Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think the art style being absolute poo poo on most of these DTV things also contributes to why they suck. I think in general good writing makes up for bad art better than good art makes up for bad writing, but if the writing isn't top notch you really need the art.

Like Batman Anime does not have good writing, but they went loving HAM on the art so it's watchable. The bullshit being pulled with the Discovery merger and all that makes me think they'll start licensing out stuff more for future animated productions, which will almost certainly lead to a lot of very boring cartoons, but will hopefully get a few new voices in their so something decent might also happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When they adapt well loved storylines they also tend to jam big action sequences into them for very little reason as well. Long Halloween had some issues aside (and the og story does too of course) but would have been a pretty decent animated adaptation if it didn't have a 5 minute scene in the middle where Batman fights some chinese assassins and then at the end if Falcone and his daughter didn't have a massive ridiculous shootout with Batman and Catwoman right before the fight with all the villains which would have served as the required action sequence finale on its own just fine.

The WWII/JSA one from a few years back was similar, starts off as your classic pulpy, Nazi smashing adventure thing. Almost decent but about halfway through it diverts from the JSA and the Flash from the modern era fighting nazis into the Atlanteans being the real bad guys somehow? It just turns into an entirely different thing pretty much and never recovers.

I think the only one I'd recommend for someone desperate for more JL/JLU style stuff would be the Justice League vs the Fatal Five one. It has Miss Martian and Jessica Cruz as focal characters and feels like it'd probably have fit in as a perfectly good, not amazing 2 episode story about those characters joining the Justice League in those shows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

The writers get handed a list of character beats from editorial that they're required to hit.

Damian Wayne's plot arc in every show/movie/etc is:
- Introduced as an insuffrable dickhead
- Suffers a hubris-based setback that forces him to rely on someone
- Maybe gets punched in the face often enough in the middle that he stops being insufferable
- Mellows out enough to become a team player

They're not building off of anything and they don't trust their audience enough to start Damian at Stage 4. If he's a major character he has to go through that arc every single time. And they do that for every character, even if the plot arc is one that was done much better in Justice League or Justice League Unlimited. They've boiled their characters down to plot points and they don't give the writers enough wiggle room to do anything fun in between.

Couple that with DC's over-reliance on mind control plots to have the good guys punch each other and it all just feels incredibly stale before you even start watching. I am so sick of Starro.
A lot of this just boils down to not trusting the writers to be able to distill a character down enough to figure them out quickly, something that JLU was forced to do given a 20 minute run time. I don't need Question's full story to have an enjoyable episode, and it only takes a couple seconds to show he's a weird conspiracy-theorist detective type.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anyone watch the Super Sons DTV movie?

Anyone... have a theory why after like an all time great run of animated TV shows the DC DTV flicks are such uneven, frequently terrible, nonsense?

should I blame Geoff Johns? I'm gonna blame Geoff Johns

You're probably not too wrong to blame him. I haven't watched a lot of them, but I know a lot of the DTV stuff is based on New 52 stuff, and Johns was one of the chief architects of the N52.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Doom comes to Gotham looks not Mignola-y enough, visually, but otherwise I'm looking forward to it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doom comes to Gotham looks not Mignola-y enough, visually, but otherwise I'm looking forward to it

Yeah kind of like how Gotham by Gaslight was only an adaptation of the original comic in the most loose sense(pretty much only "Batman fights Jack The Ripper" holds over from the comic) but still ended up being surprisingly enjoyable

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just finally noticed something.

Cesare and Gwynplaine were both played by the same actor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

Just finally noticed something.

Cesare and Gwynplaine were both played by the same actor.

Not the first time DC has crossed the streams with Batman and German Expressionist films, in fact considering the timing it's not unlikely the crew on Return of The Joker had read a copy of Batman: Nosferatu* considering the latter had come out in 1999

*the second part of a trilogy of German Expressionist inspired comics, following Superman's Metropolis and preceding Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon(with a fourth part planned called The Green Light that would have introduced versions of Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and a female Aquaman that unfortunately never materialized) that I definitely recommend hunting down because they are wonderful and weird in the best way

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Disney put the first two episodes of Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3geyQP2-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq9jpTwua2Y

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah it's pretty fun!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Random question: About what point does X-Men Evolution get good? I always heard it really catches its footing later in the series, but I've never been able to make it past the first 4 or 5 eps. So, it'll probably be easier for me to just skip to the good poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Random question: About what point does X-Men Evolution get good? I always heard it really catches its footing later in the series, but I've never been able to make it past the first 4 or 5 eps. So, it'll probably be easier for me to just skip to the good poo poo.

The first season is rough, the second season is better, the third season is cookin

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, while Season 1 is rough, I think it's important to where the show goes.

But if you need to skip stuff, I'd just go to start of Season 2. It's definitely way better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd say to at least watch Turn of the Rogue from the first season if you're going to skip the rest of the first season. But yeah, season 2 is better and I think each season then subsequently gets better than the one before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd say to at least watch Turn of the Rogue from the first season if you're going to skip the rest of the first season. But yeah, season 2 is better and I think each season then subsequently gets better than the one before.

Maybe throw in the the season one ending two parter, too, but agreed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there gets to be more plot over time, but I do feel like teenage angst and melodrama remained a core component of the show throughout, and while some of the later bits were neat, I never felt like the show was my kinda thing. So be aware of that if you're not liking it at all now.

Although if you think the later stuff might be more your thing, you could always try jumping into a later episode and and judge from some of that to see if the series is worth sticking to. There's no streaming cops. These shows in their natural environment on air you'd probably run into some out of order episode watching anyways.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

You should just watch all of Evolution because it's the only good animated X-Men show

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You should just watch all of Evolution because it's the only good animated X-Men show

The 90s show was loving iconic and Wolverine and the X-Men was way the gently caress better than it should be.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The 90s show was iconic.

That doesn't make it *good* though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vandar posted:

The 90s show was iconic.

That doesn't make it *good* though.

I've been meaning to revisit it for the longest time. I sincerely doubt it's held up but I dunno. My most recent memories of it are from Previously on X-Men.

Weren't they supposed to be doing a sequel cartoon to it or something? I remember posts about that in here a yar or two ago....

Abroham Lincoln posted:

But I agree with this.

"The X-Men but teenagers in high school' sounds like the worst fanfiction ever, but I think it works out really well. it's by no means perfect but I really love the "before and after" aspect of it. We see our heroes before mutantkind is known to the world, we see them in "normal society." That's part of why I think S1 is wroth watching but S2 works just s well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I liked Wolverine and the X-Men. Harrumph.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The 90s show was loving iconic and Wolverine and the X-Men was way the gently caress better than it should be.

The 90s show was fine for the time and it makes for some great Youtube clips, but the show itself has aged like milk.

I don't know what anyone who praises Wolverine was on when they watched it either, but it's got the same problem as late season Young Justice where the vast majority of it is just talking because there's no budget. 40 minutes of talking, 5 minutes of horribly budgeted action with a main character who can't really use his powers in that medium. Sweet kid's cartoon, that. Also? The opening is loving awful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The 90s show was fine for the time and it makes for some great Youtube clips, but the show itself has aged like milk.

I don't know what anyone who praises Wolverine was on when they watched it either, but it's got the same problem as late season Young Justice where the vast majority of it is just talking because there's no budget. 40 minutes of talking, 5 minutes of horribly budgeted action with a main character who can't really use his powers in that medium. Sweet kid's cartoon, that.
Yeah, absolutely all of this, 100%

quote:

Also? The opening is loving awful.

UH, MODS?!?!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Sockser posted:

UH, MODS?!?!

If your opening doesn't have a hummable catchy tune, it's a bad intro! It's just super generic "superhero" music from a library with random grunts over top.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If your opening doesn't have a hummable catchy tune, it's a bad intro!

MODS

MODS PLEASE

edit: no seriously, 90s X-men is not good but the intro music slaps

edit 2: it's also not from a library, it was composed for that show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbLbEYuDZEA&t=300s

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 23, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think people are posting at cross purposes here. I think poster Abroham Lincoln is talking about the opening to "Wolverine and the X-Men" being awful, not the 90's Fox X-Men cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw8uoMfhIjo

It's fine. It makes the show look more facist/post apocalyptic then it was. The theme is completely unmemorable.

From memory the show itself was decent. It tried bringing a bunch of interesting things from the comics in (Magneto setup in Genosha, Emma Frost, more X-Men lore.) So it was copying one of the best parts of the 90's show.
It also was sort of tangently linked to the Avengers and Spider-Man shows at the time, so it was the first taste for the linking of Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man properties that we are all thirsting for.

It also swapped the dynamic of Wolverine and Cyclops which was a good idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
X-Men TAS honestly holds up a hundred times better than Spider-Man TAS, a show that both looked worse and had the most bizarre, frenetic editing I have ever seen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Question IRL posted:

I think people are posting at cross purposes here. I think poster Abroham Lincoln is talking about the opening to "Wolverine and the X-Men" being awful, not the 90's Fox X-Men cartoon.

It's fine. It makes the show look more facist/post apocalyptic then it was. The theme is completely unmemorable.

Oh.

Yeah that's fine then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

X-Men TAS honestly holds up a hundred times better than Spider-Man TAS, a show that both looked worse and had the most bizarre, frenetic editing I have ever seen

See, that's another show I need to re-watch, because to my memory it was a lot better than X-Men TAS. its voice-acting certainly was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

See, that's another show I need to re-watch, because to my memory it was a lot better than X-Men TAS. its voice-acting certainly was.

I think Spider-Man TAS remains in the memory for being really, really odd at times and how aggressively it had to edit certain powers, like Morbius and his need for 'plasma' and the unsettling suckers on his hand. Also Morbius wound up dating Black Cat, so good for him.

Although a pox on the Marvel Animated wiki for reminding me about Spider-Man: The Evil That Men Do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All I can vouch for is the first season of Spider-Man TAS. After that I feel like the conspicuous re-use of old footage and his "what's less violent than an E for Everyone rating?" fighting style can really wear thin. In terms of voice acting and overall adaptation of characters and classic storylines it was cool early on but I would just recommend watching Spectacular again instead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spider-Man TAS has..more voice acting, I don't think it was better. The show really didn't like dead air, so Spiderman just does not stop talking. The whole soap opera melodrama may be more consistent, but you get less emotional depth. The original X-Men TAS may have gotten wacky, but it knew to stay shut up sometimes to let things sink in.

X-Men TAS got crazy and wild, which I think was very in the spirit of the comics it drew from, which were all about leaving any grounding behind with their wild adventures all around the world and even in space. It can seem wacky, but it keeps things interesting. There's a lot of wild screaming, but that's also a sign that the actors and show aren't shy about getting the characters to emote.

Woverine and the X-Men does remind me of Young Justice and a lot of what I've seen from the DTV DC movies. They don't want to seem too silly, so they end up sapping the energy from the slower moments and leave everything just very stiff. A lot of superhero stuff out there still has a weird anxiety about being mature, which is really self-defeating, because the inherent premise of superheroes has some kind of baked-in silliness that you can't get away from. It's fine, you can punch a bad guy and shoot some eye lasers.

Also I was checking to see if there was some X-Men cartoon I didn't know about, and found the first TV appearance of the X-Men ALLIES FOR PEACE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thBujNIgSnc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wolverine and the X-Men sticks out for the odd choice to make Wolverine the leader (which is fine, I guess) but still keep Cyclops and put him in a trench coat and be really mopey. The line between genius and madness is very small.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Question IRL posted:

From memory the show itself was decent. It tried bringing a bunch of interesting things from the comics in (Magneto setup in Genosha, Emma Frost, more X-Men lore.) So it was copying one of the best parts of the 90's show.
It also was sort of tangently linked to the Avengers and Spider-Man shows at the time, so it was the first taste for the linking of Avengers, X-Men and Spider-Man properties that we are all thirsting for.

It also swapped the dynamic of Wolverine and Cyclops which was a good idea.

FWIW, there's a better HD version out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGIukft1Gs

And, yeah, it attempts to establish a darker tone, and the theme, I think, is patterned to be more like Batman: The Animated Series, which I liked. It's not a banger like the X92 theme, but it definitely wasn't "terrible".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also Spidey TAS doesn't have Jubilee which is a huge point in its favor, I'm pretty sure.

I guess what I remember liking about both shows was the high levels of continuity. Everything that happened was connected and nothing was forgotten or episodic. Like, in S:TAS, Kingpin was behind basically everything. But they also did cool poo poo like their own version of Secret Wars where David Hayter voiced Captain America.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jubilee was better in the cartoon than she was in the comics.

Dawgstar posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men sticks out for the odd choice to make Wolverine the leader (which is fine, I guess) but still keep Cyclops and put him in a trench coat and be really mopey. The line between genius and madness is very small.

I believe at around the time of the cartoon there was a whole thing where the X-Men went through a weird schism, Cyclops and the "main" X-Men had gone increasingly awry after mutantkind nearly going extinct and forming a weird new theoretically sovereign nation state off the coast of San Francisco, and Wolverine of all people decided to go back to the X-Men's roots as a school (which technically Wolverine wasn't really around for when it was a school, but that's easily ignored).

It was a neat little arc where Wolverine basically stepped back from his own roots as a murder machine to learn to chill and become a soccer mom wrangling superpowered teens. It was fun. But also absolutely nothing like the cartoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

Also Spidey TAS doesn't have Jubilee which is a huge point in its favor, I'm pretty sure.

I guess what I remember liking about both shows was the high levels of continuity. Everything that happened was connected and nothing was forgotten or episodic.

Which was great if you kept up with it but it sucked when I inevitably had to do something else on Saturday morning and missed out on My DNA's Gone Fucky chapter MLXIII.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

he's technically supposed to be a widower but The Most Divorced Man Alive Scott Summers was a very funny spin on the character imo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also I was checking to see if there was some X-Men cartoon I didn't know about, and found the first TV appearance of the X-Men ALLIES FOR PEACE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thBujNIgSnc

Oh poo poo, it's the animated introduction of my favorite Marvel Superhero .... this guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a neat little arc where Wolverine basically stepped back from his own roots as a murder machine to learn to chill and become a soccer mom wrangling superpowered teens. It was fun. But also absolutely nothing like the cartoon.

Honestly the thinking behind this (and it has taken years for this idea to form) is that "Wolverine is this masterclass Samurai. A lone wolf, who is on the outs of society. But in the X-Men he finds a family and wants to protect them." And it then moved onto the next logical development of that character which was "For all his talk about being an outsider who doesn't play well with others, the core of Wolverine is that he is someone who has been brutalised and turned into a weapon. And he doesn't want anyone else to ever go through what he went through."

And when you understand that aspect of him, it makes complete sense why he would want to be in charge of a school for mutants.
Even more so than Cyclops, Wolverine should be in charge of protecting kids. Because he will do it in such a way that they don't lose track of what makes them human and not just mutant killbots.

Alaois posted:

he's technically supposed to be a widower but The Most Divorced Man Alive Scott Summers was a very funny spin on the character imo

The best part about Cyclops in that show was the episode where he believes that Mr. Sinister has gotten Jean Grey and he just goes on the crazy rampage trying to track him down. And Wolverine is trying to stop him because he's worried that he'll get hurt.
And all the while Cyclops is kicking so much rear end, you realize the only danger Scott is in is that he might break his toes from all the rear end he is kicking.