Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Now that the dust has settled on ff15 is it worth playing at all? How much is included in the Royal edition you can grab for free with psplus?

...am I gonna need to watch Kingsglaive and the anime?

Yes, it's good.

Don't need to watch the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think the characters they shouldve added given the added tracks are Biggs, Wedge and Jessie from FF7R and the missing scions from 14

did The After Years have no new music or did it suck or what lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXV is not really a game to be played so much as it’s a game to watch and vibe in. Like a movie but you can hang out in it.

The fishing is really good, but Breath of Fire 2 and 3 still have it beat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think the characters they shouldve added given the added tracks are Biggs, Wedge and Jessie from FF7R and the missing scions from 14

It's still hilarious/sad that we got two Y'shtola but 0 Papalymo. Also kinda surprising that there was no Alisaie.

I don't remember TAY but I do know that Revenant Wings was pretty much all recycled music from FFXII. If there was new music in that game I don't remember it.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

Everything about The After Years sucked.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's still hilarious/sad that we got two Y'shtola but 0 Papalymo. Also kinda surprising that there was no Alisaie.

I don't remember TAY but I do know that Revenant Wings was pretty much all recycled music from FFXII. If there was new music in that game I don't remember it.

Alisaie would be so miffed to find out she's not in it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's still hilarious/sad that we got two Y'shtola but 0 Papalymo.

I think the Theatrhythm is fairly specifically oriented towards FFXIV:ARR and Alisaie is almost entirely relegated to an optional questline in ARR.

Yda does go on to play a major role in an expansion and continue to be a major character. I think I forgot Papalymo even existed for the last few years until reading your post.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Super No Vacancy posted:

TAY was like 95% FF4 tunes with a few new tracks. They probably could've added the Mysterious Girl theme to the Series tracklist but really it's not that big an absence.

PuttyKnife posted:

I really want the Distant Worlds version of A Place to Call Home.

https://youtu.be/hskl2dTHYdk

But I haven’t seen any distant worlds stuff as far as I can tell.

I really hope they do a DLC4 of FF albums, they've already added a few in the DX content but there's so many good albums that they could do a whole wave of those, especially Distant Worlds.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, is Mystic Quest worth playing? Because these tracks kind of slap.

If you don't mind playing a very basic RPG, it's fine. It does some cool stuff that other RPGs should've copied much earlier (multiple enemy sprites to show how damaged they are, the ability to immediately retry a battle upon losing which took until loving FF13 to implement in the main series), but the story, characters, and gameplay are as basic as you get. The soundtrack does indeed slap though. I personally have a soft spot for it, and it's short, so I think it's nice to check out if nothing else. If it gets too boring, just listen to the OST on Youtube or whatever.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

TAY does turn golbez into a hot shirtless moonman which has gotta count for something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TAY in general does improve several characters, like if someone told you the best characters in a potential FF4 sequel would be loving Edge and Edward (both story-wise and gameplay-wise!) they'd think you're crazy, but it's actually true! Also it does add some new kickass woman characters (in exchange for making the women of the past game pretty lame, particularly Rosa and Porom).

It's a weird, flawed game with a really dumb story, but I still wouldn't call TAY bad. If nothing else, the end game is one giant fun-rear end dungeon crawler.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Having played the PRs I wish I could flip a toggle that lets me play the PR version of old FFs. The PR versions are really good!

e: Of Theatrhythm

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 22, 2023

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Anyone doing battle mode know if everyone gets hit with the same attacks/disables at the same time or is it pretty random? The full screen fat Chocos feels impossible to deal with yet I had someone FC it even after having strict judging proc at the same time. I know there's a lotta really good ppl just more curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

TAY in general does improve several characters, like if someone told you the best characters in a potential FF4 sequel would be loving Edge and Edward (both story-wise and gameplay-wise!) they'd think you're crazy, but it's actually true! Also it does add some new kickass woman characters (in exchange for making the women of the past game pretty lame, particularly Rosa and Porom).

It's a weird, flawed game with a really dumb story, but I still wouldn't call TAY bad. If nothing else, the end game is one giant fun-rear end dungeon crawler.

I also appreciate that Palom's plotline waa him having to come to terms with never being as good as Tellah and instead training the person who actually has that potential.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

It has a bunch of genuinely neat ideas but it's also very easy by design since it's a jrpg designed for people new to jrpgs, so a bunch of those ideas don't get to shine as much as they should.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

parasyte posted:

How would your PCB input multiple directions on the same stick? The Switch receives X and Y axes as single bytes each, 0-255, so a full left plus full right would return 127 (neutral) X, same for full up/full down as Y. Presumably the game is doing some conversion to polar coordinates from the values it gets to then get which direction is pressed, but at a hardware level you can't control that.

That's true yeah, I actually haven't checked the signal in analog mode. I was thinking about it as a dpad where you can literally send left and right (and the game has to know how to deal with that), but if you're mapping an analog to buttons presumably forward and back at the same time just sums out to zero

I think I'm just going to have to take apart a donor controller

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I also appreciate that Palom's plotline waa him having to come to terms with never being as good as Tellah and instead training the person who actually has that potential.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Palom/Leonara arc and how both characters developed over the game. Palom was pretty much what you'd expect a twenty-something Palom to be, and Leonara did a good job balancing the "timid and unsure" archetype with a couple "I may be that but I'm also not gonna put up with this particular poo poo" moments. Very weird teacher/pupil relationship in general, but it somehow works!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Heran Bago posted:

That wasn't Adel?

Guess it's time to card bugs on a beach for a few hours.

Adel is stuck in space and is so pissed off about it that she's the reason radios and stuff don't work properly. This is sorta visible in Timber, even, at the TV station

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Unlucky7 posted:

Just remember that it was designed to get kids aged 7 to 10 interested in the genre, so it's kind of front loaded with some fun introductory elements to grab ya. Even if you bounce after an hour or two or just the first story zone, it's a fun ride! Can't hurt!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's some serious peril in this game making me think about 4 heroes of light again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I should probably try 4HoL again at some point, some boss brick walled me early on and I gave up.

Then again there's a bunch of other games I want to try again too (like FF15!) so decisions, decisions...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like 4HoL but yo be honest you can just play Bravely Default.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I also got stuck on a boss at some point but I know my gamer sense has evolved since then so I could handle it

ImpAtom posted:

last time I played BD I got very near to the end of the second loop before I dropped it for something else. Farthest I've been in the game! I kinda hope they'll have an HD port of the game for the same platforms BD2 was on, then I'll really give it a shot.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Forgive me for the offtopic, but is BD2 worth playing? I did not hear much good about it, at least at launch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me for the offtopic, but is BD2 worth playing? I did not hear much good about it, at least at launch.

It is a very very safe sequel and doesn't do a lot special as well as has some clearly rushed elements. If you want JRPG combat and an acceptable story it is fun but Default and Second are much better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default 2 is good, but it's ever so slightly but clearly worse than its predecessors in all the things they did great, so it's a little disappointing.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Unlucky7 posted:

It's an ok game, the gameplay is very rough and there's a lot of parts of the combat system that just feel really bad, and the overall storytelling is also just worse, but if you're acheing for a game like it it exists I suppose.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

It is a very very safe sequel and doesn't do a lot special as well as has some clearly rushed elements. If you want JRPG combat and an acceptable story it is fun but Default and Second are much better.

Well now, I actually checked the stack of 3DS games I still have and turns out I still got Bravely Second :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Unlucky7 posted:

I disliked it at launch and sold it. now that some time had passed, I felt that I was being unfair, so I borrowed it from the library recently to give it an honest and sincere go. I went in with an open mind and gave it every chance and benefit of the doubt.. nope! still disliked it! 😬

its not bad by any means! it's just that the other two are so good! it's just, to me, a little too much squandered potential and sorta a waste of time when so many better Number Go Up games are out there now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

Only if it's on sale and you are very bored.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They called the third Default game Bravely Default 2

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

The third Xenoblade game was also Xenoblade 2 lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst part about Bravely Default 2 is the combat, which sucks because the best thing about Bravely Default/Second was the combat. I think it has to do with how they do turns. Should've just done FFX's turn system.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Heran Bago posted:

Alisaie would be so miffed to find out she's not in it.

The WoL isn't in the game so she doesn't care.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Having never played BD or BS, I won't know what I'm missing whenever I finally get around to playing BD2.

Lucky me!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kheldarn posted:

Having never played BD or BS, I won't know what I'm missing whenever I finally get around to playing BD2.

Lucky me!

yeah! youre not wrong 👀

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unlucky7 posted:

The gameplay is simple compared to other RPGs. But if you take it for what it is, what's there is great. As you said the music is great, and I love the various Wounded sprites,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I didn't get far into either BD1 or 2, but I did like 2's story and characters more of what I played. Then again I have a soft spot for boozehounds and the opposite for weird pervert characters, so...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gologle posted:

I'll never understand this. Bravely Second was a good game, why didn't they just name the third Bravely something that makes sense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I'll never understand this. Bravely Second was a good game, why didn't they just name the third Bravely something that makes sense

Bravely Second was a direct continuation of Bravely Default while BD2 is an entirely new setting/characters. They probably wanted to emphasize that especially since BS got knocked for so much recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, would the next one be called Bravely Second 2?