the barrel of what will probably be an objectively Worse Time until that happens. It's anti-hype, which isn't really something you want 6 days before a new expansion. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I have a lot of historical data here that suggests Bungie has never really learned their lesson on this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are my 3 strikes still going to give me a +1 Pinnacle

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

CottonWolf posted:

You should be able to matchmake the Heists, but the missions don't have it. I soloed them all, but if you've got buddies on hand it'll probably take less time!

Yeah I reckon I could've pulled the first one off, but I'm definitely out of practice, and it was practically the third thing I did after reinstalling (and the second thing was a regular rear end patrol). I got stressed out and fumbled the bag because I had a limited amount of time before heading to work, and I was using some rags I picked up off the ground after the witch queen intro.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly can't tell what you're arguing/hoping for here if "we're updating how the game teaches you how to play" is seen as an exam that will drive people away or why should we even cater/care for players that refuse to engage/learn the game.
I'm saying forcing (or encouraging to the point it becomes mandatory) players to restrict their gear to meet arbitrarily set criteria is a bad thing. Knowing how to correctly restrict your loadout does not make the restriction good or even neutral, it's still a bad unfun thing.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

sunday at work posted:

This is another thing they don't ever seem to get. Players are going to optimize damage in the best way they can and only that way because you built your Fantasy MMORPG inside and arena shooter engine so every class is glass-cannon ranged DPS and the only thing they have to do is the most damage. No one cares about rotators or class flavor during the boss fight. Just let me use the stuff I think is fun FFS.

If you want variety in player choices you need to offer variety in player actions, not just different damage vaules.

Remember how there were a couple seasons during Beyond Light where close-ranged DPS like swords and shotguns also worked well, and they hated it so much they increased stomp damage or some poo poo, so everyone switched to linears only, and now they hate that?

Remember how rockets worked well against Daughters, and they hosed with it so only linears work, and now they're nerfing linears?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Everyone's just talking about theoreticals here though, right? No one actually knows how any of this is gonna turn out?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Black Griffon posted:

Everyone's just talking about theoreticals here though, right? No one actually knows how any of this is gonna turn out?

yeah we just need to complain about something in order to post at all since there's nothing happening in the game

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Black Griffon posted:

Probably the same way it always turns out, OP

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Just wrapped up the final seasonal mission on my 3rd character, and it loaded me to the Annex landing site in the tower. Can't recall ever landing here before unless specifically requested. Neat?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm definitely in a bit of wait-and-see regarding most stuff, but it's really hard not to fear "harder difficulty for the same content and rewards you've done 100 times before." When was the last time a vanguard weapon was particular cool/exciting/meta?

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Remember how there were a couple seasons during Beyond Light where close-ranged DPS like swords and shotguns also worked well, and they hated it so much they increased stomp damage or some poo poo, so everyone switched to linears only, and now they hate that?

Remember how rockets worked well against Daughters, and they hosed with it so only linears work, and now they're nerfing linears?
Yeah, the linear nerf kind of bugs me because of course linears are good if you make fights where players have burst windows to do precision damage.

Make a boss with no crit spot. Make a boss that's less dangerous the closer you are (like, maybe don't have a stomp, like once.)

Granted, Linears were probably a bit too good in ways that make it hard to balance everything else, but rockets on taniks feel like evidence that the div nerf + fight design can be enough to push them out as king.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm saying forcing (or encouraging to the point it becomes mandatory) players to restrict their gear to meet arbitrarily set criteria is a bad thing. Knowing how to correctly restrict your loadout does not make the restriction good or even neutral, it's still a bad unfun thing.

I am once again asking what exactly do you want out of this game. Or any game for that matter.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Trench barrel on the original Ikelos shotgun is what made them invent the stomp in the first place. Bungie needs to realize that if all the big encounters of the game follow the pattern of "do a puzzle mechanic for 2 minutes" -> "get 30 seconds to damage the boss", people are going to shove as much damage into that 30 second window as possible to avoid doing an extra round of plate holding or symbol shouting or whatever. Encounter design is what should encourage different loadouts.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PERMACAV 50 posted:

yeah we just need to complain about something in order to post at all since there's nothing happening in the game

I'm in this post

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, but we're also weighing it against the years of ~:bungie:iteration~ which is a pretty well known pattern of ineptitude. If it doesn't suck poo poo, hooray, but their track record is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Like, sure, this could be ok. But with all the moving parts they're loving with while not addressing certain QOL concerns it paints a pretty specific picture. I don't see me moving away from using DIM since it's functionally superior to what they've said is coming, the surge/whatever bs and added difficulty sounds like we're moving back towards raid lair loadout restrictions but instead of a complete lockout you just won't do damage worth a poo poo if you're not following the seasonal scripted meta they've decided to impose, and if the rewards are still lackluster for the time invested plus no drop protection for pinnacles and slots then this is just a lateral move at best.

I WANT to be wrong, so very badly. The story is cool af, the physics of the game are still head and shoulders above anything else that can compete in this market, and the skyboxes are phenomenal. Constantly getting hamstrung for a couple of seasons while they walk poo poo back isn't fun, and it keeps happening.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm actually totally OK with strikes being harder if a Vanguard Reset is only 15 strikes now instead of like 80

Like if they can't think of a better way to make them More Rewarding until a future season™ then just put an extra zero at the end of all vanguard rep gains

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I guess my thing is that I've been here from the start, with a big break that saw me skip Shadowkeep and another that had me skip Witch Queen, and I've always been happy just zooming around, shooting my guns. The oblivious and blissful fool. You should all be like me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Some more strand information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aKpVHVDm4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm actually totally OK with strikes being harder if a Vanguard Reset is only 15 strikes now instead of like 80

It sounds like they are actually doing this, with the strike scoring bit. Unless they do something dumb like reduce the base rep, or the changes making strikes take a lot longer (they probably won't, for all the doomsaying), veteran players will probably rank up faster than before

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I started playing Destiny 2 again after a very long hiatus. I quit during the period of the first raid in Destiny 2.

I bought all the DCL that seemed to have the unique I wanted, but there is so much content, and a billion currencies it's difficult to know what I should be doing to get myself where I need to be to do end game content properly.

Right now my goal is to hit max level, not do any raids, but maybe some dungeons, and also get as many of the unique weapons as I can without doing a raid.

I may start raiding again at some point, but I have nightmares about 5 hour raid fails that I don't want to revisit.

Are there are weapons I should be going for in particular, unique or otherwise? I like playing Warlock, I'm currently at ~1410 for my gear level.

I have no idea how to craft stuff, or what I should craft, I read that crafted weapons are usually better than found and then upgraded weapons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hamelekim posted:

Are there are weapons I should be going for in particular, unique or otherwise? I like playing Warlock, I'm currently at ~1410 for my gear level.

I have no idea how to craft stuff, or what I should craft, I read that crafted weapons are usually better than found and then upgraded weapons.

Crafting is tied to the Witch Queen campaign. Do that and you’ll see how the Enclave / crafting / shaping weapon works. Then go hit the Dares of Eternity for a BXR because it’s so good for Solar warlock.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Crafting is tied to the Witch Queen campaign. Do that and you’ll see how the Enclave / crafting / shaping weapon works. Then go hit the Dares of Eternity for a BXR because it’s so good for Solar warlock.

Is there a meta for Warlocks in regards to which element I should be using? I do like Solar the most personally.

Edit: Also I've been using the auto scout rifle from the raiding I did before I quit, the gold and white one, but for some reason it's one of the few weapons that I can't seem to increase the level on. Can I not use it on higher level content because it's locked to a lower level? Is there a way to level it up because I really like using it.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 22, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Hamelekim posted:

Is there a meta for Warlocks in regards to which element I should be using? I do like Solar the most personally.

all of the elements have their niches, arc less so but it's still good, the other 3 are just really good. Solar tends to be the default for raids because well is really strong.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i get some of the trepidation but c'mon, right now in patrol/low nightfall content it takes like 3 auto rifle bullets to crack a shield; making it take 6 instead for a mismatched element doesn't really sound like "match game everywhere!" to me

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

PathAsc posted:

Yeah, but we're also weighing it against the years of ~:bungie:iteration~ which is a pretty well known pattern of ineptitude. If it doesn't suck poo poo, hooray, but their track record is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Like, sure, this could be ok. But with all the moving parts they're loving with while not addressing certain QOL concerns it paints a pretty specific picture. I don't see me moving away from using DIM since it's functionally superior to what they've said is coming, the surge/whatever bs and added difficulty sounds like we're moving back towards raid lair loadout restrictions but instead of a complete lockout you just won't do damage worth a poo poo if you're not following the seasonal scripted meta they've decided to impose, and if the rewards are still lackluster for the time invested plus no drop protection for pinnacles and slots then this is just a lateral move at best.

I WANT to be wrong, so very badly. The story is cool af, the physics of the game are still head and shoulders above anything else that can compete in this market, and the skyboxes are phenomenal. Constantly getting hamstrung for a couple of seasons while they walk poo poo back isn't fun, and it keeps happening.

Yeah. They clearly have a bug up their rear end about trying to keep players from just sticking to one loadout for everything forever. They keep trying to design ways to "encourage" players to use other loadouts, which always suck poo poo, so they try something else, and that always sucks poo poo too. That's how we got sunsetting, that's how we got the raid lairs idea you mentioned, etc.

Until something changes that means they finally realize that "a new player finds a gun they like and never switches off of it so they never see the rest of the game!" is a made up idea, they're going to keep making these dumb as hell design compromises for the sake of a hypothetical with no actual consequences even if it came true. Fundamentally, they think that people using the same loadout for everything is a real problem that needs to be addressed. It isn't, and people* keep telling them to please, stop making us constantly jump through these hoops, and they just don't seem to care enough.

It always feels like Destiny is about a year away from being really good, but by the time a year has passed, there's new problems, half of which they've introduced intentionally. So catching up to where the game feels like it should be at takes forever, even just in terms of quality of life features.

*I don't want to be a "just listen to the community!" person, the community largely sucks. But there's a difference between listening about things the community wants added, and things the community wants removed. Ideas from the community for new stuff are almost always undercooked and idiotic. Things in the game that the players want removed are a lot more straightforward, because we already know all the consequences of their implementation, and while removing them might have a few unforeseen effects, it's a lot less total unknowns than adding stuff.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 22, 2023

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Edit: Also I've been using the auto scout rifle from the raiding I did before I quit, the gold and white one, but for some reason it's one of the few weapons that I can't seem to increase the level on. Can I not use it on higher level content because it's locked to a lower level? Is there a way to level it up because I really like using it.

Unfortunately the oldest gear in the game that can still be leveled up is from Forsaken's raid, The Last Wish. Around Shadowkeep they started to realize that some toys they'd given players were too difficult to balance and decided to wipe the board by instituting a cap on old weapons while raising the power of new activities. Your scout is going to serve you alright in patrol zones, but for anything past that you will probably want new gear.

The good news is that they also patched in full-auto on everything as an accessibility measure. It's somewhere in settings. So if you find another scout you like, you at least won't be missing the full-auto perk.

E: Also, as another poster said, it's difficult to go wrong with Warlock subclasses. Well of Radiance + Fusion Grenades + Starfire Protocol + that aspect that makes grenades explode twice is an excellent starting point for any Solar build you might want to experiment with.

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Yeah. They clearly have a bug up their rear end about trying to keep players from just sticking to one loadout for everything forever. They keep trying to design ways to "encourage" players to use other loadouts, which always suck poo poo, so they try something else, and that always sucks poo poo too. That's how we got sunsetting, that's how we got the raid lairs idea you mentioned, etc.

Until something changes that means they finally realize that "a new player finds a gun they like and never switches off of it so they never see the rest of the game!" is a made up idea, they're going to keep making these dumb as hell design compromises for the sake of a hypothetical with no actual consequences even if it came true. Fundamentally, they think that people using the same loadout for everything is a real problem that needs to be addressed. It isn't, and people* keep telling them to please, stop making us constantly jump through these hoops, and they just don't seem to care enough.

It always feels like Destiny is about a year away from being really good, but by the time a year has passed, there's new problems, half of which they've introduced intentionally. So catching up to where the game feels like it should be at takes forever, even just in terms of quality of life features.

*I don't want to be a "just listen to the community!" person, the community largely sucks. But there's a difference between listening about things the community wants added, and things the community wants removed. Ideas from the community for new stuff are almost always undercooked and idiotic. Things in the game that the players want removed are a lot more straightforward, because we already know all the consequences of their implementation.

You can have a system that encourages switching up loadouts without it being obtuse or too restrictive, and they have yet to figure that part out. I can't speak for anyone else, but I switch my poo poo up for fun based on what role I want to play or just if I want to approach enemies differently. But I also couldn't care less if someone has one build they love, whether it's optimal or not, and they just lean into it hard because that's how they want to play their escape from reality game. Just like how they wanted is to finally be able to do mono-elemental builds, it seems like they're trying to accomplish that but until next week we won't know if our even works well at all.

I know what's in the traveler it's supereververse where you can buy greebles with macguffins