Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Len posted:

I assumed Council of Ricks was based off the Fantastic Four and the Council of Reeds

Yeah, the Council of Ricks is riffing off Reed specifically, but the Council of Reeds was based on the Council of Kangs which predates it by a couple of decades.

(The Council of Kangs, comprised of various versions of Kang that diverged due to his time traveling, should not be confused with the Council of Cross-Time Kangs, which included various aliens and other beings who had defeated Kang and taken his place. The film version seems to be based on both of them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mauser posted:

I was confused why anyone liked that show because every character was insufferable and British.

I could suffer Jemaine Clement as a disassociating swinging 60s beat poet for an eternity and found Amahl Farouk to be electrifyingly charismatic

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I could suffer Jemaine Clement as a disassociating swinging 60s beat poet for an eternity and found Amahl Farouk to be electrifyingly charismatic

They are talking about Downton Abbey lol

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

They are talking about Downton Abbey lol

Then I've got some ideas to jazz it up if they ever do a reboot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, the Council of Ricks is riffing off Reed specifically, but the Council of Reeds was based on the Council of Kangs which predates it by a couple of decades.

(The Council of Kangs, comprised of various versions of Kang that diverged due to his time traveling, should not be confused with the Council of Cross-Time Kangs, which included various aliens and other beings who had defeated Kang and taken his place. The film version seems to be based on both of them.)

Incidentally Rick also had an arch-nemesis show up who's basically a riff on Namor, and a lot of things really come into place when you realise how much Rick is actually based on Reed Richards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Incidentally Rick also had an arch-nemesis show up who's basically a riff on Namor, and a lot of things really come into place when you realise how much Rick is actually based on Reed Richards.

Hasn't Marvel shown that almost every version of Reed Richards outside of the "main" one is actually psychotically evil? "Rick Sanchez is just Reed Richards who didn't get into the space accident" seems about right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randalor posted:

Hasn't Marvel shown that almost every version of Reed Richards outside of the "main" one is actually psychotically evil? "Rick Sanchez is just Reed Richards who didn't get into the space accident" seems about right.

I was gonna say that, pretty much yes. And it's hilariously easy to have barely-parodies of Reed Richards who are morally compromised at best. (see the Venture Bros one)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randalor posted:

There was a thing where part of the reason is that Reed's father set a bad example by being a super scientist who ditches his family. With "our" Reed being the only one whose father actually came back. Mostly because every other version died in an epic multiversal battle royale.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

muscles like this! posted:

There was a thing where part of the reason is that Reed's father set a bad example by being a super scientist who ditches his family. With "our" Reed being the only one whose father actually came back. Mostly because every other version died in an epic multiversal battle royale.
Even the enfathered Reeds keep turning out to be one bad day away from supervillainy

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Splicer posted:

Even the enfathered Reeds keep turning out to be one bad day away from supervillainy

Whomst among us isn't

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I've not read many of the comics (I'm a DC guy), but I'm starting to see a pattern that Reed Richards is a mad scientist that is only good because he doesn't actively pursue evil intensions and that's basically it? Wasn't he also responsible the whole Marvel Zombies scenario?

Now I am really wanting them to cast Glenn Howerton as Reed in the MCU.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ommin posted:

I've not read many of the comics (I'm a DC guy), but I'm starting to see a pattern that Reed Richards is a mad scientist that is only good because he doesn't actively pursue evil intensions and that's basically it? Wasn't he also responsible the whole Marvel Zombies scenario?

A depressing number of Marvel super-scientists are like that. It's a running joke with X-Men's Beast that he is an irresponsible asshat who will poke at the fabric of existence just to see what sound it makes when you poke at the fabric of existence.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Whomst among us isn't

My goon most of us are one super power away from supervillainy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My goon most of us are one super power away from supervillainy.

And not even a good one, either. They'd use prehensile pubic hair to try and knock over a bank

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My goon most of us are one super power mod star away from supervillainy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ommin posted:

Nah, Marvel Zombies got started where an already zombified Superma- ahem I mean Sentry suddenly appeared one day and started biting people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Grendels Dad posted:

A depressing number of Marvel super-scientists are like that. It's a running joke with X-Men's Beast that he is an irresponsible asshat who will poke at the fabric of existence just to see what sound it makes when you poke at the fabric of existence.

I mean one of the recent versions of Beast do make him an evil mad scientist willing to do anything to get the results he wants.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ah, so a Republican

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's ok. He's a big tough man who's willing to do the bad things in order to.... Make choices that other people wouldn't. It's... Yea basically it's hosed.

Man I remember when I was a kid and the only weird poo poo in X-Men was whatever fetish Claremont had at the time. Now it's different planets and clones and polycules and various evil people doing random evil poo poo cause they are evil. Oh yea. Also sinister, instead of being an eccentric genius is now a dude who cloned himself across 4 diff "tribes" that all have a different card symbol on their head instead of a diamond, and they are all fighting each other because reasons.

Remember way back when Proteus popped up and made wolverine all bendy and broke him mentally for like half a year? poo poo was way less complex back then.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's ok. He's a big tough man who's willing to do the bad things in order to.... Make choices that other people wouldn't. It's... Yea basically it's hosed.

Man I remember when I was a kid and the only weird poo poo in X-Men was whatever fetish Claremont had at the time. Now it's different planets and clones and polycules and various evil people doing random evil poo poo cause they are evil. Oh yea. Also sinister, instead of being an eccentric genius is now a dude who cloned himself across 4 diff "tribes" that all have a different card symbol on their head instead of a diamond, and they are all fighting each other because reasons.

Remember way back when Proteus popped up and made wolverine all bendy and broke him mentally for like half a year? poo poo was way less complex back then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

X-Men always seems to lend itself to weird convoluted poo poo and family and continuity clusterfucks. It's probably the large cast, global scale and social commentary angles.

They also fight Dracula semi-regularly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember how mutants were introduced to marvel with the explicit editorial purpose of being able to give characters superpowers without any complex origin or baggage?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Leave posted:

And not even a good one, either. They'd use prehensile pubic hair to try and knock over a bank
Ah, the Mistfits treatment, dairy control. One of the highest bodycount in the series.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, Marvel Zombies got started where an already zombified Superma- ahem I mean Sentry suddenly appeared one day and started biting people.
Yeah but Reed went full Ash the Synth over its perfect purity and deliberately infected the f4.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah, the Mistfits treatment, dairy control. One of the highest bodycount in the series.

What a good show that was.

Uh, mostly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I mean one of the recent versions of Beast do make him an evil mad scientist willing to do anything to get the results he wants.

Wasn't Dark Beast introduced in the 90's? He was an Age of Apocalypse baddie and openly admitted it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What a good show that was.

Uh, mostly.

What a good show that was. Thank goodness they stopped after two seasons.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

Wasn't Dark Beast introduced in the 90's? He was an Age of Apocalypse baddie and openly admitted it.

Yeah, but my understanding is that Morpheus is referring to current 616/main Marvel comics Beast who was a scientist working for the CIA, or something?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That was the start, but the reason that whole universe/dimension became either zombies or zombie food was because of Reed. Early on in the infection, there were still a lot of survivors holed up on the Helicarrier, and Reed, Stark, and Banner were working on a cure and, failing that, making a portal to a "safe" dimension they could go to. to escapte.

But Reed went crazy, as he is want to do, and figured that CLEARLY this zombie virus is the peak of evolution and he deliberately infected the rest of the F4, who then in turn infected the rest of the heroes who were still on the Helicarrier, and Thor had to destroy their "emergency, last minute dimensional portal" device so they wouldn't spread to other dimensions.

IIRC, across all the various Marvel Zombie series, they briefly pop into both the Ultimate Universe (that's how they made their introduction, it was a tease in one issue that Ultimate F4 would meet the "main" 616 F4, but it was the zombies pretending to be them so the Ultimate F4 would make a portal device (I guess the zombie F4 could only make an inter-dimensional communication device, not a full portal) and also into the main 616 universe through The Nexus in Florida...I think? I remember a brief story with a Marvel Zombie Deadpool head who, due to his Deadpool power, was more in control of his faculties than the average zombie, but also couldn't regenerate anymore so was just a head, and he traveled with some other 616 zombie, but that zombie was an actual voodoo style magic zombie, not undead virus zombie, and it somehow made him immune? I can't remember. I'm sure Giant-Sized Man-Thing was involved, too.

BUT THEN, I think, the zombies did go to another Marvel universe, not 616, and started loving things up there, so The Watchers "fixed" the problem by taking the Sentry from that universe, who was now infected, and sent him to the FIRST Marvel Zombies universe to make a self-contained time/dimensional loop so no other dimension would get Zombified.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Feb 23, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So is Marvel Zombies worth reading, and why haven't we had superhero zombies in the MCU yet, and just franchise zombies?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but my understanding is that Morpheus is referring to current 616/main Marvel comics Beast who was a scientist working for the CIA, or something?

https://www.polygon.com/23604587/wolverine-kills-beast-x-men

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

So is Marvel Zombies worth reading, and why haven't we had superhero zombies in the MCU yet, and just franchise zombies?

Ehhhhh....it's a mixed bag. The original run in Ultimate Fantastic Four is good, maybe the first two runs (Marvel Zombies 1 and 2) and from there it's on and off. There was even an Ash vs Marvel Zombies series which was at least interesting since Ash was confused why the Marvel Zombies were nothing like the Deadite zombies he was used to.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

The "Beast is an amoral monster" panels I see getting posted most often around the internet have Maria Hill, then-director of SHIELD, waking up in a cold sweat because she dreamed, not without reason, that Hank McCoy blew up the moon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

The "Beast is an amoral monster" panels I see getting posted most often around the internet have Maria Hill, then-director of SHIELD, waking up in a cold sweat because she dreamed, not without reason, that Hank McCoy blew up the moon

A guy who sees every indiscretion every person on planet Earth does shows up to personally say "yo, you're hosed up".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The hosed up thing is that was BEFORE he went all batshit crazy on the latest run.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Randalor posted:

didnt Disney Plus have a What If? episode? it was their first big boy MA rated thing with the Marvel ip iirc too.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

PhazonLink posted:

didnt Disney Plus have a What If? episode? it was their first big boy MA rated thing with the Marvel ip iirc too.

Yes, and they have an entire Marvel Zombies spin-off series coming too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Randalor posted:

It started out good because its Return of the Living Dead style sentient zombies, but Marvel ran that poo poo into the ground.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
DCeased is way better than Marvel Zombies anyway, especially since they actually acknowledge that all of the gods and cosmic beings would get involved in the fight at some point. The latest books have crazy stuff like zombie Mister Mxyzptlk vs. The Spectre.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Feb 25, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, he disassembles an armored truck in super speed. Except that he's using an electric drill which wouldn't be able to keep plus it was the wrong kind of drill to loosen screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tagichatn posted:

In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, he disassembles an armored truck in super speed. Except that he's using an electric drill which wouldn't be able to keep plus it was the wrong kind of drill to loosen screws.

I found those movies enjoyable but they're awful hand-wavey when it comes to consistency. I guess it's a little weird to pick apart something like this, but it bothers me when you show Sonic travel far away, play a bunch of games, and come back within two seconds, and then at any fuckin point ever try to suggest Sonic isn't fast enough. I mean, I know stuff like that is just a gag, but... it's a gag that's so central to the entire Sonic entity. It muddies things up.

It's kind of like, if, say, Gandalf demonstrated to Frodo that he can teleport and control time but it's used only as a funny quippy joke.