Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Obnoxipus posted:

man, i know it's obvious but every time i see manga bring up the fact that two women in a relationship are usually going to be seen as just friends, no matter how affectionate they are, it does feel pretty bad. i'm tired of store clerks telling me and my partner that we're "best friend goals" and stuff like that, it's cute but we've also been in a relationship for almost a decade so it kind of stings knowing that people just assume that's what's going on.

look at this way: their ideal (probably same-gender) 'best friend' is a (probably same-gender) spouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's been on my reading list for a couple months now, I finally got around to reading Hikizan Tautology and definitely recommend it. I'm not sure if it's been linked before, but search didn't find anything at least. The art starts slightly rough I think but it improves, and overall I really enjoyed it. I find the main characters really compelling, and I've especially found the story's take on negative/cruel interactions and relationships to be pretty interesting. (spoilers for very recent chapters) The obvious example here is the story it tells about Reika and her clearly abusive relationship with Yurika which reminds me of Fumi's similar relationship in Sweet Blue Flowers, though I liked it better here for a few reasons. But also many other relationships, for example how the deadbeat dad is primarily being framed as a bad parent through the challenges his kids face without him, with only Tsubame - a character the reader doesn't know very well and has also been given reasons to have misgivings about - actually disliking him in-story so far and the primary framing of his introduction is from his daughers who love him. Or the various milder depictions of Yurika and Minamo's struggles at school with more petty and thoughtless cruelty of kids, or Yurika's dad poorly communicating with his daughter. Overall the story seems very preoccupied with the variety of ways we can hurt others even without intending to, sometimes even without anyone to blame for it.

I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes in the next few chapters, since it seems a fair few storylines are primed to start firing soon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Last chapter of Brides of Iberis
All in all, manages to have a pretty decent ending despite getting canceled way before its time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Last chapter of Brides of Iberis
All in all, manages to have a pretty decent ending despite getting canceled way before its time.
I dunno, I completely bounced off of it.

It seemed to me that Namami seemed addicted to love, in the sense t hat she wanted as many people to love her as possible which is not generally a healthy way to start a relationship, and since that's on top of Mitsuki discovering later in life that she's either bisexual or lesbian without acknowledging that she's doing so while she's in a relationship with Jun is, at least for me, a step too far in the direction of throwing causes of angst at the plot.

There are absolutely people who could pull off handling that much angst, but given that the mangaka's other story is Octave, which has a similar theme of wanting to be loved at seemingly any cost, I'm not sure that I'll be reading whatever the mangaka next publishes - unless it's like one of the two one-shots, since I vaguely recall those being alright.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I dunno, I completely bounced off of it.

It seemed to me that Namami seemed addicted to love, in the sense t hat she wanted as many people to love her as possible which is not generally a healthy way to start a relationship, and since that's on top of Mitsuki discovering later in life that she's either bisexual or lesbian without acknowledging that she's doing so while she's in a relationship with Jun is, at least for me, a step too far in the direction of throwing causes of angst at the plot.

addicted to love is a weird mis-characterization. like she just falls hard for a woman that isn't compatible with her poly relationships. which, yes isn't healthy but not because of an addiction to love.
what do you mean acknowledged jun? this feels like a weird thing to say. she figured out she was a lesbian later in life and had a bad case of the comphets, why is it important to the manga go out of its way to show she is aware she is figuring this out while dating him more than it already did?

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 27, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

addicted to love is a weird mis-characterization. like she just falls hard for a woman that isn't compatible with her poly relationships. which, yes isn't healthy but not because of an addiction to love.
what do you mean acknowledged jun? this feels like a weird thing to say. she figured out she was a lesbian later in life and had a bad case of the comphets, why is it important to the manga go out of its way to show she is aware she is figuring this out while dating him more than it already did?
I guess what I'm missing from the story is more scenes that show that Nanami and her two lovers are all happy with things being in a poly relationship, but instead we get Nanami talking about how Mitsuki's boss is actually a very jealous type:

As for the latter part, I guess I've just read too many lesfic novels where the character discovers later in life that they're not as straight as they thought they were, and have either already dumped the person they were with or end up dumping them very early on in the story.
On the other hand, I have a very hard time reading anything that inovlves cheating - which I know is weird coming from someone who's been in a poly relationship for several years at one point, but to me there's all the difference between being open about being in a poly relationship and being a cheater.

Maybe all of this is a result of the manga being canceled too early; I don't know the timeline on that. Maybe it's all a giant misunderstanding based on me reading the manga wrong.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 27, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I guess what I'm missing from the story is more scenes that show that Nanami and her two lovers are all happy with things being in a poly relationship, but instead we get Nanami talking about how Mitsuki's boss is actually a very jealous type:

As for the latter part, I guess I've just read too many lesfic novels where the character discovers later in life that they're not as straight as they thought they were, and have either already dumped the person they were with or end up dumping them very early on in the story.

Maybe all of this is a result of the manga being canceled too early; I don't know the timeline on that. Maybe it's all a giant misunderstanding based on me reading the manga wrong.

that dude's entire thing is like he is into that though. they straight out say that earlier. which if you think is weird like that is more of a him thing than a her thing.

do you see why it feels weird to say it like you did, since its basically saying a lesbian who has just figured her stuff out needs to properly acknowledge the man in this lesbian story. and like the story does show she handles that a bit messy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, that's a fair point.

I didn't really mean that Mitsuki needed to acknowledge Jun as you put it, more that I'd prefer it if characters in stories acknowledge that cheating isn't okay instead of cheating - it's got nothing to do with Mitsuki finding out she's lesbian/bi later in life (it's a big part of a story, which is my all-time favorite lesfic novel, that I'm currently re-reading).

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm pro-messy women who gently caress up a lot under the influence of other messy women.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/_satsunyan/status/1612083866499682305

i of course made sure to put baru cormorant in "your favorite "yuri" works (everything is allowed)" section

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
someone just quoted this in a discord i was in.

quote:

Again via Yuri Daily, Ohsawa Yayoi’s short Takeout Dekimasuka? will be getting a stage adaptation! This will have 6 performances, March 10 through 12 at Performing Gallery & Cafe Ezorabako. The comic upon which this play is based was part of her 2DK, GPen Aftertime Short Story Collection from 2021.

omg!!!
its been linked in here a few times but its this story

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
It's such a good oneshot. The ones with the "idiot couple" tag usually are. I'm left wondering what accent the delivery lady has originally - I know when the translators give them a southern drawl or something they're usually speaking with a Kansai dialect, but not sure if other regional accents get the same treatment.

This reminds me that the spanish subs for the new Ice Guy And Cool Colleague anime gave the titular ice guy a chilean accent when he gets excited, which just, lol, lmao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell, I just read the chapter of Nishi Uko's Collectors where they share their first meal, and that gave me chills it was so powerful.
It finished being scanlated about half a year ago, and I'm just catching up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Collectors is the greatest

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very good imo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh my, that's an absolutely delightful opening.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/this_is_bl_not_yuri

These dudes are gay, in both ways; yay!

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
is this that "lesbian yaoi" Twitter keeps talking about /s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
3 new chapters of Alcohol and Orge Girls!! Get your drink on!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its been a while, but two new chapters of kill switch. Some fun developments in these 2, I missed our motorcycle lesbians.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Watashi wa Kabe ni Naritai

The story of an asexual fujoshi, a closeted gay man, and their marriage of convenience.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/6e05cfy/watashi-wa-kabe-ni-naritai

I thought it'd be really awk but in the actual manga 1st vol, I thought was sweet and yet sad due to unrequited love and I like it more than other works based on the same ideas. I'm just really happy we get to see more positive experiences of MC being ace instead of well you're going to die alone forever.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

big happenings at Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Finally

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want to date miss landlord

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ring My Bell author's new series has been really solid, only 4 chapters in so far though.
Possibly the best woman x broom GL of all time?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1617598038855356416

I rmb reading her mini-comic a few years ago but now it's finally a complete manga vol. I'll pick up the digital copy soon but I related a lot to the MC more than any other kind of romance manga I read before orz.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Too Blue To Call Love by Sinkun is a new manga that seems to have an interesting direction.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's "run around and see which manga I want to read are actually finished" season and Mangadex has The Witch's Servant and the Demon Lord's Horns listed as finished?? :derp:

It looks like the scanlation stalled out last year and is 11 chapters behind though!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

ToxicFrog posted:

It's "run around and see which manga I want to read are actually finished" season and Mangadex has The Witch's Servant and the Demon Lord's Horns listed as finished?? :derp:

It looks like the scanlation stalled out last year and is 11 chapters behind though!

I'm still checking it every few weeks but I fear it may be gone :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

I'm still checking it every few weeks but I fear it may be gone :(

It looks like there's an official translation now, but (a) it's even further behind than the scanlation and (b) it's mobile-only even if you pay for it and I'd rather spend an hour trying to kick myself in the face than try to read manga on a cellphone.

Just let me pay money for a cbz, goddamn.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/gangsta_girls_ch01

cw: violence

drat, it feels good to be a gayngsta.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ToxicFrog posted:

It looks like there's an official translation now, but (a) it's even further behind than the scanlation and (b) it's mobile-only even if you pay for it and I'd rather spend an hour trying to kick myself in the face than try to read manga on a cellphone.

It looks like they're up to chapter 73 so at least it won't be too long. But gently caress, I don't want to read manga on a goddamn cellphone.

EDIT: here's the official, by the way: https://global.manga-up.com/manga/95

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
we need a new thread title, this joke (i wrote) sucks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > the NEW lgbt manga/anime thread: This joke I wrote sucks

Real answer:
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > the NEW lgbt manga/anime thread: Just kiss already!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, wanting the characters to finally loving kiss is pretty universal for gay poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im using my op veto for that one
we could go back to the old style of subtitle where it was used to passive aggressively tell people to read a series

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Putting in another mention for Happiness Rides a Broomstick which had a new chapter drop today. Story is still in the early stages but its the same author as Ring My Bell and I am already charmed by it.

Oh going to throw in a mention for I Love Amy. Seeing the premise in this medium might lead one to believe its a yandere motif thing but its not. Pretty off beat story. Has enough weirdness to get over the ennui from going "oh, yet another school setting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

im using my op veto for that one
we could go back to the old style of subtitle where it was used to passive aggressively tell people to read a series

I always appreciate these.

2DK is updating regularly again. That could be advertised perhaps