Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Fuckin lmao they put the RRRR Phyrexian Horror in fuckin alchemy AND it's way worse than the other two released so far. Can't wait for the time when the designers weren't designing in an Embercleave world.

With alchemy they can always change into a good card in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The most incredibly lazy ONE Block Constructed deck. I put two Mythic WCs into it for Vraska and four U for Serum Snare, knocked out my daily and all three MWM wins with it in under half an hour, including deckbuilding. (For free!)

I'm really coming around on Vraska in Toxic/Proliferate. The -2 turn a guy into a Treasure ability is remarkably interesting removal, especially against Obliterator (etc), and even playing it Compleated seems relevant under some conditions. I don't think that any deck that wants it is going to ever get the ultimate off, though. There's just so many Proliferate and Poison options in black, and the UB shell has that much more. I'm interested to see how Vraska specifically evolves as Standard gets more fleshed out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What is this weird "Aftermath" 50 card set coming after MOTM? Is this a thing that they've done before?

Also, RIP Kenriths

I also think it's kinda weird that they don't put the Commander set commanders into MTGA. Some of them seem fun for Brawl!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 22, 2023

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

A Moose posted:

Does R&D even design alchemy cards? I think those are made by the Arena devs, which would explain the overall quality and how it's just slightly above r/custommagic

I never really thought about it but you’re probably right! That explains a lot about alchemy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GrandpaPants posted:

What is this weird "Aftermath" 50 card set coming after MOTM? Is this a thing that they've done before?

Also, RIP Kenriths

I also think it's kinda weird that they don't put the Commander set commanders into MTGA. Some of them seem fun for Brawl!

It's new, I can't think of anything similar that's been done before, assuming it's standard legal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lone Goat posted:

what deck is playing embercleave in alchemy that wants a red 4 drop but doesn't want torbran?

??? That's not what I mean I mean embercleave made the designers scared of making actually good mono red cards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, aftermath is going to be a standard legal, non-draftable, 50 card set that is basically just a place to put names and flavor text that would spoil the ending of MoM. They've never done anything like this. Why make new, mechanically unique cards, but only 50? Why not just release some fancy looking reprints of cards with different flavor text or art after MoM? Or why not just spoil it in the set like usual?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Mono-red has been in a pretty good place lately (excepting toxic decks pushing them out this set).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, RIP Kenriths

It's a new thing. It's an all rares set which... In a vacuum doesn't necessarily really mean anything, rare doesn't mean good or playable, but in practice does seem like they'll be able to put fewer cards in packs and charge more for them. Maybe they'll all be high impact cards, or maybe they'll make things that might normally be common/uncommon rare too? Storywise seems like it will wrap up the Phyrexian arc and characters, and clear the stage for new settings and stories.

Not sure how Drafting with it will work. Edit: oh it's not meant to be. Definitely still gonna try throwing in a pack with 2 of MoM though for a weird draft.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

??? That's not what I mean I mean embercleave made the designers scared of making actually good mono red cards.

Two years after Embercleave came out there's been Ragavan and DRC, two of the most insane 1 drops ever printed.

Also isn't Kiki-Jiki saga arguably the best card in standard right now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Two years after Embercleave came out there's been Ragavan and DRC, two of the most insane 1 drops ever printed.

It is.

It's not a good monored aggro card though. Turn 3 2/2 that does nothing and dies, turn 4 some card selection but not card draw, turn 5 2/2 that does nothing and you've already lost because your opponent has stabilised. Fits into longer game control decks, maybe into burn, I guess, but those are usually better off with multiple colours. I tried it in aggro decks a bunch and it just felt terrible compared to any haste creature.

Ragavan is excellent, yes, and hopefully a sign of the corner being turned.

I don't offhand recorgnise the abbreviation for DRC. Wait, Dragon's Rage Channeler?

Both of those are reprints, too, aren't they?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
You know how Arena releases a 30 card Alchemy set a month after every standard set? That's kind of what Aftermath is reminding me of, only it's legal in Standard.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If all of the fuckin' angel cards in new capenna had been in "streets of new capenna: aftermath" that would've basically singehandedly fixed new capenna for me, honestly i feel like if you're going "but whyyyy" you're going out of your way to find reasons to complain

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The ability is at least interesting. I dont think its an aggro card its a combo card like https://scryfall.com/card/mm2/199/swans-of-bryn-argoll. Could be another piece in the runaway steam-kin/birgi grapeshot decks.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bugsy posted:

The ability is at least interesting. I dont think its an aggro card its a combo card like https://scryfall.com/card/mm2/199/swans-of-bryn-argoll. Could be another piece in the runaway steam-kin/birgi grapeshot decks.

I really want to deal 40 damage to this guy while my opponent it tapped out during their turn.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

thespaceinvader posted:

It is.

It's not a good monored aggro card though. Turn 3 2/2 that does nothing and dies, turn 4 some card selection but not card draw, turn 5 2/2 that does nothing and you've already lost because your opponent has stabilised. Fits into longer game control decks, maybe into burn, I guess, but those are usually better off with multiple colours. I tried it in aggro decks a bunch and it just felt terrible compared to any haste creature.

Ragavan is excellent, yes, and hopefully a sign of the corner being turned.

I don't offhand recorgnise the abbreviation for DRC. Wait, Dragon's Rage Channeler?

Both of those are reprints, too, aren't they?

Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer and Dragon's Rage Channeler were first printed in Modern Horizon's 2 and immediately took over every format they're playable in. Probably the biggest point of contention for the concept of creating cards specifically for eternal formats rather than letting cards enter organically via standard sets because of how strong they are.

E: Ragavan is so good he's already banned in Legacy

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

And Pioneer/Explorer, and good in Modern, and Historic, and shows up in Legacy 5-0 dumps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The formats with all of the broken cards from the history of Magic is dangerous to design for. Other metas and formats exist to avoid those old broken cards, and there are very good reasons why they try not to print cards that powerful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fair enough.

He's in MoM isn't he? Or have i misunderstood?

Eh, maybe I'm projecting, but I've been super disappointed in red from a mono-red aggro perspective in most recent sets, and in a wide range of cycles of rares and mythics which have had big impacts in other colours, the red ones have been notably weak, useless for monored aggro, or both.

I just miss having a useful standard monored deck, doubly so when every other colour is getting a turn 4 play that just blanks the majority of monored aggro. Or two in the case of black.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ragavan is being reprinted in the mystical archives thingy for MoM so not into Standard where he would be insanely overpowered

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I see mono red on the arena ladder pretty regularly and it is definitely out there keep folks honest with their monastery swift spears and kumano faces kahkazan even up in mythic. Embercleave was pretty wild when you look back on it, just like much of eldraine was

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Eej posted:

Ragavan is being reprinted in the mystical archives thingy for MoM so not into Standard where he would be insanely overpowered

I wouldn't be surprised if Rag saw a day 0 ban in Historic like Mishra's Bauble did because otherwise he'd completely gently caress that format up lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Rag saw a day 0 ban in Historic like Mishra's Bauble did because otherwise he'd completely gently caress that format up lol

For sure. Historic doesnt need that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Khanstant faces Kakkazan

Khanstant posted:

Out of curiosity do you have that walls deck? I considered building a wall commander but it seemed like a bad time for the table but competitive queue you have no obligation to anyone. Just curious what a standard wall deck looks like. In general I've built way more commander and draft decks than any 60 card decks.

Wall deck that came out "just after DMU," it was likely based around 4x Wingmantle Chaplain, with 4x Shield-Wall Sentinel to tutor the Chaplain's up.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

deck is still loving stupid in bo1

ive never had a higher winrate over this many games in my life

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope they let ragavan loose in historic just so I can play the card and do fun stuff I see people do in the eternal formats

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Do you just counter and stall until you can cast some big white sun twilight swarms?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

App13 posted:

I just finished getting all the free starter decks, went through and put in the redemption codes for a bunch of packs, and opened em up.

Made a budget version of a mono black deck from mtgazone and have been absolutely slapping folks left and right in standard ranked. I think as a treat to myself I will use some of my mythic wildcards to craft that mythic black thing that causes your opponent to lose life when they draw a card.

Get hosed, opponents

good call! sheoldred is a serious staple of just about any deck running black for obvious reasons. she puts a clock on the enemy, she lets you absorb more damage, she's a decent body for her casting cost and has deathtouch to boot. she's also from dominaria united which means she should stay standard legal for ages so you wont feel like you "wasted" the wildcards next rotation

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

Do you just counter and stall until you can cast some big white sun twilight swarms?

Mindsplice Apparatus knocking down the X cost of Twilight, yes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

thespaceinvader posted:

I just miss having a useful standard monored deck, doubly so when every other colour is getting a turn 4 play that just blanks the majority of monored aggro. Or two in the case of black.

the metagame data shows that RDW is still around 15% of the meta with decks that can do 55%-60% WR...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The key to monored aggro is realising that one big dumb idiot only blocks one of your attackers, so you can still push damage through and then burn them out.

Sheoldred is far more of a problem than Obliterator because if you have to take a turn building up your board to go around them, Sheoldred is gaining them life and putting the game out of reach, instead of just sitting there looking stupid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kashuno posted:

I hope they let ragavan loose in historic just so I can play the card and do fun stuff I see people do in the eternal formats

I'd rather they unban Bolt first

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Jabor posted:

The key to monored aggro is realising that one big dumb idiot only blocks one of your attackers, so you can still push damage through and then burn them out.

Sheoldred is far more of a problem than Obliterator because if you have to take a turn building up your board to go around them, Sheoldred is gaining them life and putting the game out of reach, instead of just sitting there looking stupid.

I just added Sheoldred to my budget mono black aggro deck and by god does it slap

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

40 lbs to freedom posted:

I've played against a couple of these with simic poison and have been able to get under them with poison before they went off, I was wondering what the game plan was.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

I had a ton of fun winning as monored against an obliterator, even after accidentally buffing a creature to 5 power instead of spreading the raining Kaiju bonus to someone else. Even after destroying 5 permanents, leaving me with just a single land, with another land in hand. Drew lightning strike my next turn to finish them off. I could've lost with a lot of draws but glad I've survived my encounters so far.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Fair enough.

He's in MoM isn't he? Or have i misunderstood?

Eh, maybe I'm projecting, but I've been super disappointed in red from a mono-red aggro perspective in most recent sets, and in a wide range of cycles of rares and mythics which have had big impacts in other colours, the red ones have been notably weak, useless for monored aggro, or both.

Why would you want rares and mythics? I'd much rather we get good uncommons. Going to be sad later in the year when kumano faces rotation.

Red card I miss most from previous rotation is battle cry goblin, a 2 drop without haste needs better upside than firebrand right now when wedding announcement is everywhere. Everyone is running 4x mythics and like 3x rare legend for their 2 drops, they're ok but when you remember stuff like BTE being a standard rdw bear it feels sort of bad to be playing with worse cards at a higher rarity.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Because Embercleaves and Bonecrusher Giants are better than Kumano Faces Kakkazan

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I seriously doubt they'll include Ragavan in the Arena MoM set but also I want them to keep pushing Historic towards Modern power levels. Unban bolt and counterspell and give us fetchlands.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The online-only format (where searching and shuffling happens instantly) is the one place where fetchlands should be allowed imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't be surprised if we get fetchlands once explorer becomes pioneer but i doubt we'll get it as long as historic is the way it currently is. same for bolt.

maybe if we get another non-explorer extended format that's paper only but modern power level