Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

Hot take but I don't think it looks good at all when you add raytracing to these old FPS games
fr fr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Tiny Timbs posted:

Hot take but I don't think it looks good at all when you add raytracing to these old FPS games

Not really a hot take, this is brought up like every time an RT mod is posted lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it could be good as long as it's not just an engine-level switch and levels are actually relit with raytracing in mind (which I'm guessing is not the case in this particular mod). Quake engine games used rudimentary offline raytracing to compute static lighting anyway (and the newer community versions of those tools are decidedly less rudimentary), so if it were done well, there's no real reason it couldn't maintain a classic look while also getting the upsides of real-time raytracing.

Like most tech demos though, it will probably end up cranking all the dials to 10 and emphasizing how many shadows/reflections you can see moving at once.

Volte fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tiny Timbs posted:

It looks great but lol at the outdoor scenes being full of pink because of the light reflected off of the pink rocks

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The interior lighting at least I think looks pretty good, but it also kinda looks like what if you took 1999-2003 colored lighting and dynamic shadows and made it a bit more high fidelity, so it doesn't feel wildly out of place to me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doom Eternal feels like it noticed how Doom 2016's combat sometimes got a bit same-y and tried to fix it by loving with the mechanics rather than increasing the variety in its encounters and stage design.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's the modern "let's add stencil shadows and specularity to everything"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

catlord posted:

The interior lighting at least I think looks pretty good, but it also kinda looks like what if you took 1999-2003 colored lighting and dynamic shadows and made it a bit more high fidelity, so it doesn't feel wildly out of place to me.

My main issue is with the outdoor scenes being blown out and weird. I lived in New Mexico for years it's not like that!!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Tiny Timbs posted:

My main issue is with the outdoor scenes being blown out and weird. I lived in New Mexico for years it's not like that!!

I think the lighting is really nice but it goes way overboard with the light rays.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

I never understood the Doom 2016 trashing it's own plot idea. Like, that never happened in that game that I recall. There's like, 2 places specifically where Doomguy cuts someone off or destroys something ignoring someone, and both times it's with Samuel Hayden, and it's when he's trying to justify the current situation and trying to preserve the status quo with the argent doohickey that he breaks. Those don't read as "shut up I wanna go kill more demons" they read as "gently caress you this is your fault." Every interaction between them shows he HATES Hayden. He pushed the screen away because he didn't want to hear his excuses, and he breaks the thing because Hayden says "be careful with the thing it's used to harvest argent energy it's irreplaceable" "oh if this broke you wouldn't be able to summon demons anymore whoops my boot fell on it repeatedly". Hell, in the opening Hayden is like "this was for the betterment of mankind" and the camera looks very pointedly at a corpse on cue, Doomguy clenches his fist and punches the controls. It's all extremely obvious "Doomguy mad about demons and won't compromise on destroying them" not "lol lmao gently caress plot shoot man's"

Edit: tldr Doom 2016 absolutely cares about it's own plot for better or worse. (I like the plot but I do wish the cutscenes were skippable)

I'll just say one more thing about this, the fact that it's such a pervasive idea clearly indicates there is something there. Like I said, I think you're all correct that the intended read is "doomguy hates Hayden", but 2016 has so many loving references to the legacy games, and goes lengths to imply that all DOOM content is in the same universe. Since the game is inviting more of a genre-conscious experience, I think people can be forgiven for thinking 2016 is poking fun at itself. We're just splitting hairs on whether doomguy is mad at the characters, or mad that he's having to relive this story over and over.

On another topic, I loved CULTIC, I should play Blood Deathwish next, right?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Power Walrus posted:

They don't really play like each other imo, but blood is cool as hell

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Doomguy is mad because he is the literal avatar of rage, born from literal God who wanted to kill his angels after they imprisoned him in Hell.

Also, Doom 2016 is an awesome game. But with all it's flaws, Eternal is more fun. So there.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

They don't really play like each other imo, but blood is cool as hell

It's been a long time since I played BLOOD. Like pre-sourceport days. The Steam release by Nightdive is good, yea?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Doom Eternal got to be way too much by the end with all the mechanics and hectic action. All that hyperactivity was both mentally and physically exhausting to me. Then I tried the first DLC, which doubled down on all that and added the dumb ghostbuster mechanic. I had to set it on Easy to play all the way through and by the end I was simply done with it. I couldn't take any more. Contrast that to my Ultraviolence run of Doom '16, which was leagues more enjoyable. I can see myself booting up Doom '16 to play Arcade mode when I get the whim, but I'm thoroughly done with Eternal.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 23, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Skill issue.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

sethsez posted:

It's the modern "let's add stencil shadows and specularity to everything"

What do you have against stencil shadows?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The nuDOOMs story sucked and there was far too much of it. But that's more a AAA game issue than just them alone.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 22, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Power Walrus posted:

It's been a long time since I played BLOOD. Like pre-sourceport days. The Steam release by Nightdive is good, yea?

I play it in RAZE, but the Nightdive port is good. Some diehards don't like it, but it definitely does the job, and co-op works good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 5, especially with the DLC, is the best character action game ever made. There absolutely should have been a Bloody Palace equivalent mode included in the game instead of its pointless multiplayer.

Its not as good an FPS as Doom 2, but hey, what is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

What do you have against stencil shadows?

I can't speak for sethsez but I will throw this out: Would going back and adding stencil shadows in Mario64 and Banzo Kazooie have improved the gfx any? There's thing thing of aesthetic completion, where additional compute power can only go so far in increasing fidelity before you start changing things just for the sake of it. (There might be a single instance or two of stencils being used for dramatic effect in those games, I forget)

I have a similar rant about Ambient Occlusion: it's a great tech that goes a long way to making rooms feel 'lived in' and helps with human faces, but comes at such a huge performance cost that you have to be careful about it. Except nobody's careful about it, so where previously there where baked-in shadows, it's now always-on all-the-time and a lot of middling to older hardware simply cannot keep up. And disabling it makes everything look like total rear end, so that's not an option. My favorite example was in Deus Ex MD; where Jenson's beard is comically unfitting during the opening cutscenes without AO on. In addition we now get the occasional game that doesn't even look all that nice (due to a few things turned down, or god forbid, even with things maxed) and that's still taxing the hardware, where using an older technique would have looked just as well or better while being much faster (ex: RAGE had a ton of texture shadows).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doom 1 & 2 are MD 20/20 Fortified Wine
Doom 3 is Benadryl
Doom 2016 is Cocaine
Doom Eternal is Crank

"Pick you're poison"

Does this make Betruger the hat man? There’s a lot of spiders in that game already, that’s true…

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ray tracing in old games can look great, I played through Quake 1 with it and about half the time it looked like Quake but "better", but most of the projects released use procedural feature implementations that aren't able to fully replicate the original games art design. In order for the other half of the game to look good textures need more realistic materials and lighting needs a human hand to keep the original design and artistic intent intact ie adding emissive surfaces where there were only point lights or even reducing intensity on a case by case basis.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
In an actual retro FPS; I just finished Quake's 1 new "expansions" - Dimension of the Past (DOPA) + Dimension of the Machine (DOMA...?)

DOPA is nice, but kinda forgettable. DOMA is amazing and the new stuff they do (wiiiide open areas, new textures, cool effects, even saw a loving tree) really does hit a home run. It's been a while where I've gone "drat, I wish there were more maps with that theme!"

If I had one complaint - and it's just not with DOMA, I see it a lot - there's far too many low-tier enemies at later levels / later parts of a map.
It's cool when it's a bit of fun ("Remember those Grunts that pissed you off when you only had a Shotgun? Here's 20 bunched up and you have a rocket launcher") or a bit of a gimmick ("Uh oh, you're in a zoo, and you've stumbled into a Rottweiler cage"), but honestly - at this point you've given me all the weapons, you've trained me enough to survive the tougher enemies, you've revealed all your traps; let me face down the tougher stuff and not get bored.

Still, it was a lot of fun!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

Does this make Betruger the hat man? There’s a lot of spiders in that game already, that’s true…

Yes, exactly--and also Benadryl is German for "Betrayer"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was hanking for some WRATH (despite refusing to play it anymore until it's hit 1.0), so I was browsing through some old patch notes:

quote:

• Added a feature that automatically uninstalls the game when attempting to play on easy

hohoho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I actually have no idea what difficulty I played it on. I assume not easy at least now though. I'm as far as you can get at current, unless they've updated it so you can fight the first boss. Good game, great weapon feel. Hate how you'll clear an area and get ganked by teleporters behind you though. Terrible vertical jump but good horizontal movement. Glad I got it but also could have just waited since unlike UK there doesn't really seem like there's much to do more

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

Was hanking for some WRATH (despite refusing to play it anymore until it's hit 1.0), so I was browsing through some old patch notes:

hohoho

If I made a game it would only have a single difficulty, "EXTREME", and it would blow your fuckin' socks off

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordja posted:

Skill issue.

100%

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Skill issue.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If I had one complaint - and it's just not with DOMA, I see it a lot - there's far too many low-tier enemies at later levels / later parts of a map.
It's cool when it's a bit of fun ("Remember those Grunts that pissed you off when you only had a Shotgun? Here's 20 bunched up and you have a rocket launcher") or a bit of a gimmick ("Uh oh, you're in a zoo, and you've stumbled into a Rottweiler cage"), but honestly - at this point you've given me all the weapons, you've trained me enough to survive the tougher enemies, you've revealed all your traps; let me face down the tougher stuff and not get bored.
Making a note here that says "replace all monsters with spawns".

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

I asked this the other day and the recommendation was play death wish. So glad I did. Finished it in basically one huge sitting. Incredible "mod".

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Edit: old news

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 23, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

koren posted:

Making a note here that says "replace all monsters with spawns".

My new fantasy

Vores that shoot out homing Spawns
Death Knights that splurt out rockets
Scrags that shoot Shambler lightning
Ogres with good A.I.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I finally beat Dread Templar, after slicing up my index finger and having to stick to strategy games for a week. It was good, not great, but still definitely worth a play. Starting with the positives: the level design was generally solid and I liked its upgrade system. You could really change how certain guns worked, for example the stun mine could spawn a turret or a shield bubble, your uzis could become demonic miniguns with like 1000 RPM. Unfortunately, I'd say the actual combat was kinda middling. It didn't quite have the oomph you'd want and the bestiary was largely forgettable. The other big thing is that it's a pretty ugly game imo. The enemies are all just kinda generic looking zombies and demons, and the levels, while fun to play, blend together with no real standouts. I'd say it's about as primitive looking as DUSK, with little of that game's atmosphere or evocative design. Oh yeah, I also had a weird thing with the final boss, where he died and played me the end cutscene even though I'd only got through about a third of his lifebar. I reloaded and replicated this twice, I think it might have had something to do with the way I'd specced my sword and my trap launcher? Of course he was still a pushover even when I fought him properly.

All told, I guess I'd put it around the level of that Postal game, though looking at Steam I definitely got more time out of it. I guess Prodeus next? I've been kinda waiting for a patch to see if they change some things but there doesn't seem to be any hint that one's coming.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

My new fantasy

Vores that shoot out homing Spawns

Please don't share your disgusting vore fantasy with us

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

I finally beat Dread Templar, after slicing up my index finger and having to stick to strategy games for a week. It was good, not great, but still definitely worth a play. Starting with the positives: the level design was generally solid and I liked its upgrade system. You could really change how certain guns worked, for example the stun mine could spawn a turret or a shield bubble, your uzis could become demonic miniguns with like 1000 RPM. Unfortunately, I'd say the actual combat was kinda middling. It didn't quite have the oomph you'd want and the bestiary was largely forgettable. The other big thing is that it's a pretty ugly game imo. The enemies are all just kinda generic looking zombies and demons, and the levels, while fun to play, blend together with no real standouts. I'd say it's about as primitive looking as DUSK, with little of that game's atmosphere or evocative design. Oh yeah, I also had a weird thing with the final boss, where he died and played me the end cutscene even though I'd only got through about a third of his lifebar. I reloaded and replicated this twice, I think it might have had something to do with the way I'd specced my sword and my trap launcher? Of course he was still a pushover even when I fought him properly.

All told, I guess I'd put it around the level of that Postal game, though looking at Steam I definitely got more time out of it. I guess Prodeus next? I've been kinda waiting for a patch to see if they change some things but there doesn't seem to be any hint that one's coming.
Final boss didn't glitch for me, but he was weirdly easy compared to the last ones I fought. Quite literally circle strafing around him dodged everything, while earlier bosses would usually drop some AoE things to prevent that.

I agree about the visuals, like Dusk it's mainly the level geometry that brings it together, everything else is just okay. But the only ones that really stood out for me are the Castlevania/Quake 3 void looking maps

I enjoyed it more than Prodeus, probably cause I think it's post-process filters that you can't turn off are ugly, and Dread Templar's inferno gauntlets are just badass. Those + ammo leech katanas make for a fun build

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, don't think I found that Katana upgrade. D: And yeah, that tileset you posted was definitely the coolest/most out there. Meanwhile the final few "fleshy" maps looked absolutely terrible.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've (re)played DOOM 2016, Eternal, and Doom 3 over the past few years and can confirm that Doom 3 is boring garbage--holy cow is it too easy and slow and there's absolutely no way somebody experienced 2016 and/or Eternal and looked back in retrospection and thought "...actually, Doom 3 isn't so bad after all." That's insane and I won't accept it.

Eternal's big contribution to the Doom lineage is making the "Doom 3 isn't a Doom game!" thing look really loving stupid. I don't know exactly what rigid terms people are even locking the series to with that sentiment, but Eternal almost certainly doesn't meet any of them either.

Doom 3 has never been "so bad after all", whether it was 2016 & Eternal that made folks realise that or not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everything about dusk owns :colbert:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkSAhLclo

has humanity peaked? or was this just another fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkSAhLclo

has humanity peaked? or was this just another fall?

That made it look a more interesting game than it was, lol.