Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they've got a great big aids-riddled tumour where the "dealing with people" part of the brain should be

also is Atomic Heart worth the 70gig space requirement? anyone played it yet?

it's a solid 7/10 from the few hours I played. like bioshock, but someone actually made the gun fun to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

is it worth asking for scifi book recommendations in the book barn? i haven't poked my nose in there for a decade and i want some light reading recommendations, but it used to be just loving dreadful.

book barn is much better and I like it a lot now. the worst offenders are mostly gone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The salt the completely imbalanced Clan Invasion generated has lasted almost thirty drat years and is the main reason there's a stubborn contingent of 3025-only grognards who only want their videogames to cover the most mechanically uninteresting era in the game's history

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Famethrowa posted:

book barn is much better and I like it a lot now. the worst offenders are mostly gone.

There's also kind of a containment thread for making GBS threads on people that don't read "real literature" so the genre threads are mostly people who actually like that reading that genre.

The main thing I do with sci fi recommendations is have a quick look at the author's wikipedia page before diving into a book because there's some gross loving weirdos who have written sci fi books and you don't want to read 300 pages about quantum displacement drives only to get blindsided by a chapter of the author insert talking about their views on age of consent laws

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Thanks for the quick, concise explanation. The interactions of the stat leveling systems is the thing that always led me to bounce off Souls around mid game. I know I can look up a leveling guide but it's not as fun..

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

is it worth asking for scifi book recommendations in the book barn? i haven't poked my nose in there for a decade and i want some light reading recommendations, but it used to be just loving dreadful.

TBB is much better these days, especially the genre threads. I lurked that board forever without posting because I hated the whole "smug mid 20s english lit dork has extremely strong opinions on genre fiction" vibes, but it's chilled out substantially

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Unsolicited scifi suggestion: collections of the old EC comics are worth a read.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I really like Destiny 2 but I swear the game actively makes you frustrated. I don’t really play much but I’ll play through the stories.

I was part way through the witch queen story when I log on today and it immediately throws me into the last mission for the latest season. Like I get that the season is almost over but at least ask me lol.

Shooting aliens is fun though. I really like the gun play and the story bits.

The grinding is garbage and I don’t really do that.

I used to play the hell our of Destiny 2 but burned out hard - probably because I played the hell out of it - a while ago and have just lacked the motivation to go on.

I played about an hour is Ishin last night, but have been dealing with a headache all day today so probably won't play anything tonight.

EDIT: LOL, I just got an email from Bungie recruiting for some two-week Destiny focus group thing? "You will be required to play at least 18 hours (9 hours per week) and complete up to 3 hours of diary entries while you play. You may be selected for a follow-up 60-minute interview as well." Yeeeaaaahhhhhh, Uh, I think I'll pass, even for the $400 you're offering.

Cthulu Carl has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Feb 23, 2023

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbb is still aids sometimes but i don't frequently get in trouble for making fun of the weird people so pretty good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bed of Chaos is the worst designed boss in any Souls game by dozens of miles

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

I used to play the hell our of Destiny 2 but burned out hard - probably because I played the hell out of it - a while ago and have just lacked the motivation to go on.

I played about an hour is Ishin last night, but have been dealing with a headache all day today so probably won't play anything tonight.

EDIT: LOL, I just got an email from Bungie recruiting for some two-week Destiny focus group thing? "You will be required to play at least 18 hours (9 hours per week) and complete up to 3 hours of diary entries while you play. You may be selected for a follow-up 60-minute interview as well." Yeeeaaaahhhhhh, Uh, I think I'll pass, even for the $400 you're offering.
The game is so bad, you won't take 18 bux an hour to play it and tell them it's rubbish?
Ooof

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

The game is so bad, you won't take 18 bux an hour to play it and tell them it's rubbish?
Ooof

I never really considered it bad, I just burned out on it really hard. I came back a few times but the expansion after Forsaken where they blocked off pretty much all the areas in the main game and started making levelling changes made my Warlock pretty much useless unless I grinded for better gear, and I just don't have the motivation for that at this point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I consider it bad.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I liked Destiny 2 but last time I played it was whenever they gave it away for free around the time of Forsaken. And it was fun, I liked being a Sun Titan and chucking flaming hammers into aliens but nothing truly hooked me so I fell off around Season of the Drifter

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tarnop posted:

The main thing I do with sci fi recommendations is have a quick look at the author's wikipedia page before diving into a book because there's some gross loving weirdos who have written sci fi books and you don't want to read 300 pages about quantum displacement drives only to get blindsided by a chapter of the author insert talking about their views on age of consent laws

lol yeah that tends to be a real time saver

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I dled Atomic Heart from Gamepass when I saw it actually has pretty low system reqs (I’m still rocking a 7 year old 970) but haven’t played it yet

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just remembered "Everyone who died for their country is a clown" story.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I haven't peaked in the genre threads, but if you are cool with branching out, I've gotten some good reads from lurking the 'what I just finished reading' thread or whatever. I just skim until I get to something interesting. Gotten some good fantasy books from there.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Boba Pearl posted:

lmao I thought of this a couple days ago completely unbidden, still hilarious

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

pretty sure my computers gpu died, rip. now to find a new one that is compatible with my ten year old motherboard lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Boba Pearl posted:

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

beautiful

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I dled Atomic Heart from Gamepass when I saw it actually has pretty low system reqs (I’m still rocking a 7 year old 970) but haven’t played it yet

Its surprisingly well optimized!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

pretty sure my computers gpu died, rip. now to find a new one that is compatible with my ten year old motherboard lol.

That shouldn’t be an issue. It’s just a matter of how much you want to spend / you psu being up to it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

lobster shirt posted:

Ouch

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Played too much Fortnite today.nprobably will tomorrow too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

I'm having flashbacks to when my computer's PSU died like the day after I moved into the dorms for college.

I was playing Jedi Academy and my roommate was like "Whoa, those are good graphics" and right at that moment something in the PSU just detonated.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I hated House of Leaves so much I thought I should never read again just to be safe. Don't trust goon book recommendations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
House of Leaves is a meme book. do not close your heart to books. instead, close your hearts to memes

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

My wife's computer had the power supply get fragged by a power outage during a storm a couple weeks ago, which also bricked the motherboard :rip:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rodbeard posted:

I hated House of Leaves so much I thought I should never read again just to be safe. Don't trust goon book recommendations.

most books that get recommended to me online are loving awful lol. my pro method is there's some freak in tbb who posts all the Amazon sales in fantasy/sci Fi every week and if more than one person says one of them is good then it probably is. hasn't steered me wrong yet. if they write a bunch of dumbass words about it, it sucks though.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

That shouldn’t be an issue. It’s just a matter of how much you want to spend / you psu being up to it.

oh really? i am stupid about computers lol, i just assumed having ten year old components meant really good stuff just wouldnt work. well, i have another kid starting daycare soon so i cant exactly break the bank on a high end boss video card anyway. my power supply is 650w so i think i should be good in that regard... gonna be a fun trip to microcenter!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

oh really? i am stupid about computers lol, i just assumed having ten year old components meant really good stuff just wouldnt work. well, i have another kid starting daycare soon so i cant exactly break the bank on a high end boss video card anyway. my power supply is 650w so i think i should be good in that regard... gonna be a fun trip to microcenter!!

You could easily slot in an AMD 6600 which should be in the 200 range.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

lobster shirt posted:

you wouldve been right if the part that fried was a cpu instead

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

I would ask in the sci-fi wifi, a still intensely nerdy but much better forum

nice. i'll give it a shot.

Pinus Porcus posted:

I haven't peaked in the genre threads, but if you are cool with branching out, I've gotten some good reads from lurking the 'what I just finished reading' thread or whatever. I just skim until I get to something interesting. Gotten some good fantasy books from there.

oh absolutely. i don't normally read exclusively any one genre, i'm just in the mood for sci-fi (preferrably vancian/gene wolfe-esque dying earth kind of far future stuff) after a week of teaching philosophy in my second language. i need something easy to shut my brain off with while I recover.

Larry Parrish posted:

most books that get recommended to me online are loving awful lol. my pro method is there's some freak in tbb who posts all the Amazon sales in fantasy/sci Fi every week and if more than one person says one of them is good then it probably is. hasn't steered me wrong yet. if they write a bunch of dumbass words about it, it sucks though.

yeah, this is a real risk, but i figure if i go in thinking i'll probably get like 80% bad recommendations of people's personal wank preferences, then i can pretty easily filter them.

WarpDogs posted:

TBB is much better these days, especially the genre threads. I lurked that board forever without posting because I hated the whole "smug mid 20s english lit dork has extremely strong opinions on genre fiction" vibes, but it's chilled out substantially

good to know! it was awful in all sorts of ways, so it's hard to imagine how it could have gotten worse, i suppose.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Feb 23, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

reluctant to enter this tournament

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I guess the question wrt books is what do you like in things you read? Do you care about quality of prose, plot contrivances, ease of reading, want something different, want something light, etc

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Heath posted:

I guess the question wrt books is what do you like in things you read? Do you care about quality of prose, plot contrivances, ease of reading, want something different, want something light, etc

i want something cool that is not pure trash or a collection of the writer's horrible fetishes. but sci-fi and genre stuff can easily be great literature too. wolfe and le guin certainly pass muster there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it has to be written at a competent level and it has to not be masturbatory power fantasy. there's a lot of forms this can take but basically i don't like books without conflict. it doesn't particularly matter what form it takes, but there has to be some and the solution to it has to be something other than a variation on Goku screaming even harder and becoming more powerful. this sort of conflict resolution structure is basically emblematic of genre fiction but especially cheap, quickly written genre fiction. even stuff like romance novels often has this structure, just presented in different ways.

also, quippy writing is for the loving birds and i put it down instantly. gently caress joss whedon and anyone who writes like him lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

it has to be written at a competent level and it has to not be masturbatory power fantasy. there's a lot of forms this can take but basically i don't like books without conflict. it doesn't particularly matter what form it takes, but there has to be some and the solution to it has to be something other than a variation on Goku screaming even harder and becoming more powerful. this sort of conflict resolution structure is basically emblematic of genre fiction but especially cheap, quickly written genre fiction. even stuff like romance novels often has this structure, just presented in different ways.

also, quippy writing is for the loving birds and i put it down instantly. gently caress joss whedon and anyone who writes like him lol.

yes, yes, and a million times yes to the last one.