Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

hatty posted:

The later levels are much shorter or at least feel that way

yeah I beat the game the other day i was replaying the early levels scrounging for collectables like a disgusting mole creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gb2 imp zone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

I’ve got 2 destinations left for full mastery on HITMAN.

What a game. I really should do the post-Hitman-1 stuff but I will probably be playing Lost Odyssey, also on Xbox Backwards Compatibility instead.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Snacksmaniac posted:

Like 20/20 or like all the little tiles lit up?
Just 20 Mastery on each destination. I initially started going for every single challenge (I’m 91/91 on Paris) but that’s kinda daunting and I wanted to unlock more stuff and learn the levels more for Freelancer. I wouldn’t mind going for near 100% challenges in the future because I think they’re fun and add variety, but that’s just gonna be a casual play thing and not something I obsess over.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have 20/20 on all but the new map. I did all the challenges in the story missions but it burned me out bad. There are some gems and funny kills in the challenges though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

webmeister posted:

Leaving GamePass on March 1st:

• ⁠Alien Isolation (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Crown Trick (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠FAR: Changing Tides (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Lightning Returns: FFXIII (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Madden NFL 21 (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Octopath Traveler (PC/Xbox)

Everyone please do play FAR: Changing Tides, it's my fav game so far this year, mostly because it was a very pleasant surprise (not a huge Triple-A game but definitely do play).

It's a little FTL, a little Limbo/Inside, the devs quote Journey as an influence (never played it but I might after this).

Listen, it's short (3-5hrs), it's indie (made by 4 swedish dudes straight out of uni), it's not particularly replayable unless you REALLY want all the achievements... it's just a cute little adventure with simple physics puzzles that even dumb ol' me could figure out (I'm not particularly into puzzle games).

I found this review from a poster with good taste in games:

MikeC posted:

As I get older, I find less and less enjoyment from AAA games that seem to just do the same thing except 'bigger, louder, more mechanically advanced', and have been playing more indie stuff. Games that have a nice story or atmosphere. One game that really got me was Far: Changing Tides. It's a side-scrolling light puzzle game that doesn't really do anything new or exciting but it reeks of soul and atmosphere. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world that doesn't make the mistake that many other games in this setting do, that is concern itself with what happened. The apocalypse has happened and you just live in it. There is no dialogue. None is needed and there is just the hint that there is someone, somewhere far away you are scheduled/intended to find/meet/rejoin. So you leave aside your lovely flooded abode and set off into the unknown and you will let no barrier stop you as you sail through a ruined water-flooded landscape. It has simple puzzles, has zero replayability, and is probably very low in a dollar/hour sense but it is a game that I remember and will probably remember for a while.

Just a wonderful surprise, a very chill experience, I mean the worst thing is the title, which I keep forgetting (a bit generic I guess?). But I enjoyed this game so much I went out of my way to come and post about it here, these guys need to make more

edit: I just looked and the previous game in the series is 80% off, I dunno if it's as good as the more recent one but here you go, a couple of bucks is probably worth it
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6835/FAR_Lone_Sails__Digital_Collectors_Edition/

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 23, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

reviewers were not kidding about the english VA, the tone is so much different than the russian VA, in a bad way... that's kind of what i wanted to avoid

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hi fi rush was so good god drat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so far the two best games I've played this year are ones I only learned about hours before I played them (pizza tower is the other one)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Everyone please do play FAR: Changing Tides, it's my fav game so far this year, mostly because it was a very pleasant surprise (not a huge Triple-A game but definitely do play).

It's a little FTL, a little Limbo/Inside, the devs quote Journey as an influence (never played it but I might after this).

Listen, it's short (3-5hrs), it's indie (made by 4 swedish dudes straight out of uni), it's not particularly replayable unless you REALLY want all the achievements... it's just a cute little adventure with simple physics puzzles that even dumb ol' me could figure out (I'm not particularly into puzzle games).

Just a wonderful surprise, a very chill experience, I mean the worst thing is the title, which I keep forgetting (a bit generic I guess?). But I enjoyed this game so much I went out of my way to come and post about it here, these guys need to make more

edit: I just looked and the previous game in the series is 80% off, I dunno if it's as good as the more recent one but here you go, a couple of bucks is probably worth it
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6835/FAR_Lone_Sails__Digital_Collectors_Edition/
Swiss, not Swedish :colbert:

The first game is a bit simpler (the vehicle has fewer mechanics) and much shorter, still very worth it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

I’ve got 2 destinations left for full mastery on HITMAN.

That's alotta game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played an hour of atomic heart and I cannot recall playing an immersive sim shooter with dialogue and plot writing this incredibly loving bad. I successfully avoided the rick and morty game and landed into one even more poorly thought out. also what the gently caress with these captions

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heeded the warnings and had it on Russian from the start and it's just normal lol.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Atomic Heart seems to be the bad side of Eastern Euro jank, im hoping that Stalker 2 doesn't fall in the same bucket. The original stalker games owned despite the jank and GSC is easier to root for just for being Ukrainian instead of a relocated Russian studio. Either way game pass stays winning

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I heeded the warnings and had it on Russian from the start and it's just normal lol.
yea the tone of the Russian voice acting is way less overdone and makes it a little more bearable. the english guy trying to sound like Steve Blum is a voice that doesn't really fit. charles' voice doesn't 100% fit either although it's i guess a type of 'smug robot' voice

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Atomic Heart comes off like they had a lot of ideas but didn't actually know how to link any of them together, so you get oddities like trying to do Bioshock-style stuff in an open-world environment like STALKER, which I feel are two design philosophies that are fundamentally at odds with one another.

Anyway, I got Hi-Fi Rush off Game Pass and that was a real treat. Usually, I'm very bad at games like this (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc.), but I think it did a very good job explaining what every attack does and, more importantly, what you use it for. I dunno if recent action games in that vein have been doing this, but it's nice to actually know why you should buy something; HFR is always kind enough to say something like, "You buy this to extend combos!", or, "You get this attack because it builds up your special attack meter faster!" Also, the cat was really cute.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Noted game curmudgeon Yahtzee had the best commentary on Hi Fi Rush I've heard which was that game companies know how to make a good game like Hi Fi Rush, they just choose not to make them and instead pump out live service bullshit. Dropping it without any hype build out of the blue showed the confidence that they knew it was a banger.

He of course loved it like anyone should

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

priznat posted:

Noted game curmudgeon Yahtzee had the best commentary on Hi Fi Rush I've heard which was that game companies know how to make a good game like Hi Fi Rush, they just choose not to make them and instead pump out live service bullshit. Dropping it without any hype build out of the blue showed the confidence that they knew it was a banger.

It's weird they're only charging $30 for it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Out of curiosity I clicked on the "Celebrate Black History" tile on Game Pass and it's a pretty wide loving selection from Age of Empire 2 to Dreamlight Valley to Grounded to Mass Effect. While I'm sure black people were involved in all of these games it seems if the scope is that wide it's not really celebrating anything!

"What did you do to celebrate black history month?"

"I played Minecraft!"

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

priznat posted:

Its impressive that a lot of the devs on it seem to be fairly new; for example, the director (John Johanas) seems to have started his career in game development with Tango's first game, The Evil Within. I mean, that's a decade back but compared to how long people like Shinji Mikami have been around, that's not much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

elf help book posted:

they’re charging $0 for it , in fact

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they’re charging $0 for it , in fact

godly gaming for the masses

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I wish I liked HiFi Rush more, I thought it would have cool traversal like jet set radio or sunset overdrive and then I actually played it and felt disappointed.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone else playing Atomic Heart on PC having the game lock up a lot? Like I went probably 5 or 6 hours without issue and in the current section I am in it has locked up multiple times all in the same general area. My gut is telling me it is the copy protection tripping on some false positive since I have been able to reproduce it but I have no idea what is actually doing it.

As for the game, it is fine I guess. The voice acting and writing is annoying. The enemies later on are basically bullet sponges and will rock you out of nowhere like you are made of glass even fully decked out. I think it would have been a stronger game if they just leaned into the Bioshock aspects. Everything just either feels out of place or janky as gently caress. The platforming is god awful due to the awkward movement. The puzzles are more annoying than thought provoking. The combat is awkward as best. It is all very disappointing because the world and concept is fantastic and it looks great. It is a shame that the execution is so poor. If they would have just made it a story based shooter like Bioshock without everything else they tried to do it would be stronger.

I’ll end up finishing it as long as the lock ups don’t force me to give up due to frustration, mostly because I want to see how they tie a bow on this story since I am so far but I don’t think it is good enough to recommend to others.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

elf help book posted:

It's a $15 game in terms of value.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

After the very cool intro and piece of worldbuilding, I was very much on board with Atomic Heart. But after a couple of hours, I find myself to be bored out of my skull.

It does the same thing as games have been doing for the past 20 years. Just a bunch of too dark corridors, get 3 items to power up another item while stuff is attacking you, etc...
After watching the trailer, I was looking forward to some outside environments but I don't know if I have the patience to get there. The dodging mechanic feels awkward, annoying platforming mechanics.

The horny fridge is cool though, and I like that you can use your axe on dead bodies and amputate some limbs. Very cool.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Yeah, the first 30 minutes were good, the rest has been AIDS. I probably won't finish it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1glitch0 posted:

Out of curiosity I clicked on the "Celebrate Black History" tile on Game Pass and it's a pretty wide loving selection from Age of Empire 2 to Dreamlight Valley to Grounded to Mass Effect. While I'm sure black people were involved in all of these games it seems if the scope is that wide it's not really celebrating anything!

"What did you do to celebrate black history month?"

"I played Minecraft!"

welcome to corporate diversity

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got outside of the facility and into the open world in Atomic Heart finally, and getting out of the little opening cabin without every robot in the world descending on you is nearly impossible lol. there's robots with cameras that do constant sweeps, and also cameras at every corner and if you destroy them, some robot will come around while you're not paying attention and restore it.

i did start exploring some neighboring houses and making my way through the village, but then i died and it sent me... back to the opening cabin. gently caress me, cmon

i miss when games had quicksave/quickload

also the game's only real element of immsiminess in the facility was that sometimes there was a little wall porthole you could climb through to a side hallway. what really stunk the works up is that you can get behind things and duck into little alleys/corners, but they don't put anything there! all these little hidden spaces and they do nothing with 'em! it makes exploration entirely unrewarding

i don't know how much longer i'll commit to it, it's really teetering on the edge between tedium and tension and it could fall either way. ctrl-alt-ego whips this game's rear end

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 23, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

American McGay posted:

Just 20 Mastery on each destination. I initially started going for every single challenge (I’m 91/91 on Paris) but that’s kinda daunting and I wanted to unlock more stuff and learn the levels more for Freelancer. I wouldn’t mind going for near 100% challenges in the future because I think they’re fun and add variety, but that’s just gonna be a casual play thing and not something I obsess over.

You might know this already, but some of the challenges are basically meant for contracts mode. For example, Sapienza wants you to kill a target by pushing them down the well near the church. Another one is to drop the church bell on them. These are nearly impossible to do in the main mission since the targets don't go near these places. With contracts you can just rely on NPCs who are just begging to be eliminated in those ways.

Don't be afraid to use guides for challenges that say [REDACTED], for the first game they loved creating challenges for ridiculous easter eggs that the community had to figure out. You are not going to stumble on the secret "Rep Tires" exit in Colorado by yourself. The other games still have easter eggs, they just didn't all get a challenge (like the secret exit in Berlin).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I just completed it a couple days ago in preparation for it leaving, and really enjoyed it once I got the hang of controlling the ship. I think it could've done without the speedrun achievement but otherwise it's a cool little indie.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1628671845133156352

Based on what he's said in recent years, he's probably retiring. Pity, but he set up Tango to cultivate new talent and damned if he hasn't accomplished exactly that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Omon Ra posted:

It's a $15 game in terms of value.

there's a flesh-eating parasite inside your brain

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1628671845133156352

Based on what he's said in recent years, he's probably retiring. Pity, but he set up Tango to cultivate new talent and damned if he hasn't accomplished exactly that.

:(

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if you like those new hitman games, check out blood money. Its drat good

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i started atomic fart and got to the point where there's the cameras and the guy is like "i can throw something to distract em and hit them with an emp" but i couldn't figure out how to hit em with an emp. uninstalling the game.

it's a lot like a fallout game and is pretty good imo. the intro with the big celebration reminds me of bioshock infinite which is kinda lol but i'm ready to play more

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

barnold posted:

i started atomic fart and got to the point where there's the cameras and the guy is like "i can throw something to distract em and hit them with an emp" but i couldn't figure out how to hit em with an emp. uninstalling the game.

it's a lot like a fallout game and is pretty good imo. the intro with the big celebration reminds me of bioshock infinite which is kinda lol but i'm ready to play more

bioschlock infibutt was a bad game but this one is worse.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

if you like those new hitman games, check out blood money. Its drat good

It has great missions but the engine/control feels really outdated after WOA. I need to find a disc so I can try it on BC.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think I enjoyed Bioschlock Infibutt more than Atomic Fart

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

barnold posted:

you can just shoot 'em with a shock pistol from afar and take 'em down in like 3 shots without upgrades, 2 shots with a dmg upgrade

wait until you get outside and the cameras regenerate after 30 seconds though!! (or i guess don't, since you are uninstalling lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/ForzaHorizon/status/1628077217468100627