Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

dyzzy posted:

That's a weird idea and I'm all for it

Did they put out multiplayer yet?

yeah i'm pretty sure multiplayer went in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Delve is so much more fun and is such a better “roguelite” experience compared to Sanctum that it boggles the mind.

Imagine delve, with only 32 depth, that requires an entire map’s worth of sulfite for each delve, and then resets when you either die or get to the bottom. Oh yeah, and there’s no azurite, no fossils/resonator rewards, no exploration (dynamite mechanic), and your HP is normalized during your runs.

I hope sanctum goes away, and good riddance if it does!

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

dyzzy posted:

That's a weird idea and I'm all for it

Did they put out multiplayer yet?

They've had a number of closed betas for the multiplayer patch (0.9), and this weekend is open beta (open even to people who don't own the game). The actual launch of 0.9 is next month.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I liked Sanctum because my league start build involved Freeze and Heatshiver which trivialized it even before getting good relics. Probably averaged like 2 raw div and a bunch of other currency per run, too, so it was a nice, quick way to supplement map money.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would be interesting if they could someone implement a turn based version of their game and give us a more true rogue game.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I want a 2d platformer league. Or make a beastmaster class that uses einhar beasts as pets. Hire me ggg!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I liked Sanctum because my league start build involved Freeze and Heatshiver which trivialized it even before getting good relics. Probably averaged like 2 raw div and a bunch of other currency per run, too, so it was a nice, quick way to supplement map money.

This, minus getting that many Divs per run (I seem to have real poo poo luck in that department, but +1 Frenzy relic makes up for it).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
2 raw div per run is nuts

But I think if you optimize for reward rooms in the second half you can definitely see at least one div offer every other run or so, and sextants/decks/chaos output is also pretty good

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Archnemesis (the rares, not the league) was bad because too many mods could stack and produce a hard counter to any number of builds or otherwise just be a monumental pain in the rear end. They didn't need like four mods that increased lightning resistance, both capped and uncapped, without any system that would do a sanity check. GGG *could* have made it better, even acceptable, if they applied any sort of logic to their system but they opted not to. That said, I'm very glad that they just said gently caress it and stripped the whole thing out and left us with the current system.

3.20 the patch was very good. I liked it.

Sanctum started off pretty great, but then after clearing almost hundreds of them I was left with nothing particularly special to show for it. The fact that it was extremely rewarding in currency is irrelevant - it's the league mechanic, it's supposed to give you money. What's the reason for me to chase something? I never got any super amazing build enabling relic that let me do something fantastic and new. Because there wasn't any mods that really did that, they reused the mods from Sentinel. Oh boy, I got more crit multi. Oh wow, another whole power charge. Big loving deal. I quit the moment I realized that what I was chasing after didn't even exist.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah, a league mechanic being rewarding doesn't make it good, imo. It seems like most people talking about Sanctum being good just go back to how rewarding it is.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
If I got 2 raw div per run instead of like 0.25 I might have tolerated it for a bit longer but it wouldn't have made it a good mechanic.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It wasn't even that rewarding because of how long a full Sanctum run is compared to how much you got.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Kchama posted:

It wasn't even that rewarding because of how long a full Sanctum run is compared to how much you got.

Yeah, you could get a div or two from Floor 3 and Floor 4 was very generous but floors 1 and 2 were garbage. Maybe a handful of chaos?

Actually, that was one of my biggest gripes about Sanctum. Shouldn't the best rewards "at the end of this Sanctum" be on the first floor? Because you have to make it through the whole loving thing? Getting offered 2x Divines on Floor 4 at end of sanctum is an equal challenge to at end of floor. It always bugged me a lot to be on like the third room of floor 1 and get, like 10 fusings at end of sanctum. That's another 30 rooms ffs!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
That floor 3 div required 24 maps worth of sanctum runs to access. Not worth it, in my (admittedly very casual) opinion.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

MerrMan posted:

Yeah, you could get a div or two from Floor 3 and Floor 4 was very generous but floors 1 and 2 were garbage. Maybe a handful of chaos?

Actually, that was one of my biggest gripes about Sanctum. Shouldn't the best rewards "at the end of this Sanctum" be on the first floor? Because you have to make it through the whole loving thing? Getting offered 2x Divines on Floor 4 at end of sanctum is an equal challenge to at end of floor. It always bugged me a lot to be on like the third room of floor 1 and get, like 10 fusings at end of sanctum. That's another 30 rooms ffs!

If all the good rewards were weighted to be more upfront then people would run the first 8 rooms and immediately abandon their sanctum if they didn't see any good rewards so they could get a good one.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

MerrMan posted:

Floors 1 and 2 are for Stacked Deck gambling, which is how I got a House of Mirrors and an Apothecary this league.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

wemgo posted:

That floor 3 div required 24 maps worth of sanctum runs to access. Not worth it, in my (admittedly very casual) opinion.

Yeah I only ran Sanctums cause I could do them really quickly and safely within my map juicing strategy. Like on the order of an extra 10s to 1min per map (depending on room type). That would be a lot of time for alch'n'go map blasting, but I was juicing a lot so they were already maybe like 5min maps anyways.

Also 2 div average was probably a little lucky, but I also never ran challenge relics and always maximized layout visibility wherever possible. So I had my relics and room-picking strategy set for maximizing rewards.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I strongly disagree with most of what has been said about Sanctum and think it's a reasonably good mechanic. I wish there were more rooms and the amount of rooms in a Sanctum vs how many rooms you get per map is too slow IMO, but the actual content is fine.

The relics to get a massive inspiration pool make the default experience trivial but there are unique relics to fix that. No healing, no inspiration relic felt like it should be an endgame default because it's at just the right difficulty to make it so that I shouldn't expect to ever lose a run but it was possible and if I lost a run it was obvious that I lost to my own fuckups. Original Sin is a little dumb with the fact that you can get a random projectile shot at you before you see the guard on screen, but losing an Original Sin run to a trap felt 100% in my control and a fuckup. This is not a feeling I get from the vast majority of things in this game that can kill you. You get enough agency to try to avoid actual bad afflictions but once in a while you get RNG screwed by affliction routing and that's a fine level of randomness for a mechanic like this IMO.

One major weakness is the limited number of rooms and guards. The guards are probably fine because I was immediately recognizing a guard visually and reacting in a certain way depending on which guard it was, but getting too many rooms in a row where you just jump to the end is pretty lame. I agree that boons generally don't do things that feel different enough, though 50% more damage is very noticeable. There are too many boons and afflictions that just have to do with healing resolve, having resolve under 50%, or poo poo with map visibility though.

Account bound sanctified relics are a nice bonus to have and the stats on them are made in a way that it doesn't cause any problems IMO. Having this system be account bound is a cool experiment and I think it's good for the game to have things like this long term. The rewards otherwise are actually the reason I kept feeling like I shouldn't be doing Sanctums towards the end of my time actually playing the league. I didn't really feel like there was anything worth replacing my current relics with (have a generic damage stats relic on one character and a 40% avoid shock one on another), and besides sanctified relics you basically only get currency from the mechanic. I already had finished 2/4 Original Sins and would probably get more currency just finishing maps like normal where I was doing the Winged Scarab strat.

For context my characters are an EA ballista elementalist and a Sparker I made as a glass cannon for Original Sin attempts. I had finished half a dozen runs on the ballista character only getting hit under 5 times, but never hitless, and after I finished 4 Original Sin attempts I switched my sparker to a reasonably tanky setup (90/90/90/77 res, ~4500 single hit health pool, 35k-40k armor) and did a few hitless runs with that setup without an actual Original Sin relic in play. If I was going to keep playing I would have made a melee 1 million armor jugg with 2 replica dreamfeathers, but I didn't really feel like doing it in the end.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I agree with the long assessment of sanctum. It was pretty garbage after a while, because even though the relics were account bound, most were the same old junk mods.

I got a couple that were useful, but the game gave me like ten of them that would have been great for RF had I been playing RF.

I also hated how it rewarded the same old problem of just destroying everything before the content appears. And making the defenses I put into my character irrelevant.

It does seem like they have a perpetual problem of dealing with the top percent of players. They should stop that and balance for SSF. The top dudes are always going to break their game. Adding more grind isn't helpful and its not fun.

Especially WRT bossing. I played with a friend and we saved all our invites + bought some and managed to get an omni and ashes drop in about 40 fights. But its crazy that for bossing to be worthwhile you have to do 100s to 1000s of runs for some of these things.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

wemgo posted:

Delve is so much more fun and is such a better “roguelite” experience compared to Sanctum that it boggles the mind.

Imagine delve, with only 32 depth, that requires an entire map’s worth of sulfite for each delve, and then resets when you either die or get to the bottom. Oh yeah, and there’s no azurite, no fossils/resonator rewards, no exploration (dynamite mechanic), and your HP is normalized during your runs.

I hope sanctum goes away, and good riddance if it does!
I thought Sanctum was neat until I realized that I don't like thinking while playing ARPGs and would rather just bulldoze everything in my path. I can do that in Delve, I can't in Sanctum. Plus the fact Sanctum rewards specific builds and punishes others makes it feel completely broken. Also the rooms where you have to kill one thing, then kill another thing, then kill another thing... just completely destroys the flow of the gameplay to me and feels like a waste of my time. If Sanctum were its own game I'd enjoy it much more but as a part of PoE it slowly became a drag to interact with.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 23, 2023

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm guessing poison in general gets nuked next league.

I feel like every meta ability had a poison variation that was easier and cheaper to build, and many could hit dot cap if you invested in it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i hope they don't nerf impending doom since i didn't get to play it this league but i think the range is going to get absolutely dunked

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I'm just hoping that Sandstorm Visage remains accessible because Hexblast Mine Trickster is a legit really good all-rounder build

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
They will 100% nerf poison to be garbage so that only Poison Spark is viable with it or something. I think it's been around 3 or 4 years straight of GGG nerfing all skills that innately do poison stuff or lend to it (Viper Strike, Scourge Arrow, Cobra Lash) and accidentally buffing any spell that can do poison into the stratosphere. At least Poco will finally be dead so people can go back to Toxic Rain levelling

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I'm just hoping that Sandstorm Visage remains accessible because Hexblast Mine Trickster is a legit really good all-rounder build

Sandstorm Visage enables so many fun builds. It's a generally just a power boost to self-casted spells, which is nice.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can see it staying in but eating a nerf of some type. The downside it offers of attacks not critting literally means nothing. Needs to be something else.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It does prevent it from being a slam dunk CoC item though

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dyzzy posted:

It does prevent it from being a slam dunk CoC item though

yeah this is the purpose of that mod

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MMF Freeway posted:

yeah this is the purpose of that mod

Dang I'm dumb. Yeah that tracks.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
One thing I will miss about Sanctum is dashing/charging through the portal to enter. It's like leaping through the Megaman boss door, I just have to do it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DangerDan posted:

They will 100% nerf poison to be garbage so that only Poison Spark is viable with it or something. I think it's been around 3 or 4 years straight of GGG nerfing all skills that innately do poison stuff or lend to it (Viper Strike, Scourge Arrow, Cobra Lash) and accidentally buffing any spell that can do poison into the stratosphere. At least Poco will finally be dead so people can go back to Toxic Rain levelling

Covenant is gonna be nerfed for sure.

I've been leaning on that poo poo hard since it was redesigned.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

graynull posted:

One thing I will miss about Sanctum is dashing/charging through the portal to enter. It's like leaping through the Megaman boss door, I just have to do it.

One thing I won't miss is accidentally going through the portal because something else that I want to click on is right next to it/several mobs of monsters surrounding it make it impossible to see.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
every time I get sucked in by the sanctum portal I say "schlorp" out loud and it still amuses me

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

theshim posted:

every time I get sucked in by the sanctum portal I say "schlorp" out loud and it still amuses me

I found myself wishing every door / portal worked the same way. I'm just so tired of needlessly clicking. suck me in daddy

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

Deki posted:

Covenant is gonna be nerfed for sure.

I've been leaning on that poo poo hard since it was redesigned.

Covenant is basically load bearing for most poison builds that don't have insane base chaos damage like Poco so yeah they'll probably make it like level 25 Added Chaos or some poo poo but keep the rarity the same

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
Sanctum is fun gameplay and the best league mechanic for a long time.

The bad thing about it is the rewards just being straight currency is kinda boring and it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

Also the fun challenge relics are too rare.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

DangerDan posted:

Covenant is basically load bearing for most poison builds that don't have insane base chaos damage like Poco so yeah they'll probably make it like level 25 Added Chaos or some poo poo but keep the rarity the same

Since this GGG we're talking about, they'll revert it back to level 15 ACD but not touch the added life mod or the drop rarity and call it a day.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Welp, Impending Doom is getting nerfed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwsQXnjeqA

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Welp, Impending Doom is getting nerfed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwsQXnjeqA

Rip, I shoulda played it before I quit. Oh well.

Since poison def isn't gonna get nerfed, this seems like an interesting option next league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvPMdQNAOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Since this GGG we're talking about, they'll revert it back to level 15 ACD but not touch the added life mod or the drop rarity and call it a day.

Also Poison is now only 50% as effective with Chaos Damage to make physical based poison builds more attractive given their vulnerability to reflect modifiers.