Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I recently decided to bind melee to mouse wheel down in games I'm playing, so it's fun to me that they decided to go for that. It works very well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mistermojo posted:

the beginning of Atomic Heart is pretty bad but it gets a lot better when the goofy robots show up and you start doing the System Shock thing of going to different sections of the building to get keys

I'm not really sold on it yet but I'm giving it a chance since I'm really only into the first combat section.

Part of the problem is that it really hasn't sold me on the setting. The opening is a lot of exposition dumping that is worked in as smoothly as a crowbar in a doorframe, and that when things start going to poo poo it just kind of happens. In Rapture it made you sit through a film about Andrew Ryan but the place was clearly hosed up because it was literally breaking under pressure and full of monsters. Here its a utopia til it suddenly isn't.

I guess the closer thing would be Bioshock Infinite since they are both doing the Castle In The Sky thing but the difference there is that players are savvy enough to the setting to know that the intense religiosity of it is super suspicious. I guess the collective consciousness they advertise at the start fills the same role here but it's just not the same vibe.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Black Griffon posted:

Absolute banger where the characters and story is fun if you embrace how dumb it is

The original version is from a meme video posted by Gabriel's voice actor.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know people are wary of Atomic Heart for being like pro-Russian given the state of the world, but I can't help but view it more as a parody. Just the voices of the robots, the way everyone calls everyone Comrade. My glove just goes, "Soviet Robots are used and trusted all over the world" and the player character responds, "They are?" lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I know people are wary of Atomic Heart for being like pro-Russian given the state of the world, but I can't help but view it more as a parody. Just the voices of the robots, the way everyone calls everyone Comrade. My glove just goes, "Soviet Robots are used and trusted all over the world" and the player character responds, "They are?" lol.

Is that something people actually think? It's pro Russian like Bioshock Infinite was pro-American, using the iconography of the nation to conceal a rotten heart.

If it was supposed to be unironically showing the power of soviet might then I imagine the robots wouldn't suck as much. The only ones that are really functional are the two that everyone is horny for that I'm pretty sure contain the soul of a soviet peasant.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played a whole bunch of games made in Russia and I honestly can't name even a single one that was explicitly pro-Soviet, the only exception being ones where it's "Pro-Soviet" only in the context of being "Anti-Nazi Germany".
Almost every Russian game about Soviet Union is explicitly about how rotten it was on the inside.

I imagine that a vast majority of people interested in creative ventures and with an education to actually follow through on it, understand how much of an authoritarian shithole Soviet was.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, I guess I'm not necessarily sure what people think but there is definitely a lot of, "Don't buy it they devs are Russian and harvesting your data! Why is it being released on anniversary of Putin's unjust war" and whatnot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sab669 posted:

Why is it being released on anniversary of Putin's unjust war

Seems like a fair ask to me

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think the idea is that Putin is not super keen on USSR, in fact in his justification for invading Ukraine he criticised USSR for "giving away" supposedly Russian land to Ukraine.

So the parodying itself is perfectly in line with government agenda, they aren't the Soviets and don't care any for the ideology.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does Game Pass show your time played anywhere? I can't seem to find it...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

On the bar on the left where you launch your games it should show

Edit: Oh wait nvm that's achievement percentage apparently

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 22, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope the rest of the year can keep up with February on large mid releases that generate controversy.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sab669 posted:

You have to scroll down a bit on the page for a given game and click on "Show All" in the achievements section

No, I don't know why it displays in days rather than just hours :confused:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Black Griffon posted:

I recently decided to bind melee to mouse wheel down in games I'm playing, so it's fun to me that they decided to go for that. It works very well for me.
That's how you stab fools in Chivalry as well IIRC, so yeah not a bad idea.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

You have to scroll down a bit on the page for a given game and click on "Show All" in the achievements section

No, I don't know why it displays in days rather than just hours :confused:

The real :confused: is why do I have to go to the Achievements section to display Time Played...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I haven't played Atomic Heart and I probably won't but I'm going to assume they did the classic Bioshock Infinite technique of clearly having more fun portraying something than criticising it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

this thread is more fun if you assume every post that doesn't mention a game's title is discussion of the jesus game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Way too much anime titties and awful gunfeel

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not enough anime titties

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Maintain the current level of anime titties

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A game where you are an anime titty

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

most of the discussion of atomic heart on social media is absolutely insane galaxy brain poo poo like "the game has geraniums in it, geraniums are the name of Russian strike drones. checkmate, Mundfish???" and intentionally mistranslating labels of canned food that existed IRL, and not understanding that a game set in the 50s/60s will have stuff from the 50s/60s in it

the game itself could just be a mediocre Bioshock clone that is too aggro and horny, but that's not enough for people because then it can't be part of the culture war, so people are just zooming in on poo poo and freezeframing everything to look for their phoenix wright OBJECTION!! moment

meanwhile I'm still waiting for them to make the subtitles readable by human eyes and not for ants. i can't read any of the poo poo in the game!!!!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

most of the discussion of atomic heart on social media is absolutely insane galaxy brain poo poo like "the game has geraniums in it, geraniums are the name of Russian strike drones. checkmate, Mundfish???" and intentionally mistranslating labels of canned food that existed IRL, and not understanding that a game set in the 50s/60s will have stuff from the 50s/60s in it

the game itself could just be a mediocre Bioshock clone that is too aggro and horny, but that's not enough for people because then it can't be part of the culture war, so people are just zooming in on poo poo and freezeframing everything to look for their phoenix wright OBJECTION!! moment

meanwhile I'm still waiting for them to make the subtitles readable by human eyes and not for ants. i can't read any of the poo poo in the game!!!!

I didn't know it was this bad.

I've seen people saying that this game should be boycotted the same way that Harry Potter was and I can't take them seriously because that's a matter of a studio of people who happen to be Russian vs one very specific rear end in a top hat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Donnerberg posted:

Maintain the current level of anime titties

add a slider

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

I checked out of the controversy as soon as I saw people saying sexy and horny robots were bad

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

please dont gently caress your fridge

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SilverMike posted:

This must be why their refrigerator is running

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Walked posted:

I have both and HIGHLY prefer the PC controls. I had to do a bunch of rebinds for my preferences but it’s so much better than console.

I'm sticking with controller just because the haptics are so cool (seriously the best I've ever felt in a game) but I did have to rebind some stuff; having dodge on L1 and grapple on R3 feels much much better than leaving them on the face buttons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SilverMike posted:

It keeps giving me the cold shoulder

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SilverMike posted:

Buddy,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

goferchan posted:

I'm sticking with controller just because the haptics are so cool (seriously the best I've ever felt in a game) but I did have to rebind some stuff; having dodge on L1 and grapple on R3 feels much much better than leaving them on the face buttons.

Dodge belongs on the eastern face button, sorry.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/authorblues/status/1628131423105257474

In my day, games were a penny for a pound of bits. Now, you had to put them together yourself but

My man is using vegetable pricing method for games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

zoux posted:

Dodge belongs on the eastern face button, sorry.

Thumbs don't leave the sticks :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

My man is using vegetable pricing method for games.

I mean

I looked at the install for RPG MX Player on the switch, with one game downloaded, and it was 4.5gb or so? and a big honkin game like fire emblem engage with more assets is only around 8gb?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Please buy the greatest game of all time, it's sixty hours of uncompressed FMV files and you'll need to switch hard drives like you're playing Monkey Island off floppy disks.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Please buy the greatest game of all time, it's sixty hours of uncompressed FMV files and you'll need to switch hard drives like you're playing Monkey Island off floppy disks.

Bringing the Riven experience to modern day gamers.

(psst, please remake Riven)

vvv gently caress yeah! I thought it was kinda lost media!

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 22, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Waste of Breath posted:

Bringing the Riven experience to modern day gamers.

(psst, please remake Riven)

They announced a remake for it last year

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
post the most surprising game install sizes in your library

Not For Broadcast is a pretty niche indie game, but it's 50GB because it's all branching FMV stuff

Valheim is slightly above one single gigabyte

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

post the most surprising game install sizes in your library

Not For Broadcast is a pretty niche indie game, but it's 50GB because it's all branching FMV stuff

Valheim is slightly above one single gigabyte

How would I even check that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How would I even check that

On the Steam library view with the tiles you can sort by lots of different things, including install size on disk