Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This interview was interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnySfN02YYQ

The first minute fifteen is the showrunner and Frakes basically saying that of course Picard isn’t like TNG because TNG was episodic and thoughtful which is more like SNW. Also I don’t think Dorn knows they revamped the Klingons because when he’s asked if there was a discussion about making Worf look like Klingons do now he seems to think he’s being asked about Worf’s hairstyle.

Frakes calling out the lack of diversity of Insurrection's Baku "there were no black people, no jews, no brown people" and Dorn butting in with "No Italians! No Italians!!" :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Frakes calling out the lack of diversity of Insurrection's Baku "there were no black people, no jews, no brown people" and Dorn butting in with "No Italians! No Italians!!" :laffo:

Them trashing bad episodes is fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Just watched Time's Orphan and uhhh wtf, Miles.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Got to the episode where the real Brahms shows up on the Enterprise and Geordi tries to seduce her

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Got to the episode where the real Brahms shows up on the Enterprise and Geordi tries to seduce her

Geordi "But the ALGORITHM!" LaForge

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Geordi La Forge, Captain of the USS Incelsior

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

That Creepo Geordi posted:

So, I'm guilty, okay? But not of what you think. Of something much worse. I'm guilty of reaching out to you, of hoping we could connect. I'm guilty of a terrible crime, Doctor. I offered you friendship.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fun fact: that episode was written by Maurice “sexually harass Gates McFadden” Hurley. This probably explains why the episode ends with Brahms apologizing to Geordi for being mad at him for having a holo-sex doll of her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Fun fact: that episode was written by Maurice “sexually harass Gates McFadden” Hurley. This probably explains why the episode ends with Brahms apologizing to Geordi for being mad at him for having a holo-sex doll of her.

God, I'm glad that old gently caress's dead.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, Geordi didn't actually have sex with the hologram. He just wanted to. Maybe he should have led with that.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I always assumed that Geordi definitely didn’t have sex with that hologram but when he gets called out he certainly acts like someone who definitely had sex with that hologram.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Leah: Did you have sex with a hologram of me?
Normal person: Absolutely not but the computer did program this hologram to say some weird stuff so I understand this must feel very uncomfortable and invasive and I apologize for not warning you about this.

Leah: Did you have sex with a hologram of me?
Geordi: Oh so I’m the bad guy now? You’ve been a huge bitch since you got here and all I’ve been trying to do is date you. Might as well lock me up for the crime of being nice, wow, I guess no good deed goes unpunished, Doctor!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Geordi: we'll see what the captain has to say about this!!

Picard: doctor you must date Geordi.

Brahms: what the hell is up with this loving ship

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Since we now know Geordi eventually fucks and produced offspring, I fully expect some throway line or two that's he's married to Braun, because it's an easy callback to make. (And they'd never actually think about how that actually would go)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
his daughter is one of the plant people from "the infinite vulcan"

_____!
May 2, 2004

It's cute that she's Burton's daughter in real life :3:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

Since we now know Geordi eventually fucks and produced offspring, I fully expect some throway line or two that's he's married to Braun, because it's an easy callback to make. (And they'd never actually think about how that actually would go)

Wasn't that who he was supposed to be married to in All Good Things?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 31 hours!)

geordi's daughter is a hologram too

and he has doubles of every starship under his command. some triples.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He's actually married to Brahms the composer, who was brought forward in time to fight off the disco bots from fluidic space in 2364.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
brahms didn't need to be brought forward in time. watch the documentary "requiem for methuselah" for more info

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

roomtone posted:

geordi's daughter is a hologram too

and he has doubles of every starship under his command. some triples.

triples makes it safe, after all

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I want to find out that, in a twist of the grimdark current Star Trek, O'Brien is happy, healthy, and living out his retirement with Keiko and they get along perfectly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would prefer the writers, directors, and producers of picard keep their filthy hands off of ds9.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

His kids in Picard have the same names as his kids in All Good Things, and their mother was Leah back then.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Dabir posted:

Fed scientists can create artificial organs that do the job just as well as organic ones up to and including parts of your brain. If someone asked for it, they could survive way past 200 on an increasingly artificial body.

They're just all brainwashed not to ask for it.

iirc in the Iain M. Banks Culture its normal to live 200-300 years or so before you euthanize and it's okay but Unusual to live longer which seems plausible in that utopia. but the day-to-day utopian aspects of the Federation are really poorly thought-out because thats the boring part and Trek was never about worldbuilding. oops it turns out that makes their Dark takes on what's going on with Earth really lovely though (DS9 is excepted ofc precisely because it was deliberately set on the frontier in the first place)

this is relevant because it's canonical that Culture agents visited Earth in the 70's and also watched TOS and thought it was silly

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Beeftweeter posted:

brahms didn't need to be brought forward in time. watch the documentary "requiem for methuselah" for more info

I remembered this :smuggo:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

the obvious answer is that he's married to the hologram and has holokids

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

iirc in the Iain M. Banks Culture its normal to live 200-300 years or so before you euthanize and it's okay but Unusual to live longer which seems plausible in that utopia. but the day-to-day utopian aspects of the Federation are really poorly thought-out because thats the boring part and Trek was never about worldbuilding. oops it turns out that makes their Dark takes on what's going on with Earth really lovely though (DS9 is excepted ofc precisely because it was deliberately set on the frontier in the first place)

this is relevant because it's canonical that Culture agents visited Earth in the 70's and also watched TOS and thought it was silly

Well yeah they were right, it is silly. It's incredibly silly. Every frame of it is silly, even the lighting is silly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's also pretty normal in the Culture to donate your memories to a groupmind or something like that when you decide you're done with living, so there's a certain degree of living-on. Also it's somewhat common to ask for a revival when the culture sublimes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MikeJF posted:

It's also pretty normal in the Culture to donate your memories to a groupmind or something like that when you decide you're done with living, so there's a certain degree of living-on. Also it's somewhat common to ask for a revival when the culture sublimes.

meanwhile isnt Picard about new androids yet they still never address the fact that apparently Starfleet has the tech for their holodeck to accidentally create Strong AI. okay have Picard give a speech about how we arent gods and dont have the right to do that like how he double facepalmed Data for making Lal. but at least have some plot where i dunno, the Romulans try to steal The Matrix that Moriarty is living in to make clones for military purposes. or make it so Starfleet top brass totally know that AI is possible and purposely keep it under wraps precisely because they know it will end up like the Culture, with the AIs in charge. oh hey now there's a reason for them to go after Picard for not deleting Moriarty as he was supposed to according to their Secret Directive. let me write the plotlines. let literally anyone in this thread write the plotlines

naem
May 29, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

let me write the plotlines. let literally anyone in this thread write the plotlines

eSports Chaebol posted:

let me write the plotlines. let literally anyone in this thread write the plotlines

eSports Chaebol posted:

eSports Chaebol posted:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Picard: did somebody say "Picard?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

meanwhile isnt Picard about new androids yet they still never address the fact that apparently Starfleet has the tech for their holodeck to accidentally create Strong AI. okay have Picard give a speech about how we arent gods and dont have the right to do that like how he double facepalmed Data for making Lal. but at least have some plot where i dunno, the Romulans try to steal The Matrix that Moriarty is living in to make clones for military purposes. or make it so Starfleet top brass totally know that AI is possible and purposely keep it under wraps precisely because they know it will end up like the Culture, with the AIs in charge. oh hey now there's a reason for them to go after Picard for not deleting Moriarty as he was supposed to according to their Secret Directive. let me write the plotlines. let literally anyone in this thread write the plotlines

They have safeties now.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 23, 2023

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Wasn't that who he was supposed to be married to in All Good Things?

PICARD... GROW THE BEARD!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i would prefer the writers, directors, and producers of picard keep their filthy hands off of ds9.

I used to wish ds9 were more popular because I love that show and want everyone to see it but in retrospect it’s obscurity has been a blessing

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I used to wish ds9 were more popular because I love that show and want everyone to see it but in retrospect it’s obscurity has been a blessing

I wouldn't say that show that ran for seven years in primetime to audience of millions is an obscure one, but I agree that it was saved by TNG and VOY being more popular, the format being season-long arches with story that had ended, and Avery Brooks retiring so aggressively he hasn't done much since.

So your story has nowhere to naturally go with this setting, you cannot get all the characters anyway, and this is the audience's third (fourth if TOS is counted) most favorite crew. So maybe lets reconsider the movie deal.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I am honestly kind of relieved they've left DS9 relatively untouched because Jesus loving Christ

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I am honestly kind of relieved they've left DS9 relatively untouched because Jesus loving Christ

Just imagine... the Discofication of DS9

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was posting a bit about this in tv/iv but i don't like the ferengi redesign in picard. i don't think i've seen them in discovery and will not be searching to confirm this because i know it'll just piss me off

their original characterization was terrible, so DS9 basically rebooted the entire race. this had some potentially problematic implications (a lot of people see it as veiled antisemitism and overt misogyny), but that was the point: the ferengi are hypercapitalists. they are a caricature of (what today we would consider) the right wing, here. of course they're going to put a weird emphasis on big, manly features: :capitalism:

we're given several episodes that deal with "big lobes" being desirable in their society, and they deal with them well. we're basically shown that it's bullshit macho posturing, because it is. but that's also a very important thing to a ferengi — quark says that, in essence, a lobeless ferengi is no ferengi at all

so that guy was literally and figuratively decapitated. subtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

McSpanky posted:

Just imagine... the Discofication of DS9

DS9 would've been a Federation Station, for one.