Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm not familiar with him specifically but Giordano studied under Jusepe de Ribera. Much like Giordano's Chilon, Ribera did many paintings of "wise men" such as philosophers and saints, and his models for these were normal peasants and old men. He was known for not shying away from ugliness—wrinkles, fat, and dirt were depicted in a raw style. Sure Chiron looks ugly, but that reinforces the idea that he's a man who's lived a long life, experienced much and isn't concerned with his own beauty.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

They found a Roman dildo in England

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Locally produced dildos not good enough then?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ok so the question is what did the ancients use for lube?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fish sauce obviously

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Olive oil :hmmyes:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lawman 0 posted:

Ok so the question is what did the ancients use for lube?

Probably olive oil. It was everywhere, safe, and fairly cheap. Rome has to this day a dump of ancient smashed olive oil jars in the form of a 100+ foot tall hill. I doubt all of that oil ended up in cookery/lighting/whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alhazred posted:

Locally produced dildos not good enough then?

Gotta get that blue glass dildo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

They found a Roman dildo in England

Odd that Nigel Farage was actually in the British Isles for once

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Doing my dissertation on sniffing out the molecular traces of ancient lube on a wooden dildo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lawman 0 posted:

Doing my dissertation on sniffing out the molecular traces of ancient lube on a wooden dildo.

Make it comparative and you might be able to check out the worlds second largest ancient dildo collection at the musuem of London.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Make it comparative and you might be able to check out the worlds second largest ancient dildo collection at the musuem of London.

What's the biggest collection?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lawman 0 posted:

Yer mum?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Telsa Cola posted:

The largest ancient dildo collection? It's just down the street, and they call it "The House of Lords".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lawman 0 posted:

It is indeed your mother.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1628346765983219714

:hist101:

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

https://twitter.com/cwjones89/status/1628442027225452546

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
So after I asked my question the other day I realized that I was in dire need of seeing that HBO show Rome. I marathonned through it in like five days, part of them being a weekend.
I know it's not entirely historically accurate but boy were we robbed by them not greenlighting more seasons.

If I wanted to find more shows like that about that part of the world and generally that wide timeframe/era what should I check out?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chainchompz posted:

So after I asked my question the other day I realized that I was in dire need of seeing that HBO show Rome. I marathonned through it in like five days, part of them being a weekend.
I know it's not entirely historically accurate but boy were we robbed by them not greenlighting more seasons.

If I wanted to find more shows like that about that part of the world and generally that wide timeframe/era what should I check out?

Spartacus, your gonna think the first ep or so is trash. Stick with it, it's incredible.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

chainchompz posted:

Barbarians is pretty good, its set in Germany during the reign of Augustus. A classic is I, Claudius, about the emperor Claudius starting from his childhood. I, Claudius is produced a lot like a theater production, all indoors, but it has extremely high quality acting.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Seconding the recs for Spartacus and I, Claudius. Former is extremely fun melodramatic shlock (only as a positive thing) and latter is very interesting take on early principate. Like said, I, Claudius is very bare boned character and dialogue driven series, but you really don't miss big battles and set pieces because it's all about politicking in the end. And it works well as an continuation of HBOs Rome, even if Brian Blessed's Augustus has grown a heart at some point. It also makes use of the old idea of scheming Livia but HBOs Rome laid some groundwork for it so it doesn't come as sudden surprise.

There's also the new Italian series Romulus but I haven't seen it yet. Apparently it takes a note from Barbarians where the characters speak Latin which is always cool approach even if real Romans wouldn't have understood the mangled language used by modern actors. It's the feel that's important in my opinion. But dunno if the series is what you are looking because unlike 99% of Roman media, it's about the founding of Rome, not the imperial period.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
There was also a British show two years ago, Domina, about Augustus' wife Livia.
There's a lot of scheming, but Octavian and Agrippa are much more lovely about it than any of the women.
The first season dealt with her (and his) rise to power, and it's supposed to come back for a second season some time this year.

It's been too long since I've seen I Claudius, but I think they kind of glossed over Agrippa. I think I remember Brian Blessed mourning his death? Domina gives him a solid sidekick role.

I've always like the concept of having an Agrippa. Just a stand up guy you can rely on to become consul or whatever else is needed to keep up the appearance of a republic still existing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CrypticFox posted:

Barbarians is pretty good, its set in Germany during the reign of Augustus.

I don't know how historically accurate this one is but I'll second the recommendation. It's about the rebellion under Arminius - he's the protagonist of the show - and they actually have the Romans speaking Latin in every scene. And the Germans speaking German! (it's a german production) There's a second season, I haven't watched yet. Also Britannia, which is about the Roman invasion of Britain, but that one's got druidic magic and poo poo so I wouldn't vouch for its accuracy, but it is a good show.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

I don't know how historically accurate this one is but I'll second the recommendation. It's about the rebellion under Arminius - he's the protagonist of the show - and they actually have the Romans speaking Latin in every scene. And the Germans speaking German! (it's a german production) There's a second season, I haven't watched yet. Also Britannia, which is about the Roman invasion of Britain, but that one's got druidic magic and poo poo so I wouldn't vouch for its accuracy, but it is a good show.

the accuracy is abysmal, don't go to it for much of anything beyond the core events. Characters are aged, de-aged, moved around, backstories changed, etc. the first season was fine as far as show goes, i have not watched the second though.

chainchompz posted:

What Rome did perfectly was make it Authentic. All of the sets, the costumes, diction, and weird details are accurate to life in ancient Rome, as near as we can approximate it. They nailed the legion's equipment, they get the stuff like the tiny votive statues right, the painted buildings, weird poo poo like sacrificing the bull, etc. They obviously changed history around in regards to characters and stuff, like Pompey was not 25 years older than Ceasar, and we don't really know much about Atia or Servilla beyond their names and one or two events.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 23, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The weird one to me is Cicero and Cato being age swapped for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cato is better represented to modern sensibilities as a crotchety old coot

e: it's the authenticity vs accuracy thing again, like they want to us to understand Cato as a relic of the old republic, staid and hidebound, and modern audiences are going to respond more to an older actor in a role like that. A younger actor would just come across as an rear end in a top hat, and while Cato the Younger is certainly an rear end in a top hat, there's a difference between a middle aged rear end in a top hat and a very old rear end in a top hat. It's like in Deadwood, no they didn't say motherfucker and cocksucker constantly in 1880 they considered oaths like "poo poo" and "crap" to be equivalent to motherfucker but that wouldn't come across to a modern audience. So in a case like that, striving for accuracy would actually detract from the piece, rather than add to it. (Deadwood has probably the most stylized dialogue of any modern production I can think of so it goes beyond just that, but it's a deliberate choice to exaggerate the profanity, and not just for shock value)

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hot take, I don't think upper class British accents are a good localization of "just all Romans" for modern English. I'd rather they just do absolute chaos like Death of Stalin, or actually think about what accents would localize for different classes/positions. Failing that, just give everybody thick Jersey Shore accents. They're Italian after all.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Obviously it should be voice acted with a mix of Bolivians as well

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Romans spoke latin so they should use latin American actors

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

John Leguizamo: "And Brutus said that Caesar was hosed up, and Brutus is cool right?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

He's probably approve of that depiction, in fact.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

to be clear i don't think all historical shows should be 100% slavishly accurate, but the other day a buddy of mine asked about the historical accuracy of that Britannia show. So i just did and image search for the Romans in the show and, well,

Leather Lorica Segmentata was a first. This kind of poo poo drives me crazy because you cannot tell me they could not get the metal stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's probably approve of that depiction, in fact.

yeah being utterly ancient so he could be a dick with no consequences like cato the elder was what cato the younger aspired to from the age of like, 15

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

e: it's the authenticity vs accuracy thing again, like they want to us to understand Cato as a relic of the old republic, staid and hidebound, and modern audiences are going to respond more to an older actor in a role like that. A younger actor would just come across as an rear end in a top hat, and while Cato the Younger is certainly an rear end in a top hat, there's a difference between a middle aged rear end in a top hat and a very old rear end in a top hat.

I dunno, making Cato old takes away from a pretty important aspect of who he was, which is a guy trying to restore political order by reverting to an idealized and largely illusory vision of past generations.

Whereas old Cicero trying to chart some sort of middle course works just fine.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you cannot tell me they could not get the metal stuff.
I bet the leather is much nicer to move around in in direct sunlight for hours of shoots.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I agree with the authenticity vs. accuracy thing with regards to interpretation but I also like it when a production just goes whole-hog on accuracy, like the VVitch, a movie that answers the question "what if 17th Century Puritans made a horror movie?" and absolutely rules.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
If filmmakers can't decide between church Latin and upper class English when making Roman media, they should compromise and just hire Romanian speakers!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glah posted:

If filmmakers can't decide between church Latin and upper class English when making Roman media, they should compromise and just hire Romanian speakers!

Actually one of the filmmakers should abscond to Constantinople and make his own movie in the proper Greek.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

FishFood posted:

VVitch, a movie that answers the question "what if 17th Century Puritans made a horror movie?" and absolutely rules.

I usually watch American movies with english subtitles even if it isn't my native language because I know english well enough and the subtitles help with bad sound mixing and more difficult accents. But like 10 mins into VVitch I said gently caress it I don't have a clue what these people are saying and changed the subtitles into my native language. It's the translators problem now. Excellent film tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's an aspect of "impressionism" to some of these things and trying to recreate the ideas represented by the stories if not do them exactly. Which can be a mixed bag depending on what you're looking to express and how good you are at depicting it.

2018 Robin Hood famously took a lot of liberties in reimagining Robin's time in the crusades through the lens of like the modern Iraq War (or probably more like Call of Duty's interpretation of modern war), and it was...kinda amazing, but also pretty dumb. I hear the overall movie was pretty bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQqp-tO8J4

Tulip posted:

Hot take, I don't think upper class British accents are a good localization of "just all Romans" for modern English. I'd rather they just do absolute chaos like Death of Stalin, or actually think about what accents would localize for different classes/positions. Failing that, just give everybody thick Jersey Shore accents. They're Italian after all.

I'd like to maybe see a historical take that focuses on American accents, although the American film industry is less used to using accents as a proxy for demonstrating social statuses.