Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh boys, cartoons don't have any meaning. They're just stupid drawings that give you a cheap laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

not sure if i mentioned it in this thread or the simpsons one in GBS, but it was said by marge that homer makes $40 a day, which translates to $5 per hour. adjusted for inflation for when the episode came out (1994), gives homer a whopping $20k per year salary. as a nuclear safety inspector.

He was hired basically as a bribe, despite not at all being qualified for the position. And his eventual stint at college doesn't seem to have made him any better at the job

Mr Burns is definitely getting what he's paying for

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, Homer being replaced by someone remotely competent would mean someone actually pointing out the problems. This is pretty much pointed out in the episode where the Germans buy the plant and actually try to run it competently.

Though funny thing it's occasionally noted Homer personally causes enough damage in his everyday job to be a significant line item on the plant's budget. And when he's hired away by Hank Scorpio into a management position based on a wildly errant estimate of his abilities, he actually ends up great at his job anyway- because as a manager he has way less actual work to do and is savvy enough to let the eggheads under him know what they're doing and bring them coffee and donuts, which I'm pretty sure makes him genuinely stellar as management goes. And as a minion of a bombastic supervillain, he's that perfect mix of obedient, amiable, oblivious and patient for Scorpio to have casual conversation with, bounce ideas off, and do odd jobs for him, and be, in the words of the Mighty Monarch, the mix of expendable and invulnerable that makes for the perfect henchman.

ed: Hell, the whole hammock district joke came from Homer wanting to get hammocks for his team so they can take rests at work.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Feb 23, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Homer is a multifaceted talent, there are jobs he excels at but nuclear safety technician is not one of them. Sometimes the writers seem to be unsure if Homer still has his job, or at least, are willing to make jokes at Homer's expense to that extent whenever he tries something new.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jay Sherman as an internet critic would be fine

Ehh, I honestly don't think you can do the Critic today for that reason. It's not the same. Siskel and Ebert had clout and respect in a way net critics don't except for those who are already very online. Plus it's a much more saturated market and you wouldn't have a real Duke analogue or Doris and so on.
Like you could do something that resembled the Critic today, but the core premise of the Critic and the way Jay's identity and job interact and stuff I think are too tied up with the 90s.
Plus while movies, like all art and media, are political and always have and will be, films in the 90s and very early aughts were not politicized or part of the culture war the way they are today, plus like the lack of movie stars in the modern era besides Tom Cruise.

Like Hollywood and the culture around it are by and large just too different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Straight up dropping the 90s Critic into the present times would not work, however it's possible to envision a modern Critic that satirizes current-day Hollywood and internet reviewers working. Because they remain very easy subjects to mock.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

exquisite tea posted:

Straight up dropping the 90s Critic into the present times would not work, however it's possible to envision a modern Critic that satirizes current-day Hollywood and internet reviewers working. Because they remain very easy subjects to mock.

Yeah, shows like The Critic and Mission Hill could only really exist in the 90s when they did.
A modernized version is possible, but like you said, it would absolutely have to be a reboot to account for the massive leaps in technology and culture.

Or take the How I Met Your Mother approach and make the whole show one big flashback so that they could keep everything in the 90s, which I could see The Critic getting away with as the joke of one episode.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Plus while movies, like all art and media, are political and always have and will be, films in the 90s and very early aughts were not politicized or part of the culture war the way they are today,

idk, I think movies have always been on the frontline of the culture wars. The Hays Code, McCarthyism, Video Nasties, Satanic Panic, Gay Agenda etc. Mary Whitehouse was a household name in the UK back in the day.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe in the UK, but here in the US I feel like, at least in liberal areas, it died down a lot in the 90s and early aughts. Like you had Beavis and Butthead and the Simpsons and South Park pearl clutching for sure, but it feels like it was more, at least outside the growing cryptofascist sphere, contained? Like I mean while some folks were racist about Cmdr. Sisko, I don't recall anyone saying that Deep Space Nine was part of a Jewish plot to exterminate the white race.
While a lot of these things have always been around in some form or another, it's worth remembering things have absolutely gotten worse as the right has gotten more earnestly and openly fascist and extreme. I think in the hypothetical world where The Last Jedi came out in the 90s, Jay Sherman could criticize it without having to worry about people calling him a Nazi for disliking it, or likewise could praise it without fear of people telling him he supported white genocide.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe in the UK, but here in the US I feel like, at least in liberal areas, it died down a lot in the 90s and early aughts. Like you had Beavis and Butthead and the Simpsons and South Park pearl clutching for sure, but it feels like it was more, at least outside the growing cryptofascist sphere, contained? Like I mean while some folks were racist about Cmdr. Sisko, I don't recall anyone saying that Deep Space Nine was part of a Jewish plot to exterminate the white race.
While a lot of these things have always been around in some form or another, it's worth remembering things have absolutely gotten worse as the right has gotten more earnestly and openly fascist and extreme. I think in the hypothetical world where The Last Jedi came out in the 90s, Jay Sherman could criticize it without having to worry about people calling him a Nazi for disliking it, or likewise could praise it without fear of people telling him he supported white genocide.

"I think america should be more like the waltons and less like the simpsons" - Some dude who probably wasnt anything political, may in fact have been british and probably said it in the 1970s anyway.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the rise of the internet made moral guardianship both weaker and more crazy? So the loud conservative voices bellow about drag shows and horrible filth but because there isn't a concentrated culture like there was even say 20 years ago, its hard to focus on a particular thing. But yah the Simpsons, the Real World, Marylin Manson, South Park, hell Britney Spears and Madonna all caused some amount of controversies from kids these days, to gender discussions, to discussion around sexuality. That's off the top of my head. Hell, Ellen caused issues for loving coming out.

Then again Wet rear end Pussy caused a mainstream stir, so who knows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You could probably take just about any kids cartoon from the 90s these chuds like, scrape off the name and just refeed them the pitch and suddenly they'll call it woke garbage.

I think someone actually tried that with Gargoyles a few months ago to the expected results.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You still had the exact same bullshit about everything, but the chuds now like all the 90s stuff because they were kids then and didn't care and still hold onto that nostalgia today. There was absolutely outrage over everything even the slightest bit 'left-wing' in the 90s.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not to nearly the same extent. At least, not until Newt Gingrich.

There were always the Pat Robertsons and similar, but they didn't dominate the landscape the way Culture War does today.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the_steve posted:

Yeah, shows like The Critic and Mission Hill could only really exist in the 90s when they did.
A modernized version is possible, but like you said, it would absolutely have to be a reboot to account for the massive leaps in technology and culture.

Or take the How I Met Your Mother approach and make the whole show one big flashback so that they could keep everything in the 90s, which I could see The Critic getting away with as the joke of one episode.

I wonder if it is telling that the Mission Hill reboot/sequel series is focused on Gus and Wally as opposed to Kevin, Andy, Posey, Jim, and their groups

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You could probably take just about any kids cartoon from the 90s these chuds like, scrape off the name and just refeed them the pitch and suddenly they'll call it woke garbage.

I think someone actually tried that with Gargoyles a few months ago to the expected results.

This happened with the Dead Space Remake and it was maddening. All kinds of garbage reviews about how the science fiction game is The Bad Woke for including people of diverse races on your crew and on the space ship's advertising, and for having gender neutral bathrooms. Both of which it had in the original game in 2008, and which it still has now because it is a remake of that game. Utterly maddening.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wasn't just that - it was someone actually openly saying that if Gargoyles was made today exactly the same it would be woke garbage because now it would be political, as opposed to in the 90's where all the representation and stuff was just how the story happened to be.

(Or more specifically it was Kelly Turnbull recounting someone telling her that)

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

SiKboy posted:

"I think america should be more like the waltons and less like the simpsons" - Some dude who probably wasnt anything political, may in fact have been british and probably said it in the 1970s anyway.

Grandpa from the Waltons was a blacklisted, queer communist that didn't snitch to Congress, he was awesome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Geer

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SiKboy posted:

but that poster already acknowledged the simpsons?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
It's the internet. People weren't more or less outraged in the nineties than they are now, they just didn't have easily accessible platforms to share their garbage opinions.

Say what you want about this era of terminally online fascists, but at least we actually have shows with characters that are queer or not white. In the nineties, I remember long opinion pieces about how brave/controversial Will & Grace was.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Aces High posted:

I wonder if it is telling that the Mission Hill reboot/sequel series is focused on Gus and Wally as opposed to Kevin, Andy, Posey, Jim, and their groups

It's possible.
I mean, out of the entire cast, it'd probably be easier to focus on them either as the only ones who are still in Mission Hill (with everyone else having moved on for whatever various personal and economic reasons), or being the only ones who would have left (having been the only ones who could actually save up for retirement to move)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aces High posted:

Last I heard it was set 6 months after the series ended so still the same time period

quote:

MISSION HILL FANS: FYI @Joshstrangehill are working on bringing the show back and are taking it out to buyers soon. The new show takes place about six months after the original series ended (so 2000) and there is more Gus & Wally which is why it is tentatively titled GUS & WALLY

Len has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Feb 24, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kchama posted:

You still had the exact same bullshit about everything, but the chuds now like all the 90s stuff because they were kids then and didn't care and still hold onto that nostalgia today. There was absolutely outrage over everything even the slightest bit 'left-wing' in the 90s.

There's also a lot of people co-opting stuff they loved back in the 90s even though they clearly never paid that much attention to it. A few years ago there were also a bunch of Twitter accounts going "Oh my god, when did Rage Against The Machine become so political? They used to be one of my favorites, they just lost a fan!" but as far as I can tell they were all ragebait trolls. GOP politician Paul Ryan actually did say he was a fan but "he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics" and he actually had a bit of a feud with Tom Morello when Morello said that Ryan was "the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades".

The appropriation of The Punisher and the Punisher skull logo by the right is also pretty :chloe:, especially when it gets rolled into Thin Blue Line stuff. The Punisher killed quite a few cops in the comics ...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A few years ago there were also a bunch of Twitter accounts going "Oh my god, when did Rage Against The Machine become so political? They used to be one of my favorites, they just lost a fan!" but as far as I can tell they were all ragebait trolls. GOP politician Paul Ryan actually did say he was a fan but "he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics" and he actually had a bit of a feud with Tom Morello when Morello said that Ryan was "the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades".

I had a coworker tell me this when RATM came on the radio when we were driving somewhere together. When I told him “We’re the same age and this came out when we were in high school, nothing’s changed but you” he got real quiet for the rest of the drive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Homer is a multifaceted talent, there are jobs he excels at but nuclear safety technician is not one of them. Sometimes the writers seem to be unsure if Homer still has his job, or at least, are willing to make jokes at Homer's expense to that extent whenever he tries something new.

Weirdly reminds me of the Venture Bros low-key running gag that everything Doc is actually good at is stereotypical evil mad science, or otherwise dubious at best and often illegal. And then there's the episode where he actually makes a successful world-changing invention that is immediately suppressed on threat of brutal death because it would change the status quo.

Of course also since Scorpio is a good boss, Homer is actually motivated to help him and in a good mood, and seems to be following his example.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The appropriation of The Punisher and the Punisher skull logo by the right is also pretty :chloe:, especially when it gets rolled into Thin Blue Line stuff. The Punisher killed quite a few cops in the comics ...

Its happened to judge dredd also but to a lesser extent. Written to satire and critic fascism in the Thatcher era originally, it's not hard to find chuds who think that worlds brutal system of law and order would be a good thing

Warhammer too had to put out a statement a little over a year ago to remind some of their fans that the horrible facict, racist and imperialist "imperium empire" are not there goodies

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Feb 24, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mega Comrade posted:

Its happened to judge dredd also but to a lesser extent. Written to satire and critic fascism in the Thatcher era originally, it's not hard to find chuds who think that worlds brutal system of law and order would be a good thing

kinda ironically dredd and the judges are probably less unnecessarily brutal, bigoted and unfair than american cops

Also it seems easy to miss the point that the Judge system isn't working.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the rise of the internet made moral guardianship both weaker and more crazy? So the loud conservative voices bellow about drag shows and horrible filth but because there isn't a concentrated culture like there was even say 20 years ago, its hard to focus on a particular thing. But yah the Simpsons, the Real World, Marylin Manson, South Park, hell Britney Spears and Madonna all caused some amount of controversies from kids these days, to gender discussions, to discussion around sexuality. That's off the top of my head. Hell, Ellen caused issues for loving coming out.

Then again Wet rear end Pussy caused a mainstream stir, so who knows.

These people are always afraid of the unknown. Blacks, gays, Muslims, sexually aroused women - it's all the same.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

kinda ironically dredd and the judges are probably less unnecessarily brutal, bigoted and unfair than american cops

I ran the statistics given about Megacity One in the Karl Urban Judge Dredd movie (which is awesome and you should watch it). It turns out that Megacity One has a lower violent crime rate than America in the year the movie was released.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mllaneza posted:

I ran the statistics given about Megacity One in the Karl Urban Judge Dredd movie (which is awesome and you should watch it). It turns out that Megacity One has a lower violent crime rate than America in the year the movie was released.

Also the whole point of the Urban movie is that his new partner's less orthodox and more empathic way of dealing with people works better than Dredd's methodology and that's why he passes her. By the book she should have failed when she lost her gun and let one of the perps go, but Dredd recognises that the gun was never her primary weapon, that was her mind powers, and that her judgement of that perp as being more of a victim was sound.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It was a good movie, I'm sad the sequel has been in limbo forever.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

It was a good movie, I'm sad the sequel has been in limbo forever.

Dredd 2 is back in development, friend

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

What about that Mega City One show? Did that escape limbo?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

grittyreboot posted:

Dredd 2 is back in development, friend

Yessssssssssss

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, in the comics they even showed on at least one occasion Dredd was being required to justify the use of his firearm to his superiors, with the implications that Judges had to explain why they used their gun every time they fired in the line of duty. Really, the problem with Judge Dredd comics was that they thought that police systems would become too bogged down in bureaucratic nonsense and not that they would become massive gangs with no oversight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randalor posted:

Hell, in the comics they even showed on at least one occasion Dredd was being required to justify the use of his firearm to his superiors, with the implications that Judges had to explain why they used their gun every time they fired in the line of duty. Really, the problem with Judge Dredd comics was that they thought that police systems would become too bogged down in bureaucratic nonsense and not that they would become massive gangs with no oversight.

It's specifically stated that the Judge system was implemented because law enforcement was too bogged down in bureaucracy to function. That doesn't mean Dredd doesn't have to justify himself to his superiors from time to time; the point is that he doesn't have to justify himself to anyone else. But Dredd was created as a parody of "maverick cop" movies in general and Dirty Harry in particular, asking what would happen if all the cops were mavericks and that was the way the system worked.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

On a similar note I watched Beverly Hills Cop (1984) for the first time this week, and Axel Foley's whole thing is teaching these uptight, by-the-book cops to cut corners and ignore due process.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tried watching Stephen King's Desperation and couldn't make it more than about 30 minutes. King trying to be funny is just ....not funny.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Khizan posted:

I had a coworker tell me this when RATM came on the radio when we were driving somewhere together. When I told him “We’re the same age and this came out when we were in high school, nothing’s changed but you” he got real quiet for the rest of the drive.

this phenomenon is equally fascinating to me as it is rage inducing. i've encountered it quite a bit in real in recent years. it's not like sargon/thequartering/matt walsh/etc. who are obviously misleading/lying to their audiences. no, these people actually believe things they used to never have a problem with and even like, actually somehow changed for the worse, even if they're exactly the same

been trying to see if there's a term for this phenomenon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

There's also a lot of people co-opting stuff they loved back in the 90s even though they clearly never paid that much attention to it. A few years ago there were also a bunch of Twitter accounts going "Oh my god, when did Rage Against The Machine become so political? They used to be one of my favorites, they just lost a fan!" but as far as I can tell they were all ragebait trolls. GOP politician Paul Ryan actually did say he was a fan but "he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics" and he actually had a bit of a feud with Tom Morello when Morello said that Ryan was "the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades".

Why are these people always so bad at visual arts? Like they are fundamentally incapable of creativity. It looks like Uncle Baby Billy done mashed the clownshoe button on the Paint Shop Pro too many times.

e: seriously everything else aside how did these drop shadows happen?