Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

covidstomper58 posted:

And are you talking about him walking into Jackson, where {deleted scene} Tara just asked him if his brother looked like him and then said, sure you can come inside and probably had some vague conversation with him along the way?

I think they mean the scene at the university where he walks in to look for the Fireflies.

Kwolok posted:

I'm glad we don't have to watch them tactically crawling through bushes because of *realism*.

Travelling by sneaking through bushes would double the length of the trip and not make them considerably safer. You can't be very stealthy on a horse, but it's still better than going on foot.

Maybe a bicycle would be good, though. You never seem to see bicycles in post-apocalyptic shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ngl it would have owned if the Jackson Five‐0 rolled up on bicycles.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Why not just the Jackson five

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nail Rat posted:

Why not just the Jackson five

I never even considered this! MJ died in 2009 in our world, maybe he turned Neverland Ranch into a fortress in this world and he's still alive, making new music with the rest of the gang & Janet. :unsmith:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

XboxPants posted:

I never even considered this! MJ died in 2009 in our world, maybe he turned Neverland Ranch into a fortress in this world and he's still alive, making new music with the rest of the gang & Janet. :unsmith:

Yeah and Ellie is female so if they stumbled on this stronghold they'd be perfectly safe. They can have CGI Prince there too!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the neverland snowpiercer

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The apocalypse happened in 2003 right?

That means they never had Facebook or Twitter. They might have had MySpace.

Smart phones would have never been been a thing and people would be debating flip vs candybar phones. The iconic RAZR would never have existed.

I think the most advanced CPUs of the time would have been the Pentium 4s?

Kind of weird to think about.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Smart phones would have never been been a thing and people would be debating flip vs candybar phones. The iconic RAZR would never have existed.

Not just technology, but pop culture and entertainment too. The only MCU movie that got out the gate was the Ang Lee Hulk film.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Wire had just started its third season.

Joel turns to Ellie: “We really were the last of us.”

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the teen girl's room that Ellie was in during this episode, in Jackson, had an oldschool colorful iMac. If they have hydro power, those computers would potentially still work, right? They don't decay that fast. Platter hard drives fail pretty quick I guess, but if gas can still work, the hard drives can, too.

Potentially they could even have a small-scale network going, just within the city, yeah? I don't see any reason why not. Think of all the fun neighborhood BBS arguments about what the best Richard Dreyfuss film is. And Napster was big by 2001, I bet there'd be a vibrant mp3 sharing scene! I guess Napster was working off centralized servers and might be hard to set up locally, but FTP is a thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Somehow I can't see HBO being very cool with the sharing of copyrighted materials being shared between people - even after the apocalypse - as a plot element.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GRRM only got up to Storm of Swords

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah those kids should be having sick LAN parties of Counterstrike 1.6 and Ultima Online Unofficial Offline servers. They probably sent traders to large cities to get PlanetQuake's Mod Archives.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Somehow I can't see HBO being very cool with the sharing of copyrighted materials being shared between people - even after the apocalypse - as a plot element.

The look on Tommy's face when his wife insisted that no, they absolutely ARE Communists, was delightful :allears:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The N-Gage was like a week away from release

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
By default the SA forums would be the most popular hangout space on the internet

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And this would be the hottest phone among the cool kids of post-fungal America

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Ellie can learn how to shoot by playing Quake 3: Team Arena with the other teens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hottest car on the lot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

GRRM only got up to Storm of Swords

GRRM only got up to Storm of Swords in real life too thought :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The games really put effort into showing that all manufacturing shut down on apocalypse day. That means no new clothes, ever, from any warehouse to any store any where, just for one example the commentary talks about. The first game on PS3 features PS3's and it's chilling because they're antiques, in that universe no consoles or games were ever made again.

edit: Also hi, just started watching this week and caught up. This show is extremely, extremely cool and I love the departure episodes that give us more insight into what the game's characters would have on their mind if they had more time to speak. The parts where they mimic the game verbatim are excellent in terms of cinematography and performance! However, I much prefer the unique writing of the show on the show because it fits the actors and their great performance across the board much better. I am excited to see how they cram the rest of the story into the last few episodes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 22, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ozmunkeh posted:

It's just a case where things that apparently work well in a video game may not necessarily translate well to other forms of media, and that's not exactly a new phenomenon. I'm still waiting for my HBO prestige drama based on de_dust.

covidstomper58 posted:

Yeah those kids should be having sick LAN parties of Counterstrike 1.6 and Ultima Online Unofficial Offline servers. They probably sent traders to large cities to get PlanetQuake's Mod Archives.
All the PC gamers would survive the next 20+ years just on de_dust experience alone.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

ngl it would have owned if the Jackson Five‐0 rolled up on bicycles.

I wondered this. I assume in the game there are no bicycles and everyone is either on foot or horseback? I'm surprised there aren't any bicycles. They're easy enough to acquire and maintain. (lol my personal bicycle is 20+ years old)

Loved episode 6. The second scene with Joel & Tommy was so loving good, as well as the bedroom scene with Joel & Ellie.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 22, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Tzen posted:

I wondered this. I assume in the game there are no bicycles and everyone is either on foot or horseback? I'm surprised there aren't any bicycles. They're easy enough to acquire and maintain. (lol my personal bicycle is 20+ years old)

Loved episode 6. The second scene with Joel & Tommy was so loving good, as well as the bedroom scene with Joel & Ellie.

There are many cliches of the zombie apocalypse genre that we expect to see. Like revolvers and bolt action rifles, and cars and horses, and still being able to scavenge for canned food.

Bicycles are not one of them.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
One day they'll have a post apocalypse show that makes use of bikes, and it'll be like Hank Scorpio going "my goodness why didn't I think of that", but until then TLOU will not be one of those trailblazers.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kwolok posted:

I'm glad we don't have to watch them tactically crawling through bushes because of *realism*.

As far as I can tell, there are people ITT who wouldn’t be happy unless this was a 24 episode season with extensive time spent on ammo expenditures, gun physics, the pathology of gut wounds, the care and feeding of horses (you can’t just get on a horse and RIDE across country, you fucken idiots where are you getting fodder? The poor thing is riding DOUBLE?!?), the crypto-biology of fungus zombies, and the socio-dynamics of small group politics on the edge of extinction.

And since it’s not that, they can’t understand why anybody would even watch the show.

I dunno man, people are fucken weird.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

One day they'll have a post apocalypse show that makes use of bikes, and it'll be like Hank Scorpio going "my goodness why didn't I think of that", but until then TLOU will not be one of those trailblazers.

The Walking Dead did that in one episode.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

in the realm of post apocalyptic movies there's turbo kid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How are people clean-shaven in the apocalypse?

I’m not going to be satisfied till we see that Jackson either has a stash of Mach 3s or that everyone is rubbing themselves with pumice stones like the Romans.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Looking back it's interesting that the only game related stuff we've seen (so far) is Ellie wanting to play Mortal Kombat II, which isn't even a Sony game. They should have a PS2 lying around instead of an iMac, or looking at piles of Memory Sticks or MiniDiscs.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Sony UMDs, they're even circular like all currency should be! But no, looks like they didn't appear until 2005.

Edit: Since I'm posting, the scenery in this episode was very pretty. Episode covered a lot but didn't feel too rushed - I was left wanting to see more of pretty much everything, but it wasn't vital (assuming we don't have any flashbacks to events in that three-month skip).

I've been listening to the podcast alongside the episodes; for the most part it's been "interesting", but I think this time I appreciated the episode more in hindsight, with some of the smaller details and whether some parts were/weren't in the game.

Edit 2: Also I looked it up and the UMDs didn't come out of their cases the way I was remembering so never mind.

uvar fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 22, 2023

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Bicycling in the snow sucks unless you have fat tires and fatbikes weren't really popular until after 2006 or so. :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

How are people clean-shaven in the apocalypse?

I’m not going to be satisfied till we see that Jackson either has a stash of Mach 3s or that everyone is rubbing themselves with pumice stones like the Romans.
They're not though. The second game has so detailed graphics that you can tell that no one bothers to shave much.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

I think one of the dudes from the stand does this. he starts off riding a harley cuz he wants to be a cool dude but drops his bike on the first corner and nopes the gently caress out for a ten speed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The games really put effort into showing that all manufacturing shut down on apocalypse day. That means no new clothes, ever, from any warehouse to any store any where, just for one example the commentary talks about.

In which case I don't understand how everybody isn't just wearing rags. I certainly don't have a single piece of clothing that's been regularly worn and lasted longer than 7 or 8 years max.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

freebooter posted:

In which case I don't understand how everybody isn't just wearing rags. I certainly don't have a single piece of clothing that's been regularly worn and lasted longer than 7 or 8 years max.

The game also covers that in the chapter with the bandits who crash the truck, a scene the show skips over unfortunately! Joel and Ellie comment on a massive stockpile of clothes and shoes of all sizes and ages and it's not just evidence of the number of folks they've robbed.

But I get what you mean in general. It's back to strainers and washbasins I guess!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 22, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
clothes are probably one of the easiest things to come by. it wouldn't be like food where you take as much as you can possibly carry, probably just stop in a house or a shop or warehouse, or really anywhere, and grab 1 outfit and maybe a spare which would last you months, grab a jacket in winter. with like 3% of the population still walking, you'd have plenty of options for centuries probably.

shoes might be more of an issue. you'd need to maintain those.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

freebooter posted:

Yeah but there are billions of dead people's clothes lying around for the taking so it's not hard to come by new ones.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I was actually thinking about that last time I played the game and walked through a basically empty hardware store, I wonder where a lot of the non-perishable stock in stores goes in an apocalypse. Like sure, there's no new products being made, but there's also none of the projects and commerce that usually kept the supply chain moving. Especially if huge segments of the population died off, you would think there are a significant amount of basically brand new items in stores and warehouses across the country. Maybe it's just guys like Bill who are off the grid and have boxes of poo poo they looted in the basement.

This isn't a nitpicky criticism of the show, just sort of an observation of all post-apoc media. Sometimes the world deterioration is wild and they act like people wouldn't be meticulously maintaining the analog equipment they have. It's in the same category as "everything is filthy because you can't ever clean things after an apocalypse." I appreciate Jackson looking like a pretty normal farm commune type town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Frankly the most unrealistic thing about the show is Jackson being an affordable place to live, even in the post-apocalypse.