Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Maybe, maybe not, but they weren’t trying to pass off cheap 3-color junk as HG in 1993, either.

The wing kits were super crap even by the standards of the day.

Tallgees iii being all white was a shock when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Again, not HG, but stuff of that approximate quality started getting the badge only a couple of years later. The late ‘90s were weird times for Gunpla.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I dunno that looks like a pretty big step up from just a couple years before

It's really not.

Only a couple of the Victory kits had that kind of terrible coloring (the Gun EZ might be three colors for the body, but it uses them much better), and the line had partial inner frames, clear beam parts, and a high level of detail by the standards of the time. G and Wing were a step down from what Bandai had been doing, similar to how the 0083 kits were garbage compared to War in the Pocket despite being made years later.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Again, not HG, but stuff of that approximate quality started getting the badge only a couple of years later. The late ‘90s were weird times for Gunpla.
Tallgeese iii had hg on the box

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So we agree that it had no business being there.

There was a stretch where Bandai was not only perfectly willing to slap an HG badge on any old box of poo poo, it constituted the majority of their output. Grim days indeed.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

G and Wing were a step down from what Bandai had been doing, similar to how the 0083 kits were garbage compared to War in the Pocket despite being made years later.

this is especially heartbreaking to me because I grew up on G and Wing and it took until basically the last couple years to refresh those lines. very grateful for RG God and MG Wing Ver Ka though. and 0083 has some of the best mecha designs imo and desperately needs new HGs/MGs/RGs. instead they did the robot spirits ver. ANIME which look great but a gundam i cant build defeats the purpose for me

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

lol altron must've went out of stock in 5 seconds

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IG-88 posted:

lol altron must've went out of stock in 5 seconds

Yeah, any P-Bandai stuff you really want to get you should have all the item pages open at 2055 and start jamming refresh a couple of seconds before 2100 rolls around.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
That and I could see people being slow to pick up the Deathscythe Rousette if they already have a Hell EW MG

But that Altron might complete the set for people plus it only goes up on sale once in a blue moon

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sure am glad Bandai bumped the per-order limit back up to 5, real good idea there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

this is especially heartbreaking to me because I grew up on G and Wing and it took until basically the last couple years to refresh those lines. very grateful for RG God and MG Wing Ver Ka though. and 0083 has some of the best mecha designs imo and desperately needs new HGs/MGs/RGs. instead they did the robot spirits ver. ANIME which look great but a gundam i cant build defeats the purpose for me

0083 at least got HGs and a couple RGs. They're on the older side, but most of them are at least okay, as opposed to the utter crap that was the original releases. G's got Master, Nobel, and Domon's Gundams in HG, and Spiegel in MG, but the other Shuffles still don't have anything better than the old kits.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
How is the color separation with Good Smile Moderoid kits? I decided once I started this stupid hobby that I would build a gigantor/tetsujin 28 if that ever became a thing and wow, great news

I looked at some of these kits and the color separation on a few of these seem just a little too good to be true and look like they could be sticker hell?

I'm going to preorder that and maybe the Zeorymer of the Heavens (it's kind of nuts how niche a lot of their kits are, drat) but man it'll be a bummer if these have HG style stickers all over them

Does anyone out there do Moderoid reviews?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Some of their kits have stickers the ones that do usually aren't excessive about it. If you look on their catalogue site (https://www.goodsmile.info/en/) they actually have the manuals uploaded on most of their pages, which should give you a rough idea of their standards.

For what it's worth the page for that kit doesn't indicate it has any stickers, which they're usually pretty clear on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They do have some issues, like Valimar doesn't seem to have stickers or a painting guide, for its gold details.

For big chonky parts with seperate colours they should be sticker-free though. They also paint some fine details on the runner in a few cases as well rather than rely on stickers (eg Dann of Thursday's face, or Valimar's green cores from the two I have. Also most of Valimar's sword surprisingly, yet not Dann's swords).

My general read is it feels like there's a ceiling to what they're capable of doing skill/budget-wise, but they definitely seem to be pushing that limit as best they can.

Edit: Also made a totally-not-druggie purchase of small plastic baggies and a bluetooth-connected labelmaker. Gonna sort and store all my copious extra bits nice, neat, and compact.

Who wants a dime baggie of plastic hands and alternate accessories? :feelsgood:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 22, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Edit: Also made a totally-not-druggie purchase of small plastic baggies and a bluetooth-connected labelmaker. Gonna sort and store all my copious extra bits nice, neat, and compact.

Who wants a dime baggie of plastic hands and alternate accessories? :feelsgood:

I have an entire drawer, including a whole handful I threw out from the past two years of buying minis

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished up my first attempt at gunpla recently. Some things I'd do differently (ie not matte varnish spray can gold) but overall I'm pleased. Just did a little custom paint and some dry brushing on the weapons/hands/joints. Char's Zaku is probably up next.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

Does anyone out there do Moderoid reviews?

i think somebody posted their Gun X Sword Dann of Thursday in here recently which I believe is Moderoid. it looked pretty good to me!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/30msisters/status/1628590571811123200?s=20

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Please be 30 Minute Dads

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

i think somebody posted their Gun X Sword Dann of Thursday in here recently which I believe is Moderoid. it looked pretty good to me!

That was me, it's back a page or two!

edit: Was further back than I thought, so here it is quoted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wake up... Dann!

This thing has been an utter joy to build. Great colour separation, the only stickers have been a few black dots on the hand and ankle-guards, and the only thing that needs painting is the sword edges (which is fairly typical of something HG-quality, and understandable). It'll do all the sword forms too (separated, tonfa, etc), and will even partsform into the big flying sword mode as well.

The wrists on this are a hinge joint that pegs into the forearm and give it some great flexibility with the sword. They pose solidly, but can still be pulled out and swapped fairly easily.

The engineering in general is quite pleasant with this too for a non-Bandai kit, and there's a great range of posing to be had. No I will not apologize for this photo, nor will I remove it.

I was fairly right on the money eyeballing the size mid-build too; Dann works out to be about RG Eva height.

If you're a fan of Gun X Sword, the MODEROID Dann of Thursday is well worth hunting down.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 23, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nearly done with my Z'gok and of course nearly near the end I almost gently caress up! He has these small little end caps for the shoulders that make them look a little more neat. After popping the first on I noticed there was a little more to file off so I tried to pull the piece off...

...and since its U shaped I pinched it while pulling it off and it started bending inwards and getting white stress marks. :byodood:

Its not like my nub cutting was perfect anyway so its not like it was going to be perfect if it werent for this one blemish. Even when I properly file the nubs down with a nano file, to a flat smooth surface with zero bump, there's often a little white rectangle outline that even with more sanding/polish will not go away. Luckily these become hard to notice when the build is together.

e: getting random ads to buy rg z'goks from Amazon and stuff now, lol. Man, these kits are expensive in other countries. I see this little dude go for 60+ euro/dollars. Around here he's no more expensive than a HG Sinanju Stein narr ver.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

boz posted:

Please be 30 Minute Dads

There was a pretty clearly established market for cute girl kits when Bandai started 30MS, multiple companies were already doing them and several more jumped in around the same time as Bandai.

But nobody is doing cute boy kits. If Bandai launched 30 Minute Brothers they'd be opening up a brand new market

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want my himbo GM-Bro

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Barring my backordered Qubeley Embellir arriving these are my projects for probably the next few months. I'd seen a picture of the Sazabi box before but god it really is gigantic in person isn't it.

I know Mr Color does some metal colours you can buff up into a real metal finish so I will definitely be getting some of that, I am really not a fan of the yellow even if it is film-accurate. I hate mixing so plan on finding some closest-approximations to the manual-suggested mixes and go from there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Vallejo Metal Color also makes a line of really, really good airbrush ready acrylics if you're interested.

I like Mr Metal Color for some things bc it leaves realistic looking grit in the recesses, but VMC knocks it out of the park for most metal paintjobs and it's way easier to handle.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Marx Headroom posted:

Vallejo Metal Color also makes a line of really, really good airbrush ready acrylics if you're interested.
I might be! Does it give an actual metal finish or is it similar to Mr Color Metallic GX where it's more of a sparkly gloss?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

warning: effortpost incoming

finished my first real painted build since like 20 years ago glopping unthinned testors on "hg" wing kits. the initial inspiration is actually our handheld dyson vacuum lol. i liked the color scheme and wanted to try it on a gundam

ultimately i want to do this on a HGUC V2 Buster - which is on the way - but the Victory was $15 locally so I used it for a test drive. first I drew what I wanted to do:

then I partially assembled, primed, painted, assembled, top coated (i would've done gloss but my shop only had semi gloss which seemed to work fine), panel lined, put waterslides, and finally flat coat. all rattle cans. good learning experience; for the effort involved i understand the need for an airbrush now. you can get away with rattle cans but it really is costly and pretty imprecise. this was my second time using waterslides and i used tamiya mark fit this time; seems like it worked great. the waterslides were from a bandai hathaway set which includes some anaheim logos, and there's a throwaway line in the wiki that its rumored that anaheim eventually bankrolled league militaire, so I developed a little fiction in my head that this is an early V prototype that Anaheim eventually handed over to LM in the late UC.

i think the time i put in really paid off, i'm very happy with it. and getting to decide on the colors and decal placement really makes it feel like my own. ultimately I'm going to continue with my little headcanon; that in the late UC anaheim returns to its operation stardust designs and combines them with the victory prototype to create a combination GP series and V series. i started thinking about how the GP series was named for flowers, and obviously the word Victory in the V series, and came up with a flower that stands for Victory: the Gladiolus. which coincidentally is my girlfriend's favorite flower. cool coincidence! so my ultimate plan is to kitbash the GP03S backpack and skirt onto the V2 in the Buster configuration, with the dyson color scheme, to create this:

anyway i tend to hyperfixate but never follow through so i'm proud of myself for at least getting through the prototype. if i ever do the final Gladiolus I will post it here!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

gently caress yeah, lets go. This guy is cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mindblast posted:

gently caress yeah, lets go. This guy is cool.

Aww, the shoulder joint on mine is too loose, gotta find my clear nail polish.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

haha it can't hold the position for long. the shoulder is fine but all the other parts of the tube arm noodle flubber way too easily and so it wants to topple all the time.

I dont want to wear out the noodle tubes too much, too.. I heard there's such a thing as "early rg syndrome" or whatever so yeah. :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

JoeGlassJAw posted:

the initial inspiration is actually our handheld dyson vacuum lol. i liked the color scheme and wanted to try it on a gundam

lol

quote:

I am sorry. I should not have loled.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

lol

I am sorry. I should not have loled.

lol away! it is a very silly source of inspiration. but i want to find more mundane things to take inspiration from because its a fun exercise. i abandoned a zaku project based on my shoes but i'll come back to it some day

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Purple needs to pop more, maybe metallic paint or something? It gets lost at a distance in the grey

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's not silly at all and actually the idea of shoe colourways reminded me of one of my favourite sneakers ever and what is probably going to be my MG Strike's colours:

The Jeff Staples Pigeon Dunks

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone use the gift registry on gundam planet i cant figure out how to add items to it

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Now I want to see a weird Nike commercial with Ortega in it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

lol away! it is a very silly source of inspiration. but i want to find more mundane things to take inspiration from because its a fun exercise. i abandoned a zaku project based on my shoes but i'll come back to it some day

Frankly a line of these would make the sneaker collectors go bonkers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The announcement teased yesterday turned out to be 30 Minutes Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_sjyNSqTf4WHrTu5rq5LPg

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The announcement teased yesterday turned out to be 30 Minutes Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_sjyNSqTf4WHrTu5rq5LPg

Ah, countdowns to countdowns. My favorite modern trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

JoeGlassJAw posted:

the waterslides were from a bandai hathaway set which includes some anaheim logos, and there's a throwaway line in the wiki that its rumored that anaheim eventually bankrolled league militaire, so I developed a little fiction in my head that this is an early V prototype that Anaheim eventually handed over to LM in the late UC.

If you want a proper canon, highlights aside, that's pretty much the color scheme of the Victory as it appears in the Crossbone Gundam manga.