Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

we maintain habitat for pheasants and then hunt them, does that count

shelter belt trees seeded with milo/millet

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
im not sure what you're objecting to there. it's literally habitat / wildlife conservation.

id also submit that maintaining habitat then hunting and processing your own wild game is a hell of a lot better (ethically, ecologically) than factory farming

its not much different than raising chickens or other poultry for eggs or meat

edit: when I say seeded with milo/millet, I mean you plant them there as feed and habitat. not just like, sprinkle seeds for the birds to eat.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 23, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Fritz the Horse posted:

we maintain habitat for pheasants and then hunt them, does that count

shelter belt trees seeded with milo/millet
that counts, i prefer that method to barn farming

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
there are some commercial hunting lodges near us that raise captive pheasants then stock them on their land. then the rich assholes from Texas or wherever get drunk and go blast captive-raised birds. that poo poo loving sucks and is gross

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

there are some commercial hunting lodges near us that raise captive pheasants then stock them on their land. then the rich assholes from Texas or wherever get drunk and go blast captive-raised birds. that poo poo loving sucks and is gross

In some cases they even have tax exempt status and have guys like Don Jr in their donor database lmao

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fritz the Horse posted:

This reminds me of an episode of King of the Hill where Hank takes Bobby to a 'hunting' resort.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

Why are there so many sad stories like this

Just let birds live free, you assholes (not you Fritz)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fritz the Horse posted:

Anybody get dick cheneyd out yonder

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
i havent heard of any cheney'ings but im sure it happens all the time.

if you and a bunch of morons throw back a few beers and go try and hunt things that sure sounds like gently caress around and find out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I just can't really think of anything less appealing than shooting tame birds on a hobby ranch turned shooting gallery. Well except for megafauna hunting tourism

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
it's rich white guy toxic masculinity safari

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does anyone else find it weird that everyone has seen millions of adult pigeons, but nobody has ever seen a baby pigeon in the wild?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know you are doing a bit, but

quote:

Rest assured, baby pigeons, or squabs, do exist—and there’s a good reason you’re not seeing them. It’s partially due to where the birds nest: Pigeons, also known as Rock Doves, build their nests in places that mimic the caves and cliffs that their ancestors used in the Mediterranean. “In New York City, they’re building their nests anywhere they can find, any opening on window sills, on roof tops, under bridges—preferably somewhat protected places,” says Charles Walcott, Professor Emeritus at Cornell University and former executive director of the Lab of Ornithology. “There are lots of nice artificial cliffs that people have erected in New York.”

The other reason why squabs are rarely seen is because of how long they stay in the nest—for about a month to six weeks, “until they are effectively an adult size,” Walcott says. City dwellers typically think of pigeons as rats of the sky, but it turns out that the birds are usually pretty good parents. “Both males and females tend the young and feed them,” Walcott says. “If one of the parents dies, it becomes tougher for the remaining one to raise the young. But often the young will survive.” Baby pigeons survive on a diet of pigeon milk—digested epithelial (or skin) cells made in their parents' crops—until they’re old enough to eat some solid food. “The parents regurgitate charming things like corn kernels and so on,” Walcott says. Pigeons are mostly grain-eaters, by the way (their ancestors foraged grain from fields), though according to Walcott, “McDonald’s French fries will do just fine, thank you.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

I know you are doing a bit, but

Sounds like bullshit to me.

If Doctor Charles Walcott is telling the truth and he's seen them tons of times, then why didn't he take a picture with them?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sounds like bullshit to me.

If Doctor Charles Walcott is telling the truth and he's seen them tons of times, then why didn't he take a picture with them?

There are several threads for cute animal pictures in PYF

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

There are several threads for cute animal pictures in PYF

How many have Doctor Charles Walcott?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sadly hunting is actually one of the number one ways to conserve animals because it puts a dollar value on them and makes them valuable. Humans are really dumb. White guys killing elephants for toxic masculinity has really helped their numbers and gives locals a reason to oppose poaching since it's cutting into money.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sadly hunting is actually one of the number one ways to conserve animals because it puts a dollar value on them and makes them valuable. Humans are really dumb. White guys killing elephants for toxic masculinity has really helped their numbers and gives locals a reason to oppose poaching since it's cutting into money.

Something about this post makes me incredibly uncomfortable

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Like, it's really loving awful. It's a great insight into how weird we are. Should we conserve animals to not destroy the environment? Drake No. Conserve them to make fat stacks and making sure foreign hunters have a ready supply to kill? Drake yes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/09/28/763994654/why-botswana-is-lifting-its-ban-on-elephant-trophy-hunting

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lib and let die posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfN6lgxedEI

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

My posts should always make you feel uncomfortable, like buying smokeware at a sex shop.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I didn't actually know that about African safaris but I guess I'm not surprised.

also I kind of want to suggest gojm start 6ering LALD until he gets a new av because Spermy Glesias is haunting me. i do respect the effort that went into it tho

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

I didn't actually know that about African safaris but I guess I'm not surprised.

also I kind of want to suggest gojm start 6ering LALD until he gets a new av because Spermy Glesias is haunting me. i do respect the effort that went into it tho

This is violence

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All due respect to EHF, but telling someone to skip DS2 should be a bannable offense.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Like, it's really loving awful. It's a great insight into how weird we are. Should we conserve animals to not destroy the environment? Drake No. Conserve them to make fat stacks and making sure foreign hunters have a ready supply to kill? Drake yes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/09/28/763994654/why-botswana-is-lifting-its-ban-on-elephant-trophy-hunting

Exploiting our worst traits for the benefit of the ecosystem is kind of genius, even if a bit...reverse-Faustian?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nah, DS2 sucks.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, DS2 sucks.

Many people are saying this!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

The real posting meta is posting to earn an avatar

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is a good video and gets into one of the big things, we already hosed up pure conservation. We can't undo the fact that we have taken over the planet and have destroyed the major habitats. In a system where everything has a dollar amount the best option is to figure out how to put a huge dollar amount on the things we want to preserve.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, DS2 sucks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nah, DS2 sucks.

Reported for violating III.B, do not attempt to incite violence that is illegal in the United States

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It obviously made sense to play DS2 when your options were DS2 and DS1. But now when you have so many options available to you? Nah. Hell it even made sense when it was your only option for cool power stancing but we have Elden Ring now.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
nobody has ever made a good post about dark souls

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
let's all argue about what an isekai is next

or an alignment chart, that's always fun

hey is this a sandwich

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

let's all argue about what an isekai is next

or an alignment chart, that's always fun

hey is this a sandwich

What is an isekai?

Like, literally what is it?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What is an isekai?

Alice in Wonderland

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

What is an isekai?

a genre originating in japan, where a viewer-surrogate protagonist lives a mundane life but is killed and wakes up reincarnated in a different, fantastic world, usually one that is very conventional in some way

usually there's some satirical element. some hobby makes the protagonist especially well-suited to the other world, mocking that hobby or its fans, or the protagonist is genre-savvy and sees all the plot beats coming. although now the story may end up mocking those conventions as often as it adopts them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cease to Hope posted:

nobody has ever made a good post about dark souls

Arguments about Dark Souls, even if they're just intended to be jokes, are unbelievably tedious and unfunny and are many many years out of date

Now if you'll excuse me

*clicks Final Fantasy megathread*