Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Warmachine posted:

We've all seen 0083 set to "Danger Zone," but what about Top Gun set to "The Winner?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg

Perfection.

No one can knock 0083 for its production quality or the soundtrack. Knock the plot etc, but the actual pieces of art in and around it are all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/deve_dy/status/1628401129812815874?s=46&t=zS90oS9rWoJjwVZZSCuuYg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like that they're taking Haro along for the ride :3:

Still, Miorine's face is a bit too expressive and happy there; it barely looks like her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The rich and powerful elite business academy has a carousel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is supposedly NOT Miorine, but a previous Holder.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's Saber

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffleman_ posted:

It is supposedly NOT Miorine, but a previous Holder.

This implies Guel managed to defeat someone, and I'm not sure I ready to buy that proposition just yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He defeated someone in the first episode!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

This implies Guel managed to defeat someone, and I'm not sure I ready to buy that proposition just yet.

Guel beat someone in the first episode and beat his dad in the last episode, that he's weak to Gundams doesn't mean he's a bad pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Perfection.

No one can knock 0083 for its production quality or the soundtrack. Knock the plot etc, but the actual pieces of art in and around it are all great.

I'll actually challenge this and say that 0083's overall soundtrack is fairly mediocre. Both OPs and the ED are fantastic and the English language version of The Winner (Back to Paradise) and the instrumental version of Magic that play in some episodes are very good. But most of the music for battles and intrigue is fairly routine stuff that can't hold a candle to the theme songs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does witch from mercury come back in April? I haven't started it yet, was kinda waiting for the dub but I might just plow through the first part with subs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Comes back in April. Dubs are every Sunday afternoon. Thread is locked until they release because it's a roundabout conversation right now.

Watch the show, it's good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's most likely the 2nd since that's the first Sunday in April.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Warmachine posted:

We've all seen 0083 set to "Danger Zone," but what about Top Gun set to "The Winner?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg

"The Winner" makes everything better.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll actually challenge this and say that 0083's overall soundtrack is fairly mediocre. Both OPs and the ED are fantastic and the English language version of The Winner (Back to Paradise) and the instrumental version of Magic that play in some episodes are very good. But most of the music for battles and intrigue is fairly routine stuff that can't hold a candle to the theme songs.

I will agree nothing beyond those is "standout" but its a high quality production I guess was my point. Not so much the subjective piece of "is the music actually catchy/good etc". All the music was made for it to my ears, I don't remember there being any retreads of prior Gundam pieces.

Nothing stands out as flat out bad from a sound design perspective either. 0083 looks and sounds very good even if the composition of the score is kinda generic at times.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

He defeated someone in the first episode!

Not only did he defeat someone in the first episode, he completely demolished them in a brutally one-sided manner. He was the be undefeated champion of the school and had also won all of his duels while piloting a painted Dilanza, which is just a grunt suit, instead of a fancy Gundam or customized ace unit.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

Not only did he defeat someone in the first episode, he completely demolished them in a brutally one-sided manner. He was the be undefeated champion of the school and had also won all of his duels while piloting a painted Dilanza, which is just a grunt suit, instead of a fancy Gundam or customized ace unit.

how'd he do after that

genuine question i haven't got around to/really looked into mercury yet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yinlock posted:

how'd he do after that

About as well as a grunt suit usually performs in a Gundam show.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

how'd he do after that

Unfortunately he met a Gundam, which history shows is basically the end of an ace's career.

It ended his career so hard he went full hobo and started living in a tent on the school grounds.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

SEED had the misfortune to have Fukuda and Murosawa attached to the project, because it's pretty clear from some of the setting material that the guy doing all the background lore, Shigeru Morita (who was a researcher who had worked on SDF Macross and Turn A Gundam prior to Gundam SEED), actually kind of gave a poo poo and really tried to build up an interesting and cohesive universe that the show could take place in and then Fukuda and Murosawa took all his work and ignored the vast majority of it to do their own thing. There are no exact details online or anything, but I don't think it's implausible that Fukuda or Murosawa just decided that the computer systems in CE were quantum computers because quantum sounds cooler. Or that they did the same with antimatter.

The neutron jammer thing is iffier on who is likely to have created it, since it's a fairly central plot element so it seems like the kind of thing Morita must have been involved in even if it feels more like something Fukuda or Murosawa would have cooked up because it sounded cool. It's the "Minovsky particle" of the setting though, so I suppose it's not surprising that even someone with a background in technical stuff who has apparently taught at university level like Morita might come up with a fairly silly concept like that and just kind of run with it while ignoring the more fundamental elements of it's existence for the sake of narrative.

Minovsky particles could probably be reasoned out to do some really weird things if you sat down to think about it too, since they affect so much of the electromagnetic spectrum, and part of the original show's success with them was probably just that the writers left their effect pretty vague since it only comes up as a phenomena loving with radar and it wasn't until databooks like Gundam Century (which Morita contributed to, somewhat ironically) that the details of what Minovsky particles were and did were more solidly established. I don't even think Tomino or writers on future UC shows he helmed particularly gave a poo poo about those details though honestly. Or AMBAC, another thing established in data books after the original show. I don't even know that Tomino really cared about the details of the colony drop in UC0079 at the start of the One Year War as laid out in Gundam Century honestly, and the few mentions of it in Zeta, ZZ etc. seem more like Tomino might still be operating on his original idea of several colonies (if not dozens like X did) having hit.

Yeah this all tracks. What's nice about Minovsky or Ahab particles is it grants you a lot of extra leeway for audience buy in. If SEED didn't have antimatter cannons and fission cancelers and had CE Particle cannons and cancelers I doubt anyone would care that much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

how'd he do after that

He's Saionji

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

What's weird about Ahab reactors is that much of the setting is written around their existence, but we never find out what they actually are, where they come from, or more importantly how they're made. Ordinarily it would not be a problem (The story is about Tekkadan, and what do they care about those things, except for possibly the last which is probably out of their means anyhow?) but entire battle plans are written around the properties of Ahab reactors so it stands out to me that some fundamental questions about their nature aren't explained.

There's a lot more detail about them in worldbooks, kit manuals, and the like, but most of it hasn't been officially translated. They're made by Gjallarhorn using proprietary techniques that require working in close proximity to the Sun's gravity well. Long and short, Gjallarhorn can reliably mass produce them, and everyone else has to make do with what Gjallarhorn gives them and/or salvage.

There's a really neat bit of visual shorthand where Gjallarhorn's reactors are yellow, while salvaged reactors are grey. Tells you who's making new stuff and who has to use vintage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mind you that vintage can also be devastating calamity war tech

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

On the other hand, the guy he was facing was in a grunt suit so poo poo it's not even featured on the official site and is certainly not going to get any kind of Gunpla. It's probably a generation or two behind the curve. A lot of other students appear to be using bog standard Demi-Trainers too, so Guel's Dilanza might as well be an ace custom by comparison.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IBO did a fine enough job describing the properties of Ahab tech through the action. Any talk of it's origin would tend to be pace killing exposition and probably not of value. One doesn't need to know the how and why of something to utilize it anymore than one needs to understand thermal dynamics creating wind to utilize a windmill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do winder if or when we might see non-Benerit Group mobile suits in G Witch. The Llfriths notwithstanding of course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think there's really any non-Benerit entity in the setting that even makes mobile suits outside the Lfriths.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Someone mentioned that the Benerit Group was losing market share at the investigation into whether Aerial was a Gundam or not, so there basically has to be.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Was that the Benerit Group as a whole losing market share to outside competitors, or was it the Big Three of Peil, Jeturk, and Grassley losing market share to other Group members?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Someone mentioned that the Benerit Group was losing market share at the investigation into whether Aerial was a Gundam or not, so there basically has to be.

Yeah, it's something I find really weird about Witch. The world is supposed to be in a state of major competition between corporations, ones so powerful that they've replaced governments... but we don't know anything about companies outside of Benerit, to the point that scene is the only reason we can be sure they exist.

If this was an Anaheim style monopoly (well, a private sector monopoly. Most UC militaries have their own in-house designers as well), then there'd be no real confusion, since the Benerit civil wars would be the main corporate politics, but instead, we get confirmation in that scene and with the pitch meeting for Gund-Arm that Benerit has other companies to deal with... but then we don't see jack about those companies.

It's just part of the whole "we know almost nothing about the setting" that Witch from Mercury is doing for some reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The dude Guel wrecked was in a Heindree, which is the same generation as the Beneritt Group's other suits. The Dilanza is also generally shown to be an excellent conventional machine - about as good as you can get without using the GUND Format (Gundam space magic) or AI tech. It's more of a big-deal secondary character suit like a Rick Dias or Taurus than a grunt like a Zaku or Leo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vim mentions in episode 2 about other companies moving to corner the market on mobile suits. However the only entities we know of outside the main conglomerate are the Space Assembly League that we've only been introduced to and a literal terrorist organization using surplus suits they either bought or were supplied with by interested parties.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I kinda thought the point of Benerit was that it was all of those megacorps coming together under the biggest meanest megacorp. If you're inside Benerit, you've gotta play Benerit politics against every other scheming, back-biting corporation in the group to curry favor with Delling. If you're outside Benerit, you get out-competed or devoured by the folks inside Benerit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also apparently the girl from the novel illustration is not an Asticassia student or even affiliated with Benerit, she was engaged to Mio before the Holder system

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Outside companies wouldn't necessarily have to be doing super well or have the greatest products to cause ripples of concern within the group. Just taking some noticeable market share at all and having it remain a trend rather than a flash in the pan would be something they can't ignore. The pressure in that situation becomes more about maintaining an insurmountable gap in an ostensibly free market. But we'd probably need more official details on the setting to know for sure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

Outside companies wouldn't necessarily have to be doing super well or have the greatest products to cause ripples of concern within the group. Just taking some noticeable market share at all and having it remain a trend rather than a flash in the pan would be something they can't ignore. The pressure in that situation becomes more about maintaining an insurmountable gap in an ostensibly free market. But we'd probably need more official details on the setting to know for sure.

That's the problem, yeah. Witch is currently one of the most detail-light settings Gundam's ever had. Presumably we'll have more in season 2, but the fact we don't even know if the Earth has a unified government, or if there's any kind of power in space other than the corps... you get more detail on the state of the setting from the opening cutscene of Armored Core 4 than the entire first season of Witch from Mercury.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The Minovsky Particle discussion got me thinking of something else on a side-tangent; did anyone ever identify the existence of Minovsky particles in Gundam X or Turn A?

With X, I can see that never coming out, but with Turn A.. uh.. they unearth suits that use the stuff?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's Saionji

Oh... oh no...(who's Touga then?)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

The Minovsky Particle discussion got me thinking of something else on a side-tangent; did anyone ever identify the existence of Minovsky particles in Gundam X or Turn A?

With X, I can see that never coming out, but with Turn A.. uh.. they unearth suits that use the stuff?

On the other hand, with Turn A the best electronics tech they've got utilizes vacuum tubes, and they're not using nearly as many Minovsky particle sources as were used in the Universal Century. It was never 100% clear to me, but my understanding was that you needed a lot of reactors kicking out waste particles unless you were intentionally spreading Minovsky particles for jamming reasons, and the reason it's so fucky in the UC is because 1) lots of reactors kicking around and 2) everyone realized that if you rolled coal with your fusion reactors people couldn't hit you with guided missiles.

The Turn A and Turn X explicitly don't use Minovsky reactors, and the Moonrace itself has been active this whole time and probably has better/cleaner reactor tech by now. At the end of the day, the dozen or so Kapools of the Inglessa militia and the Zaku's the Luisianna militia were fielding weren't going to put out enough particles passively to appreciably screw up what amounts to inter-war radio communications, and the Earthrace wouldn't have even known they could crack open one of those suckers for EWAR reasons until after viewing the Dark History.

The way Unicorn framed it (even though it came after Turn A so... ex post facto whatever) the Minovsky particles will eventually spread out and become ineffective unless someone is intentionally dumping them into the area--hence the comments about the particle density "increasing" and "not normalizing" being a pretty clear indication that despite not being able to see anything with sensors, something out there doesn't want to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a pretty common tactic to flood particles into an area as a smokescreen but it does tip off anyone watching their sensors that poo poo is about to go down.