Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is a magic mod for Rimworld where you can have a pawn be a nercomancer/lich who can revive the dead as zombies. Not just other pawns but animals as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Playing as a necromancer in Heroes of Might & Magic 2 was fun. You'd run around bullying weak monster packs and resurrect them as skeletons for your army. Also it had those vampires that went *fwoop* *flapflapflapflapflap* *feeoop* "BLAH!"

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 23, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't actually played it so other people can correct me but I believe the second Pathfinder RPG will let you be a necromancer both mechanically and narratively?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I haven't actually played it so other people can correct me but I believe the second Pathfinder RPG will let you be a necromancer both mechanically and narratively?

Extremely Yes. My Necromancer in that was obscenely strong and it really sold in the narrative that fighting against undeath is impossible without killing the source of it. It was fantastic but it definitely took a long while to ramp up to that point.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shine posted:

Playing as a necromancer in Heroes of Might & Magic 2 was fun. You'd run around bullying weak monster packs and resurrect them as skeletons for your any. Also it had those vampires that went *fwoop* *flapflapflapflapflap* *feeoop* "BLAH!"

:skeltal::hf::drac: sup HoMaM2 Undead appreciator. I've been thinking about it lately after hearing about the Fheroes 2 Resurrection project.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Magnetic North posted:

:skeltal::hf::drac: sup HoMaM2 Undead appreciator. I've been thinking about it lately after hearing about the Fheroes 2 Resurrection project.

Nice! I always found HOMM2 more charming than HOMM3, with its cartoony graphics. I'll check this out!

Vampire Lords were such amazing bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-7al6oFVs

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
This is now the HOMM2 necromancer appreciation station

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Iratus: Lord of the Dead has good Necromancer vibes. It plays like Darkest Dungeon, except since your troops are undead, you just stitch them back together if they get destroyed, as long as you have the resources to do so. Iratus, the lich you play as is voiced by Stephan Weyte, who did Caleb in the classic Blood FPS games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Total War Warhammer has a necromancer vampire faction that leads armies of skeletons and zombies to battle.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Splicer posted:

Looking for a game that involves extensive exploration of one of those giant cruise ships.

Might replay SS2 in the meantime.

Have you played Resident Evil: Revelations? Horrible monsters ate everybody on a cruise ship, now you arrive to investigate. There's a handful of levels taking place on an island and in the arctic, but a good 75% takes place on a cruise.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Are there any games that really put the romance in being a necromancer?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLT-dl89LQ

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

Nice! I always found HOMM2 more charming than HOMM3, with its cartoony graphics.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej8fQmgxFlY

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous does! Although you have to sacrifice your lover to finalize the transformation, so ymmv

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone have suggestions for PC games with regular periods of forced, unskippable waiting?

I need a game that I can play while multitasking back and forth with something else, like drawing or writing. I have extremely bad ADHD and if I play a videogame while my meds are kicking in, I get completely tunnel-visioned on it. But I also sort of need a second thing going on while I work on things like art or writing, I need 2 things my attention can ping pong back and forth between. Specifically not games where I can "hurry through" the downtime periods - i.e. not a colony sim like Rimworld where I can just press a button to increase the timescale or turn based games where I can just press a button to start the next turn immediately, because I have no self control. If it's a turn-based game or something where I can set it to max speed I will invariably do that and lose an hour or two of my day laser focused on a videogame, so I need a game with regular forced periods of downtime so that when my attention gets diverted to the video game it keeps getting forced back to my work.

Two games I've played extensively for this purpose, but I could use something new:
Elite Dangerous - you spend a majority of your playtime waiting for autopilot to take you from one jump point to the next. It's pretty much the ideal game for this (I even get to be all immersed and pretend I'm sitting at a desk in a spaceship doodling while I wait to reach the jump gate or whatever)

Captain of Industry - it's a factory builder that's largely free of micromanagement and it has a nice slow pace and is an excellent game, but now that I've played a bunch of it I can't stop myself from fast-forwarding constantly and spending all my time planning ahead and optimizing. The main reason it works for this while other factory builders don't is because there's no player character running around the world, you control everything RTS style with a freely movable camera. Something like Factorio involves lots of running around exploring the world and building long conveyor belts at the speed of your character's movement, whereas CoI just lets me click the start of a conveyor then zoom my camera over to the end and place it, then wait while it builds.

I'm open to pretty much any genre other than idle/clicker games because they just don't scratch my entertainment itch the right way, and MMOs, which are the two genres that are theoretically best for this tbh :shrug: It's important that the waiting periods are regular (10-15 minutes apart maybe?), at least several minutes long, and that I can't skip or fast forward them. Also that I don't have to pay attention to the game during them (no long cutscene-heavy games)

Comedy Option: playing Dwarf Fortress after a fort reaches FPS death :v: DF would be an absolutely perfect game for this if I was capable of forcing myself to endure it at like 20FPS

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 25, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about Animal Crossing? So long as you don't cheat the clock, there's only so much you can do each day.

Rebel Galaxy or Sid Meier's Pirates! also have that sort of lengthy transit mechanic. Maybe Mount and Blade? I don't really remember.

I think some live service games have a whole "wait a couple hours or pay money to do a thing next" but I don't know of any specifics. Old Republic is the only MMO I've played and it has a couple of those, but you might still be able to lose a couple hours plodding through quests.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not about limiting how much I can play per day, but how much I can do at one specific time before the game forces me to stop interacting with it for a brief period of time. With something like Animal Crossing or a MMO with stamina limits, I'll exhaust everything there is to do in one sitting with unbreaking laser focus. More about wanting something that forces me to play it at a slow pace that I can play absent-mindedly in the background throughout the day.

Mount and Blade lets you crank the time scale up on the world map so travel becomes extremely fast and there's not much downtime. Pirates! unfortunately requires constant manual navigation, you can't just click a city on the world map to start auto-sailing there :( The first Rebel Galaxy is the same way, Google says the second has autopilot but wasn't it more of a straight up action shooter game?

E:D in particular works because the balance between uptime and downtime is like, 30-60 seconds of interacting with the game followed by 3-10 minutes of not interacting with it while it autopilots, with occasional opportunities to do something more involved (docking at a station, trading, cracking an asteroid open, etc). There are a lot of trading/merchant type games but none that I'm aware of that give you so much downtime that you can't fast-forward through (because of E:D's insistence on being a pseudo-MMO, which is not a great design decision overall but makes it ideal for this specific purpose)

The phone games with stamina limits are like: 2 hours of playtime followed by 22 hours of downtime which isn't what I'm looking for. And they're not even very fun games :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 25, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pick up one of those phone games that only let you play a limited amount per day. :sun:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Short puzzle based games like Into the Breach and Vampire Survivors are perfect for short sessions. VS has a fast mode that lasts 15 minutes which is ideal.

That said, I think you’re treating the symptom and not the root cause.

I know this is just the games recommendation thread but it sounds like you need to reconfigure your workspace. In my experience, a device without games installed that plays podcasts, twitch streams or Netflix is optimal for keeping the rowdy part of the brain occupied while working.

I got ADHD adjacent issues and this method has helped. Done a lot of task switching and it’s frustrating because there’s always some wasted time at the start where I’m getting back into the workflow, so anything that can stop interruptions is good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just don't play games when my meds are kicking in for exactly that reason lol, but my ADHD isn't *terrible* (I don't think so anyway, diagnosed in my late 20s so still figuring this all out) so not going to tell others how to manage.

Would online games work? My immediate thought was Space Station 13, you do need to pay attention to it to some extent but most jobs/rounds will have a lot of "downtime" where you don't really have anything that you need to do. That said, there's always stuff you can find and do if you feel like it so maybe not the best option if you might hyperfocus on it

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Two games I've played extensively for this purpose, but I could use something new:
Elite Dangerous - you spend a majority of your playtime waiting for autopilot to take you from one jump point to the next. It's pretty much the ideal game for this (I even get to be all immersed and pretend I'm sitting at a desk in a spaceship doodling while I wait to reach the jump gate or whatever)

Maaaaybe Red Dead Redemption 2? Once you get out of the snowy intro area of the game, it takes quite a while to ride anywhere between missions but has a 'cinematic mode' you can activate where your horse automatically goes there and you don't have to control it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain of Industry - it's a factory builder that's largely free of micromanagement and it has a nice slow pace and is an excellent game, but now that I've played a bunch of it I can't stop myself from fast-forwarding constantly and spending all my time planning ahead and optimizing. The main reason it works for this while other factory builders don't is because there's no player character running around the world, you control everything RTS style with a freely movable camera. Something like Factorio involves lots of running around exploring the world and building long conveyor belts at the speed of your character's movement, whereas CoI just lets me click the start of a conveyor then zoom my camera over to the end and place it, then wait while it builds.

maybe take a look at factory town, pretty sure there's a speed up option though

also you might be able to find a dying online game where you can do your art while waiting on matchmaking

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Probably not what you mean and way too rough to make a general recommendation, but the original Syndicate on DOS was pretty good for this. You have to wait a set period in real time for research and upgrades to complete or money to come in. In college, I would keep the game running in the background on Dosbox while attending classes, then field my newly outfitted death squad while riding the train home.

It was a weirdly immersive experience, and if anyone knows of other games that cause this feeling, I'm open to suggestions.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Probably not what you mean and way too rough to make a general recommendation, but the original Syndicate on DOS was pretty good for this. You have to wait a set period in real time for research and upgrades to complete or money to come in. In college, I would keep the game running in the background on Dosbox while attending classes, then field my newly outfitted death squad while riding the train home.

It was a weirdly immersive experience, and if anyone knows of other games that cause this feeling, I'm open to suggestions.

Would Jagged Alliance 2 be for you? I think its the best game of all time but I wonder if maybe it would be too much micromanaging (it's turn based combat, among other things) but I think you would get a similar sense of immersion from it. I played Syndicate once so I think I might know what your talking about.

Play the vanilla version first, then check out 1.13 patch. You will be way too overwhelmed with everything if you start with the patch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also just thought maybe Kairosoft games? They're basically all the same game so take your pick. They're sort of semi-idle with a lot of stuff you CAN do but from memory it's often time-gated and there's a lot of waiting for projects to complete.

They were/are originally mobile games and they feel a bit like they're going to verge on predatory monetisation stuff (pay X to complete construction etc) but never actually do, they're just genuine and really satisfying little games that they churn out with incredible consistency.

All this info is 5-10 years old so could be outdated but I dunno, worth a look

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

It's not about limiting how much I can play per day, but how much I can do at one specific time before the game forces me to stop interacting with it for a brief period of time. With something like Animal Crossing or a MMO with stamina limits, I'll exhaust everything there is to do in one sitting with unbreaking laser focus. More about wanting something that forces me to play it at a slow pace that I can play absent-mindedly in the background throughout the day.

Mount and Blade lets you crank the time scale up on the world map so travel becomes extremely fast and there's not much downtime. Pirates! unfortunately requires constant manual navigation, you can't just click a city on the world map to start auto-sailing there :( The first Rebel Galaxy is the same way, Google says the second has autopilot but wasn't it more of a straight up action shooter game?

E:D in particular works because the balance between uptime and downtime is like, 30-60 seconds of interacting with the game followed by 3-10 minutes of not interacting with it while it autopilots, with occasional opportunities to do something more involved (docking at a station, trading, cracking an asteroid open, etc). There are a lot of trading/merchant type games but none that I'm aware of that give you so much downtime that you can't fast-forward through (because of E:D's insistence on being a pseudo-MMO, which is not a great design decision overall but makes it ideal for this specific purpose)

The phone games with stamina limits are like: 2 hours of playtime followed by 22 hours of downtime which isn't what I'm looking for. And they're not even very fun games :argh:

Mad games tycoon (2)? If you can resist the urge to speed up too much

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Looking to CoOp Turn Based Tactics games PC - be cool if there's a western I missed like Hard West that offers CoOp.

Anything TBT that allows 2 or more players that's decent is a worthwhile suggestion - cheers!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any RPGs where every enemy is an actual character with their own name, personality, and wants? Fallout: New Vegas is kinda like this, but there's still a lot of enemies who are basically Generic Legionnary Number 15.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chamale posted:

Are there any RPGs where every enemy is an actual character with their own name, personality, and wants? Fallout: New Vegas is kinda like this, but there's still a lot of enemies who are basically Generic Legionnary Number 15.
Undertale kinda springs to mind

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

i3lueHorneT posted:

Looking to CoOp Turn Based Tactics games PC - be cool if there's a western I missed like Hard West that offers CoOp.

Anything TBT that allows 2 or more players that's decent is a worthwhile suggestion - cheers!

Across the Obelisk is really good if you're into card-based games.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Chamale posted:

Gothic, but thats just for humans. There's lots of monster enemies that are normal.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

i3lueHorneT posted:

Inkbound? Not sure if it is out yet.

Gloomhaven is probably exactly what you want. I almost forgot about it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the usual co-op TBT recommendation if you somehow haven't played it (we couldn't get into it but a lot of people like it).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

99% of enemies in Lisa: The Painful RPG have their own unique name and death quote, often with some amount of lead-in dialogue or environmental storytelling about them. it's not the same as like, fallout where you could conceivably have an extended conversation with them but it certainly adds a lot of character to the game. most of them, both names and death quotes, are pretty funny too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

i3lueHorneT posted:

I’ve played like 200 hours of Age of Wonders Planetfall in co-op. It owns.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Osmosisch posted:

Mzbundifund posted:

Seconding both of these, and AoW IV is out in may and looking v good.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

I'm checking this out thanks!

LLSix posted:

Inkbound? Not sure if it is out yet.

Gloomhaven is probably exactly what you want. I almost forgot about it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the usual co-op TBT recommendation if you somehow haven't played it (we couldn't get into it but a lot of people like it).

Inkbound? "Planned Release Date: Q2 2023"

And the other two I am familiar with yes but thanks all the same.

Likely going with DOS2 as I've owned that but yet to play it still.

Mzbundifund posted:

Was aware of AoW:P but appreciate the suggestion all the same.

Thanks for all of these replies!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DOS2 easily has the best turn-based rpg combat ever. Game owns.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

DOS2 easily has the best turn-based rpg combat ever. Game owns.

Yeah but once you play it you have to come to terms with it being the best buy a wide margin

If you decide you like that kind of gameplay you have to accept a very large step down in quality to play other games like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah but once you play it you have to come to terms with it being the best buy a wide margin

If you decide you like that kind of gameplay you have to accept a very large step down in quality to play other games like it

:negative:

I just took critical damage.