Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the clone uprising on Kamin-

Oh :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Officially, there never was a "Clone Rebellion" on Kamino. Unofficially, approximately twenty years after we were created, a special detachment of the Imperial 501st Legion was dispatched to Kamino, with orders to eradicate an army of clones that had been bred to take arms against the Empire."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Assepoester posted:

I guess Bad Batch is covering this, but it feels like something happened at some point to make clone soldiers a "shoot on sight" threat to the Empire

In Kenobi, we see at least one clone just being a homeless beggar, so it's can't be that much of a crack down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Given the accelerated aging, it's a problem that will sort itself out inside a decade give or take.

I had a concept I was kicking around for the FFG tabletop RPG that has a central mechanic around your character having an obligation like a debt to pay to a crime lord etc to make my guy a clone veteran "addicted" to anti-aging drugs to stay alive.

Also a good time to remind everyone in spite of their physical maturity, every clone we see lead into battle is an according to Hoyle child soldier.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

"Officially, there never was a "Clone Rebellion" on Kamino. Unofficially, approximately twenty years after we were created, a special detachment of the Imperial 501st Legion was dispatched to Kamino, with orders to eradicate an army of clones that had been bred to take arms against the Empire."

love Battlefront 2 (Classic, 2005)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SyRauk posted:

You mean Tatooine?

firsttime?.gif

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I liked the part in todays Bad Batch where the kids get to keep doing child labor, but at least it's a co-op now!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SyRauk posted:

You mean Tatooine?

They missed a primo opportunity to have Boba rename the planet after his dead Tusken GF.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Burning_Monk posted:

In Kenobi, we see at least one clone just being a homeless beggar, so it's can't be that much of a crack down.
I mean in the sense that if one shows up at a military base pretending to be a soldier they immediately assume they should shoot him, not that they care to hunt down every beggar on the street.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lol the AMCA episode on Kenobi starts with the people who hadn't seen the show before apologising to those that had for making them watch it twice.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Must be coming out of my SAD funk, because my attention span is back. Caught up on season 2 of The Bad Batch. How is this show so loving good? And their VFX team is wagging their collective dick at us with all the particle effects.

Show good.

Guess I should watch Andor, now.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

They could weave everything that happened during Boba Fett into this show much as they would if they had decided to have all that stuff happen off-screen between seasons, but they won't. Because of this.

"You want to know what happened, just watch the other show."

It's not good and it will eventually lead to a much bigger knee-jerk paradigm shift away from serialized storytelling altogether if they're not more careful.

People got tired of having to follow thirty goddamned funny books to know what was happening and when combined with a few other equally-sized failures, that industry is all but dead and functions now only as an IP farm and test bed for actual money-makers.

I mean, you have to watch The Mandalorian to understand what's happening in Boba Fett.

The big issue is simply that no one minds watching The Mandalorian. Most of Boba Fett is garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anything else been done with Mount Tantiss in season 2 of Bad Batch? I haven't watched the season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This week on the Bad Batch they show what you should do to the owner class.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

twistedmentat posted:

I want to know how Dave Filoni got motion capture of me having a light dinner.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

Nemik has nothing on Benni. mfer just said, 'hey wait a minute, the bosses are exploiting our labour!' and everyone was down for revolution.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like how they basically say im the denoument summation of the episodes moral instruction: "the empire isn't the only threat there's also capitalism"

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

I want to know how Dave Filoni got motion capture of me having a light dinner.

the kids just attack that bowl with spoons.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also a good time to remind everyone in spite of their physical maturity, every clone we see lead into battle is an according to Hoyle child soldier.
This actually makes a lot of sense in an IRL military context given the way the US military wanted soliders as young as legally possible for high risk things like flying bombers in WWII since they had less to lose and more confident that they wouldn't die.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying we should think of Clone War clones as being like young men, not mature veterans.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Thundercracker posted:

I mean, you have to watch The Mandalorian to understand what's happening in Boba Fett.

The big issue is simply that no one minds watching The Mandalorian. Most of Boba Fett is garbage.

People absolutely would mind, because think about it for a minute: let's say somebody hasn't been keeping up with Star Wars Content for a while, and decides to watch The Boba Fett Show.

This is presented, initially, not as a sequel to Manderlorian Season 2 but as a sequel to Return Of The Jedi. The first episode only really makes sense with the pre-understanding that Boba Fett was a guy who worked for a powerful space-gangster named Jabba, and the half the organization just got wiped out in a big gunfight. So now the series' premise is that Boba survived and was promoted to head of the organization by default. It's bad storytelling to just assume people have already watched a movie, but this is otherwise pretty straightforward.

As The Boba Show progresses, though, it's gradually revealed that the span of time between "Boba climbs out of the hole" and "Boba is promoted" is actually huge. The flashback sequences keep getting longer and longer, until it turns out that years have passed. This means that half the show has nothing to do with this initial premise, and instead is about this gap. And this is where the story makes little fuckin' sense at all because this is secretly a Manderlorian 'midquel' and you were supposed to have watched two whole seasons of television beforehand. Like, for a hypothetical new viewer, they didn't even know that's the case. There's no forewarning. So they'll be watching The Boba Show, there's a whole subplot where Boba's really interested in getting his armor back, and it just... doesn't happen. Instead, out of nowhere, our viewer is hit with spoilers for the entirely different show that they were, unknowingly, supposed to have watched. Even if they pause their viewing, google what the hell's going on, and watch 20-ish episodes of a different series, they already know a good chunk of how that show ends.

Even if you're not a first-time viewer, this is bad storytelling. The entire series is building up to the big event, and it's already happened offscreen and it just drops like a stone. The second half of the show has nothing to do with the first, at all, but also doesn't really tell a complete narrative. There's really no reason to watch it at all, except to fill 'plot holes', and you could just read a wookieepedia article to do that.

In short, the crossover makes both shows suffer badly. It's crap.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The issue I had with Booka Boba is that it's pitched as Boba Fett becoming a "king by his own hand" a la Conan, as a crime lord. But then, because Disney Star Wars demands unambiguous good guys fighting nebulously defined Evil, he often acts like he doesn't even know what "crime" is. He refuses to traffick drugs and is bemused by the notion that he can hire thugs, with money.

Edit: I thought the Dances With Massiffs parts of the show were the best. It's a rare example of Star Wars EU "filling in the blanks" around something, in this case the Tusken Raiders, without going totally sideways on the original concept for no reason.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 23, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

The issue I had with Booka Boba is that it's pitched as Boba Fett becoming a "king by his own hand" a la Conan, as a crime lord. But then, because Disney Star Wars demands unambiguous good guys fighting nebulously defined Evil, he often acts like he doesn't even know what "crime" is. He refuses to traffick drugs and is bemused by the notion that he can hire thugs, with money.

I will never stop being mad that they set up this whole deal with "we need muscle, we need more guys to fight the syndicate" and keep showing the flashbacks of the tribe and Boba learning from one and other, teasing a pretty good payoff of him calling in his tuslen tribe pals to beat the brakes off the fish people.

Then they fridge the whole tribe (women and children too) in a different flashback for a much less interesting payoff. (they win because Raygun Givens sends a few yokels in technicals and they have plot armor)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlbear Camus posted:

I will never stop being mad that they set up this whole deal with "we need muscle, we need more guys to fight the syndicate" and keep showing the flashbacks of the tribe and Boba learning from one and other, teasing a pretty good payoff of him calling in his tuslen tribe pals to beat the brakes off the fish people.

Then they fridge the whole tribe (women and children too) in a different flashback for a much less interesting payoff. (they win because Raygun Givens sends a few yokels in technicals and they have plot armor)

Also how at the end when everyone's been dealt with and him and Fennec are for real in charge and he's just like "this life isn't for us"

.... what?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As someone who enjoyed BOBF, given how it clearly unfolded, there's no way that anyone including Lucasfilm's notorious revisionists can convince me that this didn't happen:

Favreau: So here's the scripts for Mando season 3! Since Pedro has some commitments, we're going to spend the first half on Boba Fett to see what happens to him after the end of S2. Boba is a Mandalorian. Din is a Mandalorian. This show is called "The Mandalorian". This will work out!

Disney: Wait, Boba Fett is one of our most marketable characters! Why not just make this a new Boba Fett show?

Favreau: No, but Pedro's character comes back toward the end. This is about two different Mandalorian warriors, so it fits better under the singular "Mandalorian" title, but this expands what we can do, almost an anthol---

Disney: "Boba Fett: The Series!"

Favreau: "No you see, what I'm trying to say is...."

Disney: We can brand action figures under it too!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

Also how at the end when everyone's been dealt with and him and Fennec are for real in charge and he's just like "this life isn't for us"

.... what?
I mean, based on the events of the show, clearly not.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cheesus posted:

As someone who enjoyed BOBF, given how it clearly unfolded, there's no way that anyone including Lucasfilm's notorious revisionists can convince me that this didn't happen:

Favreau: So here's the scripts for Mando season 3! Since Pedro has some commitments, we're going to spend the first half on Boba Fett to see what happens to him after the end of S2. Boba is a Mandalorian. Din is a Mandalorian. This show is called "The Mandalorian". This will work out!

Disney: Wait, Boba Fett is one of our most marketable characters! Why not just make this a new Boba Fett show?

Favreau: No, but Pedro's character comes back toward the end. This is about two different Mandalorian warriors, so it fits better under the singular "Mandalorian" title, but this expands what we can do, almost an anthol---

I mean...War of the Bounty Hunters gave us...

"What if Boba Fett, but all in black?"
"Genius."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cheesus posted:

The rumor is even dumber, the whole thing was a hedge bet so they could play hardball with Pedro Pascal's contract negotiation for season 3 and still have a show if it fell apart. Then they actually had to make something and just hastily repurposed some Mando B-plots

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Andor season 2 is the last one and Luna has said that it will take us right up to Rogue One. I feel like it's an HBO's Rome Season 2 situation because that feels like a lot of ground to cover to get Andor from where he is at the end of S1 to a heartless killer with years behind him in the movie.

Rebels is roughly the same time as Andor, right? Maybe a bit earlier? I'm curious if Andor season 2 would make a point about Luthen reaching out with his network to contact the various Rebel groups from that show in order to form the initial Rebel Fleet from Rogue One.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I vaguely recall someone in the thread mentioning long ago that Mon Motha went into the hiding with the help of the Rebels crew after speaking out against the Ghorman massacre, something that happens between Andor S1 and Rogue One. Given that Ghorman was brought up a couple of times in season 1, it feels like they are setting up to portray the same event in season 2, but I've no idea if the depiction in Rebels leaves enough room for them to show a difference angle on events that leaves out the Rebels cast.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think where the rubber meets the road if it interferes with the story they're telling in Andor, Andor isn't going to be beholden to slavish adherence to the depiction from a cartoon, TBQH.

They already moved the event 16 years in the cleanup from "legends" to official proper mouse canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait for Dave Filoni to be pegged as a co producer and screenwriter for season 2 of Andor and then it all becomes Rebels Season 5.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

I actually don’t believe that censorship is the reason. The issue is narrative.

Like, as noted earlier, the actual story is that Din The Mandalorian is hired to do a job for Boba Fett, which is to wipe out a bunch of evil gangsters who’ve already massacred some native people, and are threatening more innocents.

Fett’s not interested in drugs, or any other aspect of running a criminal empire, because his primary motivation is revenge.

So, the actual story begins with Fett spending money like water, recruiting as many impoverished and victimized people as possible under the pretence that he’s just another gangster. (Meanwhile, Din tries to move on while Lil Yoda decides to be adopted his son.)

The trouble is that, instead of showing the recruiting process in a quick montage or something, we have four full episodes of Boba wandering around, half-assedly investigating the situation, acting oblivious, contemplating how he got there, taking a nap, etc. It’s pure filler. Also, because of how things are sequenced, the scene where he decides to hire a bunch of people occurs after he’s already hired everybody.

The proper way to tell the story is to begin with Fett already aware of, and concerned about, the impeding invasion. Gangsters have already killed the sheriff of the nearby town. It’s Fett’s first day, in an empty castle, with nothing at his disposal but a lot of stolen cash. “We gotta recruit a bunch of people, fast”. Everyone’s afraid and nobody takes Fett seriously, so he can only get the worst fuckin’ losers on his side. Jabba’s family is just like “go ahead and keep the castle; the planet’s hosed.”

Blah blah blah, they kill all the baddies and ‘Cad Bane’ does the “what’s the difference between you and me???” thing, and Fett reveals that it’s not about the money for him; it’s about justice.

Now, I’m not making any of this up. All of that stuff is technically already in the show, but it’s so badly conveyed that Fett comes across as an idiot. Without a clear motivation, his actions appear totally arbitrary. It’s just bad editing.

If you go back to the discussion of Obiwan Show, we had the same failed twist: Reza was only pretending to be obsessed with killing Obiwan, as part of a broader scheme to get close to Anakin. But because it’s badly conveyed, it doesn’t register as a twist, and she instead looks like a dummy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They already pretty much threw out andor's preexisting backstory from some lovely comics for the show. But I think throwing out parts of rebels hits a little too close to the filoni fiefdom, not as small an ask

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait for Dave Filoni to be pegged as a co producer and screenwriter for season 2 of Andor and then it all becomes Rebels Season 5.

I thought that’s what Ashoka was supposed to be

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Larryb posted:

I thought that’s what Ashoka was supposed to be

Where is Thrawn!?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Slashrat posted:

I vaguely recall someone in the thread mentioning long ago that Mon Motha went into the hiding with the help of the Rebels crew after speaking out against the Ghorman massacre, something that happens between Andor S1 and Rogue One. Given that Ghorman was brought up a couple of times in season 1, it feels like they are setting up to portray the same event in season 2, but I've no idea if the depiction in Rebels leaves enough room for them to show a difference angle on events that leaves out the Rebels cast.

If I remember right she does a general broadcast, that the rebel team sees and then later helps her. So there should be some decent wiggle room for what happenings on Corrisaunt and when she meets Phoenix Squad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the Rebels team meets her in middle of nowhere space with the Empire after her after she publicly announced that she was a rebel, so there's plenty of room for Andor s2 to cover Mon Mothma going public, without having to interact with a kid's cartoon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does leave me to wonder why she'd go public and I imagine it will be in no small part due to destroying her own family for the cause and some prodding from Lithen.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I assume they're gonna end an arc with Mon Mothma making her public break with the Empire then start the next one with her whisked off to a Rebel base. More interesting is how they'll handle the Saw/Mothma split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Perrin and her tradwife daughter are going to turn Mothma in for a mug that changes colour, but Luthen helps her escape with Andor and we see what happens to her before that rebels episode and she gets on the ghost. They already have a cgi model of the ghost so its not hard to have if hanging outside a viewport.

I love that I keep seeing "andor is the best star wars, therfore all star wars not andor is bad" all over the place. What ever happened to nuance?