Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol oops

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1628675558954475522?t=qxxHbfVxBIbrkOfVVUcMIQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jel Shaker posted:

the gently caress is a mission? sounds like a warhammer 40k thing or the spanish inquisition

A mission can fail and it can be blamed on someone else.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
I have yet to see these five missions actually laid out or explained. Great launch guys!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's giving a speech today with them because there is nothing kieth loves more than a relaunch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

never mind they got posted lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1628725919442411522?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mission 1: Tap the big sign marked 'businesses'
Mission 2: tap the other big sign marked 'the newspapers'
Mission 3, 4, 5: fill this in later

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's such a bad public speaker and can't even suppress the laugh when talking about the members

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628721117056622593?s=20

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
its pretty funny and illustrates the state of the modern UK that something like an ID card and joined up single-sign-on for government, automatic address changes, etc that is normal and good in other countries can't be embraced here because of how poo poo/corrupt/useless the government is

better things aren't possible!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mission 1:

Germany: Growth of 0.1% from 5.0% to 5.1%
France: Growth of 0.2% from 4.7% to 4.9%
UK: Growth of 0.3% from -0.4% to -0.1%

UK NUMBER ONE MISSION ACCOMPLISHED LEADER FOR LIFE ROLLL OUT THE BARRELLLL

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Feb 23, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The empires back baby

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1628731927732580353

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Needs the follow up

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1628732311754743810?t=YPovwwRpE189vhFezkjUzQ&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Do not become addicted to tomatoes

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
misery to be phased out, and replaced by happy things

magic beans for every household

slightly fewer speed cameras

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why doesn’t rhe UK just import tomatoes from a warm country … oh right yeah.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
those aren't just vague but also can mean entirely different things based on the ideology of the person saying them, and we already know starmer's ideology so it means things like 'more privatisation' and 'more cops'

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

"break down the barriers to opportunity" is genuinely impressive in how it tries so hard to be meaningless but still makes it extremely clear that they will do nothing to help you.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A local Labour county councillor was at Labours recent big local government conference, Lisa Nandy was the keynote speaker and responded to every question of "elections are in 3 months we desperately need to know what the policies are" with "tell us what you want us to do"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

let them eat turnips

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i am harry posted:

let them eat turnips

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

we should turn to a seasonal food model imo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Wanting food to be available all year round is unrealistic lefty nonsense. Glad the adults are in the room

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like the idea of regional and seasonal foods. It was a big part of culture, at least here, that's been lost as everything flattened.

My problem in this case is that it's not a return to local, or God forbid, family farms, but rather very obviously being done because of shortages. There's none of the benefits for the environment or local economy that are supposed to come from the shift back to regional agriculture. I would guess all of the money would still go to major agribusinesses, who would still truck food to supermarkets.

There's this thing in neoliberalism where they appeal to the culture they destroyed when the contradictions become unmanageable, and it always rings hollow to me.

e: and beyond that, forgive me if this is not how it worked in the UK, how it worked before was that people would fill their root cellars with vegetables and make all sorts of fruit and vegetable preserves. Later on, canning supplemented this as well. Not only has no-one stocked up like that this winter, people buy groceries every week or so now, have nowhere to keep a winter's worth of root vegetables, but also the way prices are going nobody could.

I would like it if maple was special in March, apples in September and so on. That meant something, that sense of time and place has been lost in our culture today. However, telling people to do that as a "gently caress you. Figure it out." is not really on the level of bringing back the varied meals, seasonal foods, rhythm of life, of Piers Ploughman or whatever.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Feb 23, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Frosted Flake posted:

There's this thing in neoliberalism where they appeal to the culture they destroyed when the contradictions become unmanageable, and it always rings hollow to me.

This is a good way to put it and I'm going to hold onto it

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Thinking necessarily about aspects of lettuce

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

CGI Stardust posted:

misery to be phased out, and replaced by happy things

magic beans for every household

slightly fewer speed cameras

Shedding a single tear for monkey dust

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Turnips aren't bad, but I'm not creative enough to make them good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jose posted:

he's such a bad public speaker and can't even suppress the laugh when talking about the members

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1628721117056622593?s=20

at 0:32, he starts to say "our G(overnment)" but switches to saying "our party"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Wanting food to be available all year round is unrealistic lefty nonsense. Glad the adults are in the room

the sunny brexit uplands has fortuitously led us to a British take (or flavour as it were) on “the nordic cuisine” principles of eating only locally grown and seasonal foods, simply put, the U.K. is now the Noma restaurant but on a national scale

i will be celebrating by eating some weeds growing out of a lamppost covered in dog wee with a puddle chaser

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Surprised no Tories have gone with the line that rationing is good because it's like the war

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think we are still in the #fake news stage

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

obviously fermenting tomatoes in giant mason jars and living off seasonally available food is The Way. it's just that instead of any sort of acceptable encouragement to change and adapt to that way of living from the current "HERE BUY THIS!" method of everything, they're basically just saying, "Well look, you've had your entire life to drum up books worth of knowledge about how people used to live, and arguably plenty of time to prepare not only your garden, but also your root cellar, for this very moment we've insisted would never come."

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zeroisanumber posted:

Turnips aren't bad, but I'm not creative enough to make them good.

i think you’re supposed to make “chips” with them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it rules that because they forced him on us despite it obviously being a loving disaster they're now forced to follow him everywhere because he's an ex-PM

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1628787579809062915?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's so loving bad lol

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1628728693286662144?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He's basically gonna win by default just by turning up but Keir eating absolute poo poo would be uproariously funny for the 11 seconds before remembering that rishi has got a mandate to do gently caress all while the final copper wires are pulled out of the nation's walls

(This will also happen under labour but they'll look sad while it happens. Some of them. Maybe)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's still insane to me that he got away with pinning the entire anti-Semitism scandal on Corbyn. Tens of thousands of cases of anti-semitism across only a few years, but it's OK, we got the one bad guy. It was all his fault, the entire culture of casual anti-semitism was because of this one guy, who we fired, please don't look into it anymore. And then when Jewish Labour members complained about it, they got kicked out too without a word of mention from the media. Because the scandal was over because they caught the bad guy. Amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Psst, got some lovely tomato ketchup sachets coming in on Tuesday.
Real thing, want in?

- London 2025

happyhippy has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rishi Sunak isn't real, it's obviously a bot of some sort.