Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Toplowtech posted:

He was a member of the communist party of slovenia during the 80s, so he is kind of 800000% the type of communist an American can ever hope to become. Also he quitted over the "trial against the 4" which was a "human rights" defender's position.

lol he was a socdem in slovenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Eurocommunism is just another type of fascism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jimmy Carter, Mr. President Human Rights Who Cares About Human Rights More Than Anything Else, supported the Shah of Iran, praised the Shah's brutal police state as an island of stability in the Middle East, and escalated arms sales to the Shah so he could oppress and murder more of his own people in the final years before the Iranian Revolution. And then for fun he also began the program of arms shipments and covert support for the mujahedin in Afghanistan that contributed to a decade of war and somewhere in the neighbourhood of ten million dead, injured, or displaced civilians, destroying a country that has still not recovered four decades later. But I guess he built some houses later in his life or something so really who's to say if he's good or bad, because how many people they killed abroad isn't relevant when assessing the quality of an American president.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Also not his fault necessarily but we're at 30+ years of centrist losers re-spinning his story that he was such a left winger (by the standards of a US president, at least) and that's why he got one term and that's why we need to triangulate and blah blah blah, when of course he ran as a centrist dem party moderate guy. You even see people in this very forum occasionally try to slip that lie in that he was the last leftist or at least non-centrist president.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

carter shutdown the federal government 4 or 5 times because he kept getting mad that legalized abortion was a thing that existed

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

vyelkin posted:

Jimmy Carter, Mr. President Human Rights Who Cares About Human Rights More Than Anything Else, supported the Shah of Iran, praised the Shah's brutal police state as an island of stability in the Middle East, and escalated arms sales to the Shah so he could oppress and murder more of his own people in the final years before the Iranian Revolution. And then for fun he also began the program of arms shipments and covert support for the mujahedin in Afghanistan that contributed to a decade of war and somewhere in the neighbourhood of ten million dead, injured, or displaced civilians, destroying a country that has still not recovered four decades later. But I guess he built some houses later in his life or something so really who's to say if he's good or bad, because how many people they killed abroad isn't relevant when assessing the quality of an American president.

well, to be fair regarding the afghan thing he was hoodwinked by a pole.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bedpan posted:

carter shutdown the federal government 4 or 5 times because he kept getting mad that legalized abortion was a thing that existed
he also explicitly mobilized Christians to vote for him for religious reasons and oops turns out you can't put that one back in the bottle

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

he also explicitly mobilized Christians to vote for him for religious reasons and oops turns out you can't put that one back in the bottle

carter got up to an impressive amount of evil in just four years

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bedpan posted:

carter got up to an impressive amount of evil liberalism in just four years

Don't launder what he did with nice sounding euphemisms

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/sapna/status/1628780109942386688

Lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you can make up fake independent voters all day but make up just one fake investor... :jerkbag:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Look on my works, ye mighty, and turn state's witness

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Look on my works, ye mighty, and turn state's witness

Still one of the funnier parts of the whole scam is that they read Ozymandias and named their company after it because they read it as a "call to think big while remaining humble."

Anyway, add Ozy to the list of classic Miami scams. Very emblematic even though for practical purposes they had to locate in Silicon Valley.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bedpan posted:

carter got up to an impressive amount of evil in just four years

Tbf this is normal for US presidents.

If you're not performing evil by the boatload you're underachieving.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I wonder what the average time is between inauguration and ordering someone murdered by assassination or drone? Week? Maybe 10 days?

Give me the job of president and I'd be mad as a hatter from spooling out the implications of all of the terror I'm inadvertently inflicting just by letting the system work as it normally does. Add intentional poo poo on top of that and I'd be goddamn catatonic.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the electoral college, primaries and two year long campaign cycle do a pretty good job of keeping anyone who isn't an absolute bloodthirsty psychopath away from the presidency

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the usa is an evil institution and no one can wield its power without becoming corrupted by evil themselves. just like in lord of the rings

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wonder what the average time is between inauguration and ordering someone murdered by assassination or drone? Week? Maybe 10 days?

Give me the job of president and I'd be mad as a hatter from spooling out the implications of all of the terror I'm inadvertently inflicting just by letting the system work as it normally does. Add intentional poo poo on top of that and I'd be goddamn catatonic.

well you cant count poppy bush's time as CIA director that doesnt count

so only like minus four-and-a-half years for poppy bush directing unauthorized kill squads as veep

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
last time zizek opined on trans issues he wrote 30,000 words jerking off to inevitably come to the conclusion on the need for gender neutral bathrooms *sniff*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1628046902695497728

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

she's not really calling it the witch trials of j.k. rowling is she?

i know, i know.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also if people don't recognize the name that is the Phelps who left the Westboro Baptist Church, wrote a memoir about how she learned to turn away from hate, and is now a terf lmao

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol some anti trans psycho who wrote something for bari, which jon chait then quoted in a transphobic piece, turns out to be a flagrant liar! shock of shocks!!

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1628782029478277120
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1628810995329007616

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol some anti trans psycho who wrote something for bari, which jon chait then quoted in a transphobic piece, turns out to be a flagrant liar! shock of shocks!!

Is this about the lawsuit where a "whistleblower" is suing the clinic and being represented by a Republican councilman?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

to be fair he wasn’t the first guy who did this, the Christians were already being mobilized, he just got to them before the repolarization of parties was finished. He also straight up left his church in the early 1990s because they were getting too weird and conservative

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vyelkin posted:

lol check this poo poo out
https://www.jimmycarterlibrary.gov/assets/documents/state_dinner_menus.pdf

quote:

The Shahanshah and the Shabanou of Iran - November 15, 1977

## Dinner:
    - Mousse of Sole with Salmon Hearts
    - Sebastini Pinot Chardonnay 1976

- Supreme of Pheasant
    - Wild Rice
    - California Broccoli
    - Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon 1973

- Watercress and Mushroom Salad
    - Trappist Cheese

- Hanns Kornell Brut
    - Frozen Praline Crown with Chocolate Pears
    - Demitasse

## Entertainment:
    - Sarah Vaughn (Carl Schroeder, Piano; Walter Booker, Bass; Jimmy Cobb, Drums)
    - Dizzy Gillespie (Rodney Jones, Guitar; Benjamin Brown, Bass; Mickey Roker, Drums)
    - Willis Conover (Narrator)

### Selections:
    - Blues for Charlie Parker (Vaughan-Gillespie)
    - How High the Moon/Ornithology (Lewis-Hamilton/Harris) Round Midnight (Monk-Williams-Hanighen)
    - Misty (Garner-Burke)
    - Lover Man (Ramirez-Davis-Sherman)
    - Salt Peanuts (Gillespie-Clarke)
    - Summertime (Gershwin-Heyward)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

food sounds nice, but goddamn that "Entertainment" ugh to be a fly on that wall

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jimmy wrapped himself in the rebel flag on the campaign trail he is bad and im glad he dying

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

They got so obsessed with their "I identify as an attack helicopter" 'joke' they convinced themselves it was totally real

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019
jimmy carter: issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the perpetrators of my lai. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

time magazine, may 31 1976 posted:

Critics recalled last week that after First Lieut. William Galley Jr. was convicted in the spring of 1971 of murdering at least 22 South Vietnamese civilians at My Lai, Carter warned that "the ruling will seriously demoralize our troops." He described the conviction as a message to American soldiers that "we don't approve of your actions if you carry out orders." The next day, he proclaimed American Fighting Men's Day in Georgia to honor U.S. servicemen in Viet Nam. A month or so later, Carter modified his stand. He explained that he had "merely tried to escalate the Calley reaction into support for our fighting men, not just Calley."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

jimmy wrapped himself in the rebel flag on the campaign trail he is bad and im glad he dying

I think that was the flag of Georgia at the time, and also the entire time he was governor, and also literally until the year 2001

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah lol. Why is jimmy carter standing next to the flag of his state?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1628797461614526469?s=20

Sorry to all those folks who thought they weren't working for a nazi propaganda rag, here's a reminder

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

at least the nyt is making their loyalties clear, so liberals can stop worshipping it and recognize it for the fascist rag it always has been. right? haha they're doing that right

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Tankbuster posted:

yeah lol. Why is jimmy carter standing next to the flag of his state?

fuckin got em, rest in piss jimmy farter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The British press after forcing everything to be total poo poo on us now trying to make us love it too

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1628886686837927948?t=yLGz-5JisCYISTDOsKG7_g&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy Carter pardoned Peter Yarrow for being a rapist pedophile

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it was the 1970s. Being a rapist and pedophile was pretty cool. Marrying out of your race was looked down upon though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

LOOK AT MY BRAND AND DESPAIR!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jimmy Carter pardoned Peter Yarrow for being a rapist pedophile

Tankbuster posted:

it was the 1970s. Being a rapist and pedophile was pretty cool. Marrying out of your race was looked down upon though.

lol he pardoned the guy 10 years after he had served his sentence (3 months of a 1-3 year)
wtf