Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

forest spirit posted:

Does your phone camera have a 60fps option?

From the video it looks like it's got to be a panel thing, everything in frame is doubling at the same rate so either the panels are jumping down to 30(?) from 60/90 in between every frame because the refresh rate switching is screwed up.

Or the panel is holding onto frames?

Every game?

Good call about trying other stuff, I'm seeing it in Light Brigade as well. I also noticed in Horizon if I look at a static object in the environment and turn my head quickly, I'm seeing what seem to be spacewarp-ish artifacts, so it seems like it's some kind of setting somewhere that's doing weird frame stuff. It's seeming more and more likely to me there's some kind of automatic setting that's going on somewhere, Light Brigade should absolutely not be pushing the system as hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Rebooted everything, went into the psvr2 settings and toggled on 120hz, restarted CoTM and had the same ghosting, with or without eye tracking at the game level. I was finally able to get the left controller working at least!

God I hope GT7 works like it should.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://uploadvr.com/psvr2-technical-analysis/

quote:

The reprojection mode is the easiest to achieve, as it only requires 60 frames per second. It enables titles like Horizon Call Of The Mountain and Resident Evil 8 to offer modern AAA graphics. But it has a horrible, incredibly noticeable side effect. Some call it double imaging, while others call it ghosting.

When moving your head around, you’ll notice a motion blur along the edges of every object, and you’ll notice the same on your hands when moving them too. When I first tried PSVR 2 I thought this was a glitch with the game or the unit, so actually asked for it to be rebooted to see if it would be solved. I was shocked to discover it was normal.

Jesus, I'm still holding out hope something is up but it's seriously loving awful. I would consider anything using this to be more or less unplayable for me, full stop

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

man, that is incredibly disappointing and embarrassing, especially with their big exclusives like resident evil going that route

I don't understand how you can develop a VR game and convince yourself that's an acceptable trade-off vs just developing it to run at 90 fps

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

https://uploadvr.com/psvr2-technical-analysis/

Jesus, I'm still holding out hope something is up but it's seriously loving awful. I would consider anything using this to be more or less unplayable for me, full stop

It's funny how some things are a deal breaker or not depending on the person. There is a Spanish site where the writer is incredibly technically minded, and usually goes deep in fov, eyebox, lens aberration, etc, but he barely mentions a bit of miura/dithering pattern effect in his review, while for other people who are receiving the headset now are starting to complain of how the pattern is too strong. It could be a different depending on the specific headset though.
Or, in a livestream he was praising the Call of the Mountain graphics, almost as if the experience was a rupture, but he barely gave importance to the retroprojection beyond acknowledging it was there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just played call of the mountain for about an hour. I noticed the ghosting but tbh once I got into the game I stopped noticing it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I brought another lamp into the living room and that helped with the ghosting in CoTM! Looking forward to trying it in the day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I brought another lamp into the living room and that helped with the ghosting in CoTM! Looking forward to trying it in the day.

That's really weird. Is it something to do with detecting the hands as well?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm hoping they improve the performance of The Light Brigade on Quest, I'm seeing a few more performance hiccups than I'd like. On the other hand it's on Steam too, with better graphics
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1579880/The_Light_Brigade/

In my last run I was killed on the 6th stage by a group of 3 enemies , two with smgs, 'spawn camping' the initial starting point. No fun dying like that... I guess their positions are truly random. I guess I should have spammed the teleport action to run away to a safe place instead of fighting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

I didn't notice any ghosting in Horizon but I noticed it a lot in Kayak VR and it was bothersome.

Apparently there are some weird quirks to PSVR that everyone is going to have to figure out together lol. Hopefully sony does it before we have to.

it seems very weird about lights. As I posted in the other thread my overhead light was causing the software to crash constantly until I turned it off, which is nuts and also makes me less surprised that you moving lights around improved Horizon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43vcKl2axY

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/lienbyy/status/1628436592640790530?s=21

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Did they fix the water rendering in No Man's Sky VR?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I used a pimax for a year and a half, constant reprojection, never bothered me at all.. is the PSVR2 doing something weird/different? Does it have to do with the foveated rendering?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it only Horizon that does it, or is it all games?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Pico 4 stand alone is good. It boots faster than my quest, its more comfy, and generally has the sameish content now. Yeah theres some exclusive oculus stuff but whatever.

I like mine. I say it a lot.

Windows support for the pico is fine tho. fwiw.

oops, sorry i meant alvr specifically, i know it runs fine with virtual desktop or pico link
thanks, i think i'll just take the plunge, i spent 90% of my time in bullshit like beat saber anyway which runs fine on pico

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess I need to stop playing Thrill of the Fight, that's the second time I've jacked my right thumb up on the edge of my headset. The same thumb, same joint, skinned and bleeding like a stuck pig.

lost fingat, play mote later

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

King Vidiot posted:

lost fingat, play mote later

That's a blast from the past.

pun intended

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jesus, this is worse than last time. I'm missing a half-inch flap of skin from the back of my thumb, it's just shorn off. This was right after the previous injury healed, like I still had the fresh scar.

I keep throwing right hooks when the guy is too close to my face. It just seems like the AI really wants to kiss me or something.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
im not a doctor but hydrocolloidal bandages like a duoderm pad will help it heal up asap

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I’ve been playing IL2 at 120Hz but with the frame rate fixed at 60, causing every other frame to be interpolated, and I see the same ghosting when I look for it. However, it doesn’t actually bother me too much and I completely forget about it when I’m just playing.

So I do think it’s a personal thing to a certain extent, at least how much it bothers you.

The other thing probably making matters worse is that Horizon has some form of TAA as well IIRC, causing additional ghosting and smearing eg on disocclusion.

Hitting 120 FPS on a PS5 is going to be basically impossible for anything that looks like Horizon, so I guess they made the decision to have something marketable on TV and YouTube, instead of something with disappointing graphics.

I’m really curious about other games like GT7 and RE:8, since again they are almost certainly going to do the same 60FPS. 8.8ms is not enough time to render two eyes at 2K each and it is going to be a struggle for most games that don’t make extreme sacrifices on lighting and material complexity.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I played some more Call of the Mountain this morning and there's times when I kind of notice it and other times when I completely don't. So yeah I guess ymmv.

CoTM is good but I have nitpicks about some of their controls. Having to pull the bow out with R2 (trigger) instead of R1 (grips) is just weird since pretty much every other VR game has it the other way around.

Do all the npcs seem short to anyone else?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it only Horizon that does it, or is it all games?

i thought this was just something that happens with 60 fps games, since the only supported hz on psvr2 are 90 and 120. so any game that targets 60 fps instead of 90 or 120 will use whatever crazy reprojection magic to interpolate frames and effectively double the frame rate from 60 to 120 (with artifacting).

i’m not sure at what level reprojection is implemented, my guess is that it’s a hardware level thing done on sony’s end and not up to the individual game developer to implement.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Jesus, this is worse than last time. I'm missing a half-inch flap of skin from the back of my thumb, it's just shorn off. This was right after the previous injury healed, like I still had the fresh scar.

I keep throwing right hooks when the guy is too close to my face. It just seems like the AI really wants to kiss me or something.

loving hell man are you lining your headset with razor blades

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KodiakRS posted:

I've never played Arizona Sunshine but after failing to put my headset away the other day the real world Arizona sunshine lasered the right screen on my old HTC Vive. Looking at potential PCVR replacement headsets it kind of seems like everything is either stupidly expensive, has some serious flaw, or is a generation behind in technology. Most people seem to be waiting for the quest 3 or Index 2. Do we think those are coming at some point in the next 6 months or should I just bite the bullet and buy a G2/Vive Pro 2/pimax8k? For what it's worth I mostly play racing/flying sims so resolution/PPD is my primary concern so I'd like something a bit higher resolution than the index or quest 2.

I'm also kind of curious about upcoming PCVR headsets, ideally using the lighthouse system, because I probably should look into replacing my OG Vive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

loving hell man are you lining your headset with razor blades

lol, nope. I'm just punching really loving hard and I'm bad at remembering to jab to keep them at a distance.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Speaking of VR'ing with injuries, I had shoulder surgery earlier this month. I've mainly been limited to Walkabout since then, but I tried No Man's Sky last night. I really, really, really wish I could rebind the "raise your left hand to your head and press grip" action. It's like doing PT every time I want to scan a hosed up deer

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

lol, nope. I'm just punching really loving hard and I'm bad at remembering to jab to keep them at a distance.

Wear boxing gloves duh

e: brb designing gloves that will work with Quest controllers, gonna be rich

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the website again that has been goon recommended for custom VR lenses for those of us who have glasses? I need to watch them like a hawk for when they get PSVR2 lenses available.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

I said come in! posted:

What is the website again that has been goon recommended for custom VR lenses for those of us who have glasses? I need to watch them like a hawk for when they get PSVR2 lenses available.

if you’re in North America, Reloptix has a magnetic setup available for pre-order. don’t remember the European brand name

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KodiakRS posted:

I've never played Arizona Sunshine but after failing to put my headset away the other day the real world Arizona sunshine lasered the right screen on my old HTC Vive. Looking at potential PCVR replacement headsets it kind of seems like everything is either stupidly expensive, has some serious flaw, or is a generation behind in technology. Most people seem to be waiting for the quest 3 or Index 2. Do we think those are coming at some point in the next 6 months or should I just bite the bullet and buy a G2/Vive Pro 2/pimax8k? For what it's worth I mostly play racing/flying sims so resolution/PPD is my primary concern so I'd like something a bit higher resolution than the index or quest 2.

The BigScreen Beyond headset might be worth your time if it turns out decent, albeit at a "Money is no object" price. Previews have been quite interested in it.

https://www.bigscreenvr.com/

Otherwise you're probably looking at a Pimax headset for a sim setup.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm not sure that constitutes cracking anything without further context, even if that file contains the handshake protocol it probably doesn't contain the keys

however it's intriguing that the PSVR2 is apparently using the linux kernel, that seems pretty heavyweight for a tethered-only headset

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

PSA: the official charging station for the PSVR2 controllers kind of sucks. Apparently third party ones are better and are half the price, so I honestly will probably return it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

repiv posted:

however it's intriguing that the PSVR2 is apparently using the linux kernel, that seems pretty heavyweight for a tethered-only headset

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1302820468819288066

tech has come a long way. poo poo is cheap now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i get your point but foone didn't actually get doom running on a pregnancy test, they replaced both the processor and the screen

if there's a full blown SOC in the headset akin to the quest then they could potentially be doing the tracking on the headset itself, which would drastically simplify getting it working on PC (assuming there's no authentication roadblocks)

e: i took a peek at that authentication.c code and there's no keys in there, so assuming any keys are actually required to initialize the PSVR2 then sony wasn't stupid enough to hand them away for free

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 23, 2023

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

punished milkman posted:

if you’re in North America, Reloptix has a magnetic setup available for pre-order. don’t remember the European brand name

I kinda wonder if this is worth it for very mild eyesight issues. My prescription is like -1, so not huge, but I do wonder if it is partially the cause of some of the blurriness.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sab669 posted:

Oh that makes sense, I know Bethesda loves tying physics to FPS lol.

There's a few mods out there to skip the opening and that's the best way to go, in my opinion. I use Realm of Lorkham. There's a few other things that can bug out aside from the cart, like it's pretty common to get into the first tower room past the dragon and be unable to move or do anything and so you have to console command unlock your player to be able to move to the guy and get your bonds cut.

It generally doesn't flip out past that, but the opening is a mess in VR.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Huh, apparently you can use the PSVR2 headset on PC but only as an additional 1080p monitor, according to the Verge article

Has anyone tried it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh, apparently you can use the PSVR2 headset on PC but only as an additional 1080p monitor, according to the Verge article

Has anyone tried it?

I can't speak to that but I do know when I connected the controller to my PC, it set itself as my primary speaker. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just got my PSVR2 headset yesterday. I also own a Valve Index. I am impressed overall with the PSVR2, but somehow the Index looks sharper to me despite its lower resolution. The Index definitely has a larger sweet spot with less peripheral blurriness. Plus I'm able to jack up super sampling on PC which probably helps. Are there any other reasons why this may be?

The FOV difference is also pretty noticeable.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2023