Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The obnoxious song made me glad my washer and dryer had WiFi so I could disable the tune and just get push notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We recently bought an appliance (electric kettle) with a feature I didn't know was possible- no beeps, no chimes, no sound at all. You push the button, it turns on, it makes the water hot. It's very nice, but they must not have the technology yet to put that feature in bigger appliances.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My grandma’s dryer sings a song that’s literally like 60 seconds long. It drives me up the wall

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Epitope posted:

We recently bought an appliance (electric kettle) with a feature I didn't know was possible- no beeps, no chimes, no sound at all. You push the button, it turns on, it makes the water hot. It's very nice, but they must not have the technology yet to put that feature in bigger appliances.

I'm sure they're working on implementing it as a subscription service.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SaaS

Silence
as
a
Service

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our old washer would ding for like an hour after a load was finished. Kind of like timers on ovens... it'll have that initial long and annoying beeping, then stop for a bit and play again every once in a while as a reminder.

We turned that off pretty quick, and then with our new washer and dryer we immediately disabled the sound before knowing how annoying it might end up being.

Like I get it for cooking food. And I kind of get it for a washer in that you don't want it to sit too long in the washer... but gently caress off with that, I'm disabling it.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

companies really need to figure out some better noises to make other than loud high pitched beeping. way too many things in our house just make loud beeps that sound basically the same

the worst is our ventless dryer that can condense the water into a big container, and when it gets full it stops and screeches the loudest loving beeps that sounds like a smoke alarm going off

That's why newer machines play little tunes now. They borrowed this from loud factories where different equipment plays a different song so you could quickly identify which equipment needed attention.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DaveSauce posted:

Our old washer would ding for like an hour after a load was finished. Kind of like timers on ovens... it'll have that initial long and annoying beeping, then stop for a bit and play again every once in a while as a reminder.

We turned that off pretty quick, and then with our new washer and dryer we immediately disabled the sound before knowing how annoying it might end up being.

Like I get it for cooking food. And I kind of get it for a washer in that you don't want it to sit too long in the washer... but gently caress off with that, I'm disabling it.

That's why newer machines play little tunes now. They borrowed this from loud factories where different equipment plays a different song so you could quickly identify which equipment needed attention.

With an oven it's at least somewhat understandable -- if I miss the initial beep and it doesn't beep again, there could be a serious problem. With a dishwasher, once it's done it's just done. If I miss the beep, my dishes are just sitting there clean.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm pretty down with the Zojirushi finished cooking song

https://youtu.be/84qfdRg7UjI

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Shifty Pony posted:

Beat me to it, I got a Zojirushi a while back that my uncle was giving away. Was definitely not expecting twinkle twinkle little star the first time I started it lol

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Bosch's $1400 800 series just uses a red light, what the hell I feel ripped off

Ah, it's fine; the red light is cool enough. I love the 800.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

companies really need to figure out some better noises to make other than loud high pitched beeping. way too many things in our house just make loud beeps that sound basically the same

the worst is our ventless dryer that can condense the water into a big container, and when it gets full it stops and screeches the loudest loving beeps that sounds like a smoke alarm going off

It's usually designed to be as irritating as possible.

Our older Kenmore dryer has a 'completed cycle' alarm that sounds like an amplified recording of a prison door lock solenoid being energized, or a shot-clock buzzer. Fortunately it's easy to turn off, because it's pants-making GBS threads time if you're nearby when it fires off.

The range has a much quieter timer alarm, but holy poo poo did they ever find the most annoying frequency. It loving whines.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 23, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thank~ you for the washing
Thank you for doing the wa~shing
Thank~ you for the washing
Thank you for washing my clothes!

(I stopped buying LG when my second top-loader developed exactly the same fault as the first in the same timeframe.)

Tremors posted:

The obnoxious song made me glad my washer and dryer had WiFi so I could disable the tune and just get push notifications.

Bosch dishwasher has wifi but it won't connect to a network unless it has a password for some reason.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I was legitimately angry that my new range/oven required an internet connection to unlock half the physical button features.

Thankfully not a permanent connection, but definitely had to hit an activation server.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

I was legitimately angry that my new range/oven required an internet connection to unlock half the physical button features.

Thankfully not a permanent connection, but definitely had to hit an activation server.

:psyduck: what the gently caress? Are they worried someone's going to pirate an oven?!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I would have returned it as soon as I discovered that lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

brugroffil posted:

SaaS

Silence
as
a
Service

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress? Are they worried someone's going to pirate an oven?!

You wouldn't download... an oven, would you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

I was coming here to mention that! It's a little funny happy moment in the day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zojirushi rice makers have multiple songs programmed in that you can select for start/finish.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

My in laws have it and every time I hear it, I think of the Lincolnshire Poacher numbers station

https://youtu.be/QnXPqUU6fI0

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Appliance makers have discovered the wonder (read: revenue generation) of data mining.

They haven't quite figured out how to make an internet connection useful to most consumers, though. Piddly poo poo like push notifications for "cycle done" just aren't enough for most people, and maintenance reminders are just annoying.

Safety issues prevent this from being truly useful. Our new washer/dryer won't let you remotely start a cycle unless you press/hold a "remote start" button on the unit first. This is to prevent you from firing it up with a child inside it or something. So really it's no different from a time delay at that point... not sure if it kills after a cycle or only after the door opens. Would be nice to re-spin a dryer cycle maybe? I guess you could run a wash cycle, throw it in the dryer and run it, go to work, and then remotely spin the dryer back up to de-wrinkle stuff by the time you get home. Hyper specific use case, though...

Can't remember where I found it, but I was reading an article about this the other day... turns out most people don't even connect their appliances, and manufacturers are struggling to figure out how to get more people to do it. The features are secondary, frankly... they're a carrot to try to get people to hook their devices up so the manufacturer can get usage data (among god knows what else they're skimming from your network).

So it's only a matter of time until they force the internet connection, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if a bit after that you'll see subscriptions start to roll out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

GE Profile Connect.

Air fry, convection roast, and several other modes that had LITERAL buttons all were "please connect to WiFi to use these modes."

And by connect to WiFi they mean register an account, download and use their app, then pair your stove.

I would have returned it instantly if it had required an always on connection, but thankfully as soon as it got it's activation I deleted the app and kept the range offline.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That sounds suspiciously like they're taking a manufacturing approach of, "install all features in every model and activate only what was paid for."

Best case is it's trying to force you to register the warranty... the old school data mining technique.

Worst case they install the physical hardware in all units and set pricing according to what is enabled/disabled, and the phone home is to make sure someone didn't buy a cheaper model and hack it to enable the expensive features.

Worster case it's a proof of concept of the tech needed for a future subscription service.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Note to self: don't get a GE Profile Connect.

I mean I totally believe you, I'm just trying to speculate as to the dumbass reasons they could possibly use to justify this. Not a single one I can think of is good for the consumer.

edit:

so this goes back to what I was saying earlier: manufacturers are desperate for ways to get people to connect their appliances so they can mine data. I'm guessing this maybe falls in to the logic of, "let's take these lesser used features and tease people in to connecting, after which they will forget to turn it off." Can't fault the logic... those aren't deal breakers for most people, so people adamantly against connecting won't miss them, and you don't totally brick the oven so you can make some reasonable claim that the oven works fine without a wifi connection.

And frankly most people will just say "fine whatever" and connect it to avoid the trouble of not having those features, whether they use them or not. And naturally they'll forget to disconnect it.

It's gross any way you look at it.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 23, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Painting effortpost time! Hoping PainterofCrap can weigh in.

So with a few of our "smaller" projects wrapping up, I wanted to get some advice on wtf to do about my dining room/kitchen, and to a lesser extent, bedroom.

My dining room is painted over, poorly applied wallpaper, thanks POs. It's lovely from the top coat of paint likely down to the drywall, cause my POs.. well, we all know POs. Here are some example photos of what I'm dealing with:

Then another tricky part is there's this fairly visible crown.. wallpaper poo poo that circles the entire dining room/kitchen:

I also have a similar kind of visible wallpaper line in my bedroom, about 4' off the ground:

So, with all this shittiness, I've been ghosted by three separate painting/drywall companies. Didn't even get the gently caress Off Pricing, probably because it'll be a huge pain in the rear end, and isn't really a big project that's worth it to them. This means I'm trying to think of what I can do to remedy this garbage!

I know the best answer is to hang new drywall in all this poo poo, but that's just not possible for me, for a few reasons, so I'm wondering if I'm able to perhaps cut around/off the "most" affected areas and skim coat over them, so I can actually paint.

I know this is not a great idea, I'm just hoping it wouldn't be the absolute worst thing I can do. Would this just immediately begin peeling the wallpaper around where I cut? Would it just exacerbate the wallpaper peeling shittiness? Luckily the worst areas are kind of in the part of the dining room that sees the least number of people, so I know this possible solution wouldn't be perfect, but could it be passable?

(Apologies if images are hosed up, phone posting and about to head into work!)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You could put 1/4" drywall on it, tape and finish all that. You could prime everything and skim coat it and texture or smooth it with drywall compound as well. I think steaming and peeling the wallpaper would be a nightmare and I'd rather rip off the drywall and replace it at that point of I had to.

So personally I'd prime it all with high quality primer, and skim it with drywall mud. Then texture it of needed or shoot for a smooth finish with more mud.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DaveSauce posted:

Appliance makers have discovered the wonder (read: revenue generation) of data mining.

They haven't quite figured out how to make an internet connection useful to most consumers, though. Piddly poo poo like push notifications for "cycle done" just aren't enough for most people, and maintenance reminders are just annoying.

Safety issues prevent this from being truly useful. Our new washer/dryer won't let you remotely start a cycle unless you press/hold a "remote start" button on the unit first. This is to prevent you from firing it up with a child inside it or something. So really it's no different from a time delay at that point... not sure if it kills after a cycle or only after the door opens. Would be nice to re-spin a dryer cycle maybe? I guess you could run a wash cycle, throw it in the dryer and run it, go to work, and then remotely spin the dryer back up to de-wrinkle stuff by the time you get home. Hyper specific use case, though...

Can't remember where I found it, but I was reading an article about this the other day... turns out most people don't even connect their appliances, and manufacturers are struggling to figure out how to get more people to do it. The features are secondary, frankly... they're a carrot to try to get people to hook their devices up so the manufacturer can get usage data (among god knows what else they're skimming from your network).

So it's only a matter of time until they force the internet connection, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if a bit after that you'll see subscriptions start to roll out.

So I have a set of the Samsung Flex Washer/Dryer machines that I bought a little less than 5 years ago. They don't stay connected to Wifi worth a poo poo and I got tired of reconnecting them all the time. I even have a SmartThings hub, and I just gave up on them. The push notification that a cycle was done was nice, but we never used any of the other features. I can see where the remote cycle start would come in handy, but as you mentioned it's very specific on how you have to set it up. I can see how setting a load up in the morning and then triggering it to start at 4pm so the cycle finishes when you get home from work might save some time, but the wifi connection is so drat unstable on these machines it's not worth screwing with. I'm someone who has Wifi connected everything almost and even I said gently caress it to the washer and dryer.

I can't find the article/tweet/blog but I recall someone dug into how their new Wifi Connected oven was being remotely controlled, I think it was a Whirlpool, and it ends up it was like an unauthenticated session to a jabber server where it just checked for commands to run. I really wish I could find the article but my googlefu is failing me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

You could put 1/4" drywall on it, tape and finish all that. You could prime everything and skim coat it and texture or smooth it with drywall compound as well. I think steaming and peeling the wallpaper would be a nightmare and I'd rather rip off the drywall and replace it at that point of I had to.

So personally I'd prime it all with high quality primer, and skim it with drywall mud. Then texture it of needed or shoot for a smooth finish with more mud.

Yeah there's no way I could completely hang new drywall on it, that's just a non starter.

Why would you prime before skim coating it? And you're talking the entire walls, right? Not just the affected areas?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The right way to do it would be to scrape/peel/steam all the wallpaper off, then mud and sand the drywall to get a good surface. Alternately, like StormDrain said, put 1/4" drywall up and tape and mud that to get a good surface. Accepting that you can't do either of those options I'll say this: anything you are going to mud over at least needs to have the loose wallpaper pulled up. So given that you're not going to peel it all off, at least identify and remove all the areas where the wallpaper has already separated. You can physically apply mud over the separated wallpaper but the bubbles will show through the mud, and possibly crack it. So it won't look good.

I recommend a utility knife, a scraper, and a wallpaper tiger tool (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-Wallpaper-Scoring-Tool-338845/305457507). Maybe some wallpaper remover spray. You'll see mediocre reviews on the paper tiger and the reason isn't that it's a bad tool, it's that removing wallpaper sucks no matter how you do it.

Anyway, my recommendation is: go around the room a few times. Maybe in dim light with a flashlight at an angle to really highlight the bad spots. Use the utility knife to cut around the loose wallpaper. Remove what you can by hand. Then use the scraper. If it's still on then wet it down with wallpaper remover or just water. Then hit it with the tiger. After that clean the walls. If there's any areas where your removal has torn the drywall paper you might want to hit it with zinsser aerosol primer before mudding, as mudding over unprimed torn drywall paper can cause bubbling. After that just mud and sand until you are happy with it then paint and prime as normal.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

whole lotta good advice

Excellent, thanks! I know all the problem areas already, lol, so that part shouldn't be tough to identify them.

So what about the crown wallpaper stuff, that's not bubbling up so would I be able to skim coat over the very visible straight line of it then sand it down to an acceptable level, or would you rec like cutting that bit off, too?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Tear it all out!!! Update any mechanicals and add structured wiring at the same time

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

StormDrain posted:

I'd rather rip off the drywall and replace it at that point of I had to.

Just as a heads up to everyone: be sure to confirm there aren't any unexpected consequences if you pull down significant sections of drywall.

The owner of the house I'm currently in removed the ancient warped drywall in the main living space during a modest renovation. In doing so they unintentionally voided the grandfathering of the electrical and plumbing systems since large portions of both were now accessible and there were active electrical and plumbing permits on the property. Everything had to be brought up to modern code, which meant the entire house had to be taken to the studs.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 23, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah there's no way I could completely hang new drywall on it, that's just a non starter.

Why would you prime before skim coating it? And you're talking the entire walls, right? Not just the affected areas?

The primer is to help the drywall compound adhere. We always spec to prime walls before adding texture. If something is glossy the compound won't adhere well and just come off in a sheet. And primer is cheap and fast to apply. If you're priming part of the wall just do the whole room in my opinion, then the paint will have a consistent substrate. I have a few spots in my bedroom that are dull and some that are too glossy because I failed to follow my own advice and just did spot patching.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

The primer is to help the drywall compound adhere. We always spec to prime walls before adding texture. If something is glossy the compound won't adhere well and just come off in a sheet. And primer is cheap and fast to apply. If you're priming part of the wall just do the whole room in my opinion, then the paint will have a consistent substrate. I have a few spots in my bedroom that are dull and some that are too glossy because I failed to follow my own advice and just did spot patching.

Awesome, thanks for this info!! Guess that answers my "should I prime the entire bathroom" question too, lol

slurm posted:

Tear it all out!!! Update any mechanicals and add structured wiring at the same time

Sure thing, how do I send the invoice to you? :angel:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Just as a heads up to everyone: be sure to confirm there aren't any unexpected consequences if you pull down significant sections of drywall.

The owner of the house I'm currently in removed the ancient warped drywall in the main living space during a modest renovation. In doing so they unintentionally voided the grandfathering of the electrical and plumbing systems since large portions of both were now accessible and there were active electrical and plumbing permits on the property. Everything had to be brought up to modern code, which meant the entire house had to be taken to the studs.

Holy hell, what did they do to piss off the inspector?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Holy hell, what did they do to piss off the inspector?

Yeah, that story doesn't pass the sniff test. This isn't how the i-codes work. So unless this was some weird jurisdiction there's one or more missing parts of that story.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I don't know man, I had a similar issue where an inspector demanded some structural changes, and the contractor I hired to do it, the engineer, and the city building department could not understand why.

They have a great deal of power, and there don't seem to be many avenues for recourse. Especially since they decide how much time and money you need to sink into this.

Maybe not all inspectors are as professional as you were?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

More people need to learn how to push back, because very few inspectors are very good at what they do. Especially on the building side of things. It's largely failed builders/GCs with gigantic chips on their shoulders.

Edit:

Jenkl posted:

They have a great deal of power, and there don't seem to be many avenues for recourse. Especially since they decide how much time and money you need to sink into this.

You don't need "many" avenues, just the one specified by code: a UCC review board. They get taken to task in a few of those and their employment will disappear.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 23, 2023

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I've absolutely known inspectors who were petty tyrants but it's worth knowing that that experience is exceptionally lovely and not something you should plan for or expect. (and probably where you'd want to hire a lawyer if you did encounter it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

One weird trick AHJ's hate: Simply do you work unpermitted!