Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

josh allen was kinda mid this year low key fr fr ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

I just saw a mock on the Athletic where the Raiders traded up to five to get him. :wow:

He’s basically Cam Newton with none of the football IQ. So scouts will just assume they can develop football IQ in this guy who has never shown any, and will pay him handsomely for the chance.

Good for him and all. I’m glad he’s capitalizing on his limited football skill set while he can. But like also I just find it intensely funny. And kinda sad that he’s going to be an NFL DRAFT PICK having never really done anything of consequence in Gainesville.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The sourness out of your typical Florida fan (not you guys) would be absolutely amazing if he somehow ends up just owning the NFL though.

Won't happen, but it'd be fun. e: if I take myself back to pre-Mahomes and not drafting a QB in the first round since 1983 I still don't want Richardson for the record. But I don't wish him harm, if he's good I'm gonna be happy for him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

The sourness out of your typical Florida fan (not you guys) would be absolutely amazing if he somehow ends up just owning the NFL though.

We are sour enough, thank you. :colbert:

Also, I think the part that would drive me most crazy is the university and fanbase celebrating him as a conquering hero when he did precisely jackshit in college.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I guess if folks really want to take Richardson in the 1st then he was smart to leave, but man I cannot see him having a long career in the NFL. Dude is not really playing QB out there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Looks like UF’s DC is officially leaving for the NFL, which does not upset me after the performance last year. Makes me wonder if he was suggested to keep his options open.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I guess if folks really want to take Richardson in the 1st then he was smart to leave, but man I cannot see him having a long career in the NFL. Dude is not really playing QB out there.

He’s got a cannon and is occasionally accurate with an OK deep ball, but he’s made of glass and makes awful awful decisions with the ball. He throws when he should run and vice versa. He has ball security issues.

I dunno, I would be pissed if my NFL team spent first round money on him. Just the biggest gamble, with no evidence of a payoff.

“Occasionally accurate” is not the recipe for success in the NFL.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The list of physically gifted QBs that couldn't put the pieces together mentally is so, so, so much longer than the opposite list that I just don't know why they keep falling in love with these types of athletes.

Yeah every once in a millenium you get Josh Allen. You also get 999 Heath Shulers.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

whos that broooown posted:

I'm not looking to shorten games, or at least gameplay. Season flies by as it is.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I've never thought that games take too long.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

GD_American posted:

The list of physically gifted QBs that couldn't put the pieces together mentally is so, so, so much longer than the opposite list that I just don't know why they keep falling in love with these types of athletes.

Yeah every once in a millenium you get Josh Allen. You also get 999 Heath Shulers.

I sometimes wonder how much is ego driven "well obviously I can develop the raw potential in a way those less competent guys at his college couldn't"?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I figure the insane roulette wheel that is drafting is just a byproduct of the NFL's decision to live with the NCAA as its only farm/development system.

If the USFL survives, you might see a decent spot for these high-risk/high-reward QBs to develop.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Soylent Pudding posted:

I sometimes wonder how much is ego driven "well obviously I can develop the raw potential in a way those less competent guys at his college couldn't"?

It is just as hard to develop the physical aspects of someone's game.

Look at all the noodle armed TTU QB's that failed in the league. Some of these guys were sharp as hell (Kingsbury, Harrell) but it wasn't until Mahomes who had both that a TTU QB actually had league success.

It's rare that any QB that is lacking in one aspect of the game (physical ability or mental) is able to transition to the NFL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think this happens to some small extent, but rarely and mostly with low round guys who aren't super athletes. I mean CJ Beathard completed passes in the NFL. Trevor Siemian was somehow a starter for a while.

Neither were ever actually any good, but they were both way better than my expectations for them which were buried below the ground.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

D.N. Nation posted:

lol at the NFL draftniks falling in line to go ga-ga over Anthony Richardson.

there's gotta be one qb at the top and bryce is short and cj is a wideout murderer so anthony richardson is as appealing as anyone i guess

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So Michigan had an icestorm yesterday and Harbaugh was like EXCUSE ME OFFICER, I'M HERE TO HELP, LET'S FUCKIN GO

https://twitter.com/A2Police/status/1628856014396362752

https://twitter.com/A2Police/status/1628856019433697283

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Driving around in his minivan with a lukewarm milk in the cup holder looking for trees to lift

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

facialimpediment posted:

So Michigan had an icestorm yesterday and Harbaugh was like EXCUSE ME OFFICER, I'M HERE TO HELP, LET'S FUCKIN GO

https://twitter.com/A2Police/status/1628856014396362752

https://twitter.com/A2Police/status/1628856019433697283

Honestly they probably shouldn't have let him do that as there are all kinds of ways that that could've turned into a liability nightmare if anybody had gotten injured.

Trees can get REAL HEAVY and REAL BRITTLE when they're covered in ice.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

Driving around in his minivan with a lukewarm milk in the cup holder looking for trees to lift

Like the blandest superhero imaginable

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This stuff eventually percolates and I'm looking forward to all the negative recruiting schools are gonna pull against the public Florida schools when talking to the families of nonwhite athletes in the coming years

https://twitter.com/jdmortenson/status/1628990995143528449

I should probably knock on wood, though, since Missouri legislature would love to copy this

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mike_V posted:

This stuff eventually percolates and I'm looking forward to all the negative recruiting schools are gonna pull against the public Florida schools when talking to the families of nonwhite athletes in the coming years

I should probably knock on wood, though, since Missouri legislature would love to copy this

Something like this would pretty much outlaw like half of the liberal arts departments for those universities. I wonder how something like that would affect accreditation of those universities.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Something like this would pretty much outlaw like half of the liberal arts departments for those universities. I wonder how something like that would affect accreditation of those universities.

Wouldn't that also hit like most law schools and any biz schools that have an HR component?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would guess the end result (after a lot of chaotic court activity) is that the law proves to be vague enough to be effectively meaningless.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
It’s almost like it wasn’t well thought out and it’s really just the equivalent of handing out Tuberville 2020 straws.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1629173014662111234

actually a better option for reach than apple

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I can't see a company with $400 million in annual revenue in the running for a bunch of football games. Maybe their parent company, who owns a shitload of local TV stations, is trying to launch some kind of Jefferson Pilot kind of thing and is offering bottom dollar for content other companies don't take?

e: And that trial balloon is quietly shot down over the Canadian arctic

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1629190891801018369

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 24, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This is getting really grim; we're approaching NHL on Versus territory here.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

General Dog posted:

This is getting really grim; we're approaching NHL on Versus territory here.

A lot of sports organizations are probably freaked out about the Bally's Sports bankruptcy, so they could be happy with any network that can pay up-front, or cancel quickly if they go broke. Bally's was funding most of the baseball franchises and that's going to be a huge clusterfuck as Bally's was directly paying teams for the broadcast rights.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's going to end like LIV Golf on Nexstar CW where they give it to some network/station group for free

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

facialimpediment posted:

A lot of sports organizations are probably freaked out about the Bally's Sports bankruptcy, so they could be happy with any network that can pay up-front, or cancel quickly if they go broke. Bally's was funding most of the baseball franchises and that's going to be a huge clusterfuck as Bally's was directly paying teams for the broadcast rights.

Maybe Scripps has a deal to acquire Bally's and it's Bally's that's inquiring about the Pac 12, and McMurphy just said Ion because it's also owned by Scripps and would cause a lot of guffawing on Twitter?

Nah, Occam's Razor says it's all bullshit

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 24, 2023

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

All the WASP NY finance people that were gonna leave have already moved to Florida and signed up for the private schools. Everyone else would rather pay state income tax than raise their kids in that hell-hole. Love to see Ron fighting yesterday’s culture war though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It makes me sad to see the state of Florida go so hard fash. I have lots of fond memories down there but they’ve really jumped the shark. Pretty wild to see.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Huge interest in middle schoolers and the education thereof by 75-year-old retirees whose own kids hate them.

Not just a Florida thing, either. My racist old coot of a mother-in-law is obsessed about how we've gotten rid of corporal punishment in elementary schools.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Huge interest in middle schoolers and the education thereof by 75-year-old retirees whose own kids hate them.

Not just a Florida thing, either. My racist old coot of a mother-in-law is obsessed about how we've gotten rid of corporal punishment in elementary schools.

My FiL’s newest wife ran for school board (with no education experience) and won on a platform of bringing prayer back to schools. She’s like 70 and her kids are all in their thirties.

Local GOP recruited and backed her, because SC is addicted to fundamentalism. So weird. Thankfully she only served one term.

Now we just have to listen to her rant about AGENDA 21!!!!! at holiday gatherings.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

My FiL’s newest wife ran for school board (with no education experience) and won on a platform of bringing prayer back to schools. She’s like 70 and her kids are all in their thirties.

This makes me want to run for a school board position on 'you know, let me tell you 60's revolutionary culture and why they were right' despite having no children.

I wouldn't win, but I'd be able to talk some poo poo. If I wanted to I could be your most annoying uncle at Thanksgiving but from the left side. 'Let's talk about that Pinkerton statue your dad gave you, why it's somewhat valuable, and why you should smash it.'

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

This makes me want to run for a school board position on 'you know, let me tell you 60's revolutionary culture and why they were right' despite having no children.

I wouldn't win, but I'd be able to talk some poo poo. If I wanted to I could be your most annoying uncle at Thanksgiving but from the left side. 'Let's talk about that Pinkerton statue your dad gave you, why it's somewhat valuable, and why you should smash it.'

Every board is different. I was reading up on local school board election and saw this comment under the article in the local paper.

"If [candidate] authored AYSO’s [large youth soccer league] transgender-participant policy, he had no business doing so. He offered no option for non-binary, gender-expansive, gender-fluid kids to participate on a gender-affirming team."

I can't even decipher that without making a ton of assumptions.

This is the same district where the black community has successfully led a push to build a new school intended to resegregate a ward

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I think a good 75% of people who run for school board are real pissed off about something stupid. Right now it’s CRT; a decade ago it was the tea party.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All school boards everywhere are exclusively populated by bored busybodies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sash! posted:

All school boards everywhere are exclusively populated by bored busybodies

It's this

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Per CBS:

quote:

Georgia defensive lineman Jalen Carter, potentially the No. 1 pick in the forthcoming 2023 NFL Draft, has been issued an arrest warrant tying back to the fatal Jan. 15 single-car accident that killed a Georgia football player and recruiting analyst. The Athens-Clarke County Police Department issued the warrant related to alleged reckless driving and racing, both misdemeanors.

Police initially believed that the crash was caused because LeCroy's driving too fast; however, statements and evidence have since revealed at least two other cars were at the scene -- both driven by Georgia football players. Police have not released surveillance video, citing the footage as evidence in an ongoing investigation.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ohhhhh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Oh gently caress :staredog::stare::staredog: