Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yuri is my job is a real good manga and I'm looking forward the anime. I hope the sound track just rifs on Marimite in places just to really hit on its setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh also the Heavenly Delusion anime is next season, that should be a cool one except disney+ has it, dunno why disney keeps picking up all the grisly thriller type series but hopefully they wont KO it like summertime rendering

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

oshi no ko seems cool but they're doing a triple-length first episode which is a lot to ask of newcomers, i already dont like double-length first episodes. should be a bunch of good character animators on it anyhow

Not just triple length, the first episode will be a full 90 minutes long.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

The 7th Guest posted:

Yuri Is My Job - uhh I mean I guess it's a better title than the German one they keep showing ("sisters in love") lol. i don't think the characters are actually literal sisters so much as it's the cafe's 'theme' or whatever. but i'm not really into CGCT shows by default anyway, unless they're super good. trailer didn't really sell it
it's not really about doing cute things, it's a romantic drama. (That briefly pretends to be a comedy.) The sisters thing is a genre signifier for gay romance harkening back to Maria-sama ga Miteru and such, since it's all about playing with those concepts & conceits.

The manga is very good, but I'm so far not very convinced by what they've shown of this adaptation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The early parts of Hell's Paradise are great, because it's a bunch of wuxia protagonists and antagonists finding they've been put up against xianxia antagonists and getting horrifically slaughtered. Then it turns into more of a regular fighting manga as the remaining ones catch up in power, but it's still pretty good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dmdp is narita ryohgo, which means, as usual, an ensemble cast of supernatural criminals. also as usual, many of the characters are great!

my home hero is frankly ridiculous. it's basically 24.

legendary hero is dead goes for the maximum in both silliness and horny. unfortunately, even if that sounds like your jam it definitely isn't going to get enough episodes to finish the story. it's a pretty long manga.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh also that shoujo gamer romcom is blatantly by the chihayafuru/ore monogatari director&team, no clue if the material is any good though

the only new anime originals are an edgy-looking magical girl show and a studio 3hz show about...sexy construction workers fighting toku villains?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

The early parts of Hell's Paradise are great, because it's a bunch of wuxia protagonists and antagonists finding they've been put up against xianxia antagonists and getting horrifically slaughtered. Then it turns into more of a regular fighting manga as the remaining ones catch up in power, but it's still pretty good.
what does this mean????????

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the gently caress is a wuxia

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's a more obtuse way to say the protagonists are humans with supernaturally powerful martial arts vs weird immortal monsters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The 7th Guest posted:

The Reason Why Raeliana Ended Up At The Duke’s Mansion - seems interesting, it's another "isekaied into a LN/otome" but this time the protagonist is sinister?? seems like it could have some mind games and v tense scenes if done well

I wouldn't say she's sinister, she just blackmails a dude.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Namtab posted:

namtab out here pretending he doesn't know what wuxia and every single wuxia derived term means

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Namtab posted:

Nothing much wuxia witchu?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

namtab out here pretending he doesn't know what wuxia and every single wuxia derived term means

theres only room in my head for anime, nursing and videogames

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i dont know what wuxia is, or any related terms

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'd prefer xuxa protagnists

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

SexyBlindfold posted:

Fair, guess I'll skip it then.

On the stuff I know about :

Started reading Galaxy Next Door after randomly stumbling into the japanese trailer on youtube. The premise is nice, the characters are cute, I like stories about mangaka, but by the third chapter or so there's a big exposition dump about the clauses of the ~alien marriage contract~ that kinda killed my interest. It's not ~problematic~ or anything, it just seems like it's gonna lead the plot somewhere annoying and boring.

I'm caught up on A Galaxy Next Door and the sci-fi-ish stuff ultimately doesn't matter to the plot that much (or at all tbh). The series is more or less exactly just a story about the soft start of a relationship. The fact that they're manga authors and the two little kids play into the story a ton more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

i dont know what wuxia is, or any related terms

Wuxia refers to a genre of Chinese martial arts/adventure focused fiction, like the historical action drama Hero or Fearless with Jet Li, or would also be applicable to Chinese themed fantasy settings like Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Xianxia is a fantasy subgenre, similar in some tropes to Isekai in that it is (a) Takes place in a Fantasy world, usually one with a more Chinese themed/derived setting. (b) Tends to involve certain specific tropes such as Cultivation, where the Hero/Heroine spends their time gathering energy in order to ascend to higher forms of strength, power, and/or existence which in the more typical versions of the genre means fighting ever increasingly stronger foes; there's obviously a lot of overlap with shonen anime and manga that you'd recognize; especially Dragonball Z.

A very good introduction to these genres/subgenres would be the Chinese web novel My Disciple Has Died Again which is a satirical take but is also played straight enough that you basically get a pretty good taste of the genre.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Know this from last season but drat Blue Lock is hype, as a sports anime fan. Finally we get a more action heavy soccer anime. Giving me mad Kuroko vibes for now. It ain't got some character building like Slam Dunk but so far it's very hype and no boring moment.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Xianxia is a fantasy subgenre, similar in some tropes to Isekai in that it is (a) Takes place in a Fantasy world, usually one with a more Chinese themed/derived setting. (b) Tends to involve certain specific tropes such as Cultivation, where the Hero/Heroine spends their time gathering energy in order to ascend to higher forms of strength, power, and/or existence which in the more typical versions of the genre means fighting ever increasingly stronger foes; there's obviously a lot of overlap with shonen anime and manga that you'd recognize; especially Dragonball Z.

A very good introduction to these genres/subgenres would be the Chinese web novel My Disciple Has Died Again which is a satirical take but is also played straight enough that you basically get a pretty good taste of the genre.
I've never read anything xianxia or cultivation, but this is still very very funny to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0WnLWT40g

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Coaaab posted:

I've never read anything xianxia or cultivation, but this is still very very funny to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0WnLWT40g

It's pretty close to the actual thing, just lacking in some scams and exclamations of "Truly tyrannical!".

I don't know if it's universal to the genre or just really widespread, but xianxia protags seem to all be two-faced, kiss-up-kick-down muderhobos.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think its protags follow a similar distribution in personality archetypes as in Isekai. Some good, many boring, some heinous. A land of contrasts, but it would probably track considering the xianxia protags that get parodied in MDHDA.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
video missing the females who look as pure as snowflakes falling in love with the mc for no reason or fierce snotty noblewoman that falls for him after he saves her one time

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its protags follow a similar distribution in personality archetypes as in Isekai.

ah, so its trash

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clarste posted:

I wouldn't say she's sinister, she just blackmails a dude.
no i'm saying the protagonist of the LN that she's isekaied into is sinister. the duke

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm assuming there's actually good modern xianxia with real literary merit rather than just webnovel shovelware (the genre's been around in something resembling its present incarnation since 1932, for Christ's sake), but I certainly wouldn't know where to start looking.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
don't know about literary merit.

but Thunderbolt Fantasy was fun

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming there's actually good modern xianxia with real literary merit rather than just webnovel shovelware (the genre's been around in something resembling its present incarnation since 1932, for Christ's sake), but I certainly wouldn't know where to start looking.

My Disciple Has Died Again I can recommend. I only noticed maybe two kinda cringe moments. But is otherwise pretty funny and enjoyable and has a female MC who is a QA Tester/Game Developer in her non-isekai life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

no i'm saying the protagonist of the LN that she's isekaied into is sinister. the duke

He's not the protagonist of the novel, he's the bad boy love interest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clarste posted:

He's not the protagonist of the novel, he's the bad boy love interest.
well, as I said in my post I don't know anything about the source material, but the trailer calls him the protagonist

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The 7th Guest posted:

well, as I said in my post I don't know anything about the source material, but the trailer calls him the protagonist

The protagonist of the novel she's isekaied into, not the actual story.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Caphi posted:

The protagonist of the novel she's isekaied into, not the actual story.
that's!!! what i'm saying!!! we're running in circles here

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Look I got confused about all this talk about the novel in the novel.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's ok. we got on the same page eventually. like my grandpa always says, "But if today is here for tomorrow, vacillating in the "blood" is karma's reward of the hero."

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Raeliana is cool, actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Well, I read the comic and that seems to be wrong. Maybe the confusion comes from the common term "male lead" to refer to the love interests.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Caphi posted:

Look I got confused about all this talk about the novel in the novel.

Look, it's pretty simple. The kid is sick, and his grandpa is reading him a novel. But it turns out, the novel has a whole bunch of extraneous stuff in it that the grandpa is editing out on the fly, that the narrator likes going on about as part of a whole meta bit. Very straightforward.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ulio posted:

Know this from last season but drat Blue Lock is hype, as a sports anime fan. Finally we get a more action heavy soccer anime. Giving me mad Kuroko vibes for now. It ain't got some character building like Slam Dunk but so far it's very hype and no boring moment.

Yeah it rules imo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah it rules imo

Feels like a mix of any sportsanime + survival type show. Which is such a unique idea. Also so far the pacing is really good. This is one of the things a lot of new shounen animes don't do properly. There is too much exposition, this just gets into it right away. We are not getting 20minute backstory for every single player why they are so op. Also I think it really does capture what it means to be a competitor and wanting to be better. Many of the other sports animes usually focus on the team aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ulio posted:

Feels like a mix of any sportsanime + survival type show. Which is such a unique idea. Also so far the pacing is really good. This is one of the things a lot of new shounen animes don't do properly. There is too much exposition, this just gets into it right away. We are not getting 20minute backstory for every single player why they are so op. Also I think it really does capture what it means to be a competitor and wanting to be better. Many of the other sports animes usually focus on the team aspect.

Yeah the matches and the emphasis on the players evolving their weapons almost makes it feel like Jojo-type stand battles to me. And agreed that when they do drop some backstory on a player they do it judiciously like this last episode with Bachira and the monster. They also do a good job of developing the relationships between the players through the course of the games; Isagi and Barou's interactions in the last game being a great example. It's just a good show!