Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It was good fun but I've not really thought about it since watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I enjoyed it, Jonathan Majors was great, the writing was pretty eh, and I have no idea why everyone thinks we're supposed to be taking MODOK seriously.

Fun but forgettable, and I definitely liked it more than the second movie

e: and even though I've seen a good chunk of Disney+ leading up to this point in time, including Wandavision and Loki, add my voice to the pile of people that are kinda tired of doing homework for a movie

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 21, 2023

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

MCU chat always reminds me of this timestamped bit from Gregg Turkington talking about Alice Cooper

https://youtu.be/JrEMi__HEr0?t=117

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of the things missing that I think would have been good to include is Scott grappling with this all probably being his fault.

He was the one who discovered the potential for time travel and brought it to the Avengers. So he is responsible for the events of Loki and thus Kang himself (though he wouldn't know this part). Then he was the one who made a podcast about everything. It's not hard to imagine a young Kang (whatever his name was before) in the future using that knowledge to perfect time travel. He does face responsibility for MODOK, but I think this would have been good to solidify the theme further.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
He doesn’t know about Loki or anything really, out of all the avengers, he has the least idea or info of anything going on.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I already completely lost interest when they said werewolves

I also don't follow along anymore, the girlfriend will watch the TV shows and whatnot like in the same room as me so I kind of hear about the plots by osmosis, but I don't actively watch them and I haven't watched many Marvel movies where I was the one paying for where the ticket. Like I didn't see rings I don't care to see rings, I don't really, like I saw the Spider-Man ones and I saw the Doctor Strange ones cuz I like those, but following along and seeing all the tiny little Easter eggs like I don't care anymore it's just it's too much work

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 21, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rings?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shang-Chi, I'm guessing. Or Sonic the Hedgehog.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what is the origin of that thread subtitle?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

well why not posted:

what is the origin of that thread subtitle?

Mod changed it in response to this post:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can’t believe a movie called “Ant Man And The Wasp Quantumania”, which is apparently about genocide, isn’t good.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'm still a little surprised that the MCU didn't want to go with a more well-known villain, like Galactus. Yes, he is inherently a goofy idea in that he is a giant humanoid who eats planets, but he's also a major threat because he's a giant humanoid who eats planets.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm interested to see if they're able to pull off Kang popping up in each movie to build him up more. It'd be cool if with each one they show him loving with the events of some previous movie in some way. Kang's whole thing besides being a time travel super genius (even by the standards of his time in the 37th century or whatever) person is that every defeat any Kang suffers instantly becomes like a distant historical event one can study the years leading up to and the aftermath of to then go back and have things play out differently.

I'm not confidant in Disney/Marvel's ability to pull this off in MCU form but at least Jonathan Majors owns so I do hope he gets a lot more screentime to do his thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm still a little surprised that the MCU didn't want to go with a more well-known villain, like Galactus. Yes, he is inherently a goofy idea in that he is a giant humanoid who eats planets, but he's also a major threat because he's a giant humanoid who eats planets.

If he's not at least loving teased in F4 (and not a loving cloud this time) then they have completely failed. As I mentioned elsewhere - the concept and art is there with the Celestials in Eternals. Just swap the model out and you got Big G talking to the Silver Surfer.

I am nervous on how the MCU is gonna treat their A-listers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

If he's not at least loving teased in F4 (and not a loving cloud this time) then they have completely failed. As I mentioned elsewhere - the concept and art is there with the Celestials in Eternals. Just swap the model out and you got Big G talking to the Silver Surfer.

Even in Guardians of the Galaxy, IIRC they had considered having Galactus in that backstory the team gets filled in on instead of just the Celestials.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

How will Dr. Doom be completely mishandled this time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vintersorg posted:

I'm kind of okay with the cloud or pretty much anything aside from Galactus being a 30 foot tall doofus with a tuning fork on his head.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

:same:

Doctor Doom is another good jumping-off point for a saga/storyline, but it would be weird to include him without the Fantastic Four. And I don't know how the MCU will handle the Fantastic Four. Their origin story is supposed to be a horror story.

I can't see MCU doing this without quips.

Everyone posted:

I'm kind of okay with the cloud or pretty much anything aside from Galactus being a 30 foot tall doofus with a tuning fork on his head.

Hater. I mean, just look at this:

loving badass

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone posted:

This is gonna be a potential quip they ruin any threat Galactus poses. Probably said by Johnny Storm.

E: “you get cable with that thing? :classiclol:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 22, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:

Doctor Doom is another good jumping-off point for a saga/storyline, but it would be weird to include him without the Fantastic Four. And I don't know how the MCU will handle the Fantastic Four. Their origin story is supposed to be a horror story.

I can't see MCU doing this without quips.

Hater. I mean, just look at this:

loving badass

gently caress yes

Dr. Doom is so, like, Dr. Doom has done so much and been around for so long and is so loving awesome. But you know 100% in the MCU they'll make Latveria just another "Doom's been here all along but science was too advanced for anyone to know Latveria existed" or whatever like with sorcery people, Wakanda, and Talokan.

Similar to the X-Men there's enough there that Doom can almost be his own thing. They'll understandably have him around as the Fantastic Four's main baddie whenever they get around to doing one of those, could almost just have Doom stand alone doing crazy poo poo if they want to just go off the deep end right away.

Someone in the comic thread I think had suggested having the Fantastic Four literally be from the 60s but due to time fuckery from the cosmic rays they get their mixed blessings from they don't land until now which could be fun.

I wonder if now that they have the multiverse though if they'll just have doom plucked out of another timeline and dropped into the main MCU or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 22, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vintersorg posted:

This is gonna be a potential quip they ruin any threat Galactus poses. Probably said by Johnny Storm.

E: “you get cable with that thing? :classiclol:

Sure. That said, a lot of it will be with how they handle it. I mean, I could have seen Peter Quill referring to Thanos as "Grape Ape." But as long as you still have that scene where Thanos gives Quill the "chance" to save Gamora by killing her, Thanos's status as a threat remains very much intact.

I mean, yeah, comic book Galactus looks kind of goofy. But if you have a scene where he eats a planet while the F4 are able to do sweet gently caress-all to stop him, you can keep his threat around, smartass comments or not.

Neo Rasa posted:

gently caress yes

Dr. Doom is so, like, Dr. Doom has done so much and been around for so long and is so loving awesome. But you know 100% in the MCU they'll make Latveria just another "Doom's been here all along but science was too advanced for anyone to know Latveria existed" or whatever like with sorcery people, Wakanda, and Talokan.

Similar to the X-Men there's enough there that Doom can almost be his own thing. They'll understandably have him around as the Fantastic Four's main baddie whenever they get around to doing one of those, could almost just have Doom stand alone doing crazy poo poo if they want to just go off the deep end right away.

Someone in the comic thread I think had suggested having the Fantastic Four literally be from the 60s but due to time fuckery from the cosmic rays they get their mixed blessings from they don't land until now which could be fun.

I wonder if now that they have the multiverse though if they'll just have doom plucked out of another timeline and dropped into the main MCU or something.

I kind of wish they'd done Doom before Kang because Kang is basically just Dr. Doom with a TARDIS.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 22, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The one part of the Fox Fantastic Four films that worked were Johnny Storm's and Ben Grimm's chemistry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_wIBtvNC8

Neo Rasa posted:

gently caress yes

Now THAT would be really interesting. It would let them really lean into the hokey fun of Marvel's First Family.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Let's be real, they're going to handle the origin in the way they're accustomed to: an existing protagonist will enter a room or turn a corner to find the Fantastic Four all in costume, moving a bunch of boxes around using their powers, who they will then ask for help in returning to their own dimension.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eight films where Kang is the villain and gets defeated in each one does not result in a plausibly scary antagonist.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

Eight films where Kang is the villain and gets defeated in each one does not result in a plausibly scary antagonist.

Thanos also "lost" in the three movies in which he appeared before Infinity War. One reason Thanos worked as well as he did is that he won in Infinity War. Presumably in whatever film they do right before Avengers: Kang Dynasty Kang will also win and become the new Imperial Supergod Overlord or something. At that point A:KD will be about the Avengers trying to overthrow him, possibly through some kind of "time heist." Because everything tends to repeat in the MCU.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 22, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Everyone posted:

Thanos also "lost" in the three movies in which he appeared before Infinity War. One reason Thanos worked as well as he did is that he won in Infinity War. Presumably in whatever film they do right before Avengers: Kang Dynasty Kang will also win and become the new Imperial Supergod Overlord or something. At that point A:KD will be about the Avengers trying to overthrow him, possibly through some kind of "time heist." Because everything tends to repeat in the MCU.

Thanos himself didn't lose though. His minions did. The very second Thanos was in direct conflict with any of the Avengers, he immediately trounced them. He so badly defeated them in every conflict that the only way they could win was invent time travel and retcon the MCU.

Kang has been directly defeated twice.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they’re going to take a Lang out each movie at least have it be scorched earth where the heroes lives or world is scarred somehow by having come into conflict with him so he has some impact. Then when another Kang comes along or seemingly endless amount of them each one carries a consequence.

At least the first Kang killed lead to the multiverse. Now that should be consequential.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Dooms been a good guy for longer than a bad one right? Just start him off as a neutral chaotic and skip the evil iron mask man

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Horizon Burning posted:

this is loving awful

I want to kill myself now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Thanos himself didn't lose though. His minions did. The very second Thanos was in direct conflict with any of the Avengers, he immediately trounced them. He so badly defeated them in every conflict that the only way they could win was invent time travel and retcon the MCU.

Kang has been directly defeated twice.

Yeah that's what made the Infinity arc reasonably good. Thanos is introduced as a peripheral threat who is the source of a lot of misery that the heroes have to combat, but doesn't actually step on stage proper until Infinity War. Lots of films in this arc have nothing to do with Thanos or his minions at all, but are establishing the existence of the infinity stones. The films got to steadily build up the stakes and the antagonist before bringing everything together in a way that felt earned.

I really don't know what they are doing here. They're started with a film where the apparently most dangerous Kang does nothing scary at all and then gets beaten up by Ant Man. The multiverse is clearly a vehicle to make Fantastic 4 and X-Men films rather than a jumping point to some grand adventure.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Flag_Smashers

lol they literally made a anti-nationalist organization their evil bad terorrist group.

Marvel just does not give a gently caress, it's basically been a Fascist apologia front for the past 15-20 or so films. .

quote:

Karli Morgenthau, the leader of the Flag Smashers and survivor of the Snap, believed that the GRC cared more about the people who were snapped than the ones who survived and had to live through five years of turmoil. She and other like-minded individuals, who all looked up to a woman named Donya Madani, formed the Flag Smashers, whose mission statement was to restore things back to the way they were during the five years; a united world without borders or patriotism, helping each other in times of need. Their logo, a human handprint with the Earth as its palm, would reflect this.

Lol how evil look at these bad folks they want to abolish borders boogoogaooga! loving lol. gently caress you Marvel. Suck my god drat dick.

CameronisGod fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CameronisGod posted:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Flag_Smashers

lol they literally made a anti-nationalist organization their evil bad terorrist group.

Marvel just does not give a gently caress, it's basically been a Fascist apologia front for the past 15-20 or so films. .

Lol how evil look at these bad folks they want to abolish borders boogoogaooga! loving lol. gently caress you Marvel. Suck my god drat dick.

To be somewhat fair, Karli and the Flag-smashers were never presented as truly evil. They were idealistic and frustrated kids genuinely trying to help people and push back against the cold-blooded indifference of the powers that be. Their turn toward more questionable and violent actions was very much a response to being seriously provoked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No one likes the Belkans

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Everyone posted:

To be somewhat fair, Karli and the Flag-smashers were never presented as truly evil. They were idealistic and frustrated kids genuinely trying to help people and push back against the cold-blooded indifference of the powers that be. Their turn toward more questionable and violent actions was very much a response to being seriously provoked.

Their heel turn was probably the stupidest "This villain is too sympathetic so we'll make them go too far" move that Marvel loves to pull. Not just in that they were 99% right and had to commit insanely out of character murder but also you could've had the exact same plot and it would've been better if they different.

I liked FatWS overall but Falcon's stupid speech in the end solving everything was just unbelievably patronizing.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Their heel turn was probably the stupidest "This villain is too sympathetic so we'll make them go too far" move that Marvel loves to pull. Not just in that they were 99% right and had to commit insanely out of character murder but also you could've had the exact same plot and it would've been better if they different.

I liked FatWS overall but Falcon's stupid speech in the end solving everything was just unbelievably patronizing.

On one hand, yeah, that entire last episode of FatWS was almost entirely superfluous. On the other, a patronizing and eye rolling speech is exactly what a Captain America would do.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Chieves posted:

On one hand, yeah, that entire last episode of FatWS was almost entirely superfluous. On the other, a patronizing and eye rolling speech is exactly what a Captain America would do.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

I wish the speech was as good as that one from the comics. In the show he basically says nothing even half as harsh as that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i thought this was a pretty cool video essay about the topic of marvel movies and the defense of the status quo instead of fighting for beneficial societal progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpitmEnaYeU

not that i think marvel is pro fascist or whatever, just an interesting take on the role of superheroes in myth/storytelling

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am going to see the Ant Man in a couple hours…pray for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

I am going to see the Ant Man in a couple hours…pray for me.

I fell asleep about an hour in. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

teagone posted:

I fell asleep about an hour in. Good luck!

You usually have different tastes than me, but this happened to my wife and myself. First marvel movie to do that to me.