Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

About to get on the Disney cruise in New Orleans, and the amount of kids 5 and under is about equal to the number of people 75 and older on the Princess Hawaii cruise we took last year.

Lots and lots of kids y’all.

This seems like a direct threat to your health. Like a pistol of germs aimed at your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Taking a cruise with a kind under 5 sounds like hell to me. Then again, taking a cruise at all sounds like hell.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Is that the Disney Magic cruise? I'd be interested to hear how that one turns out for you.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Then again, taking a cruise at all sounds like hell.

Same. A buddy of mine loves cruises but they sound like hell on earth to me.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There’s a reason why adults only cruises are so much more money.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Taking a cruise with a kind under 5 sounds like hell to me. Then again, taking a cruise at all sounds like hell.

Yeah, I think it’s just one of those personal vibe things, people who love cruises absolutely love cruises, but it’s 100% not my kind of vacation. But also my vacations are doing things like solo backpacking for days at a time, and I get why other people would view that as cruel and unusual punishment.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Thankfully the 9:30 interview was running late so a bathroom disaster was avoided on my end at least.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Same. A buddy of mine loves cruises but they sound like hell on earth to me.

I also have always loathed the idea of being on a cruise. A few years ago some buddies and I were wanting to do a vacation somewhere and all of the sudden they changed course and were dead set on doing a cruise, like with their mouse hovering over “book” and I was like nope, count me out then, have fun.

That ended up being right around the time when Covid was going from an unknown to really ramping up and those cruise ships were coming back loaded with covid positive people lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I got pneumonia on a cruise!

.... okay granted it was a not high end cruise ship on the nile, but still.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

saintonan posted:

Is that the Disney Magic cruise? I'd be interested to hear how that one turns out for you.

Yes, it’s the Magic. I’ve sailed on this one and the Wonder out of New Orleans before. Should be a good time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Honestly, I love them. You pack once, get to stop at multiple interesting ports, see some cool sights, and then see something completely different the next day. No new packing, no new hotels, and if you just feel like being lazy and sitting by the pool, that’s perfectly fine too.

Kids are a lot better behaved than drunk off their rear end adults, IMO.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I worked several years in a shipyard as a pipefitter, mostly on repair work. I have been under the waterline and in the machinery spaces on countless cruise ships.

I have also never gone on a cruise.

Connect the dots.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who the hell buys new.

Right? I try to buy almost new, let someone else burn their money on depreciation.

Like for example, I just bought a new fridge from Best Buy’s outlet in Houston. 2300 dollar fridge, marked down to 1080. Everything but the fridge itself still in its packages. Nothing modified inside. Listed as having scratches and gouges but I can’t find a thing. Took the back panel off, everything is flawless inside. I’m thinking some blue shirt screwed up an evaluation. Their loss.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

I worked several years in a shipyard as a pipefitter, mostly on repair work. I have been under the waterline and in the machinery spaces on countless cruise ships.

I have also never gone on a cruise.

Connect the dots.

I’ve eaten at a ton of places where I would NOT want to walk in the kitchen.

Still enjoyed the food.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I got a fire pit for my place and boy am I stoked to make some s’mores

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I’ve eaten at a ton of places where I would NOT want to walk in the kitchen.

Still enjoyed the food.

Fair point.

To be honest, rigidly scheduled fun is not my way to travel anyway. If I decide to go somewhere outside the US, I want to go there until I run out of stuff to do or run out of money. I don't want a huge deadline of BACK TO THE SHIP BY 5 PM OR BE STRANDED over my whole day.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dirty shrimp money posted:

Right? I try to buy almost new, let someone else burn their money on depreciation.

Like for example, I just bought a new fridge from Best Buy’s outlet in Houston. 2300 dollar fridge, marked down to 1080. Everything but the fridge itself still in its packages. Nothing modified inside. Listed as having scratches and gouges but I can’t find a thing. Took the back panel off, everything is flawless inside. I’m thinking some blue shirt screwed up an evaluation. Their loss.

The laptop I got recently was on sale and then also they had an open box one for like $200 off so I got that one.

Except turns out they didn’t have any open box ones so they just gave me the new one at the open box price :toot:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Fair point.

To be honest, rigidly scheduled fun is not my way to travel anyway. If I decide to go somewhere outside the US, I want to go there until I run out of stuff to do or run out of money. I don't want a huge deadline of BACK TO THE SHIP BY 5 PM OR BE STRANDED over my whole day.

And that’s fair as well. For the most part if you do shore excursions that are planned by the company, they always have you there and back in plenty of time and the boat won’t leave without you.

If you go exploring on your own and don’t come back, they do wait a bit, but yeah, you might miss the boat.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I learned it in a fairly absurd way when stationed in Germany. We took one of those bus excursions to the Czech Republic, where we got picked up at 7 PM on base, drove all night across bases picking up people, got to Karlovy Vary at 8AM, then had the semi-guided day to spend there before a 5 PM deadline and a long bus ride back, where we were one of the last dropoffs at like 2 AM.

Then a few days later I looked at a map and said "it's a three hour loving drive from here and we have a car."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Short cruises before COVID were awesome. Just get on a boat for a few days and drink and relax. Last time I went on one, we didn't even get off the boat. I don't think I could do one that is more than 3 days though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I got a fire pit for my place and boy am I stoked to make some s’mores

Solo Stove? Or smokeless at least? That's been one of my favorite purchases of the past few years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

dirty shrimp money posted:

Outlet shopping is clutch, finding a good steal on Facebook marketplace is a rush. My buddy got a ridiculously expensive Viking gas stove that was maybe 3 years old for 25% of the original cost new. And about the equivalent of a much lesser brand. You’ll be blown away what you’d find on there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GD_American posted:

I learned it in a fairly absurd way when stationed in Germany. We took one of those bus excursions to the Czech Republic, where we got picked up at 7 PM on base, drove all night across bases picking up people, got to Karlovy Vary at 8AM, then had the semi-guided day to spend there before a 5 PM deadline and a long bus ride back, where we were one of the last dropoffs at like 2 AM.

Then a few days later I looked at a map and said "it's a three hour loving drive from here and we have a car."
Even without a car, renting a compact Opel or whatever wouldn't cost too much and would save you so much time compared to a bus making many stops.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

Short cruises before COVID were awesome. Just get on a boat for a few days and drink and relax. Last time I went on one, we didn't even get off the boat. I don't think I could do one that is more than 3 days though.

You couldn’t get me on a cruise if you paid me to do it.

wandler20 posted:

Solo Stove? Or smokeless at least? That's been one of my favorite purchases of the past few years.

Are those things actually worth it?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A little late to office chair seats, but look and see if there's an office repurposing store near you. What will often happen is that they'll get hired to tear down offices, and will get to keep any furniture they want. So often times they'll tear down an office with Herman Miller chairs and resell them. I got my Herman Miller for very cheap that way.

The one in Seattle I used was: https://duckys.com/

I was able to get on a waitlist for the chairs, and a couple weeks later they emailed me and said there were a couple available, so I bought both of them for myself and my fiancee. Best home office purchase ever.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

IMO, worth every penny. They're magic.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Cruise chat: I did a cruise to Alaska once in 2016. It was amazing, for the most part. My fiancee randomly decided to invite me on a cruise she wanted to go on, and we had a blast. Stopped at every port. Alaskan cities are pretty boring, though, but at least worth it to at least see the nature there.

We weren't dating before the cruise, but we were after. That said, I would never go on another one, just given COVID and I now have less risk tolerance for that sort of thing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Even without a car, renting a compact Opel or whatever wouldn't cost too much and would save you so much time compared to a bus making many stops.

I flogged Prague to every soldier I knew, probably went there two dozen times, every single one of them just me and the wife. Because they couldn't be loving bothered to get a passport (which it required at the time).

We went all over Czech/Austria/Germany/Italy/southern France as an E-4, and some NCOs thought I was either family rich or dealing drugs to afford it. No, you dinks, my wife and I were just willing to do a little research and also just try new poo poo. Hell, 4 star hotels in Prague cost maybe 80 bucks a night back then. We'd go there with 300 euro and come back with the trunk stuffed to the brim with shopping poo poo. A Bohemian lunch for us with beer and wine was maybe 10 bucks. Kroner supremacy, motherfucker.

It's really sad how few of the soldiers that were stationed over there took advantage of BEING IN loving EUROPE. Like you said, they could just rent a car or buy/borrow a hooptie from another soldier.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GD_American posted:

It's really sad how few of the soldiers that were stationed over there took advantage of BEING IN loving EUROPE. Like you said, they could just rent a car or buy/borrow a hooptie from another soldier.

I had a lot of older veteran patients who were stationed in Germany and I always let them get a story or two out. A lot of those guys are widowed and lonely now.

One guy was a sweet old man and when I asked about Germany all he could talk about was how strong the beer was. He was from a farm and when he got out he went right back to it. But he loved talking about how he couldn’t barely have a whole one of ‘em.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

And I’m the opposite. This is a five day cruise and it will fly. 3 days would feel like you just got on, ate, and got off to me.

Last year’s cruise was 14 days and that was dang near perfect.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

One of my favorite guys was an E-6 who was the only other GI who lived in my town (Dettelbach). When he found out I had moved in, he told me "you stay on your side of town and I'll stay on mine". He was like me, very happy to not be near other Americans when he got off work.

He was a 6'4" huge black guy (although he had weird chicken legs- he refused to do leg day because he said it'd hurt his run time), and by the time I got there, he was already sick of German girls and was exclusively plowing tall, blonde Russians. He knew all the nightclubs around and knew how nuts a tall black guy would drive the women there.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

No, wood burning

It’s silver now but will take about a year to fully rust over. I’m gonna spray paint the handles so they don’t rust. I wanna get wood Adirondack chairs but these will do for now

e: better pic from the other side, you can’t really tell but there’s string lights through the yard. I’ve been working on making it a better hangout area.

Now if only I could get rid of the mosquitos in summer….

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 23, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

You couldn’t get me on a cruise if you paid me to do it.

yeah. the only cruise i've thought about is a nile cruise.

and agree on the solo stoves -- reallllly like the one we picked up mid-pandi.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I bought a Solo Stove when we moved but haven’t had a chance to use it yet since the weather has been :piss: ever since. I also realized I have no clue where to buy wood; the only times I’ve bought it have been for camping and it’s all over the place near the campgrounds, but in the city I never see it. Our neighbors have one too so I guess I’ll just ask.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

I bought a Solo Stove when we moved but haven’t had a chance to use it yet since the weather has been :piss: ever since. I also realized I have no clue where to buy wood; the only times I’ve bought it have been for camping and it’s all over the place near the campgrounds, but in the city I never see it. Our neighbors have one too so I guess I’ll just ask.

Both Kroger and Publix near me have it in bundles

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Freaquency posted:

check craigslist for "free firewood" but with the caveat that half of it (at least) will be garbage
you can get bundles at big box stores but it's overpriced and usually mostly pine instead of hardwood
you can pay a shitload for a box or bundle of hardwood at grocery stores

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

check craigslist for "free firewood" but with the caveat that half of it (at least) will be garbage
you can get bundles at big box stores but it's overpriced and usually mostly pine instead of hardwood
you can pay a shitload for a box or bundle of hardwood at grocery stores

Last time I got it from the grocery it was like $12 for a bundle that had like 6-8 logs in it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Sustain eye contact. Establish dominance.

Back :dadjoke: to chair talk, cross-posting from the Computer chairs: the backbone of a good sit up megathread:

I got a leap V1 used and it kind of sucks :/

Maybe the one I got was just heavily used tho idk, I didn’t get to sit in any other leap V1 used.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Freaquency posted:

But also, an Aeron is useless if you don’t have an ergonomics coach or w/e telling you how to set it up. The seating in one of our conference rooms is all Aerons that were left over from the last tenant and it’s the worst place to have a meeting. None of the chairs are set up the same and it’s impossible to figure out which knob or switch to twiddle to make it work for you.

Yeah, the new computer science building at my school has nothing but Herman Miller furniture and all of the classrooms and labs are filled with Aerons with all of the features and they are annoying as poo poo to sit in. In fact that's part of the reason I don't want to get an Aeron.

I dunno, I've had my eye on the Embody for awhile now, and I can afford it with my job earnings and I do plan on taking it with me to school when I go back. I just...... don't really feel like buying it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CannonFodder posted:

I'm like you, raised Catholic but no longer practicing / no longer religious. For Lent I'm going no alcohol and getting back into the gym. I was good in January, going dry and getting to the gym regularly, but I followed Dry January with Get hosed Up February and am the worse for it.

Good luck! :respek:

I thought about recently how I used to limit myself to one beer and one soda a week and now I'm averaging one beer and one whiskey per night and could really stand to pull back from that. Soda has become a rare thing for me though!

E: Exceedingly rare I get drunk or even buzzed these days. It also occurred to me that I think alcohol has taken the place of snacking for me and while eating junk food isn't healthy... yeah, this ain't it either.

Take the zoom meeting with you. Zoom and poop.