Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You say that, but if you are a royal knight you will also have all the proficiencies needed for the superior griffin knight.

lol that’s just cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you think fliers' bow weakness would be a bigger deal if bows could naturally counter at 1 range if the attacker is a flier (and only then)? Like if you can't just have a Wyvern or Griffin rush down an archer and kill them in melee without taking a bow counter it might matter a bit more.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

inthesto posted:

I am trying to buff the most important aspect of the game: Etie's abs

well Warrior shows em off while Sniper covers em up, so the choice is clear

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Royal Knights have (very modestly) better growths than griffins, but for some reason a noticeably worse overall class bonus, and also their bonus is less lopsided.

It is not balanced, and the griffin knight is better on average. They should have picked one of speed or resist and gave the other to the Royal Knight.

It's a shame, because I really dig the Royal Knight conceptually.

And the answer to why they're worse than griffin knights, of course is The default one is a boss turned party member with great stats. And Engage seems to balance classes around which characters default to them

That said, they have a really good array of stat growths and a better than average bonus. So it is under no circumstances a bad class. It's just a class with a better option. Big difference.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It seems weird that the post-game lets you play infinite skirmishes but doesn't allow you to buy infinite staves.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Veryslightlymad posted:

Royal Knights have (very modestly) better growths than griffins, but for some reason a noticeably worse overall class bonus, and also their bonus is less lopsided.

It is not balanced, and the griffin knight is better on average. They should have picked one of speed or resist and gave the other to the Royal Knight.

It's a shame, because I really dig the Royal Knight conceptually.

And the answer to why they're worse than griffin knights, of course is The default one is a boss turned party member with great stats. And Engage seems to balance classes around which characters default to them

That said, they have a really good array of stat growths and a better than average bonus. So it is under no circumstances a bad class. It's just a class with a better option. Big difference.

This is the main thing. If you use the class it’s because you like the idea, you like the vibes. Kind of like how Holy Knight in 3H is really only a class you use if you like the concept.

There’s plenty of enemy squads of Bow Knights and Warriors that Griffin’s Bow weakness is legitimate, but it was definitely way overtuned. And I find the concept way less cool than Royal Knight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a few of the starting classes reach level ten, should I leave them in their class, or use this master token to evolve them into something else? I just got alcryst.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Royal Knight would be instantly better if you swapped its lances for swords because Levin Swords are so much better than Flame Lances

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a few of the starting classes reach level ten, should I leave them in their class, or use this master token to evolve them into something else? I just got alcryst.

Master Seal ASAP. There's no reason to delay in this one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use it on your favourite.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There’s literally no downside to promoting ASAP aside from not knowing the character’s “total” level.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is the main thing. If you use the class it’s because you like the idea, you like the vibes. Kind of like how Holy Knight in 3H is really only a class you use if you like the concept.

There’s plenty of enemy squads of Bow Knights and Warriors that Griffin’s Bow weakness is legitimate, but it was definitely way overtuned. And I find the concept way less cool than Royal Knight.

Holy knight had the edge case for me where it was much easier to move Marianne into, and I couldn't be arsed to change her to a dark knight once she got her skill up, because I wasn't using her magic score on anything so plebian as spells.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Last Celebration posted:

There’s literally no downside to promoting ASAP aside from not knowing the character’s “total” level.

This annoyed me to all get out in awakening and it continues to annoy me in engage. Hell, the whole series really, but those are the worst offenders. How can I keep my dudes at relative level parity if I don't know what level everyone is?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I held off on almost everyone until I could promote the whole squad, which, having a squad of "all of the characters" made this take a long rear end time. Nearly all my units promoted at 18.

And then thieves and dancers "special" classes with different level caps. So now I have to remember to subtract 18 from them to figure out their turn in the rotation.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's very funny to me that flying is perceived as a weakness to be compensated for when most of the time I'll trade anything for more fliers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Back when I had only played the gameboy games and Radiance, I used to refer to them all as "Flying liabilities".

They're much less assy nowadays.

Time was, I would trade anything for another Cavalier. They're much more assy nowadays.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey, given the survival rates of my PoR fliers I don't blame you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Flyers were always good

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

Flyers were always good

True. The only game in which I’d say they’re definitely worse than cavs is Genealogy, since they can’t use roads. They still have fantastic stats and the best weapon ranks in the game bar like Master Knight so I’m not crying too hard over it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

florina does need to be babied a bit at the start of fe7 if you dont do lyn mode but fiora has a pretty normal amount of survivability and heath is heath

i wonder if florina's fragility and the overload of axe users in early game fe7 is another thing that made people perceive fliers as insanely frail, because i feel like a lot of western fe fanbase perception of certain things really boils down to 'things that were true of fe7.' like even in fe8 vanessa is only very slightly frailer than franz.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think the big change is the indicator lines. Ain't no one got time to meticulously check the range of every individual enemy unit to see if somehow an archer can squeeze by. Now I can just glance at the map and see which of my units is definitely safe, and while the QoL is much higher, it does make the games a lot easier.

Still not gonna use one on a Fog of War map if I can help it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

florina actually has a slightly rough start in fe7 (without lyn mode) because her joining map has a bunch of ballista and archers, then there's an indoor map, and then there's the pirate clusterfuck with very strong enemies. it's only really the boat defense map where there's enemy mages for her to get kills on and she can actually spread her wings a bit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Even Tana, who was fantastic, felt like a liability. That arrow weakness is oppressive.

I've used all the fliers in both GBA games, and also lots of other people as fliers thanks to randomizers. But that feeling of "Great. Did I not notice someone has a secondary longbow?" Just never goes away.

Most units you have to fail twice or get a bad crit to make die. Fliers you have to fail once.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If snipers had automatic longbow range they would make life more interesting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also wrt the GBA newcomer gameplay perception, it feels bad to lose a ton of AS to build, like yeah as an almost competent player now I know it doesn’t really matter because Shanna/Florian/Vanessa are still gonna be about as fast as [insert male spear wielder here] in practice with added flyer utility that makes investing stat boosters worthwhile but it’s the same idea as Oifey being a “good” Jagen and FE6 Marcus being a bad one despite the latter putting in far more work.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The worst advanced class is probably Sniper. There are other classes that are also largely outclassed (Royal Knight, Berserker, High Priest) but they all at least offer something if taken in a vacuum (staves or backup) and all have strong units that start in them. Sniper just doesn't offer anything except access to the S rank bow (for the 2-3 maps that that exists.) Covert isn't very useful on a class that can't effectively counterattack, it has a basically useless class skill and it doesn't even have better bases than Bow Knight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can see a reason for Covert type on Archers/Snipers, though I guess I don't know how practical it really is. It's not going to make them great in enemy phase like Thieves are, but it can keep them safer and give you a bit more license to push them deeper behind enemy lines to take out priority targets as long as there's avoid terrain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its mostly so they get extra lyn range

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

goatface posted:

If snipers had automatic longbow range they would make life more interesting.

Longbow was restricted to Archers/Snipers for a while and tbh I think that’s a pretty good idea

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I held off on almost everyone until I could promote the whole squad, which, having a squad of "all of the characters" made this take a long rear end time. Nearly all my units promoted at 18.

And then thieves and dancers "special" classes with different level caps. So now I have to remember to subtract 18 from them to figure out their turn in the rotation.

This sounds very frustrating, I don't think I'd go through the effort to keep track

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Edit^^^
Luckily there are only 3 of those in the cast. So it's not really a big deal. And I am just treating everyone as promoted at 18 even though some were as low as 16 and Clanne made it to 20.

Covert is great. You can play less methodical with your most fragile toys.

And calling the Sniper skill "useless" strikes me as actually insane. Are you playing exclusively on the enemy turn?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally beat this game last night, hard difficulty. It was challenging without being unfair, after a while at least. The early game was pretty unrelenting, but I guess that’s par for the course with FE games. They sure loved giving characters extremely long a drawn-out death scenes in the last few chapters, huh? I enjoyed playing it but I probably won’t play on Maddening because that doesn’t sound fun at all. I will do the Fell Xenologue when that launches, I guess, but other than that I’m happy to be done with the game. Not that it wasn’t good, I just had my fill I guess.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had more fun on hard in this game that the entirety of 3 houses and maddening was even more fun. I never felt it being completely bullshit unfair compared to previous attempts in older FE games to play those maniac modes, especially fates.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I beat awakening on hard back in the day, and stepped my toe into maddening or whatever it was called, but if a game is that hard, where you savescum your way to victory, it's just honestly a waste of time to play that way. May as well drop it down and you'll save yourself some time

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit^^^
Luckily there are only 3 of those in the cast. So it's not really a big deal. And I am just treating everyone as promoted at 18 even though some were as low as 16 and Clanne made it to 20.

Covert is great. You can play less methodical with your most fragile toys.

And calling the Sniper skill "useless" strikes me as actually insane. Are you playing exclusively on the enemy turn?

Needing to not move is a very significant downside. The times where all of a)a useful target is in range of the sniper, b)the +hit is significant and c)it wouldn't be more useful to move farther ahead, are a pretty rare occurrence. Especially since taking advantage of the skill means the sniper will fall behind the group and have fewer opportunities to use the skill again on future turns.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WrightOfWay posted:

Needing to not move is a very significant downside. The times where all of a)a useful target is in range of the sniper, b)the +hit is significant and c)it wouldn't be more useful to move farther ahead, are a pretty rare occurrence. Especially since taking advantage of the skill means the sniper will fall behind the group and have fewer opportunities to use the skill again on future turns.

That's the bow knight skill.

Edit
And I agree, it kinda sucks!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Sniper passive is basically Panette's personal on a lot of enemies, the only ones that don't get hit are Wolf Knights (which are the most terrifying enemies in maddening) and like mages, but mages die to bows anyway.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

That's the bow knight skill.

Edit
And I agree, it kinda sucks!

Oh right, I got those backwards. Yeah the Sniper skill is pretty good, in the upper half of class skills, so I guess it does have that going for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't have that much experience with GBA games or anything before that, but when I think fragile fliers I think it's generally pegasus knights. And then then I've only had a bad Sumia and Subaki. Cynthia, Hinoka, Est, Caeda, Palla, and Clair all ended up fine. I don't think I used Cordelia that much when Cherche showed up.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m playing POR for the first time and the fliers in that game are very funny because you can skip the part where you have to do any kind of babying with a little bit of bexp (a few levels makes a huge difference alone) and also they thought our American brains were too small so they reduced the mt effective multiplier to 2x for us. I left Jill in range of an archer on a fog map and they did a terrifying FOUR damage to her wow and she’s like -3 on def lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weapon effectiveness was x2 in both the jp and eng versions of fe9

fe7 was the one where it got reduced to 2x in localization